Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Animal posted:

VRR would be useful if they could do a range of at least 30-90, then you could set a FPS or TDP limit of your choice (say, 90fps/15w).

The ability to set refresh rate to 40 has been great. Without that, I would have been screeching about the lack of VRR. But VRR would be great for those games that run at 60fps 50% of the time, 50fps 30% of the time, and 40fps 20% of the time. As it is now, I just lock them to 40fps. But would be great to let it fluctuate with VRR. Doom Eternal at native resolution is a good example.

Yeah this is pretty much inline with what I was thinking. Draw that frame when you're ready deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Xalidur posted:

Also, if for some deeply held personal reason it's not Order of Ecclesia, it's Ender Lilies.

I didn’t like Ender Lilies because it was ultimately boring to play. Interesting concept, though.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a way to see game crash reports? I had RDR2 and rear end creed Egypt crash during the benchmarks and I’m curious what’s up with that.

rdr2 needs proton version 6.3-8 to not crash every 30 mins of play and during the benchmark.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

lordfrikk posted:

I didn’t like Ender Lilies because it was ultimately boring to play. Interesting concept, though.

game is bad

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I haven't messed around too much with emulation, but I did boot up Oni for PS2. It isn't able to keep a steady 60 FPS, so I try to play with the refresh rate & FPS limit but it isn't doing anything. Do those options not work with non-Steam games?

It slows down to around 40 FPS mostly during cutscenes so everyone is just slurring through their conversations, but also sometimes when I enter new areas.

I tried playing some God Hand as well and while I can't play around with the refresh rate there either, it does maintain a constant 60 FPS right out of the box.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trucker Hat posted:

I haven't messed around too much with emulation, but I did boot up Oni for PS2. It isn't able to keep a steady 60 FPS, so I try to play with the refresh rate & FPS limit but it isn't doing anything. Do those options not work with non-Steam games?

It slows down to around 40 FPS mostly during cutscenes so everyone is just slurring through their conversations, but also sometimes when I enter new areas.

I tried playing some God Hand as well and while I can't play around with the refresh rate there either, it does maintain a constant 60 FPS right out of the box.

If you ran the EmuDeck script and installed the PowerTools utility, try turning off SMT. I've noticed that PCSX2 sometimes fails to fully utilize the CPU when SMT is enabled. Rogue Galaxy went from ~50fps to 60fps for me with lots of headroom after disabling it. (PowerTools shows up in the right-hand slide-out menu)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Trucker Hat posted:

The refresh rate and fps limits do not work well with emulators, because the consoles are only going to have dropped frames where the original hardware would. The emulator will still attempt to render all 60 (or whichever) frames but they'll get skipped weirdly. I know with a 40Hz refresh it was basically impossible to get SotN special moves to register.

To compensate for the slow hardware you'll need to dig in the options and figure out which hacks you can enable, or if there are any frameskip options in the emulator.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

lordfrikk posted:

It's fine but nothing amazing. It suffers the same fate as 90% of Metroidvanias where the levels are all super wide and horizontal instead of leveraging vertical space. An issue that Hollow Knight (pbuh) deftly avoids.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Hollow Knight is amazing. I really did love Ender Lilies though. Part of that is probably that I have a young daughter so the game made me feel a lot of feelings. But I also think it has much better combat than Hollow Knight simply by virtue of variety. The boss design doesn't get as intense, but I think HK actually went kinda overboard in the DLC.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ok, I'm annoyed by how big the deadzone is on the Deck's joysticks. We have these amazing feeling joysticks with a great range of motion, but they are not accurate near the center so you need to move them more than it feels necessary to register accurate movement. Potentiometers suck and I don't know why companies keep using them. I think I'm gonna go with the 3rd party HAL sensor replacements from Gullikit.

Here's a video from iFixit explaining the problem and the solution.

Gullikit sells drop-in replacement HAL sensor sticks for the Deck.

