Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

St. Louis was reclaimed by Poseidon and there was scarcely a peep about it outside local news
lol this is literally the first i heard about it

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the massive redistribution of weight caused by solid icebergs turning into liquid water is causing unprecedented movements in the tectonic plates. i wonder what the removal of topsoil has done to them. when you think about that many metres deep, spread out over that much land, plus the trees etc that were growing in it, that's an unimaginable amount of weight removed and transformed into big macs

an egg has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Jul 28, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Stereotype posted:

how is this tweet six years old

Fart Dumbass posted:

what weirds me out about that tweet and a couple others is, they seem ubiquitously known, like everyone makes jokes about them, but they still only have like 26k likes. That is way, way less than I would expect it(and others) to have just based on how many memes I've seen referencing it across many years. :shrug:
fun fact, the author of this tweet worked for gawker at the time, his and all his friends livelihoods had just been destroyed by a psycho right wing billionaire and all the stupid libs were cheering it as an idpol victory

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

an egg posted:

the massive redistribution of weight caused by solid icebergs turning into liquid water is causing unprecedented movements in the tectonic plates. i wonder what the removal of topsoil has done to them. when you think about that many metres deep, spread out over that much land, plus the trees etc that were growing in it, that's an unimaginable amount of weight removed and transformed into big macs

mmmm, big macs *Homer drooling noises*

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Just sell your house if the sea is rising bing bong buy a new house so simple

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

MightyBigMinus posted:

fun fact, the author of this tweet worked for gawker at the time, his and all his friends livelihoods had just been destroyed by a psycho right wing billionaire and all the stupid libs were cheering it as an idpol victory

lol that owns

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

an egg posted:

Isostatic rebound gets me horny for a whopper.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wrap it doomfailures

https://twitter.com/JesseJenkins/status/1552439116541087745

https://twitter.com/arvindpawan1/status/1552473562178621440

https://twitter.com/AndreasenJack/status/1552483608690040833

Griz
May 21, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Wrap it doomfailures

anything good in this will be more than offset by manchin's bullshit

quote:

A proposed climate and energy package would require massive oil and gas leasing in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska, reinstate an illegal 2021 Gulf lease sale and mandate that millions more acres of public lands be offered for leasing before any new solar or wind energy projects could be built on public lands or waters.

The provisions, in sections 50264 and 50265, are buried near the end of the 725-page Inflation Reduction Act. The bill was released Wednesday after Sen. Joe Manchin and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced they had agreed to the $370 billion package.
https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/n...NQzBRQXZEX0J3RQ

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Truga posted:

having a bit of wildfire here in slovenia, and it owns because its to the soundtrack of regular blasts as unexploded buried ww1 bombs are catching fire lmfao

resurrecting this post out of appreciation

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Griz posted:

Why do you hate science? A scientist says you’re wrong.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I still can't believe they're calling it the Inflation Reduction Act

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wouldn't mind it being called the deflationary spiral act.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can someone show the math on how doubling our oil and gas lease acreage gets us 70% closer to any emissions reduction target

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Can someone show the math on how doubling our oil and gas lease acreage gets us 70% closer to any emissions reduction target

it will get us closer to the emissions reduction targets proposed in 2050 hth

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Truga posted:

having a bit of wildfire here in slovenia, and it owns because its to the soundtrack of regular blasts as unexploded buried ww1 bombs are catching fire lmfao

Tungsten posted:

lo fi blasts to sweat and swelter to

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

The Oldest Man posted:

all the oil and gas is exported to europe so it's their carbon fault not ours

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Oldest Man posted:

You see, the energy companies will use at least 60% renewable energy to assist in the extraction process (where applicable), In additional, 10% of the sales of newly opened energy reserves will be put towards carbon credits offered by reputable 501(c) organizations, like BP green, that build renewable energy projects to power fossil fuel extractions.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

it's easy

first you start with 2005 emissions, when we were going nuts and didn't give a single gently caress about reductions and were already beyond the point of no return anyway

then you add in a pointless climate agreement years later that retroactively chose those emissions as your forever target specifically because they were so high and any reductions at all look better when compared to them

then you wait another decade to the point where the climate is obviously extremely hosed and promise than in 10 more years we will be 70% of the way to the promised 40% reduction of the emission levels from 17 years ago

The key is to also completely ignore all emissions related to the oil and gas exploration. I should have probably started with that. That one is pretty important.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Well actually maybe no one will buy the leases so let’s just assume that’s 0 emissions there.

