Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Mine would have probably been early to mid 90s

iirc the games tried to have a futuristic feel. Like edgy American Gladiators (when he defeats a guy iirc he uses a key device on a podium to....stop a collar bomb or something to that effect?)

setting was very contempo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
That got me thinking of a movie I've seen but the only title part I could remember was "Ring" with that hazy dtv cinematography and some strobing red and blue lights

Maybe Ring of Fire with Don the Dragon Wilson?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZuUCRK9DI
Or the sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvC8WROTP7k
Holy crap the sequel's trailer is 90s video perfection

Maria Ford would likely have been the woman he has sex with on a couch if it was either of them.

Or any of these:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101475/?ref_=adv_li_tt
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112967/?ref_=adv_li_tt
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112529/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 25, 2022

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Custard Undies posted:

I remember an underground bare knuckle boxing movie around that time. I remember the big boss guy ends up fighting the protagonist at the end, and during the fight he takes some punches to the top kf the head and groats that the top of the skull is the hardest part of the head.

No idea if it's what you are thinking of, but that's what popped into my head. No idea what it was called though.

It's called Gladiator:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104346/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan Smithee posted:

Mine would have probably been early to mid 90s

iirc the games tried to have a futuristic feel. Like edgy American Gladiators (when he defeats a guy iirc he uses a key device on a podium to....stop a collar bomb or something to that effect?)

setting was very contempo

I swear you’re trolling this thread sometimes.

The Running Man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebso2oA-N9g

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I swear you’re trolling this thread sometimes.

The Running Man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebso2oA-N9g

are you

NO it was not the Running Man

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah everyone remembers Running Man where the Jewish guy died

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, unfortunately I don't have Hulu, as I'm in :canada: but I'm sure I can find a way to watch these 3.

Most thing that are on Hulu in the US, are on Disney Plus in places that don't have Hulu. Looks like BTiLC definitely is, in Canada.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I found my tournament fighter movie, it's Ring of Steel (1994), but it's actually about illegal underground sword fighting. No garters in the sex scene tho, but it's def the right movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

I found my tournament fighter movie, it's Ring of Steel (1994), but it's actually about illegal underground sword fighting. No garters in the sex scene tho, but it's def the right movie.

Joe Don Baker is the headliner lol

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Alan Smithee posted:

Joe Don Baker is the headliner lol

He's the big bad guy running the tournament. He wears a hat and cape and threatens street thugs with a rapier.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Fight club, 1994 style, complete with chunky LARPer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ40hMno1bk&t=1842s

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this is more of a "identify an internet meme for me" question, but it's related to a documentary/video series

I'm looking for an old YouTube (or possibly pre-YouTube) video from the early-mid aughts era. The footage itself is presumably from an interview or documentary of a semi-famous rock/metal musician (can't remember who) giving an overview of his sound equipment to the viewer. he's gesturing at knobs and levers on amps and mixers and explaining how he uses them, what they do, that kind of thing. except someone dubbed over the video with jokes based on the idea that this musician was Literally God. So e.g. the musician would point to some dials, and the dubber would say something in a silly bored old rocker voice like, "uhhh let's see, this over here is how many people die every day, this controls the temperature of the Earth—been playing with that recently—and every time I press this button, a star explodes, so, you know, pretty standard set up..."

it's from my childhood so it's probably pretty cringe by today's standards, but I'm still interested in finding the video or the original footage it was based on

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sounds like the original would be from "This is Spinal Tap"

No idea on the version you mentioned though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kalel posted:

this is more of a "identify an internet meme for me" question, but it's related to a documentary/video series

I'm looking for an old YouTube (or possibly pre-YouTube) video from the early-mid aughts era. The footage itself is presumably from an interview or documentary of a semi-famous rock/metal musician (can't remember who) giving an overview of his sound equipment to the viewer. he's gesturing at knobs and levers on amps and mixers and explaining how he uses them, what they do, that kind of thing. except someone dubbed over the video with jokes based on the idea that this musician was Literally God. So e.g. the musician would point to some dials, and the dubber would say something in a silly bored old rocker voice like, "uhhh let's see, this over here is how many people die every day, this controls the temperature of the Earth—been playing with that recently—and every time I press this button, a star explodes, so, you know, pretty standard set up..."

it's from my childhood so it's probably pretty cringe by today's standards, but I'm still interested in finding the video or the original footage it was based on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSV4OteqBE

that's what Custard is referring to

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I distinctly remember a scene that shows the reprisals against the SS camp guards at Dachau. The US troops take the guards, like them up against a wall in a coal yard, and start shooting them because "they're trying to escape." The scene leaves it somewhat ambiguous as to whether the execution was a deliberate action or just one guy screwing up and firing for no good reason whereupon others start shooting as well until the guards are dead.