Edit- found it in stock
https://topgamegear.com/products/gulikit-hall-sensing-joystick-module-kit-replacement-for-steam-deck

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 27, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Skrill.exe posted:

It's fine but nothing amazing. It suffers the same fate as 90% of Metroidvanias where the levels are all super wide and horizontal instead of leveraging vertical space. An issue that Hollow Knight (pbuh) deftly avoids.

Hollow Knight has its own issues, but yeah Ender Lilies isn't great. The final boss is a horrible slog, too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Animal posted:

Ok, I'm annoyed by how big the deadzone is on the Deck's joysticks. We have these amazing feeling joysticks with a great range of motion, but they are not accurate near the center so you need to move them more than it feels necessary to register accurate movement. Potentiometers suck and I don't know why companies keep using them. I think I'm gonna go with the 3rd party HAL sensor replacements from Gullikit.

Here's a video from iFixit explaining the problem and the solution.

Gullikit sells drop-in replacement HAL sensor sticks for the Deck.

Wish there was a way to improve the touchscreen. Maybe the next version!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

jokes posted:

Wish there was a way to improve the touchscreen. Maybe the next version!

Yeah the screen is junk even by Year 2008 standards. I hope they can improve it via software (polling rate?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the best screen protector? What about traveling case? I’m going to accumulate accessories now that I’m at 47%.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It comes with probably the ideal traveling case, and I think dbrand is the go-to for device screen protectors

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the best screen protector? What about traveling case? I’m going to accumulate accessories now that I’m at 47%.

I wouldn’t bother unless you’re putting it in the same JNCO jeans pocket as your keys.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I doubt the screen is very resilient. My handheld devices seldom leave the house but eventually tend to pick up at least one scratch that’s visible/can be felt with a fingernail. My best guess for the cause is microfiber cloths picking up a tiny piece of grit that gets ground into the screen when wiping.

I’m going to try an Amfilm protector and see if I like it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

parasyte posted:

RPCS3 is more complicated than the other emulators; you must run it in Desktop mode first and install the firmware that you can download from Sony directly. If your games are PSN PKG files, you also have to install the game into the emulator from desktop mode.

Once I did that, Steam Rom Manager saw them just fine and loaded them up as non-steam games.

How's performance? Jeff Gerstmann streamed some Blood on the Sand, and it didn't look very smooth if technically playable.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

jokes posted:

What is the best castlevania?

I know the answer is aria/dawn of sorrow, of course. But I think I'd really enjoy a good -vania on the deck

the show on netflix of course though my favorite is order of ecclesia

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Rinkles posted:

How's performance? Jeff Gerstmann streamed some Blood on the Sand, and it didn't look very smooth if technically playable.

It's heavily game dependent. Dragon's Crown runs great, Siren: Blood Curse seems to run about as well as on my actual PS3, which is to say the framerate goes to poo poo as soon as you're sightjacking. That's all I tried.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Risutora posted:

rdr2 needs proton version 6.3-8 to not crash every 30 mins of play and during the benchmark.

Good to know thanks!!

I’m going to assume that BL3 might be the same issue because it’s doing the same thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just had a thought, has anyone played the Sims 4 on a steamdeck? how does it play?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't mean this in a lovely way genuinely curious before I shell out some money to get one locally (Above retail, Steamdeck doesn't ship to Kuwait)

1. What exactly runs "well" on a Deck that isn't playable on a Switch?
2. If you have a Switch + Steam deck version of games what's more comfortable to play? I don't mean things like Witcher 3 that clearly run like poo poo on Switch, more like do Indie games (Into The Breach, Slay the Spire, Rogue Legacy etc) feel better to play handheld on Switch or Deck?
3. How easy is it to dock this thing? I play my switch probably 98% handheld but I like the idea of having a steam machine you can plug in to a monitor, especially as I have to turn in my work laptop and my desktop is ancient

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't mean this in a lovely way genuinely curious before I shell out some money to get one locally (Above retail, Steamdeck doesn't ship to Kuwait)

