Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

watho posted:

it’s pretty simple nowadays, dowload tmodloader on steam and subscribe to the mods you want via the workshop

What about GOG users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

JustJeff88 posted:

What about GOG users?

i’m so sorry :smith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

you know do I like Calamity, or do I like the idea of there being a bunch of stuff left to do after the moon lord and kinda dislike Calamity itself? :thunk:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

watho posted:

it’s pretty simple nowadays, dowload tmodloader on steam and subscribe to the mods you want via the workshop
TModloader also has an in-game mod browser for convenience!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, it’s pretty easy once you have installed Tmodloader. Just use the in-game menu to browse and download mods.

It’s not a good way to discover mods though. Then you’re better off asking here or browsing steam workshop or the Relogic forums

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Browsing by popular will still get some pretty good names, but yeah, there's far more worth playing than you'll find in just the top 50.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Browsing by popular will still get some pretty good names, but yeah, there's far more worth playing than you'll find in just the top 50.

Where do you browse by popular? The in-game browser was pretty atrocious

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devor posted:

Where do you browse by popular? The in-game browser was pretty atrocious
There's sorting buttons at the top left corner. It seemed pretty functional to me when I used it.

Sort by popularity or total downloads and you'll get a good look at some of the important ones, but still worth asking around about some less popular gems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

watho posted:

i’m so sorry :smith:

I actually own both, but figures that they would stick it to the no-DRM revolution.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually own both, but figures that they would stick it to the no-DRM revolution.

https://github.com/tModLoader/tModLoader/wiki/tModLoader-guide-for-players

There is a manual install option for non steam users. Though it appears you still have to install steam for 1.4 mod browsing to work.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Zereth posted:

you know do I like Calamity, or do I like the idea of there being a bunch of stuff left to do after the moon lord and kinda dislike Calamity itself? :thunk:

I guess on this topic, were the other big content mods any good? I was fascinated by Thorium and Spirit.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I recall Thorium as being good, but it's not really a post game mod like Calamity, it's more of an alternate path through the base game. I don't think I tried spirit though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The problem I have with a lot of mods (even Calamity) is that Terraria progression can't really be spaced out. You would have to adjust every area and every mob up, *carefully*, and balance around it. If you don't, it takes just as long to go between tiers, even if there's another in the middle.
Like, if a mod adds another set between adamantine and hallowed... why would I bother? I usually skip straight to hallowed anyway, when I can manage it. If they add a suite of weapons and armor that fits between gold and shadow/crimson armor, I'm never going to touch it. The content in Terraria already progresses smoothly and quickly between the existing tiers, socketing a new one between tiers is extremely hard to do. Most mod content I just blow right by.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Agreed. Thorium is particularly bad in that regard since it adds a bunch of pre-EOC content that you would have to grind drops to even know exists.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I find that they're best when they're not, like, another tier, but an armor set of a class type that doesn't normally exist at that tier.

What brought this up is, in fact, that I beat the moon lord, and thought about how calamity post-moon-lord progression works and went "... do I really want to do this right now?"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

There's sorting buttons at the top left corner. It seemed pretty functional to me when I used it.

Sort by popularity or total downloads and you'll get a good look at some of the important ones, but still worth asking around about some less popular gems.

Oh I see - those initially read to me as toggle buttons, and not something that would cycle through different options

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A bunch of the boss sets are class specific, instead of Terraria's early-game flat defense boosts. I think Thorium's progression makes a lot more sense in multiplayer than it does single-player for that reason, where the group is going to want equipment for several roles.

It's kinda reliant on looking up stuff on the wiki which is definitely annoying.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
July newsletter is out: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/105600?emclan=103582791433471177&emgid=3392917655522054401

No release date yet, but it looks like they are reworking some Void Bag mechanics. Planning my third playthrough soon and this is my first time hearing about the Void Bag.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Also moving the mods wiki off of Fandom which is a relief. It's almost impossible to browse without an adblocker and the mobile version is even worse.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I hear they recently hosed up the search, and it now searches every Fandom wiki in existence at once instead of the specific wiki you're looking at, too.

That void bag stuff is cool.

