Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xinlum posted:

How do you add boxart to the recently played games list for non-steam games? I've already gone to desktop mode and set the background and logo, but it still shows blank in gaming mode.

I think I explained it in a recent post. Don't remember off the top of my head but it's real fiddly about which tab you set it via.

Check my post history. It's all bolded and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Hey remember when people in this thread were swearing up and down that you'd never be able to run most switch games on the steam deck?

Yes, and it turns out that you indeed can't run most switch games very well on the steam deck. You can certainly run some switch games on it, but nobody ever disputed that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, and it turns out that you indeed can't run most switch games very well on the steam deck. You can certainly run some switch games on it, but nobody ever disputed that.

Hey man its pretty funny but if you wanna move the goal posts for whatever reason thats cool too. Everyone can be happy today :)

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Xinlum posted:

How do you add boxart to the recently played games list for non-steam games? I've already gone to desktop mode and set the background and logo, but it still shows blank in gaming mode.

For Epic games (and maybe others) there is a script that picks them all up and adds the art for everything in one go. I think it's called HeroicBashLauncher.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Hey man its pretty funny but if you wanna move the goal posts for whatever reason thats cool too. Everyone can be happy today :)
"you said you won't be able to run most switch games well on the deck!"
"yeah and you can't run most switch games well on the deck"
"wow way to move the goalposts!"

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Has anyone managed to run the EA app on steam deck?
I’ve got gamepass, which includes an ea play sub, but only through the ea app. The internet seems to suggest using bottles to run the app, but it is just gives an error while installing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Halo Infinite runs on the deck now.

Open Steam and go to the Systems tab in Settings. Change the system update channel to the preview build.

Install Proton GE, and once installed open it and install GE-Proton7-27

Launch Infinite, go to Settings, then Properties, and finally Compatibility. Set it to use the latest version of Proton GE: GE-Proton7-27

Exit Infinite and go to desktop mode. Delete the videos folder.

That’s it, it should fire right up.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Why are you so upset about this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Shut up!!€!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

any indication on when these will be available in australia yet

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e.pilot posted:

Halo Infinite runs on the deck now.

Open Steam and go to the Systems tab in Settings. Change the system update channel to the preview build.

Install Proton GE, and once installed open it and install GE-Proton7-27

Launch Infinite, go to Settings, then Properties, and finally Compatibility. Set it to use the latest version of Proton GE: GE-Proton7-27

Exit Infinite and go to desktop mode. Delete the videos folder.

That’s it, it should fire right up.

Nice! How’s it run? It’s a really fun game.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Jeez guys I'm just laughing at the people who said you wouldn't be able to run switch games on the deck. Being able to run Breath of the Wild and Oddyssey feels like it can play pretty much the important games. In fact I haven't really heard of a title that can't be played at a constant 30fps with only a tiny amount of tweaking. If you know of the titles it can't do I'd love to know!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
iinm, botw should run much better through cemu.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kwolok posted:

the people who said you wouldn't be able to run switch games on the deck.

Nobody said this

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nobody said this

only stux did but lmao, just lol

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I think as of now it's a better deal to get a deck than an OLED Switch, if you're just looking for a portable gaming device. While the Deck is a larger initial investment, the amount of money you save by not having to pay the Nintendo premiums on indies/ports makes up the difference surprisingly quickly.

The Dreck is definitely the more flexible purchase, but it's barely a larger initial investment: $400 vs $350 for a 64 GB storage model of either isn't particularly meaningful. You're going to pay more for a microSD card for either, as well. (Again, I'm not disagreeing, I'm saying the price difference between those two isn't even a factor IMO.)

Framboise posted:

Also, does keeping it on the charger hurt the battery? I also noticed that the charger that comes with the Deck makes a distinct but annoying humming/buzzing sound.

