Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

ShaneB posted:

You can play recent AAA games from the PS4 era (e.g. Death Stranding) that look outrageous in native screen rez at high/ultra at like stable 40-45FPS on a portable system with great controls, a great screen, and good speakers, and pay a whopping $550 for it. Or cheaper if you just want the barest bones one and throw in a $50 512GB SD card.

It's friggen' outrageous.

I get that if people wanted to play it docked at non-720p res, or their lifestyle and gaming habits made them have the desire to play a really high-end game for more than 2 hours before recharging, then I can get there might be some disappointment. For me it's largely it's exceeded my every expectation, which was entirely based around not being tied to a PC screen and instead playing on my sofa, in bed, or while traveling.

Pretty much this. I dig that you can mess around with it and configure everything but frankly I haven't bothered much other than setting the fps to 40 (which looks fine to me) getting the epic store working add adding games from there to steam.

Too busy playing great games that I'd never otherwise get round to playing on my gaming desktop. Its great for the train, the sofa and a replacement for the temptation of lovely mobile games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Has anyone got GOG cloud saves working with the deck? I've got some backlog games I'd like to work through but I don't want to start them over again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to see game crash reports? I had RDR2 and rear end creed Egypt crash during the benchmarks and I’m curious what’s up with that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GTO posted:

This looks like good info, will try it thanks.

That said vampire survivors thrashes the deck harder than AAA games once you're past the 20 minute mark and there are thousands of projectiles flying around.

Note that, in a situation like that, you'd definitely be CPU limited (due to tracking a bunch of objects in play at once) as that game is definitely not GPU intensive! You could manage by setting the power limit at an appropriate level (again, about 11 W is where diminishing returns kick in, especially on battery) and lowering the GPU frequency, which should allow the APU to direct more of the available power to the CPU.

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird how Dishonored 2 can't hit a solid 60fps on the lowest settings, yet bumping everything up to ultra only sacrifices maybe 0-5 fps. There's bascially no point in not playing it on max setting because it barely gives the game a performance boost at all.

Animal posted:

Sounds like it’s CPU limited

What he said. Turn on the performance overlay, you're likely at 100% CPU and <100% GPU utilization. In other words, the GPU isn't being stressed with the graphical load while the CPU is struggling to send more frame data to the former, and thus you have overhead to increase graphical complexity.

Chinook posted:

Ohhhh poo poo, just got my email for the 512. I have a couple of questions-

1. What kind of stuff should I buy for this thing? I’m only going to be playing it at home and likely not on a TV. Screen protectors? What other accessories are needed? I can use Amazon to get that stuff here before it actually arrives I suppose.

2. What can I do with these 68,000 steam points I just got?

I put a tempered glass screen protector on everything, even my Dreck's matte display. You probably will want a USB hub with power input at some point, even if you don't need video output, and also extra storage is nice (so one with extra SD slots and/or USB ports is recommended, also don't forget to buy SD cards, although you missed the Prime Day 1 TB for $110.) I grabbed a silicone sleeve/skin thing for mine and I like it.

triple sulk posted:

After a few days I'm pretty whelmed by this thing to be honest. I haven't touched it much aside from poking around in Skyrim a bit, and it just feels kinda pointless unless you totally want to play ROMs but never actually do that because the idea of it is more appealing than the reality of doing so when you played those games two decades ago. Loading up Doom, it seems to run like rear end in outdoor areas and I don't consider 30-35FPS at 720p to be a good benchmark for a six year old game with a what's supposed to be an incredible graphics engine. Rocket League and P4G run fine but... who cares?

The ergonomics are fine if not great (though the touchpads and back buttons feel useless), the battery life is pretty poo poo, and it just feels underpowered as a whole. I know we're not talking full console performance or anything but it seems to struggle with a modern games past 720p and I'm finding it hard to see the point. I have an A1 MicroSD which is supposedly useless for Windows and ordered one of the Samsung A2s. I figured I'd see if it was any better with Windows on it for certain games that don't work due in SteamOS to lack of EAC or something else, but I don't really have my hopes up. The built-in desktop mode is cute but feels a little bit hacky.