2. If you have a Switch + Steam deck version of games what's more comfortable to play? I don't mean things like Witcher 3 that clearly run like poo poo on Switch, more like do Indie games (Into The Breach, Slay the Spire, Rogue Legacy etc) feel better to play handheld on Switch or Deck?
3. How easy is it to dock this thing? I play my switch probably 98% handheld but I like the idea of having a steam machine you can plug in to a monitor, especially as I have to turn in my work laptop and my desktop is ancient
1. Bloodstained.
3. You can buy a cheap USB hub off Amazon and have HDMI video out for the Deck. Also you could probably stream from the Deck to your desktop through the built-in Steam streaming for less overhead on the desktop than playing the game on it without buying anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

2. If you have a Switch + Steam deck version of games what's more comfortable to play?

Everything is more comfortable to play because the deck is hella ergonomic and the switch just isn’t.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Literally thousands of games

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

1. Chobits -The Person Just For Me-

2. It's about the same if you have bigass grips on your Switch.

3. You plug in a USB-C dock for a laptop. Not aware of any official docks in the wild.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 27, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They have an official dock planned, but it's been delayed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also don't expect the docking experience to ever be as seamless as the switch's. You won't be able to just plop the handheld into a dock and have the game instantly switch to your TV or monitor. You plug it into a dock, and it'll pick up the display the dock is plugged into as a new secondary display that you can use to do whatever with.

And like. It's a PC. It plays PC games. It can play almost every game on Steam well, including most new stuff. Performance-wise, this thing really can do just about every modern game at 720p 30fps with some settings tweaks. Stuff that doesn't work well or at all with it include stuff that doesn't work well with a controller or games with anti-cheat software. I was playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon earlier, which is an excellent experience on the steam deck (the entire Yakuza series is)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've seen pictures of a 3rd party dock.

In any case you don't just dunk it in because the USB port is on top. You rest it on a stand and then plug in the cable that sticks out of the stand.

Unless there are docks where you dunk it in upside-down, which would be hilarious and could block the fans if not modeled for it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks guys for the answers

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also don't expect the docking experience to ever be as seamless as the switch's. You won't be able to just plop the handheld into a dock and have the game instantly switch to your TV or monitor. You plug it into a dock, and it'll pick up the display the dock is plugged into as a new secondary display that you can use to do whatever with.

And like. It's a PC. It plays PC games. It can play almost every game on Steam well, including most new stuff. Performance-wise, this thing really can do just about every modern game at 720p 30fps with some settings tweaks. Stuff that doesn't work well or at all with it include stuff that doesn't work well with a controller or games with anti-cheat software. I was playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon earlier, which is an excellent experience on the steam deck (the entire Yakuza series is)

Yes lol I know the answer to "what does it play" is literally everything but I imagine a lot of newer AAA stuff probably doesn't run incredibly well. Like, I'm sure it CAN play Forza but I have the feeling I'd rather not. I also play a lot of MK+B stuff on PC which again wouldn't translate super well. I'm trying to remind myself what is very playable with a controller and has not/will not be ported to switch. Again I have an incredibly old PC that I don't play on a lot, so it's not like my entire library is going to get use suddenly

Yakuza is actually a really good one! I would love to be able to play the rest of the series handheld, I haven't played 3-6. A lot of Indie stuff also comes to Steam first and way cheaper than on the, but price is less of a "saving" If I'm gonna end up paying like $600 for this thing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
E: ^^^^^ you'd be surprised at how well forza runs on this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fut2cbpg4ew

Just think of it as a small gaming laptop in the form factor of a large Nintendo Switch (because it is).

SteamOS/proton is extremely impressive wrt compatibility, and basically everything runs on this thing. Most recent AAA games run at 30fps/720p, for the rest you have a decent shot at reaching 60fps most of the time. It's an excellent device, especially for those that don't have an up to date gaming pc. I'd recommend this to everyone who has even the slightest interest in pc gaming.

A well built portable gaming device that runs basically every game on steam, and including a totally open OS that can also function as a full desktop computer at this price point is actually insane imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes lol I know the answer to "what does it play" is literally everything but I imagine a lot of newer AAA stuff probably doesn't run incredibly well. Like, I'm sure it CAN play Forza but I have the feeling I'd rather not.

