Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh poo poo, the tourists are on their way right now, we've gotta go for total obliteration! No, don't worry about the shoes, I said we're going total!

"Man killed by flying horseshoe from exploding horse corpse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CommieGIR posted:

"Man killed by flying horseshoe from exploding horse corpse."

It's a boy!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I've recently started watching Yellowstone, and this seems entirely plausible for something that would happen in the show

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nenonen posted:

It absolutely amazes me that they thought it would be a good idea to have those two blokes standing on the platform!

Like, you have a couch right there. Sit down for gently caress's sake!

It's the nice guest couch tho

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Didn't people do exactly this to a beached whale and it uhhhhhhhh not go well at all?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 28, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, the Oregon Highway Division definitely did not read that plan

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Should have used more explosives.

Or cleared the area of bystanders, but I think more explosives is the key to success here. Blow it up so hard that the pieces land in a different prescint.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've stood in the vicinity of a large chunk of decomposing whale blubber* and the stench is horrific.

* not a goon meet

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've stood in the vicinity of a large chunk of decomposing whale blubber* and the stench is horrific.

* not a goon meet

You should take better care of personal hygiene.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Bee(r) belly

Just don't try it on whales again

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Placement may have been an issue with the whale, but they used a shitload of dynamite for the size. If you estimate an average horse to be 1000lbs, they recommend 55lbs to obliterate it. The whale was estimated to be 16,000 pounds, so a direct scale up would be like 900lbs of dynamite.

quote:

George Thornton, the engineer in charge of the operation, told an interviewer that he was not sure how much dynamite would be needed, saying that he had been chosen to remove the whale because his supervisor had gone hunting. A charge of one-half short ton (450 kg) of dynamite was selected.[6][7] A military veteran with explosives training who happened to be in the area warned that the planned twenty cases of dynamite was far too much, and that 20 sticks (8.4 lb or 3.8 kg[8]) would have sufficed, but his advice went unheeded.[3]

Later that day, Thornton told the Eugene Register-Guard, "It went just exactly right."

Pretty close to the actual amount used.

Maybe they neglected to cover the entire surface of the animal with sticks to ensure total obliteration. Maybe whales are hardier than horses. Maybe chunks are just a part of it and they should have waited the necessary several days for traces of existence to disappear.

Blowing animals to smithereens is a land of contrast.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/A2aWjjp.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Clearly this should have been the next goal of Project Plowshare, no need to worry about whale chunks if you atomize it!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The square cube law as a guideline says the whale has way way more inside meat than a horse?

Also while dumb topologists say a whale and horse are the same 7 hole cups, they not not exactly the same.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

By popular demand posted:

Clearly this should have been the next goal of Project Plowshare, no need to worry about whale chunks if you atomize it!

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

in the first few frames you can see the next panel is already broken, so could this be some intentional arty effect?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Ror posted:

Placement may have been an issue with the whale, but they used a shitload of dynamite for the size. If you estimate an average horse to be 1000lbs, they recommend 55lbs to obliterate it. The whale was estimated to be 16,000 pounds, so a direct scale up would be like 900lbs of dynamite.

Pretty close to the actual amount used.

Maybe they neglected to cover the entire surface of the animal with sticks to ensure total obliteration. Maybe whales are hardier than horses. Maybe chunks are just a part of it and they should have waited the necessary several days for traces of existence to disappear.

Blowing animals to smithereens is a land of contrast.

Judging by this related video I found while trying to find the original news footage, it's also possible there was a lot of rotting gas buildup which made it extra-splodey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6SO4vmrqRQ&t=185s (go to 3:05 if the timestamp doesn't work)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

spiny posted:

in the first few frames you can see the next panel is already broken, so could this be some intentional arty effect?

Or that guy is just having a REALLY bad day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

UraniumAnchor posted:

Judging by this related video I found while trying to find the original news footage, it's also possible there was a lot of rotting gas buildup which made it extra-splodey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6SO4vmrqRQ&t=185s (go to 3:05 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Corpse-gas from a bloated marine mammal is one of the worst things I’ve ever smelled. Its not quite as bad as dead/bloated/popped sea turtle, but let’s be real: that’s a class all it’s own 🤢

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Popped sea turtle sounds like an expensive dish that you can only order in a secret back room of an exclusive restaurant.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

spiny posted:

pretty sure it's a faake though more importantly those stairs look like they'd suck to use. no handrail.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We were going to necropsy it to try and determine cause of death a day or so after it washed up, then things kept coming up that kept us from taking care of it. Some people put up a cross in front of it at one point, then all the corpse-bloat vented…and then vented again a few days before I got the pleasure of finally burying it. I think it was on the beach for like 2 weeks or so?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

Didn't people do exactly this to a beached whale and it uhhhhhhhh not go well at all?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

I have family that has worked trail crew for the Forrest Service, and this is a thing that happens. The horse explosion, not the whale. So far.

