Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My friend gave me an old OG iPhone SE that I want to set up as a secondary device (wifi only), but I don''t want it to interfere with my main phone. What's the best way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My friend gave me an old OG iPhone SE that I want to set up as a secondary device (wifi only), but I don''t want it to interfere with my main phone. What's the best way to do this?

Fresh apple account?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Replace your main phone with the iPhone SE

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You actually don't need to sign into a new device at all.
Once you activate it, you can sign into just the app store to download an app.

But a burner Apple ID is probably easier and more convenient unless you want to put some apps on it that cost money and you already purchased on your main.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who've had AirPod Pros for a while, how is the battery life of the case holding up? I've had mine for a little over 1 year and the case only seems to hold a couple charges now, even though I only use my AirPods ~2 hours/week.

I got the earbuds replaced a month ago under warranty, so they have full battery. I fully depleted them last night and the case had 80% left after fully charging the earbuds when I went to sleep. I didn't use them all today but tonight the case says 70%. :confused:

You know, I don't really know. I usually plop it on a wireless pad so I don't really have to think about its charge.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who've had AirPod Pros for a while, how is the battery life of the case holding up? I've had mine for a little over 1 year and the case only seems to hold a couple charges now, even though I only use my AirPods ~2 hours/week.

I got the earbuds replaced a month ago under warranty, so they have full battery. I fully depleted them last night and the case had 80% left after fully charging the earbuds when I went to sleep. I didn't use them all today but tonight the case says 70%. :confused:
I did a full deplete on my AirPod Pros again last night and the case battery dropped from 70% to 54% while doing a batterysafe charge on the earbuds up to 80%, which again is fine, which lines up with the previous night's charge (4% case battery to charge earbuds 20%).

Some Reddit posts seem to indicate the drop in case charge from 80% to 70% over the course of ~18 hours was due to the Find My network, which kinda makes sense. There's also people on Reddit saying resetting their AirPods, disconnecting/reconnecting them to their Apple account fixed battery life issues, but who knows what was going on with those scenarios.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 28, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mine started doing a thing where the case would charge for a few minutes then stop, no matter the cable or power source. That was around 10 months in, Apple replaced it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

You actually don't need to sign into a new device at all.
Once you activate it, you can sign into just the app store to download an app.

But a burner Apple ID is probably easier and more convenient unless you want to put some apps on it that cost money and you already purchased on your main.

The Grumbles posted:

Fresh apple account?

Thanks! I'll probably just make a secondary Apple account.

silence_kit posted:

Replace your main phone with the iPhone SE

...of course!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 16 Public Beta 2 is out! I'm installing it now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

iOS 16 Public Beta 2 is out! I'm installing it now.

Thanks for the heads up! DLing it now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone else having reminders not syncing on the public beta? My iPad seems to update changes to iCloud but my iPhone won’t. I need to disable and re-enable reminders on my phone for it to download an up to date list but won’t do anything after that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't get why this stupid Apple Watch update process keeps insisting using BTLE to transfer the update image, when both devices are on charger and in reach of the WLAN router. Everytime I have to babysit it by disabling BT on the watch to force it on WLAN.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've never had to mess with any networking settings for Watch updates. I don't understand your desire to disable bluetooth.

From what I understand, it's intended for the Watch to use BT to communicate with the phone. The watch can use wifi if it can't talk to your phone over BT or if it can't see your phone at all but that's about it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 29, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The difference is going from 28 minutes to transfer the DB4/PB2 image to the watch to 2 minutes when forcing WLAN.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Some Reddit posts seem to indicate the drop in case charge from 80% to 70% over the course of ~18 hours was due to the Find My network, which kinda makes sense.
Don't they only update when you open the case and/or use the AirPods?* 10% over ~18 hours doesn't seem too bad, particularly for a tiny battery, which is probably trickle charging the tinier batteries in the AirPods themselves.

*Which makes the function pretty limited sure, but it's essentially something they tacked on in software through the paired iOS device

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

japtor posted:

Don't they only update when you open the case and/or use the AirPods?* 10% over ~18 hours doesn't seem too bad, particularly for a tiny battery, which is probably trickle charging the tinier batteries in the AirPods themselves.

*Which makes the function pretty limited sure, but it's essentially something they tacked on in software through the paired iOS device
I’m pretty sure they ping the AirPods periodically because I’ll get notifications that I left my AirPods behind when I run errands.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The difference is going from 28 minutes to transfer the DB4/PB2 image to the watch to 2 minutes when forcing WLAN.

