Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just buy em all, cause I know with catalyst they’ll likely be impossible to find in about a month.

I also play AS exclusively, so a lot more of my units see the table than classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

I'm trying to get my wife into Battletech. She want's to paint her Mech's...pink..

Apart from doing a Panther (I know there was one Mercenary group called the Whippits that used it for one Mech) that had one painted in that colour, are there are any other in-universe units that use that colour?

I had a look at the Camo Spec's site but somewhat disappointingly it doesn't provide much of an answer.

In other returning vet questions, how do you all choose what Mech you want to buy the miniature for? I presume there's a lot of "This Mech counts as this other Mech" so long as you can tell them apart and facing but I'm wondering how everyone decides to choose what Mech to represent on the table.

Pinky's Irregulars (Not Canon)

Also, seriously, just make your own Merc band. Call em something like Harley's Hotheads or Tasha's Mashers, find a scheme or try some funky stuff out and viola.

For the last question, you obviously get a Locust to represent any other Locust, but I've always been the type to look at lore or play the video games and latch onto whatever looks cool.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 25, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There's a bug in Mechwarrior Online that occasionally turns one of the maps bright pink

and another map that features pink vegetation

So her preferred color scheme would actually work pretty well in one of these theaters!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, there aren't.

The Camacho's Caballeros mercenary regiment allows their Mechwarriors to paint their 'Mechs in any scheme they like; and it wouldn't be unusual for a group of mercs to use pink in an alien world/exotic/dazzle camo that was very bright and flashy.

That was my first thought as well. Annie Sue Hurd would probably have painted here Rifleman pink. Mariposa's Valkyrie as well.

Ace Darwin's Whipits might be a good choice. They had a pink cat paw logo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

Early copies of the new printing of the Beginners Box should make an appearance at GenCon, with the full run expected this fall, yes.

Specific rules for specific 'Mechs are primarily based on their record sheet, which can come from any one of a dozen places but there are a lot of them (for basically anything in plastic) on the BattleTech site's download section, and you can get basically everything else from fan-made design programs like Solaris Skunk Werks or MegaMek/MegaMekLab.

The books will have the rules for what stuff is on the record sheet and how to play. You don't need the Clan Invasion box to play Clan 'Mechs, but it will do the trick. If you're planning to get them anyway, Total Warfare is the book with The Rules in it, if you're planning to play with 'Mechs only then the BattleMech Manual will do basically everything you need. The Clan Invasion book also comes with rules for how to use the Elementals in the box if you have any desire to use those and not get Total Warfare for some reason.

Taerkar posted:

Battletech in general does not have any requirement for models to be specific to what you're fielding. For one there are a lot more official designs (especially vehicles) than official miniatures are and in general the only real rule is each unit must be represented differently on the board and have a means of determining facing. If you're going straight up scale terrain it's better to have the correct models or something similar to it just for LoS checks and the like.

Also third party 3D printed units are generally A-OK.

Sarna.net is more or less the Battletech wiki and even includes a good bit of the rules.

Megamek is a java-based program that can be used to build forces and even play games out against friends or a not exactly competent bot with the game handling all the rules and rolls. The MekLab mentioned above is part of Megamek.

MekHQ adds a strategic/campaign layer option and can be run with either megamek or tabletop games, though inputting the latter can be a bit complicated.

Thanks for the replies! Battletech got my attention because it seemed to me that I can basically play whatever I buy right out of the box so it’s cool that that’s pretty much how it actually is with the record sheets being available online.

I’ll report back when I eventually get some mechs and manage to paint them as well. Might take a while, though, especially if I in fact want to wait for that new Beginner Box.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've had the beginner box for a little while now. Was looking to pick up the full rulebook since I've also been 3D printing some extra vehicle and infantry minis for Lancer, I thought I'd try and also get the rules that include all the extra stuff.

I know I'm looking to pick up the Total Warfare book, but I'm seeing a couple different versions. There's this:

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-total-warfare-pdf?variant=16101325733922 which I think is what I want, and then there's this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Battletech-Total-Warfare-Catalyst/dp/0979204712

Which has Classic in the name so I'm guessing this is an older edition? Could use some help here. Unfortunately my LGS doesn't have it and can't seem to order it in either so I'm shopping around a bit.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've had the beginner box for a little while now. Was looking to pick up the full rulebook since I've also been 3D printing some extra vehicle and infantry minis for Lancer, I thought I'd try and also get the rules that include all the extra stuff.

I know I'm looking to pick up the Total Warfare book, but I'm seeing a couple different versions. There's this:

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-total-warfare-pdf?variant=16101325733922 which I think is what I want, and then there's this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Battletech-Total-Warfare-Catalyst/dp/0979204712

Which has Classic in the name so I'm guessing this is an older edition? Could use some help here. Unfortunately my LGS doesn't have it and can't seem to order it in either so I'm shopping around a bit.

