Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Any good series about people who are married or already in longterm relationships? I absently came across a few videos of I Can't Understand Whst My Husband is Saying and I thought it was cute and refreshing. I am so sick to death of teenagers on the cusp of starting relationships since Kaguya Sama has essentially been the anime equivalent of Airplane! and flattened the competition.

Adult relationships preferred with a focus on married life or cohabitation. The next steps after you get your happy ever after MC and best girl make-it-official story. They've come of age and now they have to live like it.

Banished from the Hero's Party. Fantasy series with a protagonist who gets coaxed into leaving the what's basically an RPG protagonist's party by the rear end in a top hat Sage in the group who thinks he's smarter than them, and lives a quiet life in a country town instead. And has an old (mutual) crush track him down near-immediately and wind up moving in together. They're both quite eager and happy to be in a relationship from the get-go, with zero will-they/won't-they to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

What was that one called about the guy trying to date a flowershop widow and the ghost of her husband starts haunting the suitor.
natsuyuki rendezvous

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arc Hammer posted:

Any good series about people who are married or already in longterm relationships? I absently came across a few videos of I Can't Understand Whst My Husband is Saying and I thought it was cute and refreshing. I am so sick to death of teenagers on the cusp of starting relationships since Kaguya Sama has essentially been the anime equivalent of Airplane! and flattened the competition.

Adult relationships preferred with a focus on married life or cohabitation. The next steps after you get your happy ever after MC and best girl make-it-official story. They've come of age and now they have to live like it.

Are You Really Getting Married?, by the guy who did The World God Only Knows, is about two co-workers' sham marriage to avoid getting transferred to their company's Siberian branch.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

If fractured relationships are ok as well, Black Heaven is about a former heavy metal guitarist turned middle-aged salaryman still dreaming of his his glory days and how that clashes with his family life - especially when he gets caught up with some aliens that need to get his band back together to help them win an interstellar war.

Despite the weird sci-fi main plot a lot of the focus is on the relationship with his wife and how they've grown apart despite them still deeply caring for each other. Kickass soundtrack too!

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd say Tonikaku Kawaii if not for the fact that they have the world's greenest light to gently caress and refuse to do so out of embarrassment

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
A priest, a cleric and an Imam walk into a bar. All three of them need a drink because they don't know how the poo poo the couple in Tonikaku Kawaii still get embarrassed with the guy looking up the girl's skirt, which was a very recent manga update

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 29, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arc Hammer posted:

By GT, Goku and Chi-Chi have been married for like 20 years.

But, in all seriousness:

• Black Heaven
  • Way of the House Husband
  • The Great Passage

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, if you want relationship stuff that isn't the same will-they-or-won't-they Slice-of-Life tropes repeated forever:

• Nana
  • Paradise Kiss
  • Ore Monogatari
  • Planetes
  • Wotakoi
  • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Also, I just really like the following romances:

• Kimi ni Todoke
  • Maison Ikkoku
  • Spice & Wolf
  • Nodame Cantabile
  • Net-juu no Susume

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Or if you want a show where the “will they/won’t they” trope is done right, I recommend Lovely Complex. :v:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

Cuprum no Hanayome / Bride of Cuprum / The Artisan's Bride is a solid one, though it's only got about a dozen chapters translated so far. It starts when a couple of young adults from a small town get engaged, and focuses on the guy's trade as a traditional coppersmith, and the girl adapting to couple life and to her fiance's family as she plans for her future. It's really laid-back and the characters feel very fleshed out.

Toshimo posted:

They've never kissed on the mouth though!!! That'd be weird!!!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The bike tour chat has made me hungry for more life in the inaka shows. I'm almost done my yearly rewatch of Non Non Biyori so something new along the same lines would be nice. I've already seen Sakura Quest, which I also liked.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch the episode of Golden Boy where Kintaro outpaces a motorcycle on his bike by studying really hard.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

The bike tour chat has made me hungry for more life in the inaka shows. I'm almost done my yearly rewatch of Non Non Biyori so something new along the same lines would be nice. I've already seen Sakura Quest, which I also liked.

Hanasaku Iroha, which is basically better Sakura Quest.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AnoHito posted:

Hanasaku Iroha, which is basically better Sakura Quest.

Crap, forgot to say I saw that too, and I completely agree.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Barakamon, Silver Spoon, Flying Witch, Hanasaku Iroha, Natsume's Book of Friends

Tamayura and Kamichu aren't quite inaka but they're both in small towns on the Seto inland sea and have a similar vibe to these

if non slice of life stuff is okay, Shiki is a very good horror series about rural life

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Toshimo posted:

But, in all seriousness:

• Black Heaven
  • Way of the House Husband
  • The Great Passage

Pretty sure it's been rather longer than 20 years given that they have grandkids.

Like, 30 minimum.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gohan was born pretty much immediately after they got married and hes like 27 in super or something so hes definitely in his 30s in gt, yeah

incidentally the super broly movie comes across a lot weirder when you realize broly has to be like 50

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

gohan was born pretty much immediately after they got married and hes like 27 in super or something so hes definitely in his 30s in gt, yeah

incidentally the super broly movie comes across a lot weirder when you realize broly has to be like 50

Meh. Saiyans are like anime Klingons. They're effectively ageless except when it matters as a point of comparison.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s literally a thing that they’re ageless lol, Vegeta mentions it at the end of Z but Saiyans just finish puberty and stay that way until old age. But I think Endorph is more commenting on the premise of the movie’s narrative being kinda weird with Broly as a fifty year old man.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Last Celebration posted:

But I think Endorph is more commenting on the premise of the movie’s narrative being kinda weird with Broly as a fifty year old man.

