Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

From what I've heard on the legal podcasts I listen to (ALAB specifically) Judges absolutely HAAAATE dealing with disputes like this

So this lawyer is really not helping himself here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

"Your honor, this evidence is not being offered for its accuracy, just for its vibe, so I don't see why it needs to be true, right?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol Alex's lawyers only supplied the final email in a chain and left out the actual proposal from the defendants

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Heads up, the audio on the livestream is wonky today

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

KitConstantine posted:

From what I've heard on the legal podcasts I listen to (ALAB specifically) Judges absolutely HAAAATE dealing with disputes like this

I can't imagine it feels good to tell the lawyers to go home and read the code of conduct like they're naughty schoolchildren.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

All this just to get a video admitted where someone says "the teachers were so brave"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I was a garbage student in grade school (depression!!) and I wasn’t loving chided this much

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Trillhouse posted:

I can't imagine it feels good to tell the lawyers to go home and read the code of conduct like they're naughty schoolchildren.

If a judge tells a lawyer that it pretty much means they have hugely messed up and are about to get absolutely slammed if the behavior continues. And well I am fairly confident the behavior will continue

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

LMAO Daria's not qualified to be a business records custodian.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Break for at least 18 min to review new evidence

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

All those hours hocking bullshit supplements for this

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

mojo1701a posted:

LMAO Daria's not qualified to be a business records custodian.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mojo1701a posted:

As I recall, the corporations as witnesses were given a list of topics that were going to be covered (don't know if they got specific questions, but I assume additional details were asked) and none of the corporate witnesses knew anything about what was asked.

That's why they kept having to ask Rob Dew, "Do you personally not know, or does the corporation not know?" when Dew kept answering that he doesn't know.

A corporation legitimately not knowing something is one thing, because records can be lost, informal poo poo, etc., but none of them did any research at all.

I assume part of that led to the summary judgment, but I don't know as I only recently started listening to this. I'm not a long-time listener/first-time caller.

Just a clarification: Summary judgment is when there is no dispute of material fact and one party is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. That isn't what happened here. It could have happened if Jones had participated in discovery at all, but he didn't.

What happened here is a full default on liability also known as a death penalty sanction. This is an extremely rare thing to have occur and requires specific findings of bad faith by one of the parties.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

Yup. Judges expect attorneys to be professionals and able to work with their peers regardless of how divided their respective parties may be. When a judge has to step in, that means the lawyers and/or clients are being exceptionally lovely. It's easy to see who is responsible for what in court. Here, Jones and Mullet, Esq. are both responsible for the jackassery.

I really enjoyed her "I'm not surprised" when Mullet said he had sanction motions pending against him personally.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
In all honesty, the absolute :brainworms: this has become I feel will genuinely affect the law in some sort of way.

One thing I do like about this judge, I’m learning a LOT from how she approaches the jury and sometimes the defense. I have no desire to ever be a lawyer or step into a courtroom, however this is kinda interesting to sorta witness and watch!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just a clarification: Summary judgment is when there is no dispute of material fact and one party is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. That isn't what happened here. It could have happened if Jones had participated in discovery at all, but he didn't.

What happened here is a full default on liability also known as a death penalty sanction. This is an extremely rare thing to have occur and requires specific findings of bad faith by one of the parties.

My bad, I got the two confused. It was the default judgment I was thinking of.

teen witch posted:

In all honesty, the absolute :brainworms: this has become I feel will genuinely affect the law in some sort of way.

I mean, "cuck destroyer" is now a matter of legal record.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I briefly entertained being a lawyer, but the only slice of the law I'm interested in is constitutional law and uh, they don't teach just that at law school. I do not care about torts, contracts, civil cases, etc

Maritime law would also be interesting to me

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Attorney at Sea

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I briefly entertained being a lawyer, but the only slice of the law I'm interested in is constitutional law and uh, they don't teach just that at law school. I do not care about torts, contracts, civil cases, etc

Maritime law would also be interesting to me

I had to take an intro to business law course for my (eventual) CPA designation. I found the basics interesting but gently caress me if I ever want to do all of that research for a living.

