Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

jokes posted:

Do y’all put your ROMs on internal storage or on your SD card?

I got a lot of loving games okay

SD card all day long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Is he just building better emulators or what? I’m confused at what this guy does.

He’s porting games

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Roms and games go wherever I’ve got space, I’m never filling up this thing

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jokes posted:

All of mine are on the Internal, Switch titles have been eating up a ton of my god drat space.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Why on earth would you recycle one, they sell for several hundred dollars.

It was part of a bunch of electronics crap that I’ve been cluttering the office with, and I just got fed up with all of it and took it to the electronics recycling place. I hadn’t touched any of it in years, and I just wanted to have the space back so we could finally put my fiancée’s stuff away properly. I wouldn’t have bothered with eBay I’m sure, but if I knew it was in demand I would have given it away!

Will check in with them tomorrow!

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Just started playing, but AM2R seems to run great on the Deck.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

jokes posted:

SD card. emulated games are rarely going to benefit from being stored on a faster device (most were originally stored in formats far slower than an sd card)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

stuker posted:

One thing that I think has sort of fallen to the background with all of the storage chat is how well everything runs from microSD. I've generally been running everything from card, and I haven't run into a situation yet where I've felt like I've needed to move a game to internal storage. There could definitely be some selection bias in there, but I don't think the average 64 GB user needs to look at SSD upgrades even if their internal capacity isn't gonna cut it.

Yeah, just for shits and giggles, I installed Win10 to a 256gb microSD card and it runs ok - you can certainly tell it’s not on an SSD, but it’s nothing like spinning-rust speed.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have a dumb question. Does Steam know to not bring in your desktop game settings? I plan on cross playing a lot and I’m very excited about cross saves but a little concerned it may try to pull resolution and graphics settings back and forth constantly.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have a dumb question. Does Steam know to not bring in your desktop game settings? I plan on cross playing a lot and I’m very excited about cross saves but a little concerned it may try to pull resolution and graphics settings back and forth constantly.

No, it mostly loads optimized setting self the deck or just default settings

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its up to each game to be smart enough to not put that kind of stuff in the cloud saved part of their configuration, and nearly every game I've seen does it correctly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

in either case with the batteries, we better find a better method than lithium ion instead, both because computer power usage is easily outscaling viability of battery storage to size ratios and we're going to start to feel the belt tightening on available lithium by as soon as 2026 or 2027

Well there are other Lithium chemistry secondary cells, but generally yes we could use higher energy density considering how reliant we are on mobile devices. On the other hand, increasing power efficiency is the other route to explore, and the Dreck itself is a good example, considering it gets the performance it has with a 15 W max TDP APU, ideally running at no more than 10-11 W (although this is not total system draw.) Not to beat a dead horse, but the Switch is also impressive for its performance and power efficiency, apparently using no more than 10 W max for the total power draw (not including the extra if recharging its own battery) for the least efficient original model (less on the ones with the revised Tegra SoC.

At this point it would be a good idea to reiterate the need to recycle metals in particular (which are generally easy to reuse) although Li is harder to recover. It's still necessary to do so due to it being hazardous, and hopefully going forward it will be easier to extract Li from recycled cells.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just put on an AmFilm last night. It obviously does add some reflection to the 512gb screen but I’m hoping it’s still less than usual.

I don’t care. I just saw someone saying the Deck battery was a pain to service so I looked it up and shared.

I'll add that I did recently apply an amfilm and I was pleased with the quality of the kit and the included materials, including the guide (otherwise I typically use a suction cup to apply screen protectors.)

My point regarding the Switch was that several of you read something that I didn't write, even though from context it was crystal clear to what I was referring.

loudog999 posted:

What would the symptoms of a fake SD card be? Whenever I download something to it my downloads keep dropping to 0 and last night I tried to move mass effect to it from internal storage and it errored out after a time. At the time I just thought it was because I was trying to move over 100 gigs so I deleted it, started downloading it again to my SD and it’s been going for about 12 hours.

