Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Try verifying files or reinstalling. I'm playing Valheim daily at about 45fps with no issues or tweaks.

Btw I love that the pause menu shows the deck controls, very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Just got my email and placed the order!

I was a waffling dumbass so I reserved mine nearly four days after they went up last year. (If it helps anyone, it was the 256 model on July 20th at 7:26 am EST) Now I just need to spend the next week trying not to think about it like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Me too! Super loving hyped!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I completed my purchase over 72 hours ago and been stuck on "Shipping Status: Shipping Soon" for 2 days now. Is this unusual?

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016

Chinook posted:

I completed my purchase over 72 hours ago and been stuck on "Shipping Status: Shipping Soon" for 2 days now. Is this unusual?

It’s been the same for me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chinook posted:

Yeah. It takes a while to come wherever you are in the world, it seems. Try not to obsess (I failed)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Akion posted:

Am I missing something? Valheim has a green checkbox but runs like absolute poo poo on my deck. I can't even load into the game, it just freezes and I have to hard reset.
Make sure you have "allow downloads while playing games" turned off because this will gently caress up things way more than expected.

minusX fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 28, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well its like they say. its really eht true "steam dreck"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

shrike82 posted:

i haven't been following the Switch discussions - does Switch emulation work well on the Deck?

It's very game dependent; I recently just beat all of Pikmin 3 Deluxe and there were some graphical issues (in caves and certain flower platforms were strobbing like crazy making the whole screen seizure inducing) and minor performance hitches but it was completely playable. BOTW I only messed with for a bit, but it wasn't bad but the hitches were more common. Smash Bros Ultimate just doesn't run for me. Super Mario Galaxy ran pretty well but it looks really... pixely? I don't know if this is a render issue with Yuzu because I noticed the same kind of pixelation in certain areas in Pikmin 3. Link's Awakening works really well, however all Chain Chomp (Bow-Wow) enemies are rendered totally wrong and are super hosed up looking but they're a minor part of the game.

Basically YMMV but give it a shot, you'll probably be surprised at what runs.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

minusX posted:

Make sure you have "allow downloads while playing games" because this will gently caress up things way more than expected.

You want this turned off right? As it slows everything down.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm enjoying emulating old games on Deck. I also like to tinker with the setup, maybe just as much as playing the games themselves.

Does anyone have suggestions or neat ideas for emulator controls and hotkeys?

E.g., I think someone in this thread earlier said they had their deck set up such that touching a trackpad made some kind of radial menu appear with options like load state / save state?

I'm also looking for good ideas to incorporate hotkeys for things like fast forward, rewind, etc.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

GTO posted:

You want this turned off right? As it slows everything down.

Sorry, yes have it turned off.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm enjoying emulating old games on Deck. I also like to tinker with the setup, maybe just as much as playing the games themselves.

Does anyone have suggestions or neat ideas for emulator controls and hotkeys?

E.g., I think someone in this thread earlier said they had their deck set up such that touching a trackpad made some kind of radial menu appear with options like load state / save state?

I'm also looking for good ideas to incorporate hotkeys for things like fast forward, rewind, etc.

You could look at the EmuDeck-installed Duckstation controller layout: https://github.com/dragoonDorise/EmuDeck/blob/main/configs/steam-input/duckstation_controller_config.vdf
It uses the left touchpad to map a variety of keyboard keys, give them friendly names, and set icons and colors.

You could use a radial menu instead of a touch menu if you want, or go nuts and use the back buttons as mode shifts to give you a whole controller worth of emulator control keybinds. Steam comes with a bunch of icons out of the box and with those you can choose a foreground and background color. You can also add your own icons if you want, make 'em animated gifs, it's pretty nuts what you can get up to with the controller mapping. The Steam documentation site even includes an example of making nested radial menus: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/radial_menus

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

got my 512gb order 2 months ahead of the estimator date today, order was 1d20h after they opened.

what's the recommended program to test microsd to make sure they're not counterfeit?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The US 512GB queue is now apparently 52 hours in. It moved 19 hours today. It's going to start moving days at a time soon, and it may not be too long before they actually catch up.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The US 512GB queue is now apparently 52 hours in. It moved 19 hours today. It's going to start moving days at a time soon, and it may not be too long before they actually catch up.