I understand that, but my point was thinking of the situation in terms of human ageing is not reasonable because of the nature of the characters. It's like thinking the Ents conversation length was weird because Pippin didn't take time scale into account.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mostly just meant that super broly's ending plays broly as this like, wide-eyed innocent that goku and vegeta are gonna take under their wing, but theyre all the same age. ofc broly spent his entire life surviving on a hostile planet and then being his dad's weird slave so i get it, im not cinema sins'ing the movie here, its just funny that if you didnt think about the timeline of planet vegeta getting blown up you'd think of broly as decades younger than them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Broly unfortunately runs into the inherent problem of "Saiyans mostly went extinct shortly after the time Goku was born, so pure saiyans must generally be his age or older", so you'd basically have to have him from another universe in order to fix that part.

Of course that's a thing now so :shrug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

They've never kissed on the mouth though!!! That'd be weird!!!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes wonder what Gohan would have been like if a space slugdemon hadn't adopted him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eaten by a dinosaur due to parental neglect, I'd imagine.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Banished from the Hero's Party. Fantasy series with a protagonist who gets coaxed into leaving the what's basically an RPG protagonist's party by the rear end in a top hat Sage in the group who thinks he's smarter than them, and lives a quiet life in a country town instead. And has an old (mutual) crush track him down near-immediately and wind up moving in together. They're both quite eager and happy to be in a relationship from the get-go, with zero will-they/won't-they to it.

Just started watching this earlier this week: it's literally the inverse of Isekai Ojisan, but in a good way. Enjoying the premise of two people trying to lead a normal life while dealing with that events conspiring to pull them back into joining the generic-fantasy-adventure-story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So after reading a handful of chapters every night before bed(which I do not recommend...it will make you really drat hungry) I've finally caught up with Isekai Izakaya Nobu. It's wonderful, simply wonderful. Takes the Isekai premise and doesn't go insane with it, tons of wonderful characters who don't necessarily have to have their entire lives shown "on screen", it's just a fantastic series and definitely one of the "good" Isekai that avoids all the pitfalls of the genre.

Apparently there was an anime produced in 2018 that ends at chapter 37, how did that turn out? I literally had never heard of it until now, so I'm not sure if it lived up to the series since I've not seen it mentioned before. It's the sort of series I'd hope would have a solid budget to really get that food animating good stuff going.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It was a short-format anime that was paired with IRL segments that alternated between a chef showing how to prep a dish in that episode and a food critic trying the dish in a Tokyo restaurant. I thought the anime was alright, nothing insanely amazing. Did get me to buy the tankobons at least.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm looking for some anime.

I watch anime every now and then. I'm halfway through Planetes right now and I know there's really good stuff out there but anime is flooded with weird fan service poo poo (I tried to watch Bastard!! and got to episode 4 and I was done) and 90% of them involve high school in some way. I don't want any of that.

I want the cool poo poo. The good poo poo. A lefty bent would be nice too. I really like horror too.

I dunno. I just wanna watch more anime but I don't wanna waste my time, ya know?

Some poo poo I've watched in the past: Akudama Drive, Steins;Gate, Promare, OPM, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Legend of Black Heaven

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Monster. Space brothers. Attack on titan. Robotic;notes.

Robotics is high school but it’s in the same universe as steins;gate

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 5, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can probably start with the most popular Shonen / Seinen stuff and work from there.

Odd Taxi, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho, Gintama, Jo-Jo...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eat The Rich posted:

I watch anime every now and then. I'm halfway through Planetes right now and I know there's really good stuff out there but anime is flooded with weird fan service poo poo (I tried to watch Bastard!! and got to episode 4 and I was done) and 90% of them involve high school in some way. I don't want any of that.

I want the cool poo poo. The good poo poo. A lefty bent would be nice too. I really like horror too.

I dunno. I just wanna watch more anime but I don't wanna waste my time, ya know?

Some poo poo I've watched in the past: Akudama Drive, Steins;Gate, Promare, OPM, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Legend of Black Heaven

Dorohedoro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eat The Rich posted:

Black Lagoon isn't on that list, and you should rectify that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eat The Rich posted:

If you want a very good sports drama, Run With The Wind. It's about a university relay marathon team, so 90% of characters are uni students with uni student problems, and the other 10% are adults + their dog. All about working together to progress. Probably one of the best sports shows I've seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eat The Rich posted:

samurai champloo is by the same director as cowboy bebop and has a lot of stylistic similarities

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

samurai champloo is by the same director as cowboy bebop and has a lot of stylistic similarities

Meanwhile, Vinland Saga is based off a manga by the same writer as Planetes. Vikings, revenge, King Arthur... it has it all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You want a lefty bent I highly recommend checking out stuff that Mamoru Oshii has worked on, especially his 90s output.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

What a turn out. I'm definitely gonna look into all of these.

I started Odd Taxi at one point and totally forgot to finish it. Thanks :D

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eat The Rich posted:

Monster
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Concrete Revolutio

Arc Hammer posted:

You want a lefty bent I highly recommend checking out stuff that Mamoru Oshii has worked on, especially his 90s output.

Angel's Egg
Gosenzo Sama Banbanzai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eat The Rich posted:

What a turn out. I'm definitely gonna look into all of these.

I started Odd Taxi at one point and totally forgot to finish it. Thanks :D
this is a manga rather than an anime, but would you like to read about a vigilante seeking to clean up the extremely corrupt government of japan (in other words, see a bunch of super evil politicians get murdered in increasingly hilariously creative ways)? then you should try Akumetsu

https://mangadex.org/title/01c60e88-6a8d-449b-a538-f4946070b108/akumetsu

it's a fun ride like 90% of the time

edit: it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember if it has fanservice or not, I don't remember it having much if it has any at all though

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 5, 2022