I haven't actually received a fake/spoofed SD card but my understanding is that it'll either fail to write a quantum of data above the actual capacity (e.g., a 32 GB card whose firmware has been altered to make it look like 1 TB) or that it'll write data but overwrite the data once it goes beyond its real capacity so you'll get read errors when you try to read the older stuff. This definitely sounds like you may have a bad card (one way or other) so test it out with say h2testw, although in this thread others have said that the Dreck tests for capacity when you format a new card so you'd think it should've caught it.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I gave the Vita an honest try but Sony really handicapped that thing with its controls

I liked the Vita for what it was, but it's old at this point. There are newer and cheaper handhelds for running emulators.

Also regarding the controls, the Vita definitely suffers from not having a full set of L2/3 buttons, but that reminded me that the PSP was even worse, with only a single thumbstick.

Yes, when you install Steam on different PCs it knows that those are different hardware so it doesn't copy over graphical options between games. Saves should typically be sync'd though, and maybe controls too.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

XIV Launcher requires the game on the internal memory. This is the only edge case I can imagine where 64 GB doesn't cut it.

No, it can store it on microsd once you do some stuff in flatseal https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The sticks in particular were cramp inducing on the vita. There wasn’t anything to grip to make standard dual stick 3D camera controls comfortable.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Huge fan of both the Vita and the og PSP, but while enjoying native games on their native hardware is nice, the Steam Deck is proving to be one heck of a capable do almost all with IMO better ergonomics for more extended play (even if the battery can be a bit lacking in certain instances.)

Like for this nerd here who is playing Star Citizen while tethered right next to his desktop PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOOLinxMjU

Goes to show the hardware in the deck though does hit above it's weight a bit. FSR helps in the other video to make it a bit more playable at least.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

oh my dude…I recycled one two weeks ago that sat new in box for years. I’ll see if the place still has it to buy back and if so you can have it for shipping cost (from Canada)

if you find it I'll hold you to it :pray:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So uh, anyone else run into an issue where all of your non-steam games refuse to launch? Every time I press "Play" it switches to "downloading" for a second and then nothing happens and the button goes back to saying "Play." This happens with every single non-steam game/app I have. I've tried updating steam and restarting the device, and still the same thing.

edit: actually, it's everything. Even normal steam games refuse to launch now. What the hell? I see some reddit posts from people who said they ran into a similar issue when their storage was almost full, but I have 320GB free on my SSD and 150GB free on my SD card.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 31, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, I'm not having that problem at all, and I have less space than you do on my 512's SSD, like low double-digits GB.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I had that problem once, restarting the device from the power menu fixed it. I know you've tried that already though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Restarting is doing nothing for me. I've installed nothing weird on my steam deck, either. All I've done outside of steam is the emudeck thing, which does nothing that should interfere with steam as far as I'm aware. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it, but it's starting to look like that's the only option.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

xarph posted:

No, it can store it on microsd once you do some stuff in flatseal https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

Thanks for pointing this out. I admit I didn't read that far down before.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Restarting is doing nothing for me. I've installed nothing weird on my steam deck, either. All I've done outside of steam is the emudeck thing, which does nothing that should interfere with steam as far as I'm aware. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it, but it's starting to look like that's the only option.

If you do go down the factory reset route, I might suggest moving any games off the internal storage to the SD card before you do to avoid having to redownload.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, I fixed it. I had "Steam Linux Runtime - Soldier" stuck in my downloads at 100% completion, but with the error message "missing downloaded files." I went into its properties and verified the integrity of its files, which got stuck at 0%. So I dicked around in the options and went back to the downloads. This time clicking the "retry" button on the stuck download actually caused it to redownload from scratch. Now the steam linux runtime is up to date and games will launch again, yay.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Vampire Survivors is video game drugs and a dangerous combination with the Deck. Must buy for $3.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ShaneB posted:

Vampire Survivors is video game drugs and a dangerous combination with the Deck. Must buy for $3.