Those are actually both for the same edition. The one on Amazon just looks like it's from an earlier printing, so the only difference should be that the one in the CGL store has all of the latest errata.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Ah interesting, are there a lot of errata changes?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Depends on how many printings you go back. If you've got the first printing (like I do) there's... a lot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's a lot of errata, but I have an old FanPro printing of Total Warfare and nothing is very broken as written. Though I've never played with Aerospace units and those sections have quite a lot of errata.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Found a bunch of old paintbrushes I bought almost a decade ago still in their packaging AND got my ironwind order. Should I dip into metal minis now, if so, what should I be aware of when gluing/painting? Otherwise, gotta figure out what I want to paint first in my Inner Sphere Heavy Lance.

IW order:

Black Knight BL-X-KNT "Red Reaper"
Limited Edition Rifleman RFL-7X
Highlander HGN-734
Awesome AWS-8R / 8T
Lament LMT-4RC

I definitely want to hold off on the Rifleman because I don't want to gently caress up my jetpack effect...

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is a new Nova Cat mini for sale yet?

Also, I think I'm going to try to set up a local summer get together for the few clix players in my area, but open it up to any Battletech/Alpha Strike players nearby too. Another clix group in MN does that and has a lot of cross-game success camaraderie. Got no idea if any BT or AS players are in the area though.

EDIT: Five second search turned up a 150+ member group for the area.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is a new Nova Cat mini for sale yet?

Also, I think I'm going to try to set up a local summer get together for the few clix players in my area, but open it up to any Battletech/Alpha Strike players nearby too. Another clix group in MN does that and has a lot of cross-game success camaraderie. Got no idea if any BT or AS players are in the area though.

EDIT: Five second search turned up a 150+ member group for the area.

Clan Fire Star has a Nova Cat, Warhawk, Kit Fox, Cougar, and Fire Moth

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Spoilers for Empire Alone and Fiction A Question of Survival, with likely spoilers for the next book about the Ghost Bear/Rasalhague Dominion.

Throw Ghost Bear on the list of "Post ilClan places that are extremely hosed, including the Tamar Pact area, and the "Jade Falcon" - Ghost Bear Border, sounds like.

From the end of the book, it sounds the Dominion in a FedCom Civil War Battle on every planet because the Dominion didn't have a unanimous vote to join the ilClan and Alaric Wolf had a sad/mad over it and told them "Do it again, and make it unanimous, or I won't take you".

And this is serious business enough that folks are doing crazy (on an Clan Law-Basis) poo poo. Like instead of challenging your superior to a trial of grievance for his position because he lost a battle to the Jade Falcon remnant, shooting him because he wouldn't break Clan Law and start fighting again to steal back the sibkos that were taken as a result of the Trial of Possession, and immediately afterwards start the fight again yourself.

It sounds like we're getting a war version of Brexit (DomExit? IlExit?" as "Remain Seperate from the ilClan" and "we're now the ilClan's bitches" (Remain and Leave in the 3150's!) and since no place is truly all one or the other, you're going to get just about every unit in the Dominion tearing itself apart, either informally via Trials of Grievance, or formally in rebellion.

Hey, Battletech's trying to be topical.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sounds good, the Bears have just sat around being boring for way too long.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Think I'm gonna paint up my Centurion next. Gonna try going for a (assembled from various mechs) type of look.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've mentioned this before, but I've always liked to lean into the feudalism of the setting where mechs are these precious heirlooms passed down through noble houses. So while there might be standardized regiments out there, when House Steiner calls up all "knights" at the bottom of the hierarchy, a whole bunch of mechs sporting their local lord's goofy parade colors show up.

Or at least that's how I justify the absolute rainbow of mechs I have.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I feel like, when it comes to my painting, I'm try to build up a knowledge base before i start going for a slightly more unified output. That and once I have a much better understanding of what I would want my little band of mercs to actually run (aside from the obvious 4x King Crab 000).

But yeah theres definitely going to be a hint of "this mech is not new and has needed replacement parts, sometimes gaudy or outstanding pieces that truly clash with the overall look"

I imagine that mechs that participate in duels are also much like that as well.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I feel like, when it comes to my painting, I'm try to build up a knowledge base before i start going for a slightly more unified output. That and once I have a much better understanding of what I would want my little band of mercs to actually run (aside from the obvious 4x King Crab 000).

But yeah theres definitely going to be a hint of "this mech is not new and has needed replacement parts, sometimes gaudy or outstanding pieces that truly clash with the overall look"

I imagine that mechs that participate in duels are also much like that as well.

