Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every time someone complains about there being too much Marvel stuff, i wonder how old they are, because this is literally NOTHING compared to the reality show boom of the early 2000s. Survivor, Big Brother, Tumps show, weakest link, temptation island, amazing race, Milf Island, a ton of these garbage boring shows of people making dinner and plotting against each other. They were on every day, took huge blocks of time for scripted shows and it was so bad news programs would report on who got kicked off.

Yea yea, they were cheap and quick to make compared to sitcoms or dramas, but it was really inescapable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The difference is MTV never fostered the notion that you had to watch The Real World in order to understand what was going on in Road Rules.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

howe_sam posted:

The difference is MTV never fostered the notion that you had to watch The Real World in order to understand what was going on in Road Rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJhWT51_Gjg

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

howe_sam posted:

Someone obviously never watched Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Island, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Ruins, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Fresh Meat, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Inferno, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Duel, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Duel II, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: 2000, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Extreme Challenge, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Seasons, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Seasons II, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Seasons III, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Sexes, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Battle of the Seasons 2, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Inferno II, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Inferno III, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Cut Throat, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Rivals, Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Battle of the Exes, or Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Free Agents.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah those aren't really comparable situations at all. Maybe if someone was complaining about too much superhero media in general, that would be similar. But as is it's "this genre has taken over everything!" vs "this story is hard for me to keep up with!"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

SheHulk is reminding me of Powerless.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

SheHulk is reminding me of Powerless.

Shots fired, drat

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

god remember when all the competitive reality shows like top chef and such are popular and the focus are all on the insane drama the producers manufactured against the contestants. like in top chef they had free flow alcohol causing contestants to be hungover during competitions and fight over the dumbest things (i still remember when they manhandled a guy to cut his hair, and the other contestants falsified a "headshaving" event to cover it up). Top Chef Just Desserts had a guy literally collapse during judging and sent to hospital and had to go for therapy (also a show where a finalist was later convicted for murder).

And there's also the very short-lived Work of Art, where they make these artists do artwork with very poor prompts with very little time, but apparently given a lot of drugs. one episode had two contestants gently caress up their chances at winning because they were so high they drew penises on everything. a finalist did a normal piece and then jizzed all over it, then was surprised he didn't win

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

And there's also the very short-lived Work of Art, where they make these artists do artwork with very poor prompts with very little time, but apparently given a lot of drugs. one episode had two contestants gently caress up their chances at winning because they were so high they drew penises on everything. a finalist did a normal piece and then jizzed all over it, then was surprised he didn't win

What :stare:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://aliciaeler.com/2010/07/07/shock-system-inspiration-thread-artist-endure-bravos-work-art-great-artist/

quote:

The 23-year-old Miles Mendenhall, for example, for example, has an out-of-control case of OCD that, at the beginning of the show, was portrayed as a disadvantage. But in fact, the very thing that hinders Miles in the real world actually helps him on Work of Art because he proves that he can withstand extreme physical states, like exhaustion and insomnia. One of the best means of torture is sleep-deprivation. Miles holds out. His piece, First and Last, embodies a subtle shock value, one that has stayed on my mind since last week’s episode. Miles recalls his first erection and ejaculation, which he had while watching the Disney movie, The Little Mermaid. So he starts drawing a Mickey Mouse head and fills it in with various genitalia. Then he goes to the bathroom and whacks off onto the piece, letting his semen drip down the sheet of paper. He completes “the last” part of “First and Last,” creating a successful, simple piece.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everyone posted:

I think Ms. Marvel is technically the first "Title Character" Muslim superhero. For all we know Vision is a Muslim (kidding, but technically we've never seen him eat pork or drink alcohol onscreen), but Ms. Marvel is the first time we've specifically had the main, title-of-the-movie/show character be a Muslim.

I checked, and nothing is said about Layla's religious beliefs - if any - during Moon Knight. Marc/Steve is at least by background Jewish (and it would be perfectly in keeping with Jewish traditions for his religious feelings to be telling Khonshu that he's a god but he's not God), but we don't know anything about Layla in that regard. She's Egyptian so there's a high probability that she's at least culturally Muslim, but anything else is purely speculation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:shepface:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Every time someone complains about there being too much Marvel stuff, i wonder how old they are, because this is literally NOTHING compared to the reality show boom of the early 2000s.

I think this comparison only holds if you view Marvel as a broader genre without required viewings between series, which is hard to do with so many crossovers and knowing the phases often end with a grand crossover of heroes.

Now will opting out of She-hulk make it harder to understand future shows or movies? Probably not, but that connective tissue doesn’t exist among those reality shows.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Cythereal posted:

I checked, and nothing is said about Layla's religious beliefs - if any - during Moon Knight. Marc/Steve is at least by background Jewish (and it would be perfectly in keeping with Jewish traditions for his religious feelings to be telling Khonshu that he's a god but he's not God), but we don't know anything about Layla in that regard. She's Egyptian so there's a high probability that she's at least culturally Muslim, but anything else is purely speculation.

