Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
MRRRRR REEYNAAAAAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did Reynal just gently caress up basic addition?

What part of that is surprising, does this seem like a man who can add big numbers like 10 and 15

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh poo poo Judge getting in on it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did Reynal just gently caress up basic addition?

Why would you expect him to be able to count?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mark’s poo poo eating grin keeps getting bigger. A work of art.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Holy poo poo this guy is really doubling down on his lack of understanding of how surveys work

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mr. Reynal...what are you DOING?! You are reading from evidence you yourself kept out of the trial.

I think that sums up this dude's competency. Holy gently caress.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw that website yesterday, but I could not find that in the actual statute. The texas code on the matter states:

The cap is explained here:

So you get 2x economic damages and between $200k-750k in non-economic punitive damages.

Non-economic damages are defined aa

The damages sought in this case are injury to reputation and emotional anguish. Exemplar damages will be capped at $750k.

I think I have a quibble:

Economic and Noneconomic damages are both compensatory

Exemplary damages are the only ones that are capped, I don't see any language about capping non-economic compensatory damages

quote:

(8) "Compensatory damages" means economic and noneconomic damages. The term does not include exemplary damages.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm expecting something to happen after this is over with the lawyer.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I suppose betting that members of the jury might not have a good grasp of how statistics work is probably the smartest thing the defense has done so far, because people are extremely bad at understanding stats, but hoo boy they hosed even that up because adding numbers is hard

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
heads up I am having a well deserved drink after that good lord

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope the jury for this were well chosen.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

teen witch posted:

heads up I am having a well deserved drink after that good lord

Have one for me too, please.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

goatface posted:

I hope the jury for this were well chosen.

It did sound like all of them have had increasingly fun questions for witnesses

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Who is declaring bankruptcy?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

lmao free speech systems filed for bankruptcy today?!?!

lmao lmao lmao

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
FSS declared bankruptcy, so they clearly think this trial is going well.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Mark's grin while Aldino is letting the judge know about the latest bankruptcy filing.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Free Speech Systems, one of Alex's main companies

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah so what does this mean for the judgement?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

El Fideo posted:

Mark's grin while Aldino is letting the judge know about the latest bankruptcy filing.

I'm assuming that bankruptcy isn't a "Get out of jail free" card here based on Mark's demeanor.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I did a quick google and is Alex Jones suing FSS himself in some sort of weird hosed up blatant financial dodge?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

I'm interested to know this too

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
A reminder that, much like filing a lawsuit, filing for bankruptcy is a tweet with a fee

It'll bounce off every court it hits

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Free Speech Systems. Parent company of infowars, the fish pill suppliments, etc.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Hollismason posted:

It will probably slow things down a bit but Alex's attempts at juggling financial poo poo with bankruptcy has been going about as well as all his other cases so far so ultimately shouldn't change anything

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm sure it's part of a clever well thought out foolproof scheme to avoid financial liability.

Legally water-tight, just like the previous times

*Checks Notes*

Oh.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hollismason posted:

Nothing, the trial keeps going and Alex's bankruptcy will be thrown out just like the one he tried a couple months ago

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And Free Speech Systems and Infowars and all such entities have already been declared alter egos for Alex Jones, so he is, legally speaking, suing himself.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Also filing for bankruptcy right before you get hit with legal penalties is the oldest trick in the book and no court will fall for that. Even if the bankruptcy is allowed, creditors get paid out with assets and legal judgments (iirc) are at the top of the line.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The bias that the defense attorney is trying to pretend exists the kind of stuff that’s covered in every sociology 101 course in every university in America.

‘How is it possible to know that the study was unbiased if you didn’t listen to every single phone survey in its entirety?!?’

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Devor posted:

I think I have a quibble:

Economic and Noneconomic damages are both compensatory

Exemplary damages are the only ones that are capped, I don't see any language about capping non-economic compensatory damages

Exemplary damages in Texas are based upon economic and non-economic damages both of which, yes, are compensatory. They're different types of compensatory damages. Read the code - it defines what each type of damage is. The limits on exemplar damages in texas are 2x your economic damages and between $200k-750k of your non-economic damages. 100% of the damages in this case are by code non-economic damages as stated in my post.

In other news, Jones just filed bankruptcy for FSS, LLC and is doing so to interrupt the CT trial and even though Mullet says they aren't going to remove this trial, I bet they file a notice of removal regardless.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 29, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
lmao and he did it exactly when everyone in court was about to go home for the weekend

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's interesting to see what happens once stuff ends for the day

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trying to hide some money in the legal protections concerning money allocated to compensation?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

SpaceViking posted:

Also filing for bankruptcy right before you get hit with legal penalties is the oldest trick in the book and no court will fall for that. Even if the bankruptcy is allowed, creditors get paid out with assets and legal judgments (iirc) are at the top of the line.

In this case all the "creditors" are various other companies owned by Alex Jones and his parents.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

In other news, Jones just filed bankruptcy for FSS, LLC and is doing so to interrupt the CT trial and even though Mullet says they aren't going to remove this trial, I bet they file a motion to remove regardless.

I was only half listening but didn't the Judge basically say "Lol, I was half expecting this, and I've already decided the trial would go ahead regardless".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's interesting to see what happens once stuff ends for the day

Yeah I kinda like this endearing chit chat about absolutely nothing. Just watching them talk about contacts

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hungry Computer posted:

In this case all the "creditors" are various other companies owned by Alex Jones and his parents.

Those will all get pierced easily. Corporate law 101. And even if one of them doesn’t, it will get put as a secondary creditor to the judgments. Unless you have true legitimate financing like a mortgage, you are gonna get pushed down the creditor line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think he’s trying one last ditch effort to sever his personal liability from the company’s.

Much like the way this single-owner LLC filing I submitted last week will ensure I won’t go to prison, since I bought these speedboats and cocaine with a company credit card.