I could see merc 'mechs on a contract walking around sporting components salvaged from the opposition... and I suppose there is always room for a mech that was never repainted at all throughout its lifetime and has panels and limbs reflecting paint from a wide variety of sources.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

I could see merc 'mechs on a contract walking around sporting components salvaged from the opposition... and I suppose there is always room for a mech that was never repainted at all throughout its lifetime and has panels and limbs reflecting paint from a wide variety of sources.

Yeah thats my goal with my centurion thursday/friday. Gonna prime on thu and try to pick out a general color per limb or half or quadrant and toss in some wildly diff panels in every color i havent used. I might try to find a good burnt metal color and put that at a shoulder/hip joint like "this mech lost a limb but the repair is a clear rush job and new paint hasnt been applied to obscure the prior loss"

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

SirFozzie posted:

Spoilers for Empire Alone and Fiction A Question of Survival, with likely spoilers for the next book about the Ghost Bear/Rasalhague Dominion.

Throw Ghost Bear on the list of "Post ilClan places that are extremely hosed, including the Tamar Pact area, and the "Jade Falcon" - Ghost Bear Border, sounds like.

From the end of the book, it sounds the Dominion in a FedCom Civil War Battle on every planet because the Dominion didn't have a unanimous vote to join the ilClan and Alaric Wolf had a sad/mad over it and told them "Do it again, and make it unanimous, or I won't take you".

And this is serious business enough that folks are doing crazy (on an Clan Law-Basis) poo poo. Like instead of challenging your superior to a trial of grievance for his position because he lost a battle to the Jade Falcon remnant, shooting him because he wouldn't break Clan Law and start fighting again to steal back the sibkos that were taken as a result of the Trial of Possession, and immediately afterwards start the fight again yourself.

It sounds like we're getting a war version of Brexit (DomExit? IlExit?" as "Remain Seperate from the ilClan" and "we're now the ilClan's bitches" (Remain and Leave in the 3150's!) and since no place is truly all one or the other, you're going to get just about every unit in the Dominion tearing itself apart, either informally via Trials of Grievance, or formally in rebellion.

This makes it sound like the Clan Protectorate got off easy.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah thats my goal with my centurion thursday/friday. Gonna prime on thu and try to pick out a general color per limb or half or quadrant and toss in some wildly diff panels in every color i havent used. I might try to find a good burnt metal color and put that at a shoulder/hip joint like "this mech lost a limb but the repair is a clear rush job and new paint hasnt been applied to obscure the prior loss"

The original Citytech book had a passage about some rushed mech repairs using metal salvaged from commercial vehicles. One mech had SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM on the arm, another had PROCESSED CHICKEN (I think) on the cockpit.

I always wanted to try that on a mini, just trying to find the time to sit down and paint.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

raverrn posted:

This makes it sound like the Clan Protectorate got off easy.

Yeah, probably. The epilogue has the character who shot aforementioned superior and illegally attacked the Falcons after the trial to try to get the sibkos back leading an attack on the Prime Minister's office ("a known Remainer" who said there would be no revote on the planet.)

Edit: It tickles my funny bone that faction with the acronym GB is split between "remain" and "Leave" (Ghost Bear and Great BritainIRL)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 27, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PhotoKirk posted:

The original Citytech book had a passage about some rushed mech repairs using metal salvaged from commercial vehicles. One mech had SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM on the arm, another had PROCESSED CHICKEN (I think) on the cockpit.

I always wanted to try that on a mini, just trying to find the time to sit down and paint.

Lol, love it. Make a merc company with an expertise for urban combat thats just pqinted as billboards, buildings, and other itmes.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SirFozzie posted:

The Ghost Bears finally have some Bad poo poo happen to them? I'm liking this IlClan already. Also, I guess if all the Clans are struggling internally with supporting the IlClan, as in even if the leadership doesn't want to, tons of rank and file want to because "ILCLAN", I guess I can swallow what happened in FWL-space more.

I wonder if Alaric isn't trying to weaken all these Clans so that they have to side with him. Keep your vassals weak so they don't challenge you and all that.

Also, picking up the Clan Fire Star and Inner Sphere Direct Fire Lance boxes. I love me some Orions and Crusaders.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 27, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also, picking up the Clan Fire Star and Inner Sphere Direct Fire Lance boxes. I love me some Orions and Crusaders.

The new Crusader mini made me actually like the Crusader. It's so good.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was the HBS Battletech game that made me love it. First time it showed up I nearly lost the mission against it, then once I salvaged one it was so versatile it became a mainstay for me.

Haven't painted in a while, so I want to make some more interesting Spirit Cat and Swordsworn paint jobs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The early ones were definitely the heavy everyone forgot. Same weight and speed as a Thunderbolt but with a less versatile arsenal, plus it doesn't look as cool. None of the upgrades radically transform it or anything to really shake that off until PP, and the less said about those the better. So despite being ostensibly one of the two or three most common heavies, it kind of got forgotten about. When they started making variants for it in the Jihad, though, some of those are good. The Crusader feels like one of those mechs that's a natural fit for the MML.

