Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Is cowofwar the guy who would appear in ANY thread made about dogs and start talking about killing them? He was finally banned a year or so ago but I was never sure whether his dog hate was real or a gimmick.

E: Yup. That’s them. Check their rap sheet. They wouldn’t just show up in threads about dogs, they’d show up any time dogs were even mentioned in totally unrelated threads. The final nail in the coffin for cowofwar was a post in the GBS COVID thread lol

There's two?? Thought that was Iron Crowned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is from the chicken thread when Twisty was getting a 1 week probe for asking basic chicken questions

Saint Twisty posted:

Is it considered humane to trim their wings? Please tell me about ethical chicken raising.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The admin response

angerbeet posted:

User Tricky Twisty is hereby allowed to ask questions about chickens in this thread.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He absolutely did not do this. He was dinged for asking whether trimming chicken's feathers was humane.

Oh I guess I did misremember what happened :shrug:, a lot of people have passed through that thread with a lot of different questions.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 26, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Man I can't stand the passage of time

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

sourdough posted:

There's two?? Thought that was Iron Crowned

Yeah apparently I had them confused because somehow there are multiple people that do this.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Maremma sheepdog follow up link

How to find a farm? (Nov 2009) https://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/forum/friends-chat/home-and-hobbies/pets/294873-?293116-How-to-find-a-farm=

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

There was another intervening thread on a separate forum where (to no one's surprise) the dog has already started going mad in her yard and developed a fixation on a specific tree, ripping up bushes to protect it and giving it kisses. She was contemplating trying to solve this problem by getting two giant rabbits.

https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/165357-my-maremma-puppy/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shifty Nipples posted:

Oh I guess I did misremember what happened :shrug:, a lot of people have passed through that thread with a lot of different questions.

Well now you've got me curious. Do people eat their dead backyard chickens?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
^^^ i wonder if they're not any good if they're not bred specifically to be meat. seems like a waste otherwise.

i forgot the detail that the dog was intact for breeding. this woman created cujo in her house for no reason.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fun hater posted:

thank you, we dont want people to be remembering things in the thread for remembering things.

Links are good, as is hey remember when, we aren't all pentyne

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frank Frank posted:

Are you thinking of the CSPAM poster who murdered a small dog with a brick because they had a panic attack while gardening? Not sure if that was a year ago

Happened around March, so far too soon for this thread. Here is the FYAD Criterion Collection recollection of the event.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3996244

sebmojo posted:

Links are good, they have time stamps and postid

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Herpes. posted:

God I love this screenshot.

lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

fun hater posted:

^^^ i wonder if they're not any good if they're not bred specifically to be meat. seems like a waste otherwise.

I'm sure some people do, but a lot of them are going to have minimal amounts/tougher meat if they're not real meat breeds. Also, probably not advisable specifically if they're not being butchered since they're most likely either dying of age or some disease at that point, either of which would not be worthwhile.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Genuine lmao

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

sebmojo posted:

i have faith in the threads ability to determine the truth using the pentyne search engine (ty pentyne)

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm sure some people do, but a lot of them are going to have minimal amounts/tougher meat if they're not real meat breeds. Also, probably not advisable specifically if they're not being butchered since they're most likely either dying of age or some disease at that point, either of which would not be worthwhile.

oh that makes perfect sense. of course you dont want to eat the shriveled grandma chicken.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 27, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dip Viscous posted:

I don't doubt that PI has mellowed out a lot by now like the rest of the forums, but all I did was ask what might be wrong with one of pet mice because it was behaving differently.

Plant people are cool.

I never get death threats from plant people.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

No, if a chicken just dies you don't really know what killed it (or hell, even how long it's been dead) or if that thing could be harmful to you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shifty Nipples posted:

No, if a chicken just dies you don't really know what killed it (or hell, even how long it's been dead) or if that thing could be harmful to you.

I suspected as much but was still curious. Thanks for the answer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Plant people are cool.

i frequently did, though i was living in gotham city at the time

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Platystemon posted:

Plant people are cool.

