Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Weren't there reports of him telling people around him that he needs to be president again or he is gonna go to jail.

edit: Godammit another shameful snipe.

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

On July 26, 1948, President Harry Truman signed Executive Order 9981, which stated that "there shall be equality of treatment and opportunity for all persons in the armed forces without regard to race, color, religion, or national origin." It desegregated the Armed Services an established the President's Committee on Equality of Treatment and Opportunity in the Armed Services to recommend revisions to military regulations in order to implement this policy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wrong Theory posted:

Weren't there reports of him telling people around him that he needs to be president again or he is gonna go to jail.

Yep, from NYT and Swin over at rolling stone. Probably one of the primary reasons he wants to run again.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-2024-criminal-probes-jan6-1384379/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kesper North posted:

Are those... numbers on that vulture? Is this a military vulture? Should I be looking for an air force roundel or something...?

Condor, numbered.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm like 80% positive I know the exact spot where this was taken, but either way, great shot!

canyons are pretty great

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Took them loving long enough.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1552068076954300416?t=nY0uS-J7DD3JGf87mxgaJQ&s=19

Still likely to amount to gently caress-all, but sounds like enough people are testifying to grand juries that they couldn't keep a lid on it anymore. A lot of Pence people testifying too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

canyons are pretty great

Yo this is awesome

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There is pretty much nothing truly bad you can say about the US parks system outside quibbles

cant wait to be proven wrong in 3 posts

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Go get your parks Access passes, losers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

There is pretty much nothing truly bad you can say about the US parks system outside quibbles

Yeah, as much as I love public lands, the national parks system has a really checkered past, the knowledge of which I have to suppress every time I visit one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/04/22/us-national-parks-child-slavery-and-sacrifice/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I left New York with a Parks pass in like 2012 with a plan to camp my way across the United States. Then that government shutdown happened and I had to hobo camp and dodge state park rangers and do odd jobs for gas and cigarettes until I ended up on a friends couch in Kentucky. I've been here since and got married and bought a house and learned a trade and didn't have to live in California, so the National Parks have always treated me right in the long run

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

canyons are pretty great

I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the end of a canyon network quite like this before.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The genocide was mostly done by then, but Native Americans got pushed off indigenous land to create some of them. And like almost everything else in the United State that dates to the 19th century, depending on the specific time and state there was no lack of segregation for employees and visitors. A lot of parks Black and Latino Americans just plain weren't allowed into.

e: For the record US national parks are awesome and everyone should go visit them.

Zion NP

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 27, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

canyons are pretty great

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yo this is awesome

Seriously.

loving love me some canyons and the Southwestern desert.

Took this at Bryce.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 27, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Went out to Colorado to visit Crusty Minge for a few days earlier this summer. He took me on some state Highway between Colorado Springs and Alamosa and it was the most beautiful serene drive I’ve ever had in my life. 10/10, would recommend.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://theintercept.com/2022/07/20/wolves-yellowstone-ranger-montana-greg-gianforte/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's US 50, actually. Then US 285 to CO 17, which leads you past the alligator preserve (loving Floridians) and UFO watch tower. Best to be a passenger on the US 50 stretch.

US 160 back to I-25 is an okay drive, easier but less enthralling.

Thinking about going out to Pagosa Springs one of these weekends through the San Juans. Should be nice.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just the 25 drive South is beautiful.

Last summer, I drove out from North of Trinidad to Denver, and it took me through some of the most beautiful places I've seen down rural highways. I grabbed my wife in Denver, and then we drove back to PA together, only to have life fall apart after. Lol.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I-25 is pretty nice outside of the cities. US 50 is pretty special west of Cañon City, though, and a worthwhile detour if you're out here just sightseeing. 50 continues to Gunnison after Poncha Springs, where 285 takes me south. US 24 from Leadville to Colorado Springs is also very nice. US 40 from Denver to Dinosaur. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the drive to Pagosa Springs and back, might wait for fall colors to set in first.

There's no shortage of beautiful drives out here once you get into the mountains.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Pagosa springs is rad, not sure what off-season is, but I would go then when hopefully there are less rear end in a top hat Texans to deal with. I love SW Colorado.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The rear end in a top hat texans pretty much flood the SLV from april through november. They only really leave when the nights start cracking below 0°F. They don't seem to mind the quick bursts of snow in april and may.

I just do my shopping at 7am so I don't have to deal with them. After 9am, every place is packed tighter than a texans rear end in a pair of levis.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_Death_(Yellowstone) :haw:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Probably likely in a few days/weeks, but it would be hilarious as hell if he declares, then gets charged. It would be nice for a different form of Air Bud, where Donnie thinks you simply can't charge a presidential candidate as it's treason bullshit conspiracy they're the illegal ones!!!

