Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No because the Seventh Amendment explicitly states the right to a jury trial for any civil case where the value is over $20, and Jones asked for a jury trial

Gotcha. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Since this is a civil court matter, a decision can't end up being appealed to the Texas Supreme Court, can it? Because I don't see them letting Alex be on the hook for hundreds of millions.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neato burrito posted:

Gotcha. Thanks.

yeah honestly daria's playing dumb routine means the lawyer gets to go down a bullet point list and state everything like he's talking to a 3 year old so the jury's going to get days worth of him explaining in simple terms all the dumb poo poo jones pulled lmao

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Zil posted:

Since this is a civil court matter, a decision can't end up being appealed to the Texas Supreme Court, can it? Because I don't see them letting Alex be on the hook for hundreds of millions.

It can be appealed up to the Texas Supreme Court iirc, and I'm sure it will be as soon as the decision is handed down

disclaimer: not an expert on Texas law but civil cases generally can be appealed within a state

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Usually what happens is that there is a huge monetary reward and then they appeal the monetary award amount and it gets reduced. If my understanding is correct.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zil posted:

There absolutely will be an appeal of every technical thing that the defense can think of. This is why he moves for mistrial after every witness and presentation as soon as the jury is out of the room. This appeal will almost certainly be denied, and the TSC will not take up the case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Usually what happens is that there is a huge monetary reward and then they appeal the monetary award amount and it gets reduced. If my understanding is correct.

If the award is impermissible, it will be overturned. I don't think the court will allow an impermissible award here.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

There absolutely will be an appeal of every technical thing that the defense can think of. This is why he moves for mistrial after every witness and presentation as soon as the jury is out of the room. This appeal will almost certainly be denied, and the TSC will not take up the case.

Jones will show up to the TSC justices' doors with a Costco-sized can of Hormel chili and a vague threat telling them to "forget the payments or I'll make you forget everything."

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

ngl i wanna see jones's team up against state attorneys because those dudes are ruthless

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there a good stream of the trial? I was watching one, but it turns out the guy streaming it is a Jones supporter and keeps saying things like "There are actually pictures of the kids, thats not a lie!"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Robo Reagan posted:

i cant tell if shes trying to throw alex under the bus or is just horribly incompetent

She is horribly incompetent. This is not the first time she has been thoroughly embarrassed on the stand.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

Stream for today is up, nothing going on yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKmWrkNxXB0

this one is just the raw feed from the court

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SalTheBard posted:

Is there a good stream of the trial? I was watching one, but it turns out the guy streaming it is a Jones supporter and keeps saying things like "There are actually pictures of the kids, thats not a lie!"

teen witch posted:

Heads up everyone, here’s todays feed:

https://youtu.be/AKmWrkNxXB0

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

edit beaten

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Robo Reagan posted:

ngl i wanna see jones's team up against state attorneys because those dudes are ruthless

On appeal, the plaintiffs will likely still have the same counsel as they've handled all their appeals so far. State attorneys won't become involved in this case.

The courts are going to get very involved with the fraudulent transfer case and collecting on this judgment, though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

neato burrito posted:

How is any of this questioning relevant to how much AJ has to pay out? Can the judge just say "I've heard enough, gently caress you" and state an amount?

Jones’ defense is basically ‘I’m just a journalist chasing the truth, I don’t have time to check everything, first amendment.’ The plaintiffs attorney is establishing that Jones ignored clear evidence that he was pushing lies, that infowars has a culture of cherry-picking facts to support a conclusion, using random emails to a tip email as ‘confirmed sources’, etc. He’s showing that it’s more than just a journalist making a one-time oopsie, it was a prolonged and malicious campaign.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

red19fire posted:

Jones’ defense is basically ‘I’m just a journalist chasing the truth, I don’t have time to check everything, first amendment.’ The plaintiffs attorney is establishing that Jones ignored clear evidence that he was pushing lies, that infowars has a culture of cherry-picking facts to support a conclusion, using random emails to a tip email as ‘confirmed sources’, etc. He’s showing that it’s more than just a journalist making a one-time oopsie, it was a prolonged and malicious campaign.

He should've used the Fox News defense: "No person with an IQ above 50 would actually believe any of this"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

haljordan posted:

He should've used the Fox News defense: "No person with an IQ above 50 would actually believe any of this"

Especially when he sells them brain chemicals in the ad breaks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mr. Nice! posted:

On appeal, the plaintiffs will likely still have the same counsel as they've handled all their appeals so far. State attorneys won't become involved in this case.

The courts are going to get very involved with the fraudulent transfer case and collecting on this judgment, though.

What's the fraudulent transfer case?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
to be real nitpicky, a civil case is actually the ONLY thing that can be appealed to the texas supreme court!