I cannot believe he hasn't raised the price, especially with how popular it has become and how much content has been added.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

if you find it I'll hold you to it :pray:

checked with them today, it got sent to some other aggregator or something (the guy wasn’t making perfect sense), so no joy. sorry to get your hopes up

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The first day I had my Deck I was very tired but super wanted to try it out and I fell asleep playing Vampire Survivors. Fortunately I had the build sorted out so it just quietly won itself for me while I snoozed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HopperUK posted:

The first day I had my Deck I was very tired but super wanted to try it out and I fell asleep playing Vampire Survivors. Fortunately I had the build sorted out so it just quietly won itself for me while I snoozed.
This is me every time I play Vampire Survivors, or any Vampire Survivors clone, tbh

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What're some of the noteworthy clones?

I might be making a clone myself and could use the reference material.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

20 Minutes to Dawn is the one that I think has done best on Steam at least. Though wasn’t this an existing and popular mobile subgenre prior to VS?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

How do I enable custom textures for psp in emudeck? I have them in the RetroArch saves/PSP/TEXTURES folder but no dice on getting them to work. Is there a setting I need to enable?

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
My RMA Deck is on its way, ETA on Friday. I have missed mine dearly, since it let me play MHRise at 60fps in bed (I have leg/hip issues so can't sit at desk after working all day). The 512GB mSD card arrived the day after the Deck died, so I'm going to start poking at emulation this time too.

My Steam library is above 540 games so I definitely have some backlog to work through with or without the emulation efforts

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

The sticks in particular were cramp inducing on the vita. There wasn’t anything to grip to make standard dual stick 3D camera controls comfortable.

That sounds like the exact complaint I had with the Switch...and it's why I bought grip cases for both the Vita and Switch.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Vegetable posted:

Is he just building better emulators or what? I’m confused at what this guy does.

No, there are people porting other games to Vita.

I have full GTA 3 and Vice City installed on mine. Pretty wild.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Arcon posted:

My RMA Deck is on its way, ETA on Friday. I have missed mine dearly, since it let me play MHRise at 60fps in bed (I have leg/hip issues so can't sit at desk after working all day). The 512GB mSD card arrived the day after the Deck died, so I'm going to start poking at emulation this time too.

My Steam library is above 540 games so I definitely have some backlog to work through with or without the emulation efforts

How long did your RMA take to process? I'm going into the third week since I've sent mine back.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Spaz Medicine posted:

How long did your RMA take to process? I'm going into the third week since I've sent mine back.

Don't hesitate to open a Steam support ticket (or reply to your open one) if you feel it's taking too long. Valve literally forgot about my RMA until I pinged them and it got back on track

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Veotax posted:

Don't hesitate to open a Steam support ticket (or reply to your open one) if you feel it's taking too long. Valve literally forgot about my RMA until I pinged them and it got back on track

This happened to me too. Valve received my Deck back on July 18, and there was nothing until I sent a support message on July 28:

quote:

I'm sorry about the delay. I've initiated your replacement shipment now and you should receive an update via email within 24 hours (excluding weekends).

New one is scheduled to arrive Aug 3

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

It sounds like Valve's RMA support is pretty forgetful but quick once you give them a reminder. I wonder how understaffed they are and how many units they have to deal with.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Snackmar posted:

This happened to me too. Valve received my Deck back on July 18, and there was nothing until I sent a support message on July 28:

New one is scheduled to arrive Aug 3

drat ok. They received mine on the 14th. I already made a followup ticket last week; they said they'd get in touch with the warehouse and I'm still waiting on a response.

I really want my Deck. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asking again about how to get PS3 emulation going. Everything else is working but emudeck doesn’t register any ps3 stuff and I thought I remembered someone saying I had to do something.

Also is there a vampire survivors thread? I don’t want to poo poo this one up with questions