First time my cousin was on a crew with it, a pack horse had died up a trail, so they went up to remove it. Their crew was a little fast and loose on the amount they used, but they definitely turned that horse into bits. At least they hope so, as there was a horse, then an explosion, and no horse. Either that or they launched it somewhere into the woods.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Corpse-gas from a bloated marine mammal is one of the worst things I’ve ever smelled. Its not quite as bad as dead/bloated/popped sea turtle, but let’s be real: that’s a class all it’s own

I used to work at a natural history museum and we'd do public dissections of various animals. We got a beached white-beaked dolphin in once, and I had to keep a close eye on the visiting public because people kept fainting at the smell. All adults, the kids didn't seem to mind (other than making a face as they hit the wall of dead dolphin when they entered the auditorium).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

I have family that has worked trail crew for the Forrest Service, and this is a thing that happens. The horse explosion, not the whale. So far.

First time my cousin was on a crew with it, a pack horse had died up a trail, so they went up to remove it. Their crew was a little fast and loose on the amount they used, but they definitely turned that horse into bits. At least they hope so, as there was a horse, then an explosion, and no horse. Either that or they launched it somewhere into the woods.

Is it called the Forrest Service because when you detonate a horse corpse you never know what you're gonna get?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CitizenKain posted:

This always seems weird to me. Just drag the drat corpse into the woods or leave it where it lies for the bears and mountain cats and coyotes.

There's a lot of wild horses where I live and the corpses tend to sit until they've been picked over and dried out, or at least until a backhoe can get to it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This always seems weird to me. Just drag the drat corpse into the woods or leave it where it lies for the bears and mountain cats and coyotes.

There's a lot of wild horses where I live and the corpses tend to sit until they've been picked over and dried out, or at least until a backhoe can get to it.
It's usually a useful goal to make managed recreational land not a vacation spot for bears cats and coyotes. Trails, garbage cans, toilets, and groomed open areas are tempting enough. No need to keep the horse buffet around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus it's not like large animal corpses have frame-mounted tow and hoist points. If you can't bring in a piece of equipment capable of scooping up the whole thing in one go, you don't have a lot of options.

The only thing better than trying to dispose of a 1200-pound horse corpse is trying to dispose of 1200 pounds of spilled decay byproducts

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. That's a fair point. Just seems like such a drat waste. They could make gallons of glue from those dead horses, or air drop them in the back country.

Nope. Dynamite.

I don't know that aerosolizing a horse is going to prevent predators from nosing around anyhow. Seems like you'd just be spreading the smell over a larger area.

E: dead horse with no hook points. Just make your own. Punch a hole through and loop around the spine, drag it off into the woods with an ATV.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. That's a fair point. Just seems like such a drat waste. They could make gallons of glue from those dead horses, or air drop them in the back country.

Nope. Dynamite.

I don't know that aerosolizing a horse is going to prevent predators from nosing around anyhow. Seems like you'd just be spreading the smell over a larger area.

E: dead horse with no hook points. Just make your own. Punch a hole through and loop around the spine, drag it off into the woods with an ATV.

But it would be over with in a hurry. An intact corpse would take months to decay. Splattering it into a million pieces gets it over with in a week.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not gonna lie. If given the chance I'd probably shoot a dead horse packed full of tannerite.

Still seems like a big waste, but this is america.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Buddy, punching holes in a weeks old carcass out in the woods is the LAST thing you'd want to do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not gonna lie. If given the chance I'd probably shoot a dead horse packed full of tannerite.

Let us know what the gender is!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/sqXJd9d.mp4

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

But it would be over with in a hurry. An intact corpse would take months to decay. Splattering it into a million pieces gets it over with in a week.

right, really you're just speeding up the decomposition process to the final stages

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

*Gets killed by the 200mph fasthhoof chucked at them by the 'splosion
:911:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sure they’ll sniff around, but if they don’t find anything worth eating it’s all for nothing and hopefully they don’t start associating big booms with free food.

There’s a video out there somewhere from a (likely horrified) visitor watching me tow a washed up/dead (the bloat ‘n’ float special) sea turtle up to the dunes to bury it. There’s no way I’m moving an animal that probably weighs over 300lbs on my own to start with (let alone out of the tidal zone and up the beach), which I remember them being a little sympathetic to when I talked to them…but they were still recording me all the while :laffo:

I rigged some drat knot that I can’t recall that did the trick perfectly, on a largely round animal. I get that this would be wayyyyy harder to pull off in the woods, but having a leg/hoof/something to tie off to sounds like a better deal than what I usually have to deal with.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/bmu7VGI.mp4

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

haveblue posted:

Let us know what the gender is!

Imagine getting nailed by an airborne horse dick half a mile from the detonation site.

Is that good luck? Like a bird making GBS threads on you?

E:

Love it. Where's Tim Gunn?