Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm curious, it's not that I really want to push a maybe 3-han hand into that riichi as much as, this is also not an easy hand to execute a fold with; is opening (which you would probably need to do, given that three of those waits are off an edge) for tanyao feasible almost as a defensive play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You've got a couple of mostly-safe discards but it is always tricky when someone calls a riichi this early.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I would cut the 7pin then the 8pin next, then see if it's viable to continue pushing. This way you dodge ippatsu and throwing a dora into their hand.

Oh, hmm open i don't think i will. But I'm also willing to say the riichi hand is 2 han at most? Maybe 1 more with ura dora.

E: actually i changed my mind. I'll probably open because I'm willing to say that the riichi hand is most likely 2 han.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I'm curious, it's not that I really want to push a maybe 3-han hand into that riichi as much as, this is also not an easy hand to execute a fold with; is opening (which you would probably need to do, given that three of those waits are off an edge) for tanyao feasible almost as a defensive play?

Yeah I personally wouldn't open that. You'd probably have to toss aka into a riichi and even with the riichied player having discarded dora, pushing an open 1/30 against riichi isn't a position you want to be in.

i'd push if you draw 4m because 4/30 good wait can and should be pushed. 6s would be borderline (tanyao wouldn't be guaranteed) but I could justify it by saying the riichi probably has 1 dora at most, and that defending this is a bit tough. Otherwise void the 7p, 8p, hope for the best.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 15, 2022

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Anyone have thoughts on when it's a good idea to go for an open tanyao hand? As I've been working on improving my deal in rate has gone down a lot, but my win rate has too, like a little below 21% now. I think part of that is that I usually only open my hand when I either have a clear shot at honitsu or a mediocre hand with a yakuhai pair, I never really go for tanyao. When I have a hand that could go in that direction, I generally stay closed and try to push it towards riichi + pinfu, and a lot of the time someone else gets to tenpai/wins first. What are the sorts of situations when going for something like open tanyao nomi or open tanyao dora 1 might make sense?

(side note: if I have the chance and I'm solidly in first in all last, I generally will go for a super fast open tanyao or something like that bc it's clearly a good idea to stop anyone else from winning ASAP. but in most normal situations I tend to stay away)

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Reductively, calling is a matter of speed vs. value. By calling, the idea is to speed up your hand getting into tenpai fast enough to cut off slower, closed hands. Generally, you can think of chii as 2x the speed of drawing things yourself, and pon as 4x speed, based off the number of players you can 'draw' from. For tanyao in particular, calling can be good to secure groups that are close to the edge, like a 23 ryanmen or a 788 complex shape. But after calling once, you're committed to that life for the rest of the hand.

I think I would only go tanyao nomi in a situation like you mentioned, if I was already ahead by quite a bit and I had the opportunity to quickly end the game. I'd also want to make sure to have a guaranteed good wait, 2-sided (e.g. nobetan, ryanmen) or better to make up for the defense loss and low overall value. Leaving a lucky 2-5-8 sanmenchan or sanmentan wait would also be a good reason to call for tanyao nomi if it's early enough in a hand. Otherwise, I'd need at least one more han from dora or sanshoku, etc. to think about opening my hand up, as I posted previously. I probably wouldn't force tanyao if I already had a standalone mentsu with a terminal (e.g. 123). Maybe force it if I had a pair in a guest wind, and the rest of my hand was looking very [i]tanyao[i]-y and fast enough to justify needing to drop those two tiles (e.g. in a six group situation with three, perhaps just two pairs).

EDIT: The below points about dealer score bonus (and pressure you can exert as dealer), and about 4th-place avoidance for online ranked play, are also good to remember!

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 19, 2022

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
The answer as usual is "it depends", but here are several reasons:

1. If you are dealer and a kuitan is the easiest way to win your hand.
2. If you are significantly ahead in first place, kuitan to speed the rounds. What "significantly" means is up to you, 10k is a big enough lead for me to try to end the game asap.
3. When you have a pon or pair of doras in your hand.
4. If someone looks scary, but you can reach tenpai for a kuitan with a call and a relatively safe discard.
5. If you are second on the last round and you want to preserve your second instead of trying for first.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Hraathgar posted:

I just yesterday got utterly demolished by 13 Orphans.

It is real. Never stop believing.

I just got my vengeance. Hellwait on east wind on turn 15 paid dividends. You just have to believe.

My first yakuman.

Feels good.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I actually have an question. When the 13 orphans devoured my flesh I got hit for 48 000 points. Now that the Orphans were working for me I got 36 000 points. I was under the impression that Yakuman hands were, well yakuman hands and stuff like dora, ippatsu and such do not matter. Why the point difference?

I'm not complaining, just curious.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hraathgar posted:

I actually have an question. When the 13 orphans devoured my flesh I got hit for 48 000 points. Now that the Orphans were working for me I got 36 000 points. I was under the impression that Yakuman hands were, well yakuman hands and stuff like dora, ippatsu and such do not matter. Why the point difference?

Dealer hands are always worth 50% more points

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Hraathgar posted:

Rons from the dealer/east costs roughly 50% extra, so the payout is 48k vs 32k for the yakuman. Maybe it was that?

Though I question the dealer aiming for the yakuman in the first place...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

waddler posted:

Rons from the dealer/east costs roughly 50% extra, so the payout is 48k vs 32k for the yakuman. Maybe it was that?

