Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

People that live in constant fear of violence due to growing up in poor areas of the inner city are more likely to be a little more wary (always checking corners and surroundings due to worrying about crime, for instance) and often have had their fight/flight instincts more honed due to having dealt with more strenuous conditions where they might have to run from things or be forced to fight. That's where that stereotype (edit: new page - black people reacting better to danger in horror, either by being the first to run or attacking right away) kind of comes from, on both sides of the equation.

Related, watching Get Out in a majority black, edge of inner city theatre (with my white girlfriend at the time) was one of the most hilarious experiences I ever had. Especially with the group of women behind us constantly saying "see, that's why you don't gently caress with those white b*****s!" and stuff loudly over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
African-Americans literally have to deal with an entire tradition of white people dressing up in silly costumes specifically to attack and intimidate them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Something else I was contemplating-we all have a good laugh at idea of poor Freckles thinking of ants and dying. Horses are scared of dumb things from a human perspective; someone arbitrarily standing behind them? Their own reflection? Part of the training they do for horses for many purposes is to desensitize them from these benign things.

But then take the antagonist of the film itself. A big flying thing. Except that humans are pretty used to big flying things. But this one is just wrong. It sounds wrong, it moves wrong, it's there and then it's not. Jean Jacket ended up being incredibly fragile, easy to bait, easy to scare off. But it's appearance, it's sounds, and it's behavior is terrifying. Now the vast majority of the time you can avoid getting attacked by such a creature by simply staying indoors-while it can vacuum up some materials it's fragile structure means it's the equivalent of us licking up broken glass to get at a chicken tendy.

I suspect that inorganic matter played a part in its digestive process, like how chickens would eat stones and rocks to help grind food in their gizzards. When we see the digestion, we can see people getting bloodily banged into objects as they're advancing, and the woman we're following ends up getting her skull slowly crushed against the horse statue by both the swallowed audience and JJ's muscle

Panfilo posted:

Humans are interesting in how they process fear compared to most other animals. Given our capacity to learn it is the unknown that is scary and understanding the unknown can help make sense of things. I mean think about it - [spoiler] Once Jean Jacket's existence is discovered by humanity at large, that species is hosed. A whole new generation of Jupes will be leading hunting expeditions to blast these things out of the sky. It won't be scary, it will be a novelty like Jupe always wanted Jean Jacket to be. .

Military aircraft very likely would murder them, even without missiles coming into play. It would largely depend on how far the EM field extends, but it didn't feel like it was particular huge considering that only certain parts of the Haywood ranch were effected by its movement. The only other saving grace would be it's electromagnetic properties might keep it from being detected on radar.

At the same time, I'm thinking it was stronger in saucer mode than it was in full presentation mode. And JJ could be what's known as "ballistically tolerant", meaning you can shoot holes into it all day and it wouldn't die or fall out of the air because it's not hitting anything vital.

BTW, on a related note, there's an article with a scientist that consulted with Peele on the creation of the UFO. Spoilers abound at this link: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/nope-movie-ufo-design

Of particular note they used a multitude of oceanic invertebrate life as inspiration, but the ending of the interview is particularly interesting...

quote:

Was there anything that you came up with, in your conversations about designing this thing, that didn't end up being used but you thought was pretty cool?

Dabiri: "This is my first time doing this, so I don't want to ruin anything that they might have planned for later on. I would just say, there's a lot more stuff that they filmed that I think is really exciting. I personally hope that it will be released, whether it's in a director's cut or something. I don't know what their plans are for that.

But in terms of how did Jean Jacket get here? Let's see, what can I say without saying too much? Let me give you a concrete biological analogy. Jellyfish have what's called an asexual reproduction state. Basically, if you find one jellyfish, there's bound to be many, many others in the area, because they all tend to be born, so to speak, out of the same egg. So, it's rare that you find one of them. Here in this story, there's one Jean Jacket that we see. Suppose the question is, is Jean Jacket really one of one, or are there others? Is Jean Jacket actually dead?

There's a species of jellyfish that's called the immortal jellyfish, because if you damage it or otherwise harm it, it goes back to almost like an embryonic form, and hibernates in that state, and then comes back later when conditions are more favorable. I'm not the movie maker. But if it was me, I would say there would be some interesting opportunity to ask the question of whether we've seen the last of Jean Jacket."

