Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Zeriel posted:

i hope he gets long covid and has to resign. nothing would be funnier.

How could anyone even tell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnHicRgcL4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gradually

and then suddenly
The undersea earthquake was in May. Now the tide has rushed out and there’s no high ground.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Anyone got a monkeypox vaccine yet? Calling health departments locally, and Im not gay, so even though I have an auto-immune disorder, they wont give it to me.

I may come down with a case of gayness soon.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Sorry for an E/Nish type post. I've been in a state of quiet terror about Monkeypox all morning, and my wife just hit me with that she can't take these levels of precaution much longer at all and if she has to leave and find an apartment of her own (during two pandemics, with only one job and one 17+ year old car between the two of us) she's seriously prepared to and it's no longer a thought exercise prompted by our old couples therapist. She said she loves me so much, I'm her soulmate, she'd waited her whole life to find me, but she can't live like this anymore and wants to start taking on more risk to get a semblance of her life back. I know she'd wear an N95 and maybe even the respirator and would never eat inside a restaurant, but she won't define what those risks are and says she doesn't even know. And now with Monkeypox it's feeling like a borderline suicidal act. And she has eczema.

I don't know what to do. She's severely depressed and not listening to reason. Long COVID in any form and/or 3 weeks of excruciating pain followed by possible blindness aren't going to make things any better than they are now. I've been trying to make things happier in here, and I've been going on walks with her and offered to start going for drives to new places (which is very close to what her life was before the pandemic - we lived a very simple, quiet life), but it's not enough. Her friends have basically forgotten about her / abandoned her because she chose to stay safe and is therefore a reminder that eating out is not safe, and the few that she talks to regularly have been pushing her HARD to take on more risk despite repeatedly getting COVID themselves. Over time I've become the symbol of "can't do that" because I have the time and energy to follow this stuff really closely, to the point where she's forgotten that it was her call to isolate in the first place in March 2020.

A week ago she was yelling at her friends and family that she doesn't want COVID or Monkeypox and that while they're free to do whatever they want, she's not willing to get infected.

Everything is falling apart. Sorry. Just venting to the only people who might understand and not just tell me to live my life.

I have told you before, this thread is bad for you. You know what you need to do. Unemployed with no partner in capitalism is far more deadly and damaging to your future than GETTING covid & monkeypox simultaneously. And your wife still wants to be careful.

Thread regulars have given you advice as long as I can remember that you need to let up. You are not balancing your risks in a wholistic way, and your poor wife is taking the entirety of the financial burden and also clearly has some, very reasonable, expectations for life. For gods sake she wanted to hike OUTSIDE and you were freaking out about the slight possibility of car trouble on the way there!

Please, start a meditation routine and stop reading pandemic news. You know the facts. They aren't changing. You need to change your own mindset and increase your zen, before you lose a lot more than you'd lose from an average covid case.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

anyone wanna see permanent penis damage from monkeypox?

well too bad

Well that was awful.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bad boys for life posted:

Anyone got a monkeypox vaccine yet? Calling health departments locally, and Im not gay, so even though I have an auto-immune disorder, they wont give it to me.

I may come down with a case of gayness soon.

your ARE gay

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

speng31b posted:

your ARE gay

thank you, ill update my paperwork

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Sorry for an E/Nish type post. I've been in a state of quiet terror about Monkeypox all morning, and my wife just hit me with that she can't take these levels of precaution much longer at all and if she has to leave and find an apartment of her own (during two pandemics, with only one job and one 17+ year old car between the two of us) she's seriously prepared to and it's no longer a thought exercise prompted by our old couples therapist. She said she loves me so much, I'm her soulmate, she'd waited her whole life to find me, but she can't live like this anymore and wants to start taking on more risk to get a semblance of her life back. I know she'd wear an N95 and maybe even the respirator and would never eat inside a restaurant, but she won't define what those risks are and says she doesn't even know. And now with Monkeypox it's feeling like a borderline suicidal act. And she has eczema.

I don't know what to do. She's severely depressed and not listening to reason. Long COVID in any form and/or 3 weeks of excruciating pain followed by possible blindness aren't going to make things any better than they are now. I've been trying to make things happier in here, and I've been going on walks with her and offered to start going for drives to new places (which is very close to what her life was before the pandemic - we lived a very simple, quiet life), but it's not enough. Her friends have basically forgotten about her / abandoned her because she chose to stay safe and is therefore a reminder that eating out is not safe, and the few that she talks to regularly have been pushing her HARD to take on more risk despite repeatedly getting COVID themselves. Over time I've become the symbol of "can't do that" because I have the time and energy to follow this stuff really closely, to the point where she's forgotten that it was her call to isolate in the first place in March 2020.

A week ago she was yelling at her friends and family that she doesn't want COVID or Monkeypox and that while they're free to do whatever they want, she's not willing to get infected.