It shouldn't be hard to resell if I decide to, but I have the sinking feeling people are afraid to admit that it's a really flawed piece of hardware because that would admit to wasting money on it. The previous statement mostly applies to the 512GB model since I don't know if the value proposition is really there, and the reliance on Linux is arguably holding it back even further.

Am I missing something or is it just not for me?

Maybe you don't have an extensive Steam library, because I (and everyone else here) has had no difficulty finding stuff to run on the Dreck! Set it at 40 Hz & 40 FPS limit, 10-11 W TDP and that should give you a good compromise between performance and power efficiency.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how the hell is OP only getting 35fps on DOOM 2016 at 720p???? that can’t be right

I haven't tried it myself (I have it on Switch if I want to play mobile, otherwise if I have a FPS on Steam then I prefer to play it with mouse & KB) but this is where I'd suggest running the performance overlay to see what's going on.

Also, the original Doom runs at 35 FPS, maybe that's actually what he's talking about? :imunfunny:

Elea posted:

Considering a Steam Deck but more and more I think 90% of what I want is something with the same form factor that just plays from my PC. I'll give up the travel portability for anything that plays well in bed either wired to my laptop or on the same network. And presumably something that's just a screen, controller and speakers would be cheaper and nicer to hold. Is there a compelling device that already does this?

You're describing a PC version of the Wii U. But yeah, Steam Link (and a phone/controller, maybe the Ayn Odin or similar) would do this.

uiruki posted:

My thought would be maybe the Deck really wants to charge at 15V - I charge it on a portable Anker 30W charger which puts out 2A at 15V and even though it's not the 45W of the included charger it doesn't complain. Meanwhile a quick search suggests the Mac 87W charger puts out 20, 9 and 5 volts over USB PD but not 15. On the other hand that new 140W charger will give out a full 5 amps at 15 volts which is more than enough to keep it happy.

I wrote recently about having a 30 W Anker PSU charge the Dreck just fine, partially because it does up to that power output at both 15 & 20 V.

Dramicus posted:

Also not all USBC cables support the same charge levels. USBC is a bit of a mess of a standard.

"Standard" USB-C-to-C cables are 3 A, meaning they support up to 60 W (@ 20 V) while proper e-marked cables can do 5 A (so 100 W @ 20V.) That's it.

There are other considerations, like the plethora of USB 2 data-rate USB-C cables whereas the connector was introduced with the USB 3.1 spec revision, but we're just talking about power here, so no, it's not a mess at all, you have two options.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I don't see myself buying any more Switch games that aren't Nintendo exclusives. The Switch is back to being what every Nintendo console I've ever had has been - a Pokemon machine.
And if I ever get around to setting up emulators even that might gently caress off.

The Switch is still useful for less-demanding games even if they're multi-platform. Think retro side-scrollers, metroidvanias: Blasphemous, Dead Cells, Celeste, Contagion, Bloodstained, etc. Like, anything the Switch can run well I'd rather let it run and save the Dreck for more demanding (or non-Switch) titles, especially considering both devices are pretty storage-limited. So the Switch can have the GTA 3/VC/SA games while the Dreck can run GTA 4/5, for example. Also, I noticed the Switch has some of the older Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed games available, and the Dreck should be able to handle the newer ones.

