Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
“I wasn’t sure this map featuring a Gypsy Empire was a troll until I saw a United Serbia”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TinTower posted:

“I wasn’t sure this map featuring a Gypsy Empire was a troll until I saw a United Serbia”.

Roma est magna

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TinTower posted:

I loving looked at the Balkans first.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Give all Spain to the Basques, give all France to the Bretons, give all Germany to the Sorbs, and give all England to the Welsh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the bulgarian one is the guy who conquered the first bulgarian empire

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Glad we included the free city of Danzig. Which has always been allied with the caliphate of Kent.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I like how Switzerland is not changed at all except instead of a confederation of states it has turned into a union of states, and formally recognized that Liechtenstein is part of Switzerland, which it is already in all practical terms. Liechtenstein can even keep its own prince; the canton of Neuchatel was part of Switzerland while also being a princely state until like 1848 or so.

Also rip Voralberg.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If it really were a troll-map, they'd have split Belgium into Southern Flanders and Northern Wallonia.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

No one said it was a smart troll

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Give all Spain to the Basques, give all France to the Bretons, give all Germany to the Sorbs, and give all England to the Welsh.

What do you have against the Welsh :confused:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Given the frequency of "Emirate" on that map, it's probably a racist troll

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CommonShore posted:

Given the frequency of "Emirate" on that map, it's probably a racist troll

The Ottomans are the rightful holders of rome tho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_(endonym)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Two-two was a race horse
One-one was one too
Two-two won a race one day
And one-one won one too

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dear jpg: why would you split Denmark north/south? We can all pretty much agree that it should be Jutland/Zealand. Funen and the other islands go to our side if we're talking economy and their side if we're talking culture.

Also missing independent Ærø.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Population density dot jpeg.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
it's horse! density, god read the map legend

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Scania goes much too far north.

Most insensible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scania goes much too far north.

Most insensible

Properly Danish Scania

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The more I look at this the more I like it lol, especially in eastern Europe. Svyatoslav Igorevich Land is delightful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The more I look at this the more I like it lol, especially in eastern Europe. Svyatoslav Igorevich Land is delightful.

:umberto:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

from here, where you can also click on the tribe names
https://www.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesEurope/Barbarian_Map52BC_max.htm

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

Dear jpg: why would you split Denmark north/south? We can all pretty much agree that it should be Jutland/Zealand. Funen and the other islands go to our side if we're talking economy and their side if we're talking culture.

Also missing independent Ærø.

Is 'Zealand' the proper anglicised term for 'Sjælland'? I thought it was unique to the Dutch province of Zeeland (they both mean the same thing in their native languages, AFAIK).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Is 'Zealand' the proper anglicised term for 'Sjælland'? I thought it was unique to the Dutch province of Zeeland (they both mean the same thing in their native languages, AFAIK).

It is, but I can't say why. Maybe the English were influenced by speakers of Plattdeutsch in the Danish case?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

English just tried to futureproof the names, since both Sjælland and Zeeland will be land under the sea pretty soon. (It's weird that they use the same name, yeah)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

So far as we know, Sjælland comes from Old Norse selund "place of seals", the "land of lakes (seas)" etymology is spurious.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The Zealand in New Zealand is from the Dutch Zeeland, which etymologically does mean "sea land" though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is awesome, thank you for posting it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Properly Danish Scania

Drove from Denmark to Scania recently and if I hadn't crossed a very long bridge and a border check I probably wouldn't have noticed I was supposedly in a different country. Going north into Sweden proper was more of a difference in terms of language, culture, architecture, and landscape than crossing an actual border.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Drove from Denmark to Scania recently and if I hadn't crossed a very long bridge and a border check I probably wouldn't have noticed I was supposedly in a different country. Going north into Sweden proper was more of a difference in terms of language, culture, architecture, and landscape than crossing an actual border.

:catstare:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I went to Sweden and everything was like in Finland except all the people spoke a foreign language, and it cost 5 crowns to take a poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I wonder why they left out the Celtiberians?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I wonder why they left out the Celtiberians?

Presumably because Rome had conquered and assimilated them by 52 BC

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Aside from the lovely dog-whistles, I love this. It is full of studiedly stupid decisions. It reminds me of the quip that "it takes a very good actor to convincingly portray a bad actor".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Literally every Swede on SA not from southern Sweden treats people from southern Sweden like subhuman trash in the SAL thread, so there is clearly a cultural divide.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reindeer dna makes people ornery

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah, I guess the timeline of assimilation was throwing me off.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Carthag Tuek posted:

The Galatians were may more "assimilated" by 52 BC, but they're still on there.

Lots of problems with that map, like none of Ireland being Celtic.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

What defines "tribe" here, weren't the Latins a "tribe" at one point?