(texas has two highest courts, and criminal cases go to the texas court of criminal appeals, because they are weirdos)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
We have been cruelly deprived of hearing Daria's Rob Dew impression

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

The defense is just doing everything in their power to piss off this judge.

I wonder of this is part of their mistrial/appeal plan

"This judge hates us, obviously they are biased "

I think Billy Bob Thornton did it on his lawyer show on Amazon

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

What's the fraudulent transfer case?

There is a separate lawsuit that was filed a couple months before the bullshit bankruptcy when plaintiffs' got information that Alex was trying to hide assets. He's funneled everything out of all of his companies and personal accounts into trusts and LLCs in his parents and kids names in an attempt to hide from collection in this and the Connecticut case. The goal of that case is to unwind all of these transfers.

This case is just on establishing damages. The plaintiffs are making sure that the jury knows that Alex Jones and Infowars knew that what they were peddling was completely false, and that they deliberately lied to profit. Liability and malicious intent have already been established, but they really want to show the bad behavior to the jury so they're more likely to award the $150m in compensatory damages and $texas in punitive damages to punish Jones.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is a separate lawsuit that was filed a couple months before the bullshit bankruptcy when plaintiffs' got information that Alex was trying to hide assets. He's funneled everything out of all of his companies and personal accounts into trusts and LLCs in his parents and kids names in an attempt to hide from collection in this and the Connecticut case. The goal of that case is to unwind all of these transfers.

This case is just on establishing damages. The plaintiffs are making sure that the jury knows that Alex Jones and Infowars knew that what they were peddling was completely false, and that they deliberately lied to profit. Liability and malicious intent have already been established, but they really want to show the bad behavior to the jury so they're more likely to award the $150m in compensatory damages and $texas in punitive damages to punish Jones.

Yeah I thought that all went through and Jones had successfully hidden his assets/ move everything but the bankruptcy court was like "No".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wonder of this is part of their mistrial/appeal plan

"This judge hates us, obviously they are biased "

I think Billy Bob Thornton did it on his lawyer show on Amazon

They aren't going to win on that argument if they can even allege it on appeal. Trial judges have wide discretion to make decisions so long as they follow whatever procedure they're required to do. This judge follows the procedures to the letter when it comes to her required findings of fact etc. and has had multiple massive sanction awards upheld.

Jones isn't winning an appeal.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Holy poo poo the judge is MAD

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I thought that all went through and Jones had successfully hidden his assets/ move everything but the bankruptcy court was like "No".

The bankruptcy had nothing to do with the transfer of assets other than they had emptied out three shell companies. It was something discussed in filings as to why the bankruptcy was bullshit, but it was never ruled on by the court.

Now, when Jones files bankruptcy following this judgment, that bankruptcy judge will be very interested in these transfers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is horrifying

I am watching a slaughter

E: oh no this email, oh god :smith:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol judge is NOT having it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Get her rear end. Hell yes. God drat, Daria is a moron.

I think I just saw Jordan dash out after that exchange :classiclol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah she has been pissed at defense throughout because they're bad faith litigants. Judges will give people a lot of rope if they're acting in good faith. Let judges know you're loving around, and they will just poo poo all over you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

red19fire posted:

Get her rear end. Hell yes. God drat, Daria is a moron.

I think I just saw Jordan dash out after that exchange :classiclol:

Daria is deliberately a moron. Her deposition is part of why Jones got a $1m sanction against him.

This is part of the judge's factual findings in support of these sanctions (which was upheld by the 3rd COA).

e: part of the death penalty sanction was five different corporate rep depositions where the corporate rep knew nothing. Daria's depo was after the full default.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:bisonyes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

av/post combo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
goddamn this trial is one lol after another then real life creeps in and the prosecution reads a letter from a ranting psychopath insulting the parent of a dead kid

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This email is loving vile

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm not sure Daria understands how badly her attempts to stonewall are going to put off the jury

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
being able to hear the folks sidelining is always hilarious

oop looks like they realized lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

This email is loving vile

The first time I heard it, during the deposition, I was building a barcart and just stopped frozen during the entire thing. I’ve seen things on rotten.com that are less depraved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Daria is deliberately a moron. Her deposition is part of why Jones got a $1m sanction against him.

This is part of the judge's factual findings in support of these sanctions (which was upheld by the 3rd COA).

e: part of the death penalty sanction was five different corporate rep depositions where the corporate rep knew nothing. Daria's depo was after the full default.

I didn’t know that part. Incredible. It’s like Alex hired her thinking she would make a great stool pigeon.

Is she personally going to face any punishment? Like contempt of court for the deposition shenanigans and this nonsense.

‘Did Jim Helbig appear on infowars in 2015?’

‘It’s impossible for me to know for sure, there’s too many videos.’