:tinfoil:

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 30, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Panfilo posted:

There was also the gag where OJ sees the "aliens" and his reaction to seeing an alien suspending from the ceiling is to punch it in the head.
that was a great scene but my immediate reflection was that those kids are lucky they didn't pull that stunt on a rancher that was packing heat. loving around with someone on their private property in the US in the dead of night might not always end so well

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

My neighbor told me an alien keeps eating his horses so I asked how many horses he has and he said he just buys a new horse from me afterward so I said it sounds like he's just feeding my horses to an alien and then my sister started crying

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Young Freud posted:

I suspect that inorganic matter played a part in its digestive process, like how chickens would eat stones and rocks to help grind food in their gizzards. When we see the digestion, we can see people getting bloodily banged into objects as they're advancing, and the woman we're following ends up getting her skull slowly crushed against the horse statue by both the swallowed audience and JJ's muscle

I think it's just a filter feeder. Stuff like coins and keys it just spits out like bones, but the horse statue and balloon looked like things it could eat and it didn't know any better

Also do we really need to keep using spoilers here? It's been out for a week and this is a thread specifically devoted to the movie. I could understand if we were in the horror thread but if you come in here without having seen the movie that's kind of on you

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
some more details about Fry's Electronics role in the movie, which is of great interest to me

How Jordan Peele brought the Bay Area's Fry's Electronics back to life for 'Nope'
San Francisco news anchor, Fry's Electronics co-founder have surprise cameos in 'Nope'

One of the Fry's founders/owners/? gets sucked up in the Star Lasso Experience

apparently you can see some facsimile of Jupiter's Claim on the Universal backlot tour?

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sivart13 posted:

some more details about Fry's Electronics role in the movie, which is of great interest to me

How Jordan Peele brought the Bay Area's Fry's Electronics back to life for 'Nope'
San Francisco news anchor, Fry's Electronics co-founder have surprise cameos in 'Nope'

apparently you can see some facsimile of Jupiter's Claim on the Universal backlot tour?

Yes, you can!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d punch a grey alien in the face and I’m white as hell.

Greys are fuckin scary man

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

CelticPredator posted:

when I was like 10 and trick or treating there was a house with a bunch of jump scares in the yard and I wacked not one, but two of them with my full candy bag after they scared me as a fight or flight response.

I don’t know what this means but it seems a
Appropriate for the conversation at hand.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Saw this last night. Don't have much to add on top of what was already said. basically n'thing the trauma that the thread had with the chimp scene.

Something caught my eye in Angel's room though - was that cypto mining rig in the background? He's one of those "the truth is out there" types who works at Fry's and is recently single. Or maybe it was just a 3d printer.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Sivart13 posted:

I did enjoy seeing Burbank's location a lot. I lived right up the street from it for years and went there all the time. I was pretty sad to see it go but it was pretty rough the last time I went. :(

Sivart13 posted:

that was a great scene but my immediate reflection was that those kids are lucky they didn't pull that stunt on a rancher that was packing heat. loving around with someone on their private property in the US in the dead of night might not always end so well

I don't know if it was intended, but I did find this to be an interesting story thread. It kind of ties into just how easy JJ is to kill. A black family has to go through hell, fighting for their lives every moment, to survive against JJ. But we, as the audience, know full well the US military has basically made an artform of killing things without even having to leave the office. Seeing OJ and Em's struggle then knowing the alternative options that could have been used presents an interesting dichotomy to examine, imo.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 30, 2022

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
quote isn't edit

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Saw this Thursday.

I liked it but didn't love it.

Not here to start poo poo because it sounds like everyone loved it, but I was mostly bummed by the bait and switch.

Like, in Peele's other movies there was always a big reveal, but the trailers always did a good job laying out a mystery that doesn't change. In Get Out we know that some bad poo poo is going down, but not what that is specifically, and in Us we know that it's going to be a doppelganger family doing some bad poo poo, but not why they're doing it.

Nope felt like a bit of a cop out. Like someone telling you to come over for a steak dinner, feeding you ham steak, and then going, "Actually I think you'll find that I didn't trick you at all, ham steak IS technically a kind of steak!"

Again, I liked the movie, I just think I would have liked it more if it was greys.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Biff Rockgroin posted:

in Peele's other movies there was always a big reveal, but the trailers always did a good job laying out a mystery that doesn't change
did you watch one of the earlier teaser trailers, or the recent long ones?

I got really annoyed at the trailer I saw before Thor: Love and Thunder because it seemed to go through the whole drat plot, just a bunch of people basically shouting "we need to take a picture of these aliens!!" over and over. I hate seeing trailers for movies I know I'm inevitably going to see.

Though definitely if you come in knowing the premise is "something in the sky is bothering these people" (which you can gather from the poster) the plot doesn't really stray much from that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The trailer showed greys.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Sivart13 posted:

did you watch one of the earlier teaser trailers, or the recent long ones?

I watched both.

It's really not the movie's fault so much as it's the trailer because the trailer made it out to be "Aliens and a UFO show up at a ranch and no one knows why" rather than "A UFO shows up at a ranch and no one knows what it really is".

