Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

funeral home DJ posted:

Thanks for that mental image of Alex Jones shoveling like 300 bowls of chili down his throat simultaneously.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Globalist gulp glizzy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought Alex Jones already torpedoed this case in discovery and this was just the judgement trial? I am unclear I thought this was just going to be a summary judgement.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

I thought Alex Jones already torpedoed this case in discovery and this was just the judgement trial? I am unclear I thought this was just going to be a summary judgement.

theyre arguing over how much he has to pay out

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
fuckwad just has to go out screaming and crying like the red faced baby man he is

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Robo Reagan posted:

theyre arguing over how much he has to pay out

Oh I see so this is to determine how much he's to pay not whether he's liable because of defamation.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
A reminder that he could be arguing that, say, this is a 20 million dollar crime rather than a 150 million dollar one, instead he's trying to relitigate the case in front of the jury with a bunch of winks and nudges

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Oh I see so this is to determine how much he's to pay not whether he's liable because of defamation.

yes

he hosed around in discovery so much that the judge (the same judge in the courtroom today) just declared him in default, aka, entirely guilty

this whole trial is not about if he has to pay, this trial is about how much he has to pay. he's going to pay some kind of damages to the plaintiffs

Vakal
May 11, 2008
He's probably just trying to dick around long enough to find someone that will get him to a country that doesn't extradite.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Did they say anywhere how long this break might be?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollismason posted:

You are correct. His legal defense is just being crazy because they're Alex Jones' lawyers.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Confusedslight posted:

Should start back up in 5 minutes or so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Confusedslight posted:

The lawyers are back on the livestream and I can see people talking, but it's muted and minimized. :argh:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hasn't he moved all his assets though? Can the court still order him to pay even if he has moved his assets?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't know and wanted to ask before.

Let's say he has to pay $150 million and has the net worth to match it. How does that actually work? What gaurentee do the families have that Jones pays?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rocky vs a side of beef for the $150 million dollar championship belt, and he’s going to make sure it goes all 15 rounds.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

this thread sucks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol someone's mad

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jedi posted:

I don't know and wanted to ask before.

Let's say he has to pay $150 million and has the net worth to match it. How does that actually work? What gaurentee do the families have that Jones pays?

first step is basically the honor system. the court trusts that the party found responsible for the judgement will make a good faith attempt to pay

jones obviously will not do this. im not sure if the judge in this case can tack anything on to force jones to pay, but she's definitely of the mindset to do so since she's already maximally pissed at jones as she can be within the extent of the law

when jones doesn't pay, the parties he needs to provide payment too can sue him again to force payment, and this is when the government actually start seizing jones' assets like taking money from his accounts and making him sell his poo poo, and if he continues to not do that its jail time baby

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Hasn't he moved all his assets though? Can the court still order him to pay even if he has moved his assets?

Apparently he tried to do this and bankruptcy court said "lol no get hosed" and flipped him the bird

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jones is definitely not going to pay so possibly a chance he ends up in jail.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I fondly recall that vitality oil supplement that Alex Jones sold, but the shirtless before and after pics of him were the same, but just redder.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It was a mistake to break for lunch. Jones might have hit his chili stash in a gamble for a temporary insanity plea.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Buckle up, we’re back

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

teen witch posted:

Buckle up, we’re back

:sickos:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And no Alex!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
what does "invoking the rule" mean? if I heard that right.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

oh my god I hope one of the "experts" is dan

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Commodore_64 posted:

Alex Jones reminds me of some sort of red Slimer. Right before they deliver the ruling, a bunch of men in jumpsuits are going to burst into the courtroom and use their proton packs to trap him in an ecto prison.

Dr. Spengler, huddled beneath the table with the once-skeptical judge as Jones bounces around the courtroom creating mayhem: "Have you tried telling him you don't believe in crisis actors?"

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Tree Dude posted:

what does "invoking the rule" mean? if I heard that right.

The Rule basically means that witnesses can't see other witnesses testify. It's pretty common in Texas courts, I don't know where else it applies.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The first two amendments have got to go.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hopefully he goes full Bud Dwyer with it.

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
Does Alex Jones not have to be there?

I was looking forward to him receiving comeuppance in person but I'll take what I can get.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
The judge is doing a lot more witness prep than I have ever received when testifying in court.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bone napoleon posted:

Does Alex Jones not have to be there?

he does not have to be there, and his legal team originally said he would not be there due to various medical issues (cowardice)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

SpaceViking posted:

The judge is doing a lot more witness prep than I have ever received when testifying in court.

Some of the witnesses are infowars employees. Explaining like they're infants may not be enough to stop them from being idiots but it does provide a clean record to charge them with contempt

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

first step is basically the honor system. the court trusts that the party found responsible for the judgement will make a good faith attempt to pay

jones obviously will not do this. im not sure if the judge in this case can tack anything on to force jones to pay, but she's definitely of the mindset to do so since she's already maximally pissed at jones as she can be within the extent of the law

when jones doesn't pay, the parties he needs to provide payment too can sue him again to force payment, and this is when the government actually start seizing jones' assets like taking money from his accounts and making him sell his poo poo, and if he continues to not do that its jail time baby

Interesting. Thanks

Is a time frame usually in place for payment? Pay all within X years or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OiHarkin/status/1551998598522470401

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Did you all catch the first thing after returning from the break was the judge striking the defense's entire opening statements from the record "due to having no evidentiary value."

This is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Lmao that's the one.