Though I question the dealer aiming for the yakuman in the first place...

Yakuman, on rare occasion, are handed to you on a silver platter. My first yakuman, three big dragons, had a pair of all the dragons in my opening hand.

And sometimes as dealer if you have enough of a lead youre fine with the game proceeding and its pretty easy to fold with a failed orphans hand.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Never give in to cowardice

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I can't believe this thread exists, I'm so happy I was browsing! I've dabbled with tenhou for a long time, off and on. I got up to 4k at one point, I think? Still pretty much a beginner, though, as I haven't played for a long long time and have forgotten most of the terms.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

http://mahjong-ny.com/features/terminology/ is the terminology cheat sheet I swear by. It has basically everything.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Riichi trivia: If you have two identical copies of a run, that’s a yaku, worth one han. But if you have three identical copies, it’s worth two han! :v:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
How it started:

How it's going:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Can Of Worms posted:

How it started:

How it's going:

Yeah, tanyao toitoi red 5, pretty good.

<looks at dora indicators> hmmmm.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That's gotta be at LEAST 3,000 points, pretty good hand.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nrook posted:

Riichi trivia: If you have two identical copies of a run, that’s a yaku, worth one han. But if you have three identical copies, it’s worth two han! :v:

Maybe even more:

that hand is a yakuman (Suuankou) if you sort the tiles properly

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I just got sanshoku doukou for the first time (according to MJS) yesterday and that does feel like it should be worth more. Honestly I didn't even notice it, and thought I'd made a mistake opening my hand for toitoi cause it was all last and I was trailing first place by like ~2300 without any dora or anything to make it more than 2 han.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Killed my "get 1st of 2nd 10 times in a row" cheevo on 8/10 by dealing into a Ron 3 times in a row on a game and topping it off finishing 4th on the next two as well. Bonus (negative) points for starting my losing streak 100 points away from Expert. I hate this game sometimes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Do most of you play on tenhou?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I just got sanshoku doukou for the first time (according to MJS) yesterday and that does feel like it should be worth more. Honestly I didn't even notice it, and thought I'd made a mistake opening my hand for toitoi cause it was all last and I was trailing first place by like ~2300 without any dora or anything to make it more than 2 han.

sandoukou is ridiculously rare and should probably be worth more than 2 han lol. it's one of those "this shows up less than certain yakuman" yakus along with like, ryanpeikou

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Do most of you play on tenhou?

Mostly MJS, but I've thought about making a tenhou account for days MJS has maintenance. The language barrier has always spooked me tbh

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

SixteenShells posted:

Mostly MJS, but I've thought about making a tenhou account for days MJS has maintenance. The language barrier has always spooked me tbh

I haven't had too many issues with the help of the English Chrome extension

MJS puts me off a bit because im afraid my wife will walk in and wonder why I'm playing an anime dating sim

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife loves both riichi and anime dating sims so that's definitely not a problem.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 27, 2022

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
sometimes I think about making an account on riichi city since it's the only English client that implements shuugi (gambling) rules in friendlies. it was super buggy at launch which kinda turned me off but supposedly those have been ironed out

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like MJS because it checks yaku for me, and I'm usually playing it as an excuse to hang out and bullshit so I don't have a lot of focus to spare

I just wish it offered easier or free ways to get the other characters. I want that dog dammit

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I play on MahjongSoul because it has a good app, but I’ve definitely thought about playing on Tenhou instead. It has a queue without akadora, right? That sounds nice.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

nrook posted:

I play on MahjongSoul because it has a good app, but I’ve definitely thought about playing on Tenhou instead. It has a queue without akadora, right? That sounds nice.

It does, although I don't see why you would play that way since red fives help worship the chaos gods :dehumanize:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I hate all the dog characters and all the little girl characters

So like 95% of them

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Mahjong Soul for me, anime doesn't bother me and the interface is good enough.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are some people who play tenhou without aka, but most of the queues are either standard hanchan, or fast tonpuu (east round only and 5 second discards for people who want a 10 minute game)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I play on MJS because I am weeb trash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tenhou is the true weeb choice because it's the one Japanese people play

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I'm the dealer with a crappy hand with one of each of the three dragons. I discard the white one and the player to my left with a bonded Akagi avatar Pons it. It's my turn again and I discard the red one. Akagi pons it. Now I'm looking at my green dragon and I'm salty because my games haven't been going great (I got hit by a double Ron in the previous hand). I think, "there is no way he has it, there can't be" and discard the green dragon too.

It passes.

Now the game goes on. 12 turns later the player opposite to me discards a green dragon. Akagi rons, gets yakuman and I got 3rd place dispite only having 10k points.

All according to keikaku.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Is that Call ratio the number of times I press the Chi or Pon out of the total, or does that also include Ron? It seems way too high for what I feel that I am doing in matches.

EDIT: Also, is that too much or too little calling? I'm on Adept III ATM.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Is that Call ratio the number of times I press the Chi or Pon out of the total, or does that also include Ron? It seems way too high for what I feel that I am doing in matches.

EDIT: Also, is that too much or too little calling? I'm on Adept III ATM.

I think it's the percentage of hands you open with chi/pon instead of leaving closed. Ron definitely doesn't count. That call rate is a tad high but East games have higher call rates than South games so that's not the end of the world.