Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

indigi posted:

to me it seemed like there’ll be a dedicated train that only goes end to end with shorter/slower “local” lines that make individual stops

That would require a modicum of urban planning and common sense so it will absolutely not happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

My dude have you ever heard of penthouse apartments

Or also any city or even medium to small town where there are heights and low ground of some sort?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Up-town girl, she's been living in her equitable, economically just and fair town world

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bear in mind that the Burj Khalifa, their last vanity project, is 29% empty.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that would be a decent occupancy rate for those new super-skinny skyscraper condos in nyc but they can't stop building them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Up-town girl, she's been living in her equitable, economically just and fair town world

"Uptown" usually means north though, not... higher up

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

the white hand posted:

that would be a decent occupancy rate for those new super-skinny skyscraper condos in nyc but they can't stop building them

The question you have to ask yourself is whether occupancy rate is more important than prestige. And you know the answer to that

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Failed Imagineer posted:

uptown usually means away from the coast or the river

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat gottem!

how does it feel to be absolutely owned by this correction, my guy? what an absolute blunder. get wrecked

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^° k

the white hand posted:

That fucken stupid new Manhattan skinnyscraper that's just south of Central Park, every time Im walking around and I see its stupid nonsensical profile and remember it exists I have to lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Chairman posted:

uptown usually means away from the coast or the river

I was trying to think of examples since it's not really used in my country, but my brain was just defaulting to Manhattan

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx06XNfDvk0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Failed Imagineer posted:

That fucken stupid new Manhattan skinnyscraper that's just south of Central Park, every time Im walking around and I see its stupid nonsensical profile and remember it exists I have to lol

They're all ugly as sin and total garbage and even the stupid rich dont want to live in something that's basically a spagetthi noodle in a gale

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well poo poo, if life is so unfair to our precious job creators then maybe they should "go Galt" and gently caress off to their own libertarian desert paradise.

They wouldn't last five minutes without "people" to do basic poo poo for them like wiping their fat asses.

Or have infrastructure, since that is someone else problem that I make tons of money using.

No wait, we'll have it so everyone owns their own slice of the road so you get a toll booth every quarter mile as ownership changes

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

grass toucher posted:

the :laffo: curve just makes me wonder about the tax system in say, North Korea or the USSR

laffer curve is a miracle of modern mathematics in that it's the only known curve where there's a continual negative slope from one point to another equal point.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Failed Imagineer posted:

420 park or whatever? that owns because it's falling apart so fast that the dozen idiots who live there have repeatedly had to move out for up to 18 months at a time due to water/sewer/electrical damage.

the design is literally a trashcan. not "hah hah that's funny it looks like a stretched out trash can", no, the architect proudly shows off the trash can that inspired the design.

one of the most expensive apartments illegally logged thousand year old protected cedar trees from japan for their handrails

it's just an exquisite blend of all your favorite capitalist excesses.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
While that one is also awful, I meant the even stupider 111 West 57th Street/Steinway Building tower, which is the width of a bowling alley despite being the 4th tallest building in NYC.

Its the stupidly skinny building that won't stop swaying! :thumbsup:

The gently caress is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/mrwtffacts/status/1513590089351409675?t=5wYfw8wg4NT1wjw-zgfhVQ&s=19

Failed Imagineer has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Jul 26, 2022

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
^^^^^^
Lol that's one ugly chopstick

so there's some insanely stupid poo poo going on here with "air rights" and turning unused square footage into altitude. blal bla bla a block can only have so much square footage so A) you buy what your neighbors don't use and B) you make your building stupidly small as possible so your square footage per floor is low and C) you make a bunch of useless floors with 50' cielings as "equipment rooms" because those don't count and then you can sell one penthouse condo for a half billion dollars because for 6 months it's the tallest one in manhattan (until the next tower gets built)

also you don't have to tell the planning board how tall your building is going to be until it's built for arcane reasons

also you do all this while stepping over the homeless to build a building that's 5-10% occupied at best.

e: corporate casket did a video on 432 park which is just full of "ok so they're getting ripped off to the tune of 15k a month but also 15k a month isn't really much money for them so i don't know who to root for" but the whole building being a trashfire from start to finish is completely worth watching.

imagine having more money than most families will see over 15 generations and you still have to walk up 70 flights of stairs to go home because the landlord can't keep the elevators working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gjfs_KjAH4

Harik has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Jul 26, 2022

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
by completed do they mean "they stopped working on it" because you can see through it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the apartments aren't meant to be lived in they're meant to be an investment account

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

the apartments aren't meant to be lived in they're meant to be an investment account

yeah but don't investment accounts have to have a floor and walls?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
or is that oldschool thinking and these are apartment futures that they're investing in now

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Harik posted:

laffer curve is a miracle of modern mathematics in that it's the only known curve where there's a continual negative slope from one point to another equal point.

that sounds a lot like bad math, to me. In fact, a lot of economy does. must be some sort of coincidence.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Harik posted:

by completed do they mean "they stopped working on it" because you can see through it.