The one thing I WILL say in defense of older Crusaders is this: the hands on the 5K are cool. "We gotta fit 30 missile tubes around each fist, let's give this thing giant shirt cuffs like it's a character from Final Fantasy 9."

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Rough paint scheme test for my merc company (Contrast paint and regular paint).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Muir posted:

A nice, bold paint scheme. It's striking, and the asymmetry is always a nice touch.

If you'd like to kick it up a notch, do the contrast paint and then a light top-down drybrush with a lighter blue (and maybe a lighter purple? Probably wouldn't be necessary, but if you've got a nice lilac color that'd be about perfect) to make the upper surfaces pop. :ssh:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

A nice, bold paint scheme. It's striking, and the asymmetry is always a nice touch.

If you'd like to kick it up a notch, do the contrast paint and then a light top-down drybrush with a lighter blue (and lighter purple) regular paint to make the upper surfaces pop. :ssh:

Thanks! I’m definitely planning on either drybrushing or edge highlighting. I’d thought about edge highlighting but I think drybrushing will both be easier and yield a smoother gradient to the highlight.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You'll definitely want something to offset those two colors. I'm no expert on color theory, but a friend of mine pointed out that colors on the color wheel that are adjacent often don't look great next to each other on a model. So you have blue and purple and neither is really popping as a result. When you highlight, you don't just have to go with a lighter shade (mixed with white), but you can go brighter and also shift exactly what shade you're using. For instance, you could lean into the green a bit more with a brighter, greener-blue. You could also swing the other way with the purple adding just a hint of red to it to draw it away from the blue.

I would also suggest drybrushing some silver or another metallic color on the missile pods and guns.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Color theory is useful, but it's not always a sure thing. If they want to call extra attention to the asymmetric bits, doing a yellow or red would probably be ideal. If they want the asymmetric bits to blend in, picking an adjacent color is fine. If they do a light, consistent drybrush with a light blue they can tie the blue and purple in together pretty coherently, I think.

What would really help would be an orange cockpit glass to contrast with the blue, I think. If you have access to the new Magmadroth Flame contrast and a metallic silver, painting the cockpit silver and then carefully painting magmadroth flame over it will get you a slightly metallic bright orange that'll pop pretty nicely. It's an easy low-effort cockpit look that can be enhanced with some careful black-lining if you're feeling brave or a very light brown wash if you're not.

Edit: That cockpit style (with a little more embellishment) is one I just experimented on with my unfinished jungle fighters, so I know it works

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 28, 2022

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's also solid advice. One thing I tend to do is to look at professional sports teams and see what colors they use. Organizations like the NFL have done a superb job of refining color combinations.

I think I've posted these before, but this is my take on the NFC Central Division.

Minnesota Vikings

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Chicago Bears

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

When I did a stint building architectural models my boss had me make a series of custom figures for one we were working on, and had me paint them too. I opted to paint them in the color schemes of professional wrestlers, so somewhere in Vancouver there is a model of a housing development with Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Gold Dust, Hulk Hogan, The Rockers and others indirectly represented.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Muir posted:

Sweet paint scheme. If I ever paint my minis I was thinking of a similar scheme!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Color theory is useful, but it's not always a sure thing.

Yeah, color theory is just one part of design. Contrast is also important, and I think that purple and blue work well together because of the contrast difference between the dark saturated purple and the lighter blue.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Thanks for all the feedback! I definitely will be adding more details like metallic weapons and color on lenses and cockpits and the like. Having a less saturated blue and a more saturated purple was for sure intentional to give that contrast.

I love the suggestion for an orange cockpit. I do have those colors and I’ll give that a try. I’m also planning on using some orange flowers or grass on the base.

I do like going for opposites on the color wheel but sometimes it can look too “sports team” for my tastes - but sports team is what you’re going for and you did it well! Looking at the color wheel is what led me to orange for little pops of contrast as they form a triangle on the wheel.

ilmucche posted:

Sweet paint scheme. If I ever paint my minis I was thinking of a similar scheme!

In Citadel Contrast, it's Frostheart and Luxion Purple. In regular Citadel, it's base coat of Thousand Sons Blue then covered with Temple Guard Green, and base coat of Naggaroth Night then covered with Xereus Purple. In either case, highlights are Baharroth Blue and Genestealer Purple.

Muir fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 28, 2022

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey PTN I figure you would want to know that there are going to be Camachos Caballeros dice at GenCon, according to the announcement today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's pretty neat.

I won't be able to get any unless they release the leftovers in their store, but I'd pick up a set along with that Alpha Strike box (that Wraith is looking nice)