Keeping a device plugged in (Dreck or otherwise) isn't great for any battery: both charging from 80-100% and then keeping it at 100% long-term are technically "bad" for their long-term health. Sometimes you have to be plugged in, but then you should let the device discharge and keep it in the 20-80% range as much as possible.

Truga posted:

i'm pretty sure *sync only works over hdmi/dp so far, so i don't think it can work over usb

Video over USB-C uses the Alt-Modes added to USB 3.1, meaning it's an HDMI/DP signal over the USB cable instead of, say, that DisplayLink solution. So Freesync should indeed work over a USB-C video connection if both ends support it.

Nobody said this

Many people are saying this! :smugdon:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Nobody said this

Wait a minute, it was actually you lol

it definitely doesn’t

Anyway I think its pretty cool what the steam deck can do. I sure wish they could optimize remote play but otherwise I am very happy with it. Maybe there is a future that definitely will never actually happen where nintendo learns to embrace third party consoles (of course this won't ever happen lol). I would love to get some of these switch games on my deck but it seems like more effort than its worth when I already have a switch lol

Edit: VVV I will not.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 28, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Try reading full sentences buddy

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
For people who aren't modding their steam decks, any stand out games that work great and are a great fit for the steam deck on the steam store?

I hear tunic is EXCELLENT, and I just finished deaths door and curse of the dead gods and they were really great too.

Also if I wanted to start the yakuza series, where should I begin and is it worth it looking up a primer?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Kwolok posted:

Also if I wanted to start the yakuza series, where should I begin and is it worth it looking up a primer?

Yakuza 0 is the perfect starting point. It's a prequel to the whole serie, so no fore knowledge is required. And it's Deck verified, so it should run without trouble. The "Before I play" wiki has some spoiler-free tips.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gerstmann was saying that it's not so rare to encounter a verified game, that's actually broken in a big way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yakuza 0 has a lot of fan service for fans of the series but yeah, you can jump in there. Just expect a downgrade in the breadth of content going from 0 to 1 (the remake doesn't really add anything except a bonus mode, if I recall correctly)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

think of 1 Kiwami or whatever it's called as an expansion to 0 and it feels a lot better

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had installed the itch.io Linux version on the desktop and was fooling around with downloading Linux versions of games but honestly it was a pain to always be in desktop mode, and also lots of games were windows only which the client doesn’t let you install directly.

So - I followed a Reddit guide and installed the itch.io windows app instead. Now it just launches from the deck mode and the games themselves (windows versions) install and launch from there. Everything just works, in a way that is honestly unreasonable to expect.

So if you have lots of itch bundles and want an easy way to play those games on the deck without having to manually download and install them… https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vwili3/better_way_to_itchio_on_steam_deck/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jordan7hm posted:

I had installed the itch.io Linux version on the desktop and was fooling around with downloading Linux versions of games but honestly it was a pain to always be in desktop mode, and also lots of games were windows only which the client doesn’t let you install directly.

So - I followed a Reddit guide and installed the itch.io windows app instead. Now it just launches from the deck mode and the games themselves (windows versions) install and launch from there. Everything just works, in a way that is honestly unreasonable to expect.

So if you have lots of itch bundles and want an easy way to play those games on the deck without having to manually download and install them… https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vwili3/better_way_to_itchio_on_steam_deck/

Oooh thanks for this.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Kwolok posted:

any stand out games that work great and are a great fit for the steam deck on the steam store?

I think a good rule of thumb is 'if its available on ps4 then it will play great on deck.

The main issues I've had so far have been ui being too small or controller config not being right. Stuff that was made for a console in the first place is generally great.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Kwolok posted:

For people who aren't modding their steam decks, any stand out games that work great and are a great fit for the steam deck on the steam store?

Outer Wilds, Elden Ring, Yakuza 0/Kiwami/Kiwami 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Hollow Knight, and Dead Cells all work great.