(And more seriously, I wouldn’t be shocked if they don’t count emissions from using the oil and gas only just the emissions from drilling.)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

More like biosphincter collapse

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

God Hole posted:

I think i mentioned this before but my high school's football team kept getting MRSA in their frequent turf burns from the artificial field. i'm talking at least 5-10 cases that i knew of while i was attending

That’s loving insane. I assume, after the cause was learned, the school doubled down on maintaining the turf because they were bought by the local retailer?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Starting a betting pool on what year we lose the ability to replace windmills and panels that break

Hard part is defining the various possible wes.

And then some loving nerd will come in and claim that thejr incredibly inefficient and hoc solar thermal steam engine counts as renewables because it keeps the ham radio going.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crazypoops posted:

More like biosphincter collapse

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Harold Fjord posted:

Starting a betting pool on what year we lose the ability to replace windmills and panels that break

Hard part is defining the various possible wes.

And then some loving nerd will come in and claim that thejr incredibly inefficient and hoc solar thermal steam engine counts as renewables because it keeps the ham radio going.

I’m pretty sure according to how “renewable” is defined for tax and emissions purposes a normal wood burning steam engine counts as renewable.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This seems total fine for the "omg we can totally invent our way out of it" crowd

https://twitter.com/business/status/1552700929119584256?s=20&t=EV3EY6UOeE-NMHPTqBocMg

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's ok, pretty soon we'll be dealing with much bigger problems

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"renewable" is such a great word because literally everyone immediately relates it to global warming and co2 emissions, but actually it only refers to if you can get more of it or not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

This seems total fine for the "omg we can totally invent our way out of it" crowd

https://twitter.com/business/status/1552700929119584256?s=20&t=EV3EY6UOeE-NMHPTqBocMg

China’s got a plan for that

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/14/copper-is-key-to-electric-vehicles-wind-and-solar-power-were-short-supply.html

quote:

“The energy transition is going to be dependent much more on copper than our current energy system,” Daniel Yergin, S&P Global vice chairman, told CNBC. “There’s just been the assumption that copper and other minerals will be there. ... Copper is the metal of electrification, and electrification is much of what the energy transition is all about.”

“There will be a new geopolitical order around minerals like copper,” said Yergin. He noted that the copper supply chain is much more concentrated than that of other raw materials, including oil.

“China has been more focused on creating a primary position in the supply chains for minerals that will be necessary for net-zero carbon, and copper is a prime example for what a key position they’re in. Meanwhile, U.S. copper production has gone down by almost half in the last quarter century,” he told CNBC.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

isn't the EPA going to be completely defanged in the next SCOTUS session

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tungsten posted:

:patriot:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
A 4K tax credit for a used EV would be great. I'd jump on that, I've had my 17 year old car about 5 years now

Edit: what do they go for on the low end???

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fart Dumbass posted:

what weirds me out about that tweet and a couple others is, they seem ubiquitously known, like everyone makes jokes about them, but they still only have like 26k likes. That is way, way less than I would expect it(and others) to have just based on how many memes I've seen referencing it across many years. :shrug:

That's what a popular tweet looks like without bots and paid engagement.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Griz posted:

lol thats perfect, first we drill baby drill and then eventually maybe we'll get around to doing the other stuff

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

From econ thread they're complaining their coup sourced copper is getting more expensive. There is no shortage.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

that bitcoin dude who bought 300 pounds of old pennies is chortling and rubbing his hands together rn

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pennies are mostly zinc. They're just copper plated.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Ripping the copper out of my walls to beg for more electric engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pennies are mostly zinc. They're just copper plated.

until 1982 they were mostly copper, so there are people who have been sorting their change and checking the year of each penny and hoarding them

and selling their catch to bitcoin dudes