Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

fullroundaction posted:

Even in a perfect scenario where all of this technology makes sense and there’s massive global adoption, why would anyone want a public ledger of all of their transactions? Like, if you somehow don’t care about the horrific universal privacy concerns and are just thinking about yourself, do you really want a timestamped permanent record of you buying poo poo at the weed store while you were on the clock at work or whatever?

not to mention the fact that most businesses don't want their books to be accessable to all of their competitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Foo Diddley posted:

not to mention the fact that most businesses don't want their books to be accessable to all of their competitors

Good point that’s its own nightmare I hadn’t thought about either

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Your powers combine, I am captain grifto (or is it captain libertian/proud boy?)

Bitcoin actually involves one of those five things.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

fullroundaction posted:

Good point that’s its own nightmare I hadn’t thought about either

Imagine if one company's security being compromised immediately and irrevocably revealed every transaction of every customer they'd ever had.

Now combine that with a world where abortion is illegal.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Imagine spending five years in jail and the whole time you're in there you're thinking about how to rekindle your twitter and reddit clout points. And gamble.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rad Russian posted:

If you think that's stupid, there are already $hundreds of millions involved in multiple ventures trying to put people's house ownership onto a blockchain. "Whoops while you were sleeping the blockchain got hacked so you're homeless now, tough luck. You have 3 days notice to vacate the premises, because SlutApe775 owns this property now according to his bithouse wallet".

These folks typically have little to no understanding of tech and even LESS understanding of the industry they're trying to revolutionize. Doesn't stop them from constantly "X but with bitcoin"ing random industries and then thinking they're the next Nikola Tesla. You don't even need an interesting or creative scam whitepaper. Just take something that already exists, propose doing it with a blockchain, and get some dumb folks to invest.

theres a nonzero chance theyll die alone after getting hit by a car in a hotel room covered in birdshit so theyll probably end up like Tesla

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Bitcoin actually involves one of those five things.

Don't forget what's missing: pragmatism and ethics

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The Wolf of Wall Street has been invoked in this thread about a million times. Tonight prime video was like "hey, that movie is available now. wanna watch it?" so I was like "sure".

It was like having the past two years of this thread condensed into three hours, but with all the inlined crypto-brainworms tweets replaced by snappy dialogue. The first 30 minutes of that movie are literally the playbook for every one of these scams. The rest of it is how every cryptobro imagines themselves, until the last 45 minutes which is the part that their Dunning-Kreuger assures them will never happen because they're far too smart for that.

I know I'm the last person in the thread to see this movie and realize all this, but it was so transparent that I had to come post this anyway.

Also, Joanna Lumley was a delight. Should have been more of her in the movie.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

drk posted:

Well folks, time to close the thread. There's not one, but thirty five very good web3 ideas here (copied for your reading pleasure from twitter)

just kidding, these are all terrible

so we’ve got

a. a contract
b. a database
c. money

hell yeah i’m in

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I missed my chance to BUY THE DIP

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mdxi posted:

The Wolf of Wall Street has been invoked in this thread about a million times. Tonight prime video was like "hey, that movie is available now. wanna watch it?" so I was like "sure".

It was like having the past two years of this thread condensed into three hours, but with all the inlined crypto-brainworms tweets replaced by snappy dialogue. The first 30 minutes of that movie are literally the playbook for every one of these scams. The rest of it is how every cryptobro imagines themselves, until the last 45 minutes which is the part that their Dunning-Kreuger assures them will never happen because they're far too smart for that.

I know I'm the last person in the thread to see this movie and realize all this, but it was so transparent that I had to come post this anyway.

Also, Joanna Lumley was a delight. Should have been more of her in the movie.

Don't worry I've never seen that movie either

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Jordan Belfort (the real life guy, not the character played by Leonardo DiCaprio) was heavily against cryptocurrency and then uhh later "changed his mind" about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies when the price went crazy. he also promised to pay the restitution he owed with the proceeds of the book and movie deal but he only paid back like ~$20000 vs the 1million+ he got from his books and the rights to the movie.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just read that some moron is trying to get a city council in Wales to pay for a search through >110,000 tons of garbage at the dump to find his hard drive full of nearly 200 million dollars of bitcoin and they are telling him to gently caress off. lol

Currency of the future

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I don't think i've ever laughed as hard as anything as that "quaaludes kicking in" scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicfFxaYVyM

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 26, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

I did my own research..