Wasn't she married to Marc? It's been a while, so I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, Ms. Marvel is the first character where her being Muslim has any impact to the story or the character and saying that Layla is a Muslim superhero is kind of like saying Tony Stark is a Christian superhero - it's probably most likely true in a "religion that they most likely were a part of as a kid" sense, but it's not relevant to their characters whatsoever.

I don't think Muslim is distinct enough as a purely cultural identifier FWIW, I wouldn't say that an Egyptian and a Pakistani are from identical cultures.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Your religious beliefs also probably get pretty flexible when you get directly involved in the Egyptian underworld.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

enki42 posted:

Yeah, Ms. Marvel is the first character where her being Muslim has any impact to the story or the character and saying that Layla is a Muslim superhero is kind of like saying Tony Stark is a Christian superhero - it's probably most likely true in a "religion that they most likely were a part of as a kid" sense, but it's not relevant to their characters whatsoever.

I don't think Muslim is distinct enough as a purely cultural identifier FWIW, I wouldn't say that an Egyptian and a Pakistani are from identical cultures.

Tony Stark is a Starkian superhero because he clearly worships himself.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So apparently a Lego Black Panther 2 set leaked and it seems like it confirms who the next Black Panther will be based on that character getting a BP suit. Just do a quick Google and it'll pop up if you don't care about spoilers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

Tony Stark is a Starkian superhero because he clearly worships himself.

Stark is pretty clearly some flavor of secular humanist. In the comics he's fought alongside and against various beings that called themselves God and had never felt any particular he need to worship any of them or the more traditional faiths.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just Chamber posted:

So apparently a Lego Black Panther 2 set leaked and it seems like it confirms who the next Black Panther will be based on that character getting a BP suit. Just do a quick Google and it'll pop up if you don't care about spoilers.

oh poo poo it's [spoiler]mephisto![/psoiler]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Dave posted:

I think this comparison only holds if you view Marvel as a broader genre without required viewings between series, which is hard to do with so many crossovers and knowing the phases often end with a grand crossover of heroes.

Now will opting out of She-hulk make it harder to understand future shows or movies? Probably not, but that connective tissue doesn’t exist among those reality shows.

Yea that's what i was getting at, if you don't have time to watch everything and feel like you're being left behind by the larger meta plot I can understand that. but then most of the films still stand alone, with the only notable exception being MoM.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cythereal posted:

I checked, and nothing is said about Layla's religious beliefs - if any - during Moon Knight. Marc/Steve is at least by background Jewish
They sit shiva for his mom and he shows up with a kippah. Dude seemed practicing enough to give me a jolt of representation, at least.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Wasn't she married to Marc? It's been a while, so I'm not sure if I remember correctly.
You don't have to convert to marry a Jew.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's what i was getting at, if you don't have time to watch everything and feel like you're being left behind by the larger meta plot I can understand that. but then most of the films still stand alone, with the only notable exception being MoM.

I wouldn't even count Multiverse of Madness[/i, because the events of WandaVision are dismissed as unimportant by Dr. Strange immediately after Wanda raises them. The film explains everything you need to know about her change in character between [i]Avengers: Endgame and the film itself, as well as her motivation.

CapnAndy posted:

They sit shiva for his mom and he shows up with a kippah. Dude seemed practicing enough to give me a jolt of representation, at least.

It's entirely possible all of Marc's different personalities have different religous beliefs, so he could act as representation for Buddhists and Sikhs as well as Jews without much issue.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 28, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

tsob posted:

It's entirely possible all of Marc's different personalities have different religous beliefs, so he could act as representation for Buddhists and Sikhs as well as Jews without much issue.
Oh, sure. I very much doubt that Stephen was "raised" Jewish, after all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There are rumours Jon Bernthal's coming back for Born Again

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, sure. I very much doubt that Stephen was "raised" Jewish, after all.

I got the feeling Stephen had an idealized life that reflected Marc's own, so he probably is Jewish; just one with a better family relationship etc. If anything, I'd think it was Marc who stopped practicing and no longer considers himself Jewish. Or at least, probably doesn't care about what he would be considered. Stephen seems like he'd be a somewhat absentee religious person, but still holding to at least the formalities of it and considering it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 28, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rarity posted:

There are rumours Jon Bernthal's coming back for Born Again
Yes please

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I wouldn't even count Multiverse of Madness, because the events of WandaVision are dismissed as unimportant by Dr. Strange immediately after Wanda raises them. The film explains everything you need to know about her change in character between Avengers: Endgame and the film itself, as well as her motivation.