This seems pretty fast tbh… chip shortage getting better? Or is there some other component (can’t be the screen) that was holding things up?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zenintrude posted:

This seems pretty fast tbh… chip shortage getting better? Or is there some other component (can’t be the screen) that was holding things up?
It may simply be the distribution of preorders--folks wanting to purchase the premium unit were more likely to get in during the first day.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zenintrude posted:

They doubled the units shipped per shipment in the US a month or so ago. It's not clear where that supply came from, but maybe they shifted some shipments from other regions that were ahead of schedule over to the US, and maybe they're getting a bit more chips from AMD.

The continuing acceleration of queue progress is simply because there are fewer orders per hour at this point in the queue. Everyone rushed to get their orders in during the first day. Now that that's over, the queue is far less dense. So while the queue moved twice as fast this week compared to last week in terms of order time, the total orders fulfilled is probably the same for each week.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

baram. posted:

got my 512gb order 2 months ahead of the estimator date today, order was 1d20h after they opened.

what's the recommended program to test microsd to make sure they're not counterfeit?
If you're formatting it on the Steam Deck, it does the test itself. Otherwise, h2testw

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It may simply be the distribution of preorders--folks wanting to purchase the premium unit were more likely to get in during the first day.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The continuing acceleration of queue progress is simply because there are fewer orders per hour at this point in the queue. Everyone rushed to get their orders in during the first day. Now that that's over, the queue is far less dense. So while the queue moved twice as fast this week compared to last week in terms of order time, the total orders fulfilled is probably the same for each week.

Good point… makes you wonder if Sony/MS would consider direct to consumer for their next boxes in order to avoid the nightmare this generation has been.

Who am I kidding, the next generation won’t exist outside of streaming.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Went from 46% to 73% today—I can feel it! Time to start controller practice!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Got my email today, but Steam apparently frowns on you adding hundreds of dollars in a short time period to your wallet then trying to buy a Deck so I got the lovely, hey you been buying too much stuff, try again later message. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

zenintrude posted:

Good point… makes you wonder if Sony/MS would consider direct to consumer for their next boxes in order to avoid the nightmare this generation has been.

Who am I kidding, the next generation won’t exist outside of streaming.

I think Sony has been doing periodic direct to consumer sales, it's just not very common.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i know it doesn't exist but i wish dos emulators had some sort of frame interpolation for Apogee games that run at 10fps so they can have at least slightly smoother scrolling/movement. i do not have nostalgia for that!!!

otherwise i will probably just emulate PS2 on the deck. having PS2 JRPGs in portable form, yeah. yeah yeah. i actually backed up my own games so I have Grandia III and Shadow Hearts 2 & 3 to play

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yup well... its called steam dreck for that very reason, as we all well know by now

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There is a line that can get crossed with comedy where a dumb bit slips into weird obsessive schizto posting. Pretty sure that line was crossed a while ago stux, you're barely coherent anymore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

well its like they say. its really eht true "steam dreck"

anyone say "steaming dreck" yet

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Deck's control options are amazing holy poo poo. The things you can do with the trackpads, gyro, touchscreen is blowing my mind right now.

First person shooters that are playable even without the gamepad target snapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfme9QnCd2Q

Vic fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 29, 2022

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Framboise posted:

Fair enough.

Even the Switch, though? I keep mine docked like, 24/7. I know it's not the Deck, but. D:

Ursine pretty much covered it, but yes, basically any Li-chemistry secondary cells have those charge characteristics. It's not great to have the Switch plugged in 24/7, but if you only use it in console mode then it's not a big deal in terms of battery life. It'd be nice if you could set a max charge point in software (which is possible but maddeningly, few devices implement it) but the consolation is that, it isn't too difficult to replace the battery when you decide you need to do so. (If anything the battery swelling up is more of an issue.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Atomizer posted:

Ursine pretty much covered it, but yes, basically any Li-chemistry secondary cells have those charge characteristics. It's not great to have the Switch plugged in 24/7, but if you only use it in console mode then it's not a big deal in terms of battery life. It'd be nice if you could set a max charge point in software (which is possible but maddeningly, few devices implement it) but the consolation is that, it isn't too difficult to replace the battery when you decide you need to do so. (If anything the battery swelling up is more of an issue.)

