Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Then open we stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think by the end of the next week I'm gonna be posting this again.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 30, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Judge set hearing on motion to lift stay at 8:30 Monday morning. I'm gonna tune in and see what he has to say about things generally, but he should lift the stay and let the trial resume Monday at 9. If he doesn't, well, things are going to get really interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Froghammer posted:

A reminder that, much like filing a lawsuit, filing for bankruptcy is a tweet with a fee

It'll bounce off every court it hits

that is an excellent line and I will be stealing it

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Law and Crime recording of today is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpT2hHgbg8s

e: Go to 2:35:45 for the "Well you hate Alex Jones don't you?" bit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait them filing bankruptcy can stop this trial?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Wait them filing bankruptcy can stop this trial?

Technically it already has. The filing of bankruptcy comes with an automatic stay on any pending litigation in state or federal courts. All Jones has to do is file a "Notice of Removal" to the court and they are literally stripped of authority to do anything.

Jones, in an attempt to keep his bankruptcy from being tossed immediately as bad faith, filed an emergency motion so that this stay is lifted and this trial will not be interrupted. He did not do the same in CT because he wants to interrupt that trial. In TX his damages are capped at $150,750,000 since the jury is just going to give plaintiffs what they asked and punitive damages will be capped as a matter of law to $750k.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How is Jones hiding his assets anyway I don't understand that part? Like is he just transferring money to himself and saying the company is broke?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

How is Jones hiding his assets anyway I don't understand that part? Like is he just transferring money to himself and saying the company is broke?

Yes. Here's the complaint from the TUFTA case that lays out what they knew of his finances earlier this year:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/alex-jones-tufta.pdf

Also, note that Alex Jones has not once filed bankruptcy - he has just used otherwise empty shell LLCs instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. Here's the complaint from the TUFTA case that lays out what they knew of his finances earlier this year:

Also, note that Alex Jones has not once filed bankruptcy - he has just used otherwise empty shell LLCs instead.

Okay so what is happening with this specific case? Did they win and prove that it was fraudelent transfers?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that is an excellent line and I will be stealing it
I can't take credit for it, the original line was something along the lines of "a lawsuit is a tweet with a filing fee"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Looking back at the recording and lol defense lawyer is so smug when he thinks he's got a real gotcha with "oh so the Republican Party has been a white power party since the 60's? I guess you think Dwight Eisenhower was a white power nationalist?"

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

BigglesSWE posted:

Looking back at the recording and lol defense lawyer is so smug when he thinks he's got a real gotcha with "oh so the Republican Party has been a white power party since the 60's? I guess you think Dwight Eisenhower was a white power nationalist?"

1:58:10 is a definite lol

"Before this case you were familiar with Mr. Jones and Infowars?"

"Yes, it's impossible to research disinformation on the internet and not encounter Mr Jones's work."

"You honor I object."

"Overruled."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Okay so what is happening with this specific case? Did they win and prove that it was fraudelent transfers?

So far in this case it seems like Jones has filed his answer and that's it. I can't view the case docs specifically and am not familiar enough with TUFTA to give much details on it at the moment. I believe they'll enter into discovery now, but I'm sure there are TUFTA specific discovery restrictions and such.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mr. Nice! posted:

So far in this case it seems like Jones has filed his answer and that's it. I can't view the case docs specifically and am not familiar enough with TUFTA to give much details on it at the moment. I believe they'll enter into discovery now, but I'm sure there are TUFTA specific discovery restrictions and such.

Yeah well that'll be the rub won't it? If that Tufta case goes to the plaintiff then Alex Jones is turbofucked.

Also why are they not suing Alex Jones personally?

Like why isn't his financial rear end on the line here and its just his corporations?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah well that'll be the rub won't it? If that Tufta case goes to the plaintiff then Alex Jones is turbofucked.

Also why are they not suing Alex Jones personally?

Like why isn't his financial rear end on the line here and its just his corporations?

Alex is being sued personally in all of the cases. In the Texas case the Court has expressly ruled that the LLCs are just alter egos. The CT has not yet made that ruling and would have done so next Tuesday, but they're about to be blocked by the bankruptcy stay.

e: also, plaintiffs should win the TUFTA case and Jones should lose - it's just going to be more work to get it done.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Watching bits of the hearings from youtube clips with comments is real depressing, pretty much everyone there are team InfoWars and is chomping at the bit to rip apart anyone daring to question Alex.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Watching bits of the hearings from youtube clips with comments is real depressing, pretty much everyone there are team InfoWars and is chomping at the bit to rip apart anyone daring to question Alex.

They're going to be mighty upset next week. :imunfunny:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

They're going to be mighty upset next week. :imunfunny:

God I really, truly, deeply, hope so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BigglesSWE posted:

Sure, but at least there's a lot of push back and dunking on the loons too.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Rinkles posted:

Sure, but at least there's a lot of push back and dunking on the loons too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

These people are beyond hope

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Free Speech Systems filed bankruptcy in the SD Texas today. That creates an automatic stay by statute of any pending litigation including the current jury trial and the jury trial about to begin in CT. FSS, in good faith, filed an emergency motion to lift the stay with regard to the TX case (the trial we're watching now) but not the CT case.

This means at some point later today or over the weekend Jones will file a notice of removal to the CT court, stripping it again of jurisdiction, and sending them back to the SD of TX. That trial will be kicked down the road months because of this unless the stay is lifted.