I believe it's a fairly recent film, not something decades old, and honestly it might have been in a miniseries as well. It's not Shutter Island, and it's not animated. Any ideas?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do the inmates take part?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Okay, this is kind of a Hail Mary but it has been bothering me for a while. I remember a billion years ago when I was a kid in the '80s and '90s that there was an animated movie on Nickelodeon. I'm 90% sure it's an anime. I think it was two movies about the same character-which was a small flying puppet/homonculus fighting things in a fantasy setting. I remember it flying around, dodging bolts of fire. It almost looked like a small house if I recall correctly, with round black eyes and a cylindrical-like nose. I've tried scouring the Internet for what it was, looking up the different animated films that aired on Nickelodeon during that time, looking up different '80s and '90s dubbed fantasy anime, and nothing.

Does that sound remotely familiar to anyone? Or is this just another sign that I'm going insane?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chairchucker posted:

Most thing that are on Hulu in the US, are on Disney Plus in places that don't have Hulu. Looks like BTiLC definitely is, in Canada.

Yeah I watched most of it last night. Movie is totally bonkers. I love it. It feels like an adult Goonies.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 29, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Okay, this is kind of a Hail Mary but it has been bothering me for a while. I remember a billion years ago when I was a kid in the '80s and '90s that there was an animated movie on Nickelodeon. I'm 90% sure it's an anime. I think it was two movies about the same character-which was a small flying puppet/homonculus fighting things in a fantasy setting. I remember it flying around, dodging bolts of fire. It almost looked like a small house if I recall correctly, with round black eyes and a cylindrical-like nose. I've tried scouring the Internet for what it was, looking up the different animated films that aired on Nickelodeon during that time, looking up different '80s and '90s dubbed fantasy anime, and nothing.

Does that sound remotely familiar to anyone? Or is this just another sign that I'm going insane?

Special Delivery was a weekend show on Nickelodeon that had a lot of anime/French anime co-production movies and short series. You might see if you can find a list of everything they ran.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Bogus Adventure posted:

This sounds a little like the Unico movies. Unico in the Island of Magic aired on the Disney Channel in the late 80s and has come up in this thread a few times.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Special Delivery was a weekend show on Nickelodeon that had a lot of anime/French anime co-production movies and short series. You might see if you can find a list of everything they ran.

Origami Dali posted:

This sounds a little like the Unico movies. Unico in the Island of Magic aired on the Disney Channel in the late 80s and has come up in this thread a few times.

Thank you both! These are the best leads I've had in a while. I'm not sure if it is Unico, but some of the scenes do look familiar. I might be conflating it with another movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Origami Dali posted:

Oh my gosh, were right! Thank you so much! I found them online and started skipping about, and these are exactly what I saw. Also, they are an awful lot darker than I remember (especially for a movie about a unicorn whose power is supposed to be friendship).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

kalel posted:

It's this Yngwie Malmsteen parody (or one similar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZcC0J2hNzs

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Buddy cop type movie maybe a pilot not picked up into TV movie.

Author of PI crime thrillers has to solve a crime and his imaginary protagonist helps. Only he retired the character who argues about how useful he is.

Scene I remember is he tells the author to rip a $20 in half and promise the informant the other half for the info. And the author replies that the new replacement character only carries traveler checks.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

codyclarke posted:

It's this Yngwie Malmsteen parody (or one similar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZcC0J2hNzs

yeah it's definitely related to this. it's in the same family of videos, I do remember this specific one but the one I distinctly remember is him going over an amp or something. Tyvm

E: found it. apparently the video series is called "psycho exercises," the specific video I'm thinking of was making fun of John Petrucci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sej4qZ6-Fs

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 30, 2022

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

kalel posted:

yeah it's definitely related to this. it's in the same family of videos, I do remember this specific one but the one I distinctly remember is him going over an amp or something. Tyvm

E: found it. apparently the video series is called "psycho exercises," the specific video I'm thinking of was making fun of John Petrucci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sej4qZ6-Fs

This is bringing back memories for me too! Forgot about the Petrucci ones.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Phanatic posted:

I distinctly remember a scene that shows the reprisals against the SS camp guards at Dachau. The US troops take the guards, like them up against a wall in a coal yard, and start shooting them because "they're trying to escape." The scene leaves it somewhat ambiguous as to whether the execution was a deliberate action or just one guy screwing up and firing for no good reason whereupon others start shooting as well until the guards are dead.