I alternate between pity and contempt for these people. I like how 'i did my own research' is just a red flag for a mark now.

Well you have to admit it sounds better than 'I ignored all expert advice and sought out YouTube videos that told me what I wanted to hear'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tunicate posted:

I missed my chance to BUY THE DIP

No you didn't, the promotion just started

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

No you didn't, the promotion just started

You still shouldn't, because when you dip I dip we dip.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Pretty sure Costco already has a sellable secondary-market temporary membership system, it's called a Costco gift card.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

You still shouldn't, because when you dip I dip we dip.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/wealth/status/1551918402633097216

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up, but it sounds like there's other signs the SEC is thinking about maybe actually doing its job vis a vis Coinbase. Apparently there's a separate investigation unrelated to that insider trading test case, in which they're kicking around some of Coinbase's own products (including their stablecoin) as well as tokens listed on their exchange.

Bloomberg News posted:

Coinbase Faces SEC Probe on Crypto Listings; Shares Tumble

Coinbase Global Inc. is facing a US probe into whether it improperly let Americans trade digital assets that should have been registered as securities, according to three people familiar with the matter. The company’s shares dropped as much as 9.2%.

The US Securities and Exchange Commission’s scrutiny of Coinbase has increased since the platform expanded the number of tokens in which it offers trading, said two of the people, who asked not to be named because the inquiry hasn’t been disclosed publicly. The probe by the SEC’s enforcement unit predates the agency’s investigation into an alleged insider trading scheme that led the regulator last week to sue a former Coinbase manager and two other people.

Tensions bubbled up further July 21 when the SEC accused one of the company’s former employees of violating its insider-trading rules by leaking information to help his brother and a friend buy tokens just before they were listed on the platform. While the agency didn’t allege wrongdoing by Coinbase, the SEC said it had determined that nine of the dozens of digital tokens the men traded were securities -- including seven the exchange says it lists.

Federal prosecutors in Manhattan also charged the three men with wire fraud conspiracy and wire fraud.

In response, Coinbase put out an entry on its blog titled: “Coinbase does not list securities. End of story.” Grewal pointed out that the Justice Department chose not to file securities fraud charges, despite reviewing the same facts as the SEC. He also said that before listing tokens, Coinbase analyzes whether an asset could be considered a security and “also considers regulatory compliance and information security aspects of the asset.”

Investigations by the SEC’s enforcement unit can lead to the regulator suing companies or individuals.

Coinbase, which went public last year, previously acknowledged that it has faced scrutiny from the regulator. In its first-quarter earnings report, the firm said it had “received investigative subpoenas from the SEC for documents and information about certain customer programs, operations, and intended future products, including the company’s stablecoin and yield-generating products.”...

(as of this post, COIN is down $8, or 12%, today.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Strong Sauce posted:

Jordan Belfort (the real life guy, not the character played by Leonardo DiCaprio) was heavily against cryptocurrency and then uhh later "changed his mind" about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies when the price went crazy. he also promised to pay the restitution he owed with the proceeds of the book and movie deal but he only paid back like ~$20000 vs the 1million+ he got from his books and the rights to the movie.

Also the movie got funded with money stolen from a Malaysian economic development fund. Every aspect of that story is fraud and crimes.

istewart posted:

It’s so hilarious that the ridiculous ”rent out your Costco membership” example keeps coming up. These people are touting revolution, but their thinking is so mired in consumer capitalism that the best they can come up with is ideas for realizing surplus value from consumption.

The “rent out your home computer for a distributed data center” idea is just as stupid. Data locality is one of the most important problems in distributed computing, just as inventory and routing are in warehousing.

It's the fundamental problem of Web3. The whole thing is supposed to be a rejection of the centralization of the internet into a few moderated platforms, but all it does is monetize every interaction in ways we don't want or need. In the end the beneficiary is the...centralized platform this whole thing is supposed to be in opposition to as the system needs a blockchain and some form of exchange for whichever stupid token or chip or coin they want to use as the means to monetize things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
With how Bitcion goes that news is gonna somehow stabilize the price

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

docs.audius.org posted:

all the content, information and data on Audius is stored and indexed by a growing network of third-party node operators, rather than by the Audius team.

To ensure this content can be trusted and maintained, node operators are required to provide collateral or ‘stake’ as a bond to service the protocol. This stake, denominated in $AUDIO, ensures that node operators have tokens at risk that can be slashed, or taken, in the event of malicious or poor behavior.