I only occasionally have to look up relevant accounting standards because 99% of my job is filing not-dissimilar corporate and personal tax returns.

kntfkr posted:

Attorney at Sea

Hey, save it for the stand, Barry Zuckerkorn.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I took a course in media and the law, so that I was interested in but gently caress me I just wanted my BA and to be done with academia for a while ( :negative: that was ten years ago)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I had to take an intro to business law course for my (eventual) CPA designation. I found the basics interesting but gently caress me if I ever want to do all of that research for a living.

In undergrad I took a business law course taught by a real sitting judge, and a constitutional law course. The business law was interesting from a consumer perspective but I agree with you: holy poo poo I never want to do it

I do remember, however, if you're in an accident with a corporate vehicle the corporation is liable. I think I remember that at least...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1552660839517130752?s=20&t=1Tg_5mcsFCn602rLIi_QKQ

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If y'all want another thing to be mad about, here's some fun texas law thanks to Greg Abbott pulling up the ladder as soon as he got elected.

Texas law has a cap on punitive damages. It's 2x economic damages plus between $200-$750k for non-economic damages. All of the damages in this case are expressly defined by statute as non-economic damages. The punitive damages in this case will be capped by the judge after the jury verdict at $750k.

The jury will probably award like $500m in punitive damages, but because of TORT REFORM, Jones will have to pay less than he gets in random bitcoin donations for punishment.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Found a picture of Judge Gamble from this morning:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

In undergrad I took a business law course taught by a real sitting judge, and a constitutional law course. The business law was interesting from a consumer perspective but I agree with you: holy poo poo I never want to do it

I do remember, however, if you're in an accident with a corporate vehicle the corporation is liable. I think I remember that at least...

Oh, mine was just a college course as part of a two-year accounting diploma.

I'm just thankful that Canadian law seems much more "spirit of the law" and based on good-faith arguments (and that the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is flexible, despite what the convoy morons say).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Judge is back, defendants don't get to use the videos they wanted

https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1552670865363324928

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 28, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

god it's gotta suck to be the jury on this

just chilling in the jury room for like two hours, doing really nothing

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Mr. Nice! posted:

If y'all want another thing to be mad about, here's some fun texas law thanks to Greg Abbott pulling up the ladder as soon as he got elected.

Texas law has a cap on punitive damages. It's 2x economic damages plus between $200-$750k for non-economic damages. All of the damages in this case are expressly defined by statute as non-economic damages. The punitive damages in this case will be capped by the judge after the jury verdict at $750k.

The jury will probably award like $500m in punitive damages, but because of TORT REFORM, Jones will have to pay less than he gets in random bitcoin donations for punishment.

I'd like to think that even though the money he has to pay out will not be a devastating amount, that the stress brought on by this whole thing will shorten his lifespan by a few years.

I thought Trump's heart would have congealed and exploded upon losing the election too, but I'm still waiting for that.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The judge shares the classic FarSide cartoon about the dog translator on her daily calendar

mod edit: again, please do not post this and see the below post as to why.

One of the GOATS imo

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 28, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I had to edit that out, sorry

I love that cartoon but Gary Larson (and his lawyers) have made it clear that they do not want his comics posted outside their own control. That's why the PYF comics (i think?) thread is currently outside of user view

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

sorry your honor. I'm not up-to-date with comic law.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

You guys weren't kidding. Daria is a lot more open and eloquent with the defence counsel.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Seth Pecksniff posted:

god it's gotta suck to be the jury on this

just chilling in the jury room for like two hours, doing really nothing

I'll be in the minority and love to be on the jury.

Did a 3 day Civil case years ago and loved the experience

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

yeah no worries - not a lot of people know that part of the site

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
https://youtu.be/UWWLwtMLWCI

'Hey'

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What the absolute gently caress was that Prozac thing

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

So we're just going through the greatest hits now.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Daria talking to the prosecution: What is a video? What is social media? I don't know.

Daria talking to the defense: Knows the DARPA acronym from memory

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

"Do you feel Infowars allows all voices on the show?"
"Oh yes totally, all voices are welcome"

That is the problem lady, you allowed on the voices in your head too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

As if by magic she can explain Alex’s sourcing process soup to nuts. Yesterday it ‘comes from his head, it’s impossible to know.’