Everything is falling apart. Sorry. Just venting to the only people who might understand and not just tell me to live my life.

You've developed an obsessive compulsion disorder and/or some other type of psychiatric illness because of your pandemic fears and it has taken complete control of your life and those around you. You are rapidly spiraling out of control and off the rails. You need to seek professional medical help because this is incredibly destructive and unhealthy behavior. You are about to throw out your loving marriage because you are freaking out about loving monkeypox which, criminally negligent handling of covid by government aside, is no greater a threat to you right now than any of the thousands of infectious diseases out there. You've gone so far down the iceberg into the echo chambers you've red pilled yourself into thinking Hillary and soros are running a pedophile cabal that trump is fighting in-between rounds of golf and also infectious disease is going to kill you the second you breath air with co2 concentration above 100ppm.

This isn't a gimmick post you need to legit see a mental health professional. The respirators and bleaching your pizza boxes was all fun and games but the reality is that this is an unsustainable anxiety and you cannot live like this. This is what killed Howard Hughes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wasn't some dumbass chud on TV talking about how paxlovid rebounds were like 1% of cases just last week?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sorry for an E/Nish type post.

Sorry to hear, goon. These are really tough times. I hope y’all can figure something out. :glomp:

Edit: I agree with the advice you’ve received so far.

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Jul 30, 2022

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

fosborb posted:

entire thread, in unison: loving called it lol

I was a day off, thought it'd be Friday.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Wasn't some dumbass chud on TV talking about how paxlovid rebounds were like 1% of cases just last week?

Folks, it’s rare. Not many folks going to get this, Jack.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

every day is funny as gently caress

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

I am not an expert, but if she's severely depressed because of the precautions you're taking, I dunno that doesn't seem healthy. Maybe there are opportunities to meet her friends outdoors, like hiking and stuff or just hanging out at a park. I am not saying go full OPEN BIDEN but you're going to have to figure something out if you love this person.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

yeah:

bad boys for life posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/27/as-more-people-report-covid-rebounds-after-paxlovid-experts-insist-cases-are-rare.html

Guys dont panic, this never happens, listen to Fauci!

quote:

When you look at the studies, it generally does not occur very often,” Fauci, who directs the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and is President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser, said Tuesday on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” But he noted that there have been “anecdotal cases” that suggest rebounds are more common now than they were in clinical trials.

Biden is obviously an anecdotal case.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Asproigerosis posted:

You've developed an obsessive compulsion disorder and/or some other type of psychiatric illness because of your pandemic fears and it has taken complete control of your life and those around you. You are rapidly spiraling out of control and off the rails. You need to seek professional medical help because this is incredibly destructive and unhealthy behavior. You are about to throw out your loving marriage because you are freaking out about loving monkeypox which, criminally negligent handling of covid by government aside, is no greater a threat to you right now than any of the thousands of infectious diseases out there. You've gone so far down the iceberg into the echo chambers you've red pilled yourself into thinking Hillary and soros are running a pedophile cabal that trump is fighting in-between rounds of golf and also infectious disease is going to kill you the second you breath air with co2 concentration above 100ppm.

This isn't a gimmick post you need to legit see a mental health professional. The respirators and bleaching your pizza boxes was all fun and games but the reality is that this is an unsustainable anxiety and you cannot live like this. This is what killed Howard Hughes.

read this post 100 times

long Covid might ruin your life, but your obsession will definitely ruin it.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Angryhead posted:

lol this sucks. gently caress

not to discount the possibility that fomite transmission is a big concern, but the guy doesn’t say anything about wearing a mask, and also says he shook the other guy’s hand (which had sores on it maybe? he says the guy he got the scooter from said he had sores but doesn’t say exactly where), so

I read Spanish, but here’s a translation from Google for those who don’t. mostly accurate except for the obvious small glitches here and there

the last sentence should be “we agreed to meet to check on its status”

the first one should say “I got in touch with a doctor friend” instead of “contact with a medical friend,” and “boy” should be “guy”

so I’m not 100% convinced it was from the scooter handlebars at this point, especially given that the guy who tested positive immediately thought of covid, which tells me he probably wasn’t masking seriously

Jigsaw has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Jul 30, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Capitalism has built the perfect brain-breaking machine and my heart goes out to those who are suffering the predictable result, but yeah please open biden before becoming howard hughes. No easy answers but getting on the spreadsheet isn't a pancea.