Tbf I think that's a construction shot but honestly I wouldn't be surprised because these towers are just the modern Western equivalent of the giant stone currency of the Yap islanders

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Harik posted:

^^^^^^
Lol that's one ugly chopstick

so there's some insanely stupid poo poo going on here with "air rights" and turning unused square footage into altitude. blal bla bla a block can only have so much square footage so A) you buy what your neighbors don't use and B) you make your building stupidly small as possible so your square footage per floor is low and C) you make a bunch of useless floors with 50' cielings as "equipment rooms" because those don't count and then you can sell one penthouse condo for a half billion dollars because for 6 months it's the tallest one in manhattan (until the next tower gets built)

also you don't have to tell the planning board how tall your building is going to be until it's built for arcane reasons

also you do all this while stepping over the homeless to build a building that's 5-10% occupied at best.

e: corporate casket did a video on 432 park which is just full of "ok so they're getting ripped off to the tune of 15k a month but also 15k a month isn't really much money for them so i don't know who to root for" but the whole building being a trashfire from start to finish is completely worth watching.

imagine having more money than most families will see over 15 generations and you still have to walk up 70 flights of stairs to go home because the landlord can't keep the elevators working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gjfs_KjAH4

Like just live in a hotel at that point. There are so many nice loving hotels in midtown alone. You could try a new one every week. I guess it really is a case of money meaning nothing to them

Harik posted:

That's for wind I'm pretty sure. Yes, it's all very very stupid.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bear in mind that the Burj Khalifa, their last vanity project, is 29% empty.

I recently learned the Burj Khalifa isn't connected to any sewerage system so before dawn every day there are dozens to hundreds of sewerage trucks carting off the waste

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Harik posted:

Every few floors are basically empty breezeway

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuqe6sre2I

Not sure if this guy's been linked yet, but his videos are informative with just enough dry sarcasm to be funny. His Anarcho Capitalism videos are fun too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

What a weird twitter account, it mostly seems to be him obsessively pointing out completely useless levels of detail about Orlando

People are very weird about Disney for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRO-t1cUik

I guess consuming DISNEY is a major part of people's lives?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

People are very weird about Disney for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRO-t1cUik

I guess consuming DISNEY is a major part of people's lives?

I grew up and still live in central florida, believe me I am well aware of Disney Weirdos

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd love for every possible disaster to hit Disney World when the park is at record attendance. Solve a lot of problems at once.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There are far too many people who base their entire personality and individuality around "Liking Disney" and it is the creepiest drat thing when you have to interact with them. I had a coworker like that recently and they were SO EXCITED for the latest stars wars or guardian of the galaxies and he'd just go on and on about how great all the new rides looked. He absolutely loved that EPCOT was tearing up all their old stuff to replace it with [Disney Brand] THE RIDE and wouldn't shut up about it for like a week too :yikes:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Failed Imagineer posted:

While that one is also awful, I meant the even stupider 111 West 57th Street/Steinway Building tower, which is the width of a bowling alley despite being the 4th tallest building in NYC.

Its the stupidly skinny building that won't stop swaying! :thumbsup:

The gently caress is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/mrwtffacts/status/1513590089351409675?t=5wYfw8wg4NT1wjw-zgfhVQ&s=19

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hope they had to google "what building does canada really like"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's such a lovely saying, maybe it's punchier in Arabic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

I recently learned the Burj Khalifa isn't connected to any sewerage system so before dawn every day there are dozens to hundreds of sewerage trucks carting off the waste

Sewerage system is a tautology.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

greazeball posted:

I want to see the maths on going 170km in 20 minutes, presumably with a couple stops along the way
It's a continuous acceleration of 0.05 g (switching direction halfway through) or two one-minute bursts of 0.3g at each end. Wink.
However, for funsies:

Serak posted:

In reading this, I think what they are ACTUALLY claiming is that there will be a high-speed rail system that theoretically could achieve a speed of ~500km/h, not that you, a resident of LINE could actually ever travel end to end in 20 minutes. Which is bullshit, but at least remains in the realm of... err... 'physics'.

Given that they're also claiming that 'residents are no more than 5-minutes walk from amenities', and that average walking speed is ~4km/h (generously), you'd need a station every ~650m, or... 261 stations end-to-end (ignoring any vertical transport, which you cannot for a structure 500m tall) , so if your train averages 20km/h over that distance, you're lucky.
To maintain the required average speed of (a bit over} 500km/hr you'd need to ramp from 0 to 1000km/hr over 0.325km and ramp back down for the other 325km, or a bit more than 2x2 seconds. That's a continuous acceleration of around 500000/3600 m/s^2 or 140 m/s^2 or about 14Gs, reversing the direction of acceleration every 2 seconds with about 0.2 seconds to embark or disembark the train.

Eh it'd be fine.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Brought to you by the people who invented the Euthanasia Coaster

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's so much cooler than a suicide booth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do you ride the death coaster with or without your hands up?