I thought the ifixit teardowns showed that battery replacement is a pita

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I thought the ifixit teardowns showed that battery replacement is a pita

"This doesn't seem so bad, what's the big pro-"

quote:

The battery is strongly adhered to the Steam Deck. The adhesive loosens with constant, steady force, and it will require repeated heating and prying cycles.

Heating a charged battery is a fire hazard. Make sure you've completely discharged your battery before starting this step.

quote:

Insert an uncut plastic card between the top edge of the battery and the frame.

Try your best not to deform the battery during this process. Soft-shell lithium-polymer batteries can leak dangerous chemicals, catch fire, or even explode if damaged.

The battery most likely won't budge at this step, but these cards will be helpful as leverage as you continue.

quote:

You'll need to repeatedly reheat the adhesive to further soften it. The adhesive is tough and it may take a few tries to get a card started under the battery.

Try your best to not overheat the battery. Keep the heat gun or hair dryer ~2 inches above the battery and constantly moving at all times—don't keep it heating one place for too long.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Battery+Replacement/149070

wtf Valve

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 29, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

it isn't too difficult to replace the battery

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ah the ol “every MacBook since 2013” issue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love a removal process that requires actions that on their own can make the battery explode in your face but when conducted simultaneously make that even more likely

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well, thats why its known so widely as "steam dreck" after all

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'd be willing to swap the sticks or something myself but I'd take it to a laptop repair place with a replacement battery if I wanted to do that.

Not that I think I couldn't, but I really couldn't be arsed.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I had installed the itch.io Linux version on the desktop and was fooling around with downloading Linux versions of games but honestly it was a pain to always be in desktop mode, and also lots of games were windows only which the client doesn’t let you install directly.

So - I followed a Reddit guide and installed the itch.io windows app instead. Now it just launches from the deck mode and the games themselves (windows versions) install and launch from there. Everything just works, in a way that is honestly unreasonable to expect.

So if you have lots of itch bundles and want an easy way to play those games on the deck without having to manually download and install them… https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vwili3/better_way_to_itchio_on_steam_deck/

Another thanks for this, got it running this morning. The only issue I have is that sometimes games will hang while installing but exiting the app and then coming back seems to clear it up. Does anyone have the link to the page that lists the games in the bundles and allows you to sort by reviews and stuff? I can’t remember if it was posted in this thread or another.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just download the windows versions of itch games and add them to steam so that they can have their own controller layout settings. you just have to make sure to select a proton version so steamOS understands it's not native

loudog999 posted:

Another thanks for this, got it running this morning. The only issue I have is that sometimes games will hang while installing but exiting the app and then coming back seems to clear it up. Does anyone have the link to the page that lists the games in the bundles and allows you to sort by reviews and stuff? I can’t remember if it was posted in this thread or another.
https://randombundlegame.com/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

i just download the windows versions of itch games and add them to steam so that they can have their own controller layout settings. you just have to make sure to select a proton version so steamOS understands it's not native

https://randombundlegame.com/

I do this to, I just find it makes the install process significantly easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

quote:

As of today we've updated the reservation windows, and everyone who's currently in the reservation queue will get their Steam Deck email this year. Many customers who were in the "Q4 or later" window have been bumped up to "Q3 (July-September)" window. And everyone else is now solidly in the "Q4 (October-December)" window.

As of this moment, new reservations will be in the Q4 bucket, but if these queues fill up it will flip over into the following quarter. To see your reservation window, visit this site while logged in.

production going very well it seems!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675200/announcements/detail/3413183219974913052