Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

He's enjoying a succulent Chinese meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

The punitive damages are capped in Texas at like 750 thousand or something.

My understanding is that this is not the case in defamation, the 1 million cap is for particular (broad, common) categories of lawsuit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My understanding is that this is not the case in defamation, the 1 million cap is for particular (broad, common) categories of lawsuit.

I'm just going by what others have said in the thread, I think there is no cap on compensatory damages , but punitive damages are capped.

Not sure though.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I vaguely recall that punitive is capped at actual damages plus that, which is why they aren't allowed to tell the jury about the cap.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that per injured party?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I gotta think there's more to it. Why do a two week clown show for money Alex has in his couch cushions? He's folded when threatened before, if he just paid them $750k right off it would've been a blip of a story then vanished.

E: Not two weeks, years of this poo poo. And the lawyers talk like they're going to destroy InfoWars when they're on KF. Such a piddly amount of money doesn't make sense.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 29, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What time is court back in session?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lawlicaust posted:

Answer only the question you are asked in as few words as possible is preparing for trial 101. Answering a question that is bad for you with Yes/No or a very simple sentence is almost always better than rambling about it trying to justify it.

This is another area where the defense is really, really bad because even their rehearsed answers are too drat long. If Daria was a competent corporate representative almost all her answers would have been Yes/No/I do not know/I do not recall/Yes and (10 words or less).

Yeah a lawyer friend of mine explained it to me with a hairbrush. She said "do you see this?" And I said it's a hairbrush. She was like "no, you say 'yes', never volunteer what isn't asked."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
As far as I can tell the punitive damages cap is only for specific types of cases (mostly medical malpractice) and doesn't apply here

Edit: From here (and a bunch of other places I saw trying to figure out all mentioned in in terms of personal injury/medical malpractice as well)

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 29, 2022

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah a lawyer friend of mine explained it to me with a hairbrush. She said "do you see this?" And I said it's a hairbrush. She was like "no, you say 'yes', never volunteer what isn't asked."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkqoFI9ECc

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Usually a 1 hour lunch but they can sometimes go for 90 if they finish the day's tasks sooner than usual

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SalTheBard posted:

Past few days it has been 1:30 or so central time.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
In their opening statements, the plaintiffs asked for $150,000,000 (150 million) in total damages.

I've seen it elsewhere that the Connecticut plaintiffs -- eight groups total -- are asking for $100,000,000 each.

If these cases are capped in what they can award, then it must be an utterly insane amount.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Piell posted:

As far as I can tell the punitive damages cap is only for specific types of cases (mostly medical malpractice) and doesn't apply here

Edit: From here (and a bunch of other places I saw trying to figure out all mentioned in in terms of personal injury/medical malpractice as well)

I wonder if this has anything to do with calling them personal injury lawyers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Uh oh. Evidence is coming in that Jordan may in fact be the real monster here :

https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1553073474155020288?s=20&t=tUZa5BHQSpsDEn_lE7LeUw

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uh oh. Evidence is coming in that Jordan may in fact be the real monster here :

https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1553073474155020288?s=20&t=tUZa5BHQSpsDEn_lE7LeUw

I move to ban Jordan from this thread for bad and wrong opinions about Eggrolls.

Also false flag.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
My caesar salad has romaine lettuce in it!!! Wtf is wrong with you texas?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Learning that Alex Jones was broadcasting during the CT trial and it pissed the court off, only to see him do it again in Texas is like watching a man shove his hand into a running garbage disposal, then deciding to shove his foot in it later. It’s disturbing from a human condition perspective but also fuckin’ hilarious since the aforementioned guy is a real piece of poo poo!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Button mushrooms can get hosed. And those are probably also canned ones so double hosed

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

He can roll my mushroom in his egg roll if you know what I'm saying

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grand Fromage posted:

Button mushrooms can get hosed. And those are probably also canned ones so double hosed

Mu'er are one of the most constant ingredients in egg rolls.

Also yeah, obviously, button mushrooms suck poo poo. Because they're sad compromise mushrooms for whiney children who won't eat an actual mushroom with flavor.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dangit more expert witness

*pounding table*
I want crazies! I want crazies!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

"Your precious code isn't a law, though." What a defence.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What is this guys end game?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

teen witch posted:

What is this guys end game?

"If you _had_ hypothetically said that thing you didn't say about the plaintiff's reach being as big as or bigger than Alex Jone's reach, it'd mean Alex Jones was the one being silenced!"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Oh, you haven’t reviewed 8,000 hours of Mr. Jones’ show? Then how can you be an expert on journalism? :smug:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Also, he seems to think that "presenting alternate viewpoints" means that the journalistic code of ethics means that it's an inherent good to spout bullshit conspiracy theories.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
This is like judge sidebar 5 and I missed the first hour.

If I had any doubts about if Reynal were a true believer they're pretty much quashed

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O poo poo.

Looks like we got us a proper lawyer fight.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

i wanna marry this judge

red19fire
May 26, 2010

El Fideo posted:

Also, he seems to think that "presenting alternate viewpoints" means that the journalistic code of ethics means that it's an inherent good to spout bullshit conspiracy theories.

It’s the 99 climate change scientists vs 1 anti-climate change scientist. Gotta hear both sides.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I’m just an aw-shucks lawyer trying his first case. But isn’t it a breach of journalistic ethics *not* to spend years having cranks on Jones’ show talking about the dead child of the plaintiff being part of an elaborate false flag attack?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Okay this guy is kinda snore

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That was, uh, not a clip that was in the favour of the defence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Get back to the crazy people. I wanna hear the crazy people on the stand , not the expert journalist.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Hollismason posted:

Get back to the crazy people. I wanna hear the crazy people on the stand , not the expert journalist.

It’s this mentality that brought the world president Trump.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

That was, uh, not a clip that was in the favour of the defence.

Yea it sounded like the lawer thought that clip had Alex saying "I'm a journalist." or something close to it but it really didn't

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

is there some way we can give the judge laser eyes

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea it sounded like the lawer thought that clip had Alex saying "I'm a journalist." or something close to it but it really didn't

do you know which side is the defense?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay so it seems to me with what everyone has said that there is not in fact a cap on punitive damages or compensatory damages in this Texas case.

Xakura posted:

do you know which side is the defense?

The defense doesn't even know its the defense. How could you even tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Witness tried to avoid the defense but defense obviously blocked his way and then said something to him. Kinda looked like a dickbag move, but witness didn't seem to mind?