I wonder how much room there is for a big mod like calamity or thorium that rips out the vanilla progression entirely and replaces it with a new one. It'd be even more work though and I'm worried the kind of person who would do that would make it really grindy and with fewer shortcuts.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Thorium is neat because it adds three different, new classes to the game (well, two and a half new, throwing used to exist in a very limited state) while giving vanilla classes something else to do as well. And yeah, it may be pretty obscure for some stuff, but it does expand your options.

Kind of want Thorium to come out for 1.4 now so I can do a Doot Marine playthrough (another mod to let me have the non defense stats from vanity armor, Bard+Ranger)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Aside from magic storage and the trash slot, are there any mods that are good for just qol stuff? Like I've got the 2 mentioned as well as the boss checklist, is there anything else definitely worth picking up just for smoothing out and streamlining organization and keeping track of important info?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Aside from magic storage and the trash slot, are there any mods that are good for just qol stuff? Like I've got the 2 mentioned as well as the boss checklist, is there anything else definitely worth picking up just for smoothing out and streamlining organization and keeping track of important info?
This pone has a lot of features, which can be adjusted and turned on/off in config: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2797518634

Many but not all of them are kinda cheaty.

EDIT: Some more:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789237440
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2831752947
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2793971101
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2687866031
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2626764822

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 30, 2022

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Consistent Reforging too! This adds an undo button to the reforge screen, and is supposed to prevent duplicates from happening. I'm not sure the "preventing duplicates" bit even works, but the undo button is a life saver.

Omniswing - Adds auto swing to every weapon in the game. So nice and impossible to go back to playing without.
More Endless Ammo - Adds infinite bags of every type of ammo available in vanilla 1.4. You still have to have 3,996 of the ammo and bring them to a crystal ball to get the infinite bag, so this is just expanding vanilla functionality already in place.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't live without Omniswing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Omniswing is one of the many thigns Quality of Life does.

In addition it can make stuff infinite as soon as you cross a configured boundary, which I think defaults to 3,996 for ammo. EDIT: this works on any ammo, not just vanilla ones.

On a "slightly more cheaty" note it also make potions passively provide their buff for just existing in one of your inventories at a stack of 30, which also works with mod added potions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

1.4.4 news: corrupted jungle tiles will now stay mud so you can just clentaminate it straight back to jungle

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A lateral move that solves all problems, and which I'd never even considered.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

1.4.4 news: corrupted jungle tiles will now stay mud so you can just clentaminate it straight back to jungle
Oh poo poo are we going to get corrupted jungle now??

EDIT: Crimson jungle. Hallow Jungle.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No Hallowed Jungle, but they've never cross-contaminated in the first place.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It doesn't look like there is corrupted jungle, just standard corrupt/crimson grass on mud which is good enough for me.

Calamity is apparently redoing the Wulfrum armor set for a future release, the set power will summon a suit of power armor with a Metal Slug-esque machine gun arm.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I've been messing around with Calamity 1.4, seems neat, never messed with mods before.

Anyone interested in playing on a dedicated server if I put one up?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Man, I'm trying out pylons for the first time and now regretting not making a Large world. I know I can always start a new one, but I'm invested in this one (made it when I had covid last month and had to isolate).

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Pylons are one of the best things they ever added

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Pylons are one of the best things they ever added

Until you make a bee world that is almost 100% jungle. I guess I could build enough poo poo to make a fake biome, but :effort:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Dreamsicle posted:

I guess on this topic, were the other big content mods any good? I was fascinated by Thorium and Spirit.

Split in 1.3 is very good, its much smaller than all the other big mods but its probably one of the best i played quality wise, and avoids the usual pitfalls of samey weapons nicely.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
From the August update.

quote:

It is our intention to make this the first simultaneous Terraria update release across all platforms. That means that if all goes to plan, Terraria: Labor of Love will release on PC, Console, and Mobile at the same time!

Barring any issues or delays in first party (Sony, Nintendo, etc) submissions, we expect Labor of Love to release in late September.

Just my luck that the Anno expansion and this expansion will hit on the same day....

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Will this update put the non-PC versions completely concurrent with the PC one, or is it just content specific to that update? I presume the latter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

JustJeff88 posted:

Will this update put the non-PC versions completely concurrent with the PC one, or is it just content specific to that update? I presume the latter.

They already did whatever it was they were going to do on this front AFAIK. I think that was the Spring update? They'll never be the same because the consoles/mobile don't support mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

edit: nevermind wrong game