You can also check out Deck verified list on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/greatondeck

It's also worth checking why a game isn't deck verified if you're really interested in it. For example Bloodstained and Deedlit in Wonder Labryinth aren't verified because they require the use of a keyboard or mouse *once* - either to enter your character's name or to turn on controller support, both of which you can handle with the software keyboard and mouse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Samopsa posted:

only stux did but lmao, just lol

Stux making GBS threads the thread from the grave.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Currently enjoying unsupported weird photography game Umurangi Generation on my Deck.

I think maybe a tenth of what I have installed has 🚫 on it. If a game is small-time and is listed as unsupported, it’s frequently the case that no one has gotten around to testing it with latest Proton, yet, I think.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Switch vs Deck chat reminded me about local MP. Is there a way to play MP over wifi with the Deck?

I wanna play a flight sim with e.pilot while we fly a real plane

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nice! How’s it run? It’s a really fun game.

Some occasional audio hiccups but other than that really well, sits around 45-60fps.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

The Switch vs Deck chat reminded me about local MP. Is there a way to play MP over wifi with the Deck?

I wanna play a flight sim with e.pilot while we fly a real plane

It would depend on the game, I have a USB powered travel router we could set up in the plane though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

Keeping a device plugged in (Dreck or otherwise) isn't great for any battery: both charging from 80-100% and then keeping it at 100% long-term are technically "bad" for their long-term health. Sometimes you have to be plugged in, but then you should let the device discharge and keep it in the 20-80% range as much as possible.

Fair enough.

Even the Switch, though? I keep mine docked like, 24/7. I know it's not the Deck, but. D:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Can't believe people are still getting stuxed in this thread.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

It would depend on the game, I have a USB powered travel router we could set up in the plane though.

LOL awesome

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Framboise posted:

Fair enough.

Even the Switch, though? I keep mine docked like, 24/7. I know it's not the Deck, but. D:

Same applies to anything with a rechargable battery period, generally speaking-- same goes for laptops. It's not like the battery can't be replaced on most tech if push comes to shove and the battery life ends up super in the toilet, but it's something to keep in mind for any devices that are more explicitly "you throw it out when the battery's dead" kind of deals

I usually explicitly just turn my switch off when I'm not mainlining a game on it, leaving it docked 24/7 wouldn't be bad if you could just take the battery out easier imo but with it in you're not going to even know if the battery's compromised and swelling until it pops unexpectedly or some equally fun poo poo, at least people who leave their laptops plugged in 24/7 have the opportunity to say "wait this keyboard shouldn't bulge like this"

e: there's a reason that UPS backups, aka "batteries that are plugged in all the time as a failsafe against power outages", have batteries that swap in/out easily, (theoretically) have a maintenance schedule of "be sure to check it regularly to make sure it's not going to be a problem when you need to actually route power through it", and have an expected life cycle of like 3-5 years

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 28, 2022

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something? Valheim has a green checkbox but runs like absolute poo poo on my deck. I can't even load into the game, it just freezes and I have to hard reset.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Akion posted:

Am I missing something? Valheim has a green checkbox but runs like absolute poo poo on my deck. I can't even load into the game, it just freezes and I have to hard reset.

Have you accidentally left a super low TDP limit on in the global performance settings?

I'm not saying I did that, I would never do that and then forget and then spend 20 minutes puzzling about why Dirt Rally 2 suddenly takes 10 minutes to load a level and then runs at 2fps when it finally gets in. Hypothetically.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lord Bob posted:

Have you accidentally left a super low TDP limit on in the global performance settings?

I'm not saying I did that, I would never do that and then forget and then spend 20 minutes puzzling about why Dirt Rally 2 suddenly takes 10 minutes to load a level and then runs at 2fps when it finally gets in. Hypothetically.

Nope. TDP is off. I'm basically at default settings out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Akion posted:

It worked for me out of the box back when I tested it initially, so either "something funky's going on" or "they pushed an update that accidentally broke it on the deck"

e: did they add an on-launch movie or something? I think every game I've played that straight up doesn't launch is an issue with that sort of crap