Oh yeah? Check your PMs.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have the link to thI thread about the person who got two puppies who ended up with littermate syndrome or something? There may have also have been a follow-up thread because I think he was going to re-home them or something. I'm pretty sure it was PI, but I could also be thinking of some other site altogether

The sheepdog thread reminded me of that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pinus Porcus posted:

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have the link to thI thread about the person who got two puppies who ended up with littermate syndrome or something? There may have also have been a follow-up thread because I think he was going to re-home them or something. I'm pretty sure it was PI, but I could also be thinking of some other site altogether

The sheepdog thread reminded me of that.

I don’t have the link offhand but I’m pretty sure this is the guy who “didn’t have time” for the puppies because he was addicted to WoW, up to and including bringing his computer to the hospital to do a raid while his wife was giving birth to their child

I think it’s already been posted upthread but if not hopefully this will jog someone’s memory enough to find it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Boba Pearl posted:

Please do not click the quote button on posts from more then an hour ago, in the goon remembering thread.

thanks for the advice

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Does anyone remember that goon who

yes

e: oh no

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 27, 2022

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I don’t have the link offhand but I’m pretty sure this is the guy who “didn’t have time” for the puppies because he was addicted to WoW, up to and including bringing his computer to the hospital to do a raid while his wife was giving birth to their child

I think it’s already been posted upthread but if not hopefully this will jog someone’s memory enough to find it

Oh! I don't know why my brain didn't click it was the same person. I remember him not having time because of video games, but for some reason it didn't register it was that person. Thanks!!

Edit: found the link. Thanks for the help!

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 27, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

Oh yeah? Check your PMs.

Low energy threat.

A really upset plant person would say something like “I hope you wipe your rear end with a gympie-gympie leaf”.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the pot growing thread sometimes spills over into a fight, it legit would not surprise me if we have had at least one death threat there over the years

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Leal posted:

I've been thinking of a thread where Arf and Endorph both drew a comic that were effectively the exact same thing and posted within minutes of one another. It was in a goldmine thread and I'm not sure which, it may have been after KM was shown to be a puppeteer or it was when BnR started having its controversies.

Arf quoting Endorph (who posted their comic first) and going "Yo WTF" was great

found it, it was in a previous sagas thread

Endorph posted:

Hello, my name is Moooalas Karch, and I come from, uh... the coupons forums, yes, that will do. Anyway, I say we delete FYAD and make Koalas March mod of GBS!

gently caress. OFF.

ArfJason posted:

oh for fucks sake dude

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

found it, it was in a previous sagas thread

:allears: :allears: :allears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tell Me About Starting Up a Small Business.(Coffee Shop)

quote:

So my partner and I are going to start up a coffee shop and wanna ask our fellow goons for advice. He has around 20k and terrible credit and I have decent credit and I happen to be a woman and a Native American so hopefully I could help get us a loan. I have 8 years in the coffee business and 10 years in a supervisory position. Corporate coffee sucks and I can't wait to get out.

quote:

Thanks for all the help so far. Unfortunately, I am not giving up.

I live in a suburb of Washington DC. Our shop is going to be either right across the street from NASA Goddard where I hear the coffee is terrible and I will be closer than the nearest Starbucks or it will be a little bit further down the road across the street from a multitude of corporate parks including a large new development. NASA is still in range though and the closest Starbucks is miles away. The road is a major one to get to the Beltway and usually gets heavy congestion during the morning and afternoon rush hour. The closest "coffee shop" to either of the locations is McDonalds.

My partner is my best friend for the past 10 years and I don't believe he will try to rob me. He is also a pretty loving good baker and will be doing most of the baking. We may buy bagels wholesale because they seem to be a pain in the rear end to make. Eventually we may go for a liquor license but for now it seems more trouble than its worth.

Anyone who knows anything about coffee knows that Starbucks tastes like poo poo.

The thread delivered on literally everyone trying to explain why it was a bad idea.