Yeah, I have definitely noticed how much faster my daughter’s watches update than mine. Their watches are family share so they are not officially connected to an IPhone. That allows them to update on WiFi without using Bluetooth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get why this stupid Apple Watch update process keeps insisting using BTLE to transfer the update image, when both devices are on charger and in reach of the WLAN router. Everytime I have to babysit it by disabling BT on the watch to force it on WLAN.

Just let it happen overnight unless you're one of those weirdos that needs a watch to tell you if you slept poorly

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My AirPods case has also gone to pot. Used to last about a week with regular use, now I need to recharge it after 2-3 charges of the pods, with the battery diving seemingly out of nowhere. When they work they’re great but I hate picking them up in the morning and finding every bit depleted.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m pretty sure they ping the AirPods periodically because I’ll get notifications that I left my AirPods behind when I run errands.

I got a notification that I’d left them at my office today while I was 10 minutes away and had the airpod case in my hand.

Turned out the battery was just dead.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my airpods case is still working fine, but the left earbud only lasts about 15 min and the right only lasts about 45 now. got 3 years out of them, which i guess isn't too bad for such a small battery, but really wish there was an option to repair them. feels bad tossing 'em out.

probably gonna upgrade to pros next. are they any more durable in terms of battery lifespan? or is the same 2-3 years that most people seem to get from the baseline airpods?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Pros are a little over 2.5 years old at this point so no one's gonna know exactly how long they last. But they're gonna be roughly comparable to the airpods.

I bought mine shortly after launch and they seem to last about as long as they did when new, but they've lived a pretty easy life because shortly after we all got locked in our homes for two years.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bad Purchase posted:

my airpods case is still working fine, but the left earbud only lasts about 15 min and the right only lasts about 45 now. got 3 years out of them, which i guess isn't too bad for such a small battery, but really wish there was an option to repair them. feels bad tossing 'em out.

probably gonna upgrade to pros next. are they any more durable in terms of battery lifespan? or is the same 2-3 years that most people seem to get from the baseline airpods?

Could always sell them, there are people out there capable of repairing them.

But man is that internal design bad. Apple's fallen so far in terms of designing things, "you're holding it wrong" wouldn't be worth talking about anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

lol I've had my Pros replaced no fewer than twice each (usually warranty, but one was because I lost a bud)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My AirPods have terrible battery life (2-3 hours tops) but it’s hard to even be mad about it when they fully charge after 4 minutes in the case.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

2-3 hours is pretty good, mine were getting less than three by the end of their first year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had mine recently replaced and they usually get around 3.5 hours before needing to be charged.

(I only needed one replaced, but they replaced both for free. I ain't complaining.)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'll say the main reason I picked the Beats Fit Pro over the Airpods Pro (and what I hope is massively changed for the Pro 2) is battery life. Not specifically in the case, but the buds themselves. 6 hours with ANC/Transparency vs. 4.5 hours is huge, especially 2-3 years down the road. I'd love to see the Pro 2 get 6+ hours runtime.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Just let it happen overnight unless you're one of those weirdos that needs a watch to tell you if you slept poorly
God forbid one might think that a smartwatch gentle vibration alarm for waking up is a nice thing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol look at that weirdo (my monitor is on)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Since I downloaded 16 Public Beta 2, my phone’s got a weird bug where maybe a third of the time tap to take has such a long delay on it I think it’s not working so I tap the power button and then it starts trying to wake up but then registers the power button and goes back to sleep.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

And that’s just another reason I don’t install betas

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Soul Glo posted:

Since I downloaded 16 Public Beta 2, my phone’s got a weird bug where maybe a third of the time tap to take has such a long delay on it I think it’s not working so I tap the power button and then it starts trying to wake up but then registers the power button and goes back to sleep.
Thank you for your service.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

American McGay posted:

Thank you for your service.

youre welcome, american mcgay

MarcusSA posted:

And that’s just another reason I don’t install betas

Public Beta 1 was fine!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Did you report the bug?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you report the bug?

Naw where do we do that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Naw where do we do that

After you install the beta OS there should be an app called 'feedback' on your device.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Public Beta 1 was fine!

they put some bugs in on purpose to keep you on your toes

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

After you install the beta OS there should be an app called 'feedback' on your device.

Oh so there is! Never done one of these fancy betas before, had no idea there was an app.

I submitted an error report.

Clark Nova posted:

they put some bugs in on purpose to keep you on your toes

TIM APPLE!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm very lucky that I haven't had to use the Feedback app yet with either PB1 or PB2 but I'm glad it's there