Also the original Switch (so not the newer, more efficient variants) only consumes up to about 10 W total system draw under full load (18 W if also recharging the battery) so it can get good longevity by itself, but especially from a power bank if you're off-grid.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Atomizer posted:

The Switch is still useful for less-demanding games even if they're multi-platform. Think retro side-scrollers, metroidvanias: Blasphemous, Dead Cells, Celeste, Contagion, Bloodstained, etc. Like, anything the Switch can run well I'd rather let it run and save the Dreck for more demanding (or non-Switch) titles, especially considering both devices are pretty storage-limited. So the Switch can have the GTA 3/VC/SA games while the Dreck can run GTA 4/5, for example. Also, I noticed the Switch has some of the older Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed games available, and the Dreck should be able to handle the newer ones

At this point I don't trust the Switch to run ANYTHING well unless it's made by Nintendo themselves.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

At this point I don't trust the Switch to run ANYTHING well unless it's made by Nintendo themselves. Digital Foundry makes a video about it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Also valid

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One advantage of the Switch is that It Just Works™. For the games that perform well on the console, there's no tinkering or configuration really required; you just plug and play. The Deck's extremely granular config options are a different type of benefit; if the Switch had them, you would definitely be able to coax more performance (or at least much better battery life) out of the console, but Nintendo's catering to parents with kids and the somewhat less tech-literate set than Valve.

Anyways, my Switch will still be seeing plenty of use even if I never buy another third-party game for it. I still have a fair-sized backlog for the Switch, mostly bought before the Deck made PC gaming much more attractive due to portability.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Atomizer posted:

The Switch is still useful for less-demanding games even if they're multi-platform. Think retro side-scrollers, metroidvanias: Blasphemous, Dead Cells, Celeste, Contagion, Bloodstained
Bloodstained - even post-patch - isn't exactly high on the list of "games that perform well on Switch". The patch reduced all the problems with the game but eliminated none of them. Assuming you're talking about Ritual of the Night and not Curse of the Moon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shitstained (on the switch)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That trademark QoP eloquence

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Bloodstained - even post-patch - isn't exactly high on the list of "games that perform well on Switch". The patch reduced all the problems with the game but eliminated none of them. Assuming you're talking about Ritual of the Night and not Curse of the Moon.

It runs, looks, and plays like absolute dogshit on the Switch. Bloodstained was the first game I played and beat on the Deck because I was so massively disappointed in the Switch port.

Not even being able to hit a steady 30 FPS is so bad. I can’t believe they left the game like that.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

It runs, looks, and plays like absolute dogshit on the Switch. Bloodstained was the first game I played and beat on the Deck because I was so massively disappointed in the Switch port.

Not even being able to hit a steady 30 FPS is so bad. I can’t believe they left the game like that.

Release now, patch later. The new motto.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They did patch it a bunch but it only reduced the frequency of the crashes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can’t wait to play it on Deck. The Switch port is one of the biggest pieces of poo poo ever.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Do emails still just go out on Monday and Thursday?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Has anyone got GOG cloud saves working with the deck? I've got some backlog games I'd like to work through but I don't want to start them over again.

Maybe it depends on the game, but for GoG Battletech I just copied the save files from my PC to the Deck and they worked fine.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a way to see game crash reports? I had RDR2 and rear end creed Egypt crash during the benchmarks and I’m curious what’s up with that.

For games run with Proton, certain types of crashes will dump relevant files in either /tmp/proton_crashreports/, or somewhere in the ~/.steam/steam/ directory. You should be able to find them by searching for .log files. The filename will contain the game's appid and a timestamp. E.g.:

code:
find ~/.steam/steam/ -name '*.log'
If it doesn't dump a crash log there, you can use Proton's debugging stuff to get a Wine log. See the bottom of the Proton README for more info, and this blog post for info about analyzing Wine debug logs. Enabling Wine debug logging will impact game performance.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I take it the Deck doesn’t have a variable refresh display? That will be a big quality of life improvement for Deck 2 if/when Valve release it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't see the benefit of VRR on something like this. Not saving on power and your performance envelope is only ever going to be like 40-60fps. Seems needless.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I don't see the benefit of VRR on something like this. Not saving on power and your performance envelope is only ever going to be like 40-60fps. Seems needless.

VRR would be useful if they could do a range of at least 30-90, then you could set a FPS or TDP limit of your choice (say, 90fps/15w).