By using $AUDIO tokens as collateral, anyone with the proper hardware requirements can join as a node operator in a completely permissionless fashion. The more $AUDIO staked to the protocol, the more secure the network becomes and the less vulnerable it is to outside attacks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ah, if I presume every artist in the world joins this and every music listener in the world uses it, then my smart contracts work great to distribute payouts. Much better than the current system of laws written by representative democratic institutions, blech.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Pretty sure Costco already has a sellable secondary-market temporary membership system, it's called a Costco gift card.

How do I make money when my family buys a CostCo gift card.

And hey check this out: if someone steals your wallet they can spend all the funds in your gift card, nothing you can do. But if your ownership is recorded on the blockchain, can't steal that!

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1551905720022343682

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The whole jewelry on the blockchain thing still breaks my brain completely.

A big poing of jewelry was some bloviating nonsense about "oh, look at this 20 carat diamond embedded in a solid Egyptian gold ring, it's worth 20 bajillion dollars" with one major difference: in the end you at least had a loving ring to put on your finger.

Both markets don't really make sense so they have that in common i guess.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

You're looking for the CostCo Grift card.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

VitalSigns posted:

lol I googled it and it looks like people sell gift cards with a $0 balance on ebay for the 1-time warehouse access. So even in the extreme case where someone just HAS to turn it into a secondary market, it already exists.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cum, but on the block chain.

I'm into griftdom, and blockchain denial.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Monetize your jizz with JizzWorld NFTs. Rent out your jizz to your friends and neighbors and cash in on all the jizz income you never knew you had.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

fullroundaction posted:

Even in a perfect scenario where all of this technology makes sense and there’s massive global adoption, why would anyone want a public ledger of all of their transactions? Like, if you somehow don’t care about the horrific universal privacy concerns and are just thinking about yourself, do you really want a timestamped permanent record of you buying poo poo at the weed store while you were on the clock at work or whatever?

I don't know, I still find it weird that people treat Venmo like a social network and make sure everyone knows that they paid their friend back for that pizza the other day

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Today I'm scheming of ways to tokenize, gamify, and transactionalize my furniture. This loving bookshelf is just sitting here, holding books, and generating no wealth for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SettingSun posted:

Today I'm scheming of ways to tokenize, gamify, and transactionalize my furniture. This loving bookshelf is just sitting here, holding books, and generating no wealth for me.

What about your chairs? Pay Per Seat. We're talking about it, you're thinking about it. Just sayin'.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/w89s2g/accidentally_purchased_35000_worth_of_ethereum/

quote:

Accidentally purchased $35,000 worth of Ethereum.

I don’t actually have the funds in my bank account. I was trying to purchase $35 of Ethereum and than I was adjusting prices and messing around and than accidentally hit confirm order to $35,000 worth of ether. What is going to happen. I’m tripping out because I don’t want anything to happen to my account besides remove the 23 coins I just bought. Help me!!

quote:

They will lock your account soon as it bounces.

Then you will have to click the 'resolve' button on the screen and redeposit the missing funds.

If you do not submit a new ACH deposit, or wire the money for those funds, your account will remain locked and you won't be able to buy/sell coins, move coins, or move the existing USD in your account, even if it's truly yours. Everything will be locked.

Then you'll have to contact support (use the phone, it's easier). They will email you a case number. Use that case number to talk to support on reddit.

Then they will do a reversal on the coins you bought to get their money back. Once that transaction has happened, you will gain access to your account. It could take weeks or months, based on reports of others.

So if you plan to trade, you better have another trading account set up at some other exchange, until your Cb account gets unocked.

Also, your bank is going to send you an 'urgent' letter in the mail stating your account was overdrawn and they will charge you an overdraft / fee.

Wow so much better than using a loving bank

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Code is law, but the code can't even check if you have the right balance before withdrawing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

HappyHippo posted:

Wow so much better than using a loving bank

God I love the future

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nothing says important financial discourse like the “Wave to say hi” discord alert with a cartoon dog mixed in

Sup?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

That 35 part thread of goofball use cases didn't do it but after this I'm convinced that "tascha" account is satire, there's no other explanation

No one can be that stupid and operate a keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Correct me if I’m wrong, but even that is only possible because Coinbase is a centralized exchange and these transactions aren’t even happening on the blockchain.