Someone linked a famous article about a person who tried to do the same and came to the conclusion it was a terrible idea that destroys lives.

quote:

The dream of running a small cafe has nothing to do with the excitement of entrepreneurship or the joys of being one's own boss—none of us would ever consider opening a Laundromat or a stationery store, and even the most delusional can see that an independent bookshop is a bad idea these days. The small cafe connects to the fantasy of throwing a perpetual dinner party, and it cuts deeper—all the way to Barbie tea sets—than any other capitalist urge. To a couple in the throes of the cafe dream, money is almost an afterthought. Which is good, because they're going to lose a lot of it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hate to be a white noise “I remember that” dude but drat I remember that coffee shop thread and it ended up being such a weird thing in my head - the posts explaining why it was such a bad idea - that it’s helped me put into context so much bad business brain bullshit that people fall into.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think opening a cafe is that stupid actually. opening a coffee shop that isn't one of those little shacks to compete with Starbucks is though. i think all the ones around here mostly survive on selling cheap breakfast and lunch food

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

i don't think opening a cafe is that stupid actually. opening a coffee shop that isn't one of those little shacks to compete with Starbucks is though. i think all the ones around here mostly survive on selling cheap breakfast and lunch food

I feel like you’re describing two very distinct businesses though and calling both a “cafe.” The former is what the owners consider a cafe, the latter is a diner. I think there’s room for diners, but the “coffee shack” competing with Starbucks is just hosed. Someone in my hometown opened one in earnest and now it’s open 3 hours a day and bills itself as a “music and event venue” which makes me sad because it feels like a way to prolong the inevitable. We don’t even have a Starbucks within 20 miles, but the hometown “coffee shop” I don’t think can survive at least in your average small town on the highway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I feel like you’re describing two very distinct businesses though and calling both a “cafe.” The former is what the owners consider a cafe, the latter is a diner. I think there’s room for diners, but the “coffee shack” competing with Starbucks is just hosed. Someone in my hometown opened one in earnest and now it’s open 3 hours a day and bills itself as a “music and event venue” which makes me sad because it feels like a way to prolong the inevitable. We don’t even have a Starbucks within 20 miles, but the hometown “coffee shop” I don’t think can survive at least in your average small town on the highway.

nah i definitely don't mean a diner. there's 2 cafes in this tourist town off of 50 and they both survive primarily on having better tea (not hard to do) and selling quick food that basically qualifies as a snack but isn't reheated in a toaster oven. one of them mostly sells pastries and the other sells soup and salad. one's right on main street though, which helps. the Starbucks are by the freeway exits before and after. there's like 3 or 4 of those snack style coffee places and somehow they're all open like 14 hours a day lol. i think there's just not enough chain coffee here to meet demand maybe now that I think about it.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 28, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I kinda want to open a café that serves only cold brew (hot or cold) with optional milk and sugar.
The syrup/flavouring options will just read 'gently caress You'.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's wild hearing about starbucks in the US, in Aus there's probably like 3-5 in every major city and everyone avoids them in favour of independent coffee stores; Starbucks really only caters to tourists and people who want ridiculous dessert drinks with more whipped cream than liquid

If anyone controls the market it's the various roasters, every mom & pop cafe will have like Ona or Campos branding all over the cafe so you know what beans you're gonna get

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedrigall posted:

It's wild hearing about starbucks in the US, in Aus there's probably like 3-5 in every major city and everyone avoids them in favour of independent coffee stores; Starbucks really only caters to tourists and people who want ridiculous dessert drinks with more whipped cream than liquid

If anyone controls the market it's the various roasters, every mom & pop cafe will have like Ona or Campos branding all over the cafe so you know what beans you're gonna get

personally I only go there because nobody else carries raspberry syrup. a white mocha with raspberry is ftw. also they have peppermint syrup year round, for some reason everyone in America has decided it should be a seasonal flavor forever. anyway people who actually like good coffee just brew it themselves. every plain coffee I've had anywhere has always been way too weak and flavorless, even at nice places that claim to have all this expensive good coffee.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can guarantee that you could make it better at your house, but I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
What did I do to deserve this flat, flavourless white peppyraspmochattan

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:mad: you know what you did.
Maybe I can't prove it was you but justice comes to us all in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Starbucks managed to thrive in Canada for two main reasons. One, Vancouver is basically just Seattle with healthcare instead of guns, and two, Tim Hortons took an enormous nosedive in the early 2000s to the point that they failed to renegotiate their exclusivity contract for The Good Coffee and McDonald's of all chains scooped it right out from underneath them.