I'd still count Multiverse of Madness because when we saw Wanda at the end of Avengers: Endgame she was sad but also hadn't had kids and didn't have an evil book. Did MoM even mention the circumstances of Wanda having/losing her kids or getting the book? Because I don't recall if it did. Can you skip WandaVision and go straight into MoM? Sure, but it'd be like skipping Avengers: Infinity War and going straight into Endgame. Yeah, you can do it. No, you won't be lost, but you'll still be missing quite a few things.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

I'd still count Multiverse of Madness because when we saw Wanda at the end of Avengers: Endgame she was sad but also hadn't had kids and didn't have an evil book. Did MoM even mention the circumstances of Wanda having/losing her kids or getting the book? Because I don't recall if it did. Can you skip WandaVision and go straight into MoM? Sure, but it'd be like skipping Avengers: Infinity War and going straight into Endgame. Yeah, you can do it. No, you won't be lost, but you'll still be missing quite a few things.

It doesn't mention them so far as I recall, but they also aren't remotely important to the actual events of the film so I don't think it matters. You'll be missing some context, but none of that context has any bearing on the film, so why does it matter that you're missing it? I wouldn't even compare it to missing Avengers: Infinity War to go watch Avengers: Endgame, because Avengers: Endgame assumes you've seen Avengers: Infinity War, and so some things that are plot central aren't explained. I'm pretty sure it's never explained why Tony is stranded in space at the start of the film for instance. It's just assumed you know because of the previous film. Skipping WandaVision but seeing Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness would be closer to skipping Captain America: Civil War but seeing Black Panther; sure, there's some context for who T'Challa is, and why he's acting in Captain America: Civil War, but all of it is explained in Black Panther anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I refuse to watch Loki, am I ruining things for myself with the upcoming phases? I've watched everything else and was just tickled pink when they referenced Kingo in Ms Marvel.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Just Chamber posted:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zefiel posted:

I refuse to watch Loki, am I ruining things for myself with the upcoming phases? I've watched everything else and was just tickled pink when they referenced Kingo in Ms Marvel.

Presumably you’ll be missing something but how much is not known right you. You will miss the introduction of a major character for the multiverse saga

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Zefiel posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Why is Loki the red line if you've watched everything else?

As for ruining anything for yourself... eh. You'll lose some context on the multiverse itself and a character who's going to be a bigger deal later, but probably nothing crucial.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zefiel posted:

I doubt it. The show introduced Kang, who will become more prominent in the coming movies, but Kang will almost certainly be introduced like he's a new thing in Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania anyway, so who cares. The exact reason the Kang in Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania can act is tied to events of the Kang in Loki, but if that's important then the Kang in Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania will just explain it anyway. You can go watch Loki then if it sounds intriguing, but you almost certainly won't need to do so to understand what's happening. Marvel's whole business model is built on the movies and shows setting up the next thing, but little of it being essential viewing so anyone can drop in and out as they please, even into a franchise with 22+ films. Beyond that, Loki is off in it's own little corner of the universe, and doesn't really interact with any other shows or movies, at least for now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zefiel posted:

You may want to watch it for no other reason than something in the last episode sets up a lot of this current arc they are starting with the multiverse

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

It doesn't mention them so far as I recall, but they also aren't remotely important to the actual events of the film so I don't think it matters. You'll be missing some context, but none of that context has any bearing on the film, so why does it matter that you're missing it? I wouldn't even compare it to missing Avengers: Infinity War to go watch Avengers: Endgame, because Avengers: Endgame assumes you've seen Avengers: Infinity War, and so some things that are plot central aren't explained. I'm pretty sure it's never explained why Tony is stranded in space at the start of the film for instance. It's just assumed you know because of the previous film. Skipping WandaVision but seeing Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness would be closer to skipping Captain America: Civil War but seeing Black Panther; sure, there's some context for who T'Challa is, and why he's acting in Captain America: Civil War, but all of it is explained in Black Panther anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Given that Wanda's stated motivation for doing what she's doing is "getting her kids back" it seems like the kids are fairly important to the MoM storyline.

Zefiel posted:

I don't think you're ruining things, exactly. You'll be missing some background on where all this multiverse stuff is coming from as well as the introduction of (a version of) the likely new big villain. Mostly you're just missing a really good show. The interactions of Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson are just gold.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
it's weird how people keep refusing to believe the MCU adheres to stan lee's old idea that "every comic is someone's first"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Given that Wanda's stated motivation for doing what she's doing is "getting her kids back" it seems like the kids are fairly important to the MoM storyline.

And everything you need to know about those kids is explained in the movie. She can see and touch the kids she fixates on, so knowing she wants them is all the audience needs to know. The ones she lost are of no important, beyond that she lost them. Which the film explains.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Why is Loki the red line if you've watched everything else?

Petty personal bias. Had the character ruined for me, much like you can be soured on a certain song after a relationship. I cheered when the dude bit it in Infinity War and the whole theater gave me the stink-eye, haha.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zefiel posted:

Petty personal bias. Had the character ruined for me, much like you can be soured on a certain song after a relationship. I cheered when the dude bit it in Infinity War and the whole theater gave me the stink-eye, haha.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

How so?