I believe it's a fairly recent film, not something decades old, and honestly it might have been in a miniseries as well. It's not Shutter Island, and it's not animated. Any ideas?

I recognise this, but I just cannot think of what it is from.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think Come and See has a scene where they are considering killing soldiers or guards and one guy just goes ahead and does it and everyone joins in, but that wasn't made recently.
I could be wrong even about this scene, such a long time since I saw it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

happyhippy posted:

I think Come and See has a scene where they are considering killing soldiers or guards and one guy just goes ahead and does it and everyone joins in, but that wasn't made recently.
I could be wrong even about this scene, such a long time since I saw it.

The whole thing is up on Youtube, that scene starts at pretty much exactly 2 hrs in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYOg4ORc1w&t=7200s

:nms: warning: realistic depictions + actual documentary footage of liberated WW2 death camps

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 30, 2022

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I think Come and See is probably the most effective antiwar film I've ever seen. It's great, but goddamn is it hard to watch and utterly depressing, as any film about that particular subject should be.

soylent_green
Nov 6, 2004

We're not going to Guam, are we?
Looking for an old black and white film that I believe was broadcast on "Horror Incorporated" in the Twin Cities in the mid to late 70's. The only scene I can remember is in the basement, or dungeon, of a castle. The camera is watching a character who is lurking around the stone support posts, watching a woman in an old-style bathtub (think brass or half barrel) who is either washing or shaving her legs. The creepy voyeur moves silently around (and the camera follows), watching her.

That's all I can remember. Anybody got any ideas?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

soylent_green posted:

Looking for an old black and white film that I believe was broadcast on "Horror Incorporated" in the Twin Cities in the mid to late 70's. The only scene I can remember is in the basement, or dungeon, of a castle. The camera is watching a character who is lurking around the stone support posts, watching a woman in an old-style bathtub (think brass or half barrel) who is either washing or shaving her legs. The creepy voyeur moves silently around (and the camera follows), watching her.

That's all I can remember. Anybody got any ideas?

Well, the first thing that came to mind is Sharon Tate spending a lot of time in various bathtubs in The Fearless Vampire Killers, but that's not in black and white and probably too easy, right?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
A character is carefully holding, looking over something expensive, then just casually tosses it behind them

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Andorra posted:

A character is carefully holding, looking over something expensive, then just casually tosses it behind them

Star Wars, Episode 8, Luke Skywalker looking at his old saber, and then tossing it over his shoulder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8oqQcjsxM&t=23s

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Sorry to be a smartass, but past you from an earlier "Identify a Movie" thread might be able to help with that:

Andorra posted:

That made me think about Jack Sparrow, and I managed to find this clip (at the very beginning of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8M7HopGZX4

And this also might be what I was thinking of! Either way, I'm satisfied. Thanks, everyone!

That "also" is referencing a quoted post of mine that won't embed here, suggesting Weird Al in UHF's opening Indiana Jones parody sequence. Discussion started here if you want to review all the replies.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Crackmaster posted:

Sorry to be a smartass, but past you from an earlier "Identify a Movie" thread might be able to help with that:

That "also" is referencing a quoted post of mine that won't embed here, suggesting Weird Al in UHF's opening Indiana Jones parody sequence. Discussion started here if you want to review all the replies.

lol ok then, I guess I both really like that scene and have a bad memory

I'll be sure to ask again in 5 years

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

perhaps will turner and elizabeth can be together again then

soylent_green
Nov 6, 2004

We're not going to Guam, are we?

Hannibal Rex posted:

Well, the first thing that came to mind is Sharon Tate spending a lot of time in various bathtubs in The Fearless Vampire Killers, but that's not in black and white and probably too easy, right?

Thanks, but it was definitely black and white, and I feel like it was a 30s-40s movie so too early for her. Thanks though!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The theme song for "The Terminal List" immediately reminded me of some other TV series theme song that I thought "oh, that sounds like...." and then froze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_gj7Z2vAA

Any thoughts? Feels like it would have been a series from the last 10 years and I'm likely to kick myself when someone tells me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ape Agitator posted:

The theme song for "The Terminal List" immediately reminded me of some other TV series theme song that I thought "oh, that sounds like...." and then froze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_gj7Z2vAA

Any thoughts? Feels like it would have been a series from the last 10 years and I'm likely to kick myself when someone tells me.

Almost feels like a cross between Something in the Way and the Doctor Who theme

E: no wait, Doom Patrol!

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 12, 2022