Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Boba Pearl posted:

It's been like 2 or 3 years since I played I think, I guess I forgot about a lot of this stuff, drat.

1.4 added a lot of this good stuff which only came out a couple years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

someone awful. posted:

the addition of pylons was a game-changer in the absolute best way. having to think about organizing villager placement for happiness is a little annoying, but it's fun to build cute biome-appropriate houses and get the ability to warp all over the place
Agreed, the pylon system reignited the spark I'd lost for wanting to make visually appealing builds and not just cramped housing. Plus you don't have to string out thousands of wire or wait till after the mechanical bosses to make them!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I've just started with a pylon system, so far it's just between a desert that's not too far away from my main base and spawn. but looking at setting one up further afield in the Hallow. I'm playing in Journey Mode and turned off Corruption Spread, does that mean Hallow also won't spread? I just went to Hard Mode and there's a teeny tiny patch of Hallow just at the edge of an ice biome, right before a forest, wondering if it'll get bigger.

So far I've just used a sky minecart track over to the ocean on the west side, which is where the Angler is. I just shimmy up the rope at my base, launch the minecart, then get up from the computer for a minute or two or check my phone while I'm in transit (medium world).

Journey mode is such a nice compromise between regular and a Minecraft style creative. Takes a lot of the grind out while still giving a feeling of accomplishment.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

Are there any mods for Terraria that makes it so single player would be fun? I've only ever played this with a group, but I'm on at odd hours, and kind of want to putter away at something when I need to brain off for a bit, and was thinking about trying a hyper modded play through. I don't think I've ever played with mods.

There's a mod called Builder Essentials that includes things like mirroring, building with shapes, autohammering, etc. that hasn't been fully updated to 1.4 yet as far as I can tell, but is currently being worked on. It's possible that it will work in 1.4, but you'll most likely have to compile it yourself:

https://github.com/xKirtle/BuilderEssentials/wiki/1.4-Items

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Are there any recommended inventory management mods? Or other general QoL stuff?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s worth visiting a couple worlds to make sure you get a magic carpet. That’s still the best early game traversal tool

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Papercut posted:

Are there any recommended inventory management mods? Or other general QoL stuff?

Both of these are on the 1.4 workshop, but "auto trash slots" and "Magic Storage" are both almost mandatory mods. Auto trash slots lets you mark a particular item as trash on pickup so you don't fill your inventory with 5 different types of dye materials or whatever. Magic Storage lets you condense all your storage needs into a single mega chest that you can upgrade as you progress through the game. It also features a crafting interface where you can drop all your crafting stations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

Both of these are on the 1.4 workshop, but "auto trash slots" and "Magic Storage" are both almost mandatory mods. Auto trash slots lets you mark a particular item as trash on pickup so you don't fill your inventory with 5 different types of dye materials or whatever. Magic Storage lets you condense all your storage needs into a single mega chest that you can upgrade as you progress through the game. It also features a crafting interface where you can drop all your crafting stations.

These both sound amazing, thanks

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Armors and Weapons that make up for the fact that you'll be fighting the bosses solo, like vehicles maybe?
I think bosses scale based on the number of players so you don't need this in the first place.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm really confused trying to get tmodloader setup on steam deck.

Installed it, opened it, it prompted me to import my players and worlds, I said yes. It imported my characters, but only 1 of 2 worlds. Trying to do it manually through the menu doesn't work (the world migrate list is blank)

So I go to desktop mode and copy my .local/share/Terraria/Worlds folder into .local/share/Terraria/tmodloader/Worlds. Still only have the 1 world in tmodloader.

So then I go into .local/share/steam/userdata/<user>/105600 and the same but 1281930 and make sure they both have matching worlds folders. Still only have the 1 world in tmodloader. Ugh.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DoubleNegative posted:

Magic Storage is such an insane ridiculous quality of life gain that I honestly get annoyed when I play other builder/crafter/survival style games that don't have anything like it, especially when I play them multiplayer with a bunch of friends who just throw completely random poo poo in the first box they see and make it literally impossible to ever find anything unless I spend hours tediously organizing inventory boxes. Magic Storage is just like "yeah just throw poo poo in the giant communal storage, it has tabs and sorting" instead of the garbage "55 individual labeled chests" system.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 13, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For some reason, I could never gel with Magic Storage. It's hard to describe, but making everything so centralized to a single source became overwhelming, to the point of making it hard to keep track of how much of various given resources I actually had stocked, and every time I wanted to take something out I had to type the name in to search because the inventory itself was so overfull. Got tired of using the search box for everything, and didn't find the crafting interface very intuitive.
I'm sure overall it's a huge convenience but I just couldn't get over the interface, I guess.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

For some reason, I could never gel with Magic Storage. It's hard to describe, but making everything so centralized to a single source became overwhelming, to the point of making it hard to keep track of how much of various given resources I actually had stocked, and every time I wanted to take something out I had to type the name in to search because the inventory itself was so overfull. Got tired of using the search box for everything, and didn't find the crafting interface very intuitive.
I'm sure overall it's a huge convenience but I just couldn't get over the interface, I guess.