Nah, it runs all new AAA stuff well enough as long as you're okay with turning settings down to medium or low on some of them or accepting 30 - 40fps. It's surprisingly capable.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samopsa posted:

E: ^^^^^ you'd be surprised at how well forza runs on this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fut2cbpg4ew

Just think of it as a small gaming laptop in the form factor of a large Nintendo Switch (because it is).

SteamOS/proton is extremely impressive wrt compatibility, and basically everything runs on this thing. Most recent AAA games run at 30fps/720p, for the rest you have a decent shot at reaching 60fps most of the time. It's an excellent device, especially for those that don't have an up to date gaming pc. I'd recommend this to everyone who has even the slightest interest in pc gaming.

A well built portable gaming device that runs basically every game on steam, and including a totally open OS that can also function as a full desktop computer at this price point is actually insane imo.

Goddamn this is way better than I was expecting. Like you said I don't have a laptop I own (I don't need a personal one) but this is running stuff better than my gtx 970 old rear end desktop. I'm sure at some point games will not run as well but like, this is never going to stop getting new releases. I'm sure a 2d indie release in 2030 will work just as well as the ones today if the hardware doesn't explode but my Vita has Spelunky 1 on it and never got Spelunky 2. I dunno the more I think about this the more I think I should definitely own one it's just a matter of how much do I want to overpay and waiting a bit

Even as a "full desktop" PC though it's still running SteamOS right? I know you can install windows and go about it that way but everything I'm reading in this thread and elsewhere is like "well yes you CAN but maybe it's gonna suck"

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah desktop mode runs arch linux, but that's fine for like 95% of use cases. Software that isn't available on linux usually has a native alternative, or you can of course run it through wine/proton/emulation/virtual machine, depending on the use case.

I wouldn't recommend running windows on the deck right now, if you 100% need a device that runs on windows get a laptop or something like an aya neo. The value proposition is way worse for those though. The Deck can run windows just fine, it's just an incredible mediocre experience and you lose a lot of great stuff from SteamOS.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Little nightmares 2 is great on this thing.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I think as of now it's a better deal to get a deck than an OLED Switch, if you're just looking for a portable gaming device. While the Deck is a larger initial investment, the amount of money you save by not having to pay the Nintendo premiums on indies/ports makes up the difference surprisingly quickly.

And that's not even getting into the 'homebrew' aspects. Having a good UI and fully open OS designed for tinkering is fabulous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nah, it runs all new AAA stuff well enough as long as you're okay with turning settings down to medium or low on some of them or accepting 30 - 40fps. It's surprisingly capable.

i was gonna ask about cyberpunk, but i just looked it up on youtube instead, and it looks like it does an admirable job.

Goddamn this is way better than I was expecting. Like you said I don't have a laptop I own (I don't need a personal one) but this is running stuff better than my gtx 970 old rear end desktop. I'm sure at some point games will not run as well but like, this is never going to stop getting new releases. I'm sure a 2d indie release in 2030 will work just as well as the ones today if the hardware doesn't explode but my Vita has Spelunky 1 on it and never got Spelunky 2. I dunno the more I think about this the more I think I should definitely own one it's just a matter of how much do I want to overpay and waiting a bit

Even as a "full desktop" PC though it's still running SteamOS right? I know you can install windows and go about it that way but everything I'm reading in this thread and elsewhere is like "well yes you CAN but maybe it's gonna suck"

The caveat being that you're probably not planning on running desktop games at 720p.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just accept that many games, even ones that don't on PC, are going to require a bit of tinkering to run decently, and even if they run out of the box you're going to want to do some tinkering to get the best performance to battery life ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Is it worth hooking the deck up to a TV to play steam games on the big screen, or does it not work well/drain battery too fast?

Also, does keeping it on the charger hurt the battery? I also noticed that the charger that comes with the Deck makes a distinct but annoying humming/buzzing sound.