The emergency motion should be granted, but as of right now technically Judge Gamble has been stripped of jurisdiction and the trial should not technically resume until the federal judge lifts the stay. Jones asked for it to be done by 8:30 Monday morning. I'll keep my eye on the docket and update. Here it is on courtlistener for those interested: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64712088/free-speech-systems-llc/

The CT attorneys, plaintiffs, and judge are gonna be pisssssssed. I think this will be the fourth bad faith removal to federal court for them.

Jones is doing this because he thinks he can shift all the blame onto FSS and indemnify himself from liability. His bankruptcy petitions are basically the same as last time except FSS is taking the place of the previous empty shells including it's massive $50m debt to Jones via PQPR. Hopefully the judge sees this as a bad faith filing, lifts the stay, dismisses the bankruptcy, and bans jones from refiling.

Can you get banned from filing bankruptcy sort of like a vexatious litigant?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Azuth0667 posted:

Can you get banned from filing bankruptcy sort of like a vexatious litigant?

Yes! The judge can dismiss the current bankruptcy as a bad faith filing (it is) and ban Jones from filing again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mr. Nice! posted:

As I understand it these trials have done wonders for people’s understanding of how Jones’s companies are structured; until now nobody quite had a map of the weird web of shell and holding companies he’d set up to obfuscate things, but him trying to claim that he and his public-facing companies are worth almost nothing has invited people to poke around and find out which alphabet-soup holding companies created by him and his family members actually own all the assets and “rent” them to Infowars.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

spinst posted:

this witness rules

"Twitter is where, if the court will excuse my language, people go to shitpost"

Things I never thought I'd hear in a court of law.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah, but keep in mind that this is self-selecting group of "people who believe that posting youtube comments is literally warfare and their lives depend on it".

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Is there a recording of the hearing today? It looks like the Youtube channel isn't hosting them any more?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Rinkles posted:

These people are beyond hope

As someone who lives in the same county as Newtown it amazes me these dumb pieces of poo poo don't think that an incident like this didn't like, y'know, leave a tangible imprint on countless lives and communities. As if it's all in some secret remote mountain village and not located in a major chunk of the NYC metropolitan area.

I hate them so so so so loving much.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Technically it already has. The filing of bankruptcy comes with an automatic stay on any pending litigation in state or federal courts. All Jones has to do is file a "Notice of Removal" to the court and they are literally stripped of authority to do anything.

Jones, in an attempt to keep his bankruptcy from being tossed immediately as bad faith, filed an emergency motion so that this stay is lifted and this trial will not be interrupted. He did not do the same in CT because he wants to interrupt that trial. In TX his damages are capped at $150,750,000 since the jury is just going to give plaintiffs what they asked and punitive damages will be capped as a matter of law to $750k.

Just a clarification question if you don't mind since you're smarter than me :

There's the 150$ million that the plaintiffs have requested, then the concept of punitive damages floating around with its own 750,000$ max? (Still curious what Abbott's obviously lovely and, I assume, false reason for doing this is according to his own right wing fiction, but setting that aside.)

So I understand that the jury has to be kept uninformed about this cap so they can't just shift the money around* and give the plaintiffs 11-ty billion$ instead of 150,000,000$... but what if they just decided to do it on their own? Like next week the jury foreman, completely independently, manages to get everyone on board with "gently caress Alex, Shitball McMullet made us watch so much of his show, he's gonna pay!" and they spend jury deliberations collaborating on just writing more 0s on the end of the amount due. There's obviously some maximum just cause there's a non infinite amount of money in the world, but I'm assuming there's another thing before that.

*This actually raises a bunch of questions too if you happen to have any answers to that as well. Like, sure the court can't tell them, but what happens in 10 years when this might not be common knowledge but isn't obscure anymore. Or like, what if I pay to have it sky-written above the courthouse as the jury is leaving for the day next Monday? Would Texas even try to do something to me over here in New York?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there a recording of the hearing today? It looks like the Youtube channel isn't hosting them any more?

The judge doesn't want them recorded officially, live stream only.

You would have to find a less than legal recording to watch it now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zil posted:

Anyone want to make a friendly wager about whether or not this is going to turn into evidence of a conspiracy theory and Alex is gonna be wearing a barrel and shouting about how the judge filled the courtroom with trendy, demon-feasting democrats having an orgy?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Zil posted:

Did you miss this?

Scam Likely posted:

Law and Crime recording of today is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpT2hHgbg8s

e: Go to 2:35:45 for the "Well you hate Alex Jones don't you?" bit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyone want to make a friendly wager about whether or not this is going to turn into evidence of a conspiracy theory and Alex is gonna be wearing a barrel and shouting about how the judge filled the courtroom with trendy, demon-feasting democrats having an orgy?

Alex will absolutely claim he kept leaving the court due to a fear of his life, absolutely.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Did you miss this?

I did. As far as I was aware the judge didn't want it recorded at all. Maybe it was just official recordings she didn't want and doesn't care about private recordings? :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zil posted:

I did. As far as I was aware the judge didn't want it recorded at all. Maybe it was just official recordings she didn't want and doesn't care about private recordings? :shrug:

She said no recording without written permission of the court. Since that channel apparently has their own camera I assume they got permission.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

She said no recording without written permission of the court. Since that channel apparently has their own camera I assume they got permission.

Ah, did not know that little detail.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Just wish they had better audio.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Judges sure do love clownshow vexatious litigants and they absolutely love having their authority challenged. This should go over very well for Mr. Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think by the end of the next week I'm gonna be posting this again.

loving Lol. Jones deserves no better than this poo poo show.