IIRC it has tabs for various types of stuff, so if you want to check how much ore/metal you have in a general sense, you can just click on the mining icon and it'll filter and only show that kind of stuff.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Magic storage can get a bit fucky in multiplayer sometimes, but nothing a restart of the server can't fix.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/1546883832258990083

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i am barely exaggerating when i say that is probably the thing i’m most excited about in the update. this will make building arenas so much easier

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Holy gently caress finally

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/Demilogic/status/1547226390642188289
:staredog:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

:eyepop:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It had better be a superboss that makes Calamity look like piss

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Clicking it makes the screen display the text "nothing."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Black August posted:

It had better be a superboss that makes Calamity look like piss

They already put a Calamity style superboss in the game with daytime Empress of Light.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This may sound odd, but the part of me that wants them to stop updating the PC version is motivated by wanting the console versions to catch up.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm at that phase now where I want to stop hearing about Labor of Love and actually see it released.

Love these guys, they have so much goodwill they can do whatever they want and I'll accept it, but I've moved past the "fun tease" stage into the "give me the drat thing" stage for this update. (In part because I'm waiting for it to do a playthrough.)

I hope it comes soon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does Calamity have more ways to curb corruption spread or should I just find a mod that makes it togglable if I don't want to deal with that in this game?

I'm doing a solo Calamity run and a duo vanilla run with someone who's never played before, and managing the spread in the duo game is enough for me.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Does Calamity have more ways to curb corruption spread or should I just find a mod that makes it togglable if I don't want to deal with that in this game?

I'm doing a solo Calamity run and a duo vanilla run with someone who's never played before, and managing the spread in the duo game is enough for me.

i like this mod that makes pylons stop their biomes from being corrupted, so your towns with pylons don't get messed up. it doesn't kill the mechanic in other areas, though, so you might want to look for something else if you want to kill the mechanic completely

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

someone awful. posted:

i like this mod that makes pylons stop their biomes from being corrupted, so your towns with pylons don't get messed up. it doesn't kill the mechanic in other areas, though, so you might want to look for something else if you want to kill the mechanic completely

That looks extremely good but attempting to download it on tmodloader just crashes the game.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what the heck??? it just worked for me the other day, lemme try it

e: can you try subscribing to it on the workshop?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

You can turn it off in Journey mode.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

iirc calamity corruption spread is always at the post plantera level which is slow but there’s still spread

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
https://twitter.com/Yoraiz0r/status/1551620199723450368 hey this seems like a p neat addition

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/Leinfors/status/1551624731585019910
https://twitter.com/Leinfors/status/1551645979736248320
I appreciate the UI difficulty in doing otherwise, but that's rough for those rare drops and late-game combined accessories. Still makes it useful for having a fishing loadout, though, where you don't particularly need your terraspark boots.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

https://twitter.com/Leinfors/status/1551624731585019910
https://twitter.com/Leinfors/status/1551645979736248320
I appreciate the UI difficulty in doing otherwise, but that's rough for those rare drops and late-game combined accessories. Still makes it useful for having a fishing loadout, though, where you don't particularly need your terraspark boots.

does justify my "always being in journey mode is the right thing to do" stance though

watho
Aug 2, 2013

im sure if you’re dedicated enough you could use that to stance dance between magic and ranged builds but im just happy to just be able to go on impromptu fishing expeditions :)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

egg tats posted:

does justify my "always being in journey mode is the right thing to do" stance though
Maybe some day they'll let us convert regular worlds and characters to journey mode.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna know when they're going to add a mechanical brain of cthulhu and implement treasure bags with special expert stuff for the bosses that lack them/have them but aren't enabled

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mad Dragon posted:

Maybe some day they'll let us convert regular worlds and characters to journey mode.
Pretty sure you can at least edit this somehow, save editor or TEdit or something.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Pretty sure you can at least edit this somehow, save editor or TEdit or something.

On consoles?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does anyone have a blurb on how to get started with using mods? The OP is a version behind on the link about modding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Devor posted:

Does anyone have a blurb on how to get started with using mods? The OP is a version behind on the link about modding

it’s pretty simple nowadays, dowload tmodloader on steam and subscribe to the mods you want via the workshop