I'm an edge case though because I have a friend who's SUPER into aliens asking me if I think he'll like it, and it's like, well, yes, but probably not because you love greys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just got back from seeing this. Overall I really liked it although I thought it could have stood to be a little shorter.

The only thing I had mixed feelings on was the chimp stuff. Mixed because I loved it, but felt like it barely fit into the movie. To me it felt like it was an idea so good that he had to do something with it, but couldn't turn into a feature film so it got kind of shoehorned into Nope, and it only fit into the movie in the loosest sense. At the same time would I want to see it removed...? No cause it was good. I just think it would have worked better as a short before the movie or something released independently of it.

The rest of the movie was cool if not sort of all over the place. Great atmosphere and a cool monster. The sound design was pretty nuts. The cast was all top notch. So yeah, the worst I can say about it is that it felt a little scatterbrained at times, but not so much it really bothered me.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's a central plank that holds up the film's themes, which are all about exploring the risks (and associated traumas) of humans wanting / needing to exploit and conquer nature.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of Gordy, where the hell was Gordy's trainer when things popped off?

Also, I had heard that the chimps they typically use in film /TV are juveniles specifically because they are less aggressive. The RL story of the woman who had her face chewed off by a pet chimp was an adult I think she had raised from a baby but the attack was not out of nowhere-he had been progressively more aggressive as he matured and the lady had apparently been giving him (human) benzos or tranquilizers to keep him under control.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The whole cast looks shifty and uncomfortable while filming the scene and I know there was a whole part of the Gordy subplot filmed but not in the final cut, so I'm wondering if there's something explaining just that. The television commercial crew was quick to ignore and discount what OJ was trying to say or do with the horse, so it's possible they just didn't have the trainer on-set for whatever reason.

As to its place in the story: Ricky has this moment in his past where he faced down tragedy and has convinced himself he tamed it. Gordy flew into a rage and attacked other people, but came to him in a calm and open way. The problem, of course, is it was a total fluke that Ricky wasn't also attacked: his face is obscured by the tablecloth, Gordy has come down from his initial fear on his own, and in that moment he's able to recognize the trick he's been trained to do with Ricky. If another balloon had gone off, or if someone had come in yelling and screaming, Ricky would probably have fared a lot worse.

So in present day, Ricky has tragically recreated the conditions that lead to that same disaster because he believes he has tamed and can control JJ. He doesn't know what he's dealing with, he thinks he's got it down to a set schedule, and he's convinced himself he's the only one who understands what "The Viewers" are going to do. Ricky being a former child star chasing "The Viewers" and trying to recapture fame on his own terms has been his entire life. He's monetized his own trauma in an effort to own what happened to him and is looking for something he can truly "claim" as his own.

Edited to add spoiler tags cuz I'm not sure where we're at on open spoilers?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I am a tad jealous of people talking about how awesome it was to see in a big theater because I saw it at noon with literally no other human being to be seen.

Movie rocked though. I want to see it again.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Saw it earlier today. There was a rowdy guy up front by himself who was just chattering a bit interim someone told him to shut the gently caress up, at which point he started yelling non-stop about how he will never shut up and if anyone wants to suck his dick they're welcome to, and he'd do it back. Staff asked him to be quiet and then to leave, he argued for a while but finally got up just before the first sighting in the movie. You could still hear him yelling at the cops outside the theater during the quiet parts for the rest of that sequence. That's what you get for putting a movie theater next door to a liquor store.

Anyway I can't get the gordy attack out of my head. Do y'all think the shoe was really just because it was part of Jordan Peele's dream?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If you take out Gordy, Jupe becomes just a red shirt.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jean Jacket is indeed an extraterrestrial creature. A lot of its behaviour is like, it's clearly not at all adapted to modern Earth, and given its death is by something that could easily have happened by accident

This part actually made sense to me. JJ is extremely adept at handling all manner of organic materials but ends up getting hosed by cheap plastic decorations. The same thing occurs with terrestrial animals who end up ingesting straws and such. I have to think it was intentional given the other themes in the movie that JJ was taken down by what was essentially human detritus

TheSlutPit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 31, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

Saw it earlier today. There was a rowdy guy up front by himself who was just chattering a bit interim someone told him to shut the gently caress up, at which point he started yelling non-stop about how he will never shut up and if anyone wants to suck his dick they're welcome to, and he'd do it back. Staff asked him to be quiet and then to leave, he argued for a while but finally got up just before the first sighting in the movie. You could still hear him yelling at the cops outside the theater during the quiet parts for the rest of that sequence. That's what you get for putting a movie theater next door to a liquor store.