The ability to set refresh rate to 40 has been great. Without that, I would have been screeching about the lack of VRR. But VRR would be great for those games that run at 60fps 50% of the time, 50fps 30% of the time, and 40fps 20% of the time. As it is now, I just lock them to 40fps. But would be great to let it fluctuate with VRR. Doom Eternal at native resolution is a good example.

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 26, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Steam Deck runs switch games better than the switch generally, and I am digging it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can’t wait to play it on Deck. The Switch port is one of the biggest pieces of poo poo ever.

It’s amazing on the Deck. Locked 60FPS at full details with TDP dropped a few watts.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
The biggest advantage of the deck is that you can play any of the Igavanias. You don't have to settle for the bad one anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Skrill.exe posted:

The biggest advantage of the deck is that you can play any of the Igavanias. You don't have to settle for the bad one anymore.
circle of the moon is unfortunately included in that collection though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is the best castlevania?

I know the answer is aria/dawn of sorrow, of course. But I think I'd really enjoy a good -vania on the deck

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

jokes posted:

I know the answer is aria/dawn of sorrow, of course. But I think I'd really enjoy a good -vania

It's Order of Ecclesia.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

jokes posted:

I know the answer is aria/dawn of sorrow, of course. But I think I'd really enjoy a good -vania on the deck

Castlevania 64.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

Hollow Knight

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

The secret right answer is Harmony of Despair, the 4 player HD Castlevania hunting action game, that you can play in a PS3 emulator probably.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

jokes posted:

Which ones haven't you played? Symphony of the Night is probably the most well-regarded but they're all great.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Also, if for some deeply held personal reason it's not Order of Ecclesia, it's Ender Lilies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven't played Order of Ecclesia, I'll play that one next. Thanks!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The use of the term Thermal Design Power to refer to the processor's adjustable power consumption bugs me :v:

It's just power. The thing you measure with watts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The answer is SOTN unless you are a freak

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

The answer is SOTN unless you are a freak

SOTN was great at the time when its biggest competitors in entertainment were playing cup & ball or hoop rolling but today's discerning gamers prefer Castlevanias made in this millennium

(except for Bloodstained. What a stinker!)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Had my first real usage of it today on a 2 hour ferry ride, started Inscryption and next thing I knew we were there. Success!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Golashes posted:

I can't really get the emulation station thing working with several platforms. I've tried PS3, PSX, and Gamecube and Gamecube is the only one that ran ok (still ran less well than it did on desktop). I could only get PSX to load in a core that I wasn't able to mess with settings easily in and PS3 just never loaded for me (had bios for both). I'm probably missing something stupid but I didn't really care because it's easy enough to run Duckstation on the desktop and work with that.

RPCS3 is more complicated than the other emulators; you must run it in Desktop mode first and install the firmware that you can download from Sony directly. If your games are PSN PKG files, you also have to install the game into the emulator from desktop mode.

Once I did that, Steam Rom Manager saw them just fine and loaded them up as non-steam games.

If you're using Duckstation for PSX, you'll want to change the control setup to EmuDeck's Duckstation control layout - it gives some tools and quick access to the menu from the left trackpad.

Sapozhnik posted:

The use of the term Thermal Design Power to refer to the processor's adjustable power consumption bugs me :v:

It's just power. The thing you measure with watts.

To be fair here you're also not directly setting the power, just telling the system it should try to run within a given power envelope. Just because you tell it to run at 7W doesn't mean the CPU actually burns 7W.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

parasyte posted:

If you're using Duckstation for PSX, you'll want to change the control setup to EmuDeck's Duckstation control layout - it gives some tools and quick access to the menu from the left trackpad.
I'm annoyed because my quick menu didn't work but everything else does, updated emudeck and no change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All I want is OpenEmu but for the Deck, and let me add more cores to it. EmuDeck is sort of there, but not really.