DoJ won't loving charge him, because their party bosses are mortally afraid of any future Democratic presidential candidates being charged with bullshit. Joke's on them though, won't be a presidential election in 2028!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Susquehanna valley from Harrisburg to Williamsport is the most beautiful place I've ever seen in the US with the enormous caveat that I've never been further west than OKC

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm like 80% positive I know the exact spot where this was taken, but either way, great shot!

Thanks! As I recall, it was on the rim trail somewhere between Hermit's Rest and Monument Creek Vista. Or maybe between the Abyss and Mojave Point? Either way, somewhere along the Hermit's Rest road. With that kind of lighting though it's pretty much impossible to take a bad picture, so long as you've got a half-decent camera.

Kesper North posted:

Are those... numbers on that vulture? Is this a military vulture? Should I be looking for an air force roundel or something...?

Well, I can explain, but you're gonna have to pay me overtime :v:

So that vulture is a California Condor, the largest land bird in North America. They can have over a 9' wingspan, weigh over 25 pounds, and can fly hundreds of miles in a single day. They are very cool birds! In many ways they're relics of the ice age, having adapted to eat the carcasses of the megafauna that used to roam the North American continent ten to twenty thousand years ago.

In the 20th century though, their population cratered. As carrion feeders they're very vulnerable to bioaccumulation, and the use of DDT and lead bullets killed a lot of birds. By the 1980s less than two dozen birds were left in the world, and a decision was made to capture every bird still alive and to begin a captive breeding program. This was, to put it lightly, extremely difficult and expensive, in part because Condors only tend to lay a single egg every two years.

Fortunately, the program has been a success, and the Condor population has risen to over 500 birds. However, it's not without continued challenges or controversies—more Condors are still dying from various causes than are being hatched in the wild, so they're still reliant on the breeding program to survive. There's also been some who would argue that the money spent saving this one species would have been better spent on other, more effective/sustainable programs.

Today, every Condor in the wild has a radio tag attached to its wings, so they can be tracked and studied. You can even look up the history of each individual live bird, like 61 up there! https://condorspotter.com

In short, Condors are cool, thanks for coming to my program

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Also as an aside, a couple years ago I made a National Parks thread in The Great Outdoors subforum, for those who want to continue Park Chat and posting awesome park photos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933146

I've actually been meaning to write up an update for the parks I've been to this year, which have been a lot! There's so many incredible parks in this country (and also Gateway Arch)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

The Susquehanna valley from Harrisburg to Williamsport is the most beautiful place I've ever seen in the US with the enormous caveat that I've never been further west than OKC

Monongahela in WV is definitely worth a visit if you haven't been.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

All the National Park talk is making me want to do this again.

(From a PCS from CT to WA, Lincoln National Forest)

But with a focus on only camping in NPs or Forests.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Monongahela in WV is definitely worth a visit if you haven't been.

It sure is. Monongahela is probably my favorite place for outdoor recreation in the mid-Atlantic, followed closely by Western North Carolina (Asheville/Brevard/Pisgah).

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

My wife and I went on an anniversary trip in August 2020 to Bryce, Zion and the area and I loved every second. Incredible trip to not have to speak to a soul once we got there. Favorite for me was a jet boat up the Colorado river then floating a canoe back down to the launch. The area just below Lake Powell, above the first rapids where Grand Canyon raft groups put in.

Southern Utah/North Arizona is for epic scenery and making you feel tiny

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The president took time out of his busy recovery to record a message for the American people.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1551993265473323010

Thank you, Mister President. :thumbsup:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Old man yells at chuds.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current event: if anyone here makes YouTube videos (McNally) or podcasts or just records some music, hot sale.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1552295386945036289?s=21&t=r8lDKiKM1knnoBifio0UNg

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ya know who doesn't care about what you say? Fascists. poo poo they don't even care about what they say. Until there's actions nobody outside the beltway gives a gently caress anymore. The violent insurrectionists have chosen actions over words and the political party supporting them isn't going to stop. Responding with more words is just hurf blurfing our way down the drain until the next time they choose action.

And that's the optimistic approach! If they get their way the actions won't even be needed. The system they're building right loving now will just manufacture the output they want. No need to get any hands dirty.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Platystemon posted:

The president took time out of his busy recovery to record a message for the American people.

Thank you, Mister President. :thumbsup:
Can I be anti-insurrection while chanting ACAB?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Can I be anti-insurrection while chanting ACAB?

You're god drat right you can.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i don't particularly care for cops though

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

PookBear posted:

i don't particularly care for cops though

Don't worry there's a tweet for that one too

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1551677419853156352?s=20&t=0pttpvQte2lMANLj4WDLfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
almost a decent, humane reply and then of course