Anyway I can't get the gordy attack out of my head. Do y'all think the shoe was really just because it was part of Jordan Peele's dream?

drat I can’t believe you met Denver Allen

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
RE: The TMZ guy

He's wearing a mirror helmet. His preoccupation with fame, spectacle, and capturing things on film is a literal reflection of Em and us, the audience.

Mirrors are like the easiet visual metaphors to spot, so it's not that insightful (nor is it the most complex in this movie), but no one else had mentioned it yet!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Same.

If you punch someone who jumps out at you at a haunted house you're an rear end in a top hat, but if you punch someone who tries to jumpscare you out in public or in your own house you're more than justified because you didn't sign up for that poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of Gordy, where the hell was Gordy's trainer when things popped off?

Also, I had heard that the chimps they typically use in film /TV are juveniles specifically because they are less aggressive. The RL story of the woman who had her face chewed off by a pet chimp was an adult I think she had raised from a baby but the attack was not out of nowhere-he had been progressively more aggressive as he matured and the lady had apparently been giving him (human) benzos or tranquilizers to keep him under control.

You can't keep adult chimps as pets because they get too moody and unpredictable. Michael Jackson's famous chimp Bubbles was put in a zoo type enclosure once he matured, for instance (and ceased to like Michael or pay attention anymore when he went to visit).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw it again yesterday and picked up a few things that I missed the first time (or didn't quite get the dialog)

Like how when OJ and Em go back to the ranch for the first time after leaving the commercial, that loving cloud is in the shot the entire time, and framed so that it's right between them

Or how that night (or maybe the following night?) OJ starts making his own chrome mirrorball on a plunger like the one that Lucky startled on, so he can start training his horses to work on mocap sets

And poor Jupe, imagine being so traumatised that part of your coping mechanism is thinking Chris Kattan is funny

Phy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 31, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

The Jean jacket remix is on the soundtrack

Also this is such a badass track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp7qHb9U-A
Yeah I love that it seamlessly morphs from horror flick strings to big loving western music

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phy posted:

Saw it again yesterday and picked up a few things that I missed the first time (or didn't quite get the dialog)

Like how when OJ and Em go back to the ranch for the first time after leaving the commercial, that loving cloud is in the shot the entire time, and framed so that it's right between them

I loooove when movies do this poo poo. Anything, really. It's the best kind of rewatch bonus.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Phy posted:

Yeah I love that it seamlessly morphs from horror flick strings to big loving western music

The soundtrack is pretty goddamn good. It’s on Apple Music and I’ve been jamming along to dramatic cowboy strings. Reminds me a bit of the Signs soundtrack in places, another banger.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The digestion scene was one of the most unsettling things I've seen in a movie in a long time. It takes a fair amount for a movie to actually disturb me but that moment bordered on traumatizing. I loved it!

Deep Rising is even more hosed up

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I loved this movie.

I really thought I had it all figured out by the shots in the trailer. The fist bump, the lady in the veil, the aliens in the stable. Nope. I ultimately thought the chimp was going to be involved somehow and it would be a Scooby Doo ending where it was all fake. The fakeout was a perfectly executed scene, by the way. The audience reacting in confusion and curiosity, to fear, to the biggest laugh in the movie. That, the theme park abduction scene, and the storm sequence are all memorable.

Depicting the alien as a biblically accurate angel is such a great idea. I don't remember that happening before.

Wondering how y'all interpreted the alien's behaviour: there's an obvious predator vs prey dynamic. Jean Jacket sounded like it was laughing when it vomited the horse statue into the car. And vomiting the blood and debris onto the house was like it was toying with them. That would reframe its behaviour as malevolent rather than just trying to survive.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shneak posted:

Wondering how y'all interpreted the alien's behaviour: there's an obvious predator vs prey dynamic. Jean Jacket sounded like it was laughing when it vomited the horse statue into the car. And vomiting the blood and debris onto the house was like it was toying with them. That would reframe its behaviour as malevolent rather than just trying to survive.

I think it's just vocalizations. A big theme of the movie is that animals are animals, and I think attributing malice to it takes away from that core

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I was surprised my movie buddy didn't notice the signaling behind Holst taking pills. He was probably terminally ill and that factored into his actions.

Edit: on animal strength:
it's an orangutan and not a chimpanzee, but I still wouldn't want to gently caress with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wn6og0cU7A

Heffer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 31, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Heffer posted:

I was surprised my movie buddy didn't notice the signaling behind Holst taking pills. He was probably terminally ill and that factored into his actions.

This was my interpretation as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does this movie (and Get Out) compare to Us? I havent seen Us yet but upon reflection I think Get Out was the more enjoyable experience for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Shneak posted:

Since it's a big predator I assume it's marking territory by pissing on a landmark