Play some disc golf every week that's what I do, it's pretty fun.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
had an incident at my apartment on sunday where someone was shooting off fireworks directly outside my window(literally 10 feet outside of it) and I went outside to yell at them to knock it the gently caress off. they got super aggro and got in my face waving their hands and threatening to attack my wife and I and as it was happening all I could think was 'this guy is too close and drunk and yelling in my face and neither of us are masked.' well, I have a sore throat today and my wife feels sick. god loving damnit dude

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Speaking of infected politicians, Herman Cain died with covid two years ago today.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

alarumklok posted:

every day is funny as gently caress

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Koirhor posted:

also walked out of the walgreens vax booth and scared the poo poo out of some boomer who gasped and stepped back 5 feet, thats right bitch

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Zeriel posted:

i hope he gets long covid and has to resign. nothing would be funnier.

gently caress that. i hope he gets long covid and his ego prevents him from resigning and he has to go through the motions of being potus for the next 2 years coughing like general grievous every time he tries to tell a racist story or ride a bike or climb stairs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Capitalism has built the perfect brain-breaking machine

capitalism is really poppin off today ladies

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Jul 30, 2022

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Alternatively, you can be lucky like me and have schizoid personality disorder where you feel most comfortable being alone and without emotional attachments.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Tomorrow is Sunday -- WIAST might consider doing the emotional work of planning a drive to a lovely hike area.

From past posting, I know this was one of his wife's requests, and while he's stated he'd be open to doing it, it doesn't sound like they actually have? And if his wife is depressed (who wouldn't be -- this level of sustained terror will cause a lot of psychic area damage), and has been the one to have plans get shut down regularly, it has got to feel bad having to always be the one to organize & propose outings.

That and LOGGING OFF for the rest of the weekend would do him & his wife an absolute world of good.

I'm extremely sorry to see the progression of posts. I've been worried about this for months while reading, and it's a total tragedy.

There will be a point beyond which the marriage is unrecoverable, and she might not even realize when it is. The emotional connection has clearly been fraying for awhile, and she has clearly been communicating reasonable needs that are not being met.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
No one who wasn't completely asocial to begin with is going to be able to cut off all social ties because of COVID. No one. You will break your relationship (and yourself) if you try to force someone else into that paradigm.

You've gotta give and compromise somewhere. Like, eating indoors would be a legitimately reckless action, but lots of things are fine. Not a therapist, but I feel like your wife may be avoiding defining her risk level because she's afraid you're going to shut her down if she comes up with specific examples.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I know we dunk on ghouls who say “gotta live your life and not live in fear!!” a lot, but…there’s a certain point where that’s true, and y’all have found it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
WAIST - I would compromise with your wife and push to have some outdoor picnics and such with friends to help her.

Drano
Dec 21, 2004

BEST at removing tough clogs!
Chiming in to say Senserion SCD4x “Gadget” NDIR sensor owns, 3 mos experience with one, app isn’t terrible

Dettol (gray market?) PCMX [para-chloro-meta-xylenol] for monkeypox fomite purposes - NB: TOXIC TO ANIMALS/CATS!!! - available from Ferebe dot com

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ikanreed posted:

Who did the all those reviews of uvc lamps to determine which ones are real?

The short version is that it’s real if it uses a clear glass tube with electrodes and mercury vapor inside, emitting a beautiful blue glow and a bunch of invisible UV that rips DNA and RNA to shreds.

If it’s LED-based, it’s almost certainly fake.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
biden is already tilting at windmills long covid ain't gonna do poo poo to him

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For real, having your social circle just kind of cut you out is brutal and I couldn't imagine letting anyone I know willingly go through that. If her friends are like "you need to hit up bars with us every night or you're dead to us" then yeah maybe that's not the best group, but non-shitheads should be willing to at least be somewhat accommodating.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Really am sorry to hear this, but as others suggested working with you wife and seeking professional mental health care is critical. Your wife sounds like a great person.

Fart Dumbass posted:

had an incident at my apartment on sunday where someone was shooting off fireworks directly outside my window(literally 10 feet outside of it) and I went outside to yell at them to knock it the gently caress off. they got super aggro and got in my face waving their hands and threatening to attack my wife and I and as it was happening all I could think was 'this guy is too close and drunk and yelling in my face and neither of us are masked.' well, I have a sore throat today and my wife feels sick. god loving damnit dude
That is ridiculous. Hope you somehow avoid it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1541435432877146113

crosses this guy’s name off the list

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/dglaucomflecken/status/1553237830796644352?s=21&t=MqjW0TUEvVeFdH_ukn_1IA

I think I’ve posted this guys tiktoks here, he’s great

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Nocturtle posted:

That is ridiculous. Hope you somehow avoid it.

people have gone completely insane the last 2 years and its kind of wild

e: not wanting to paint WAIST in with this comment

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fart Dumbass posted:

you went outside without a mask? why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im super careful, unwilling to do restaurants or anything but i've had a lot of great small group / double date picnics with friends around the area and I make sure they're spaced out maybe once a month so we all have time to know if we caught anything that we wont spread it to anyone else, etc. I'm extremely introverted and even I need a
little interaction outside of the internet.