Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'd also suggest getting an EA license if you're going to be doing any US tax stuff in terms of like, signing returns. It's relatively easy to get compared to becoming a US CPA, but it would give you a US license.

Strafford Webinars are indeed really good, and Pat if you can PM me the details on your conference I'll probably attend (I'm a US CPA in the international space). I have the like $1k/year unlimited Strafford subscription though I don't know if that covers live webcasts or just recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Oh sure, if anyone's interested: https://www.straffordpub.com/products/tlixflhgra?utm_campaign=tlixflhgra

I still have to actually draft the slides lol.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

When it gets to the part where there's audience questions, I may or may not ask if you have stairs in your house. I won't do that don't worry lol

Edit: Nice I need the CLE too so yeah I'll definitely watch this, whether live or the recording I'm not sure.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 27, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My boss certainly makes it easy to make this decision. She fired her assistant of 1 month for "not knowing enough" when the girl was just out of college and she was only willing to pay sub 40k for the position. Which is awful, even in NJ, for a public accountant. You know she did it thinking "I can just push more work onto [me]." I have two interviews on Friday and this renewed my decision to leave. It actually caused me to panic apply to over 100 job applications seeking senior accountants in the area.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Covok posted:

My boss certainly makes it easy to make this decision. She fired her assistant of 1 month for "not knowing enough" when the girl was just out of college and she was only willing to pay sub 40k for the position. Which is awful, even in NJ, for a public accountant. You know she did it thinking "I can just push more work onto [me]." I have two interviews on Friday and this renewed my decision to leave. It actually caused me to panic apply to over 100 job applications seeking senior accountants in the area.

Welcome to getting phone calls in thick indian accents for the rest of your life about jobs you would never take.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

pseudanonymous posted:

Welcome to getting phone calls in thick indian accents for the rest of your life about jobs you would never take.

I mean, none of them were with recruiting firms. They were just local companies. It's the NYC area. There is always someone looking for an accountant.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I also got a flurry of replies.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"Covoking" now means standing up for yourself and changing to a new job. Good for you.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Awesome to hear that, Covok!

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just got a verbal offer and it's even better than I thought:
  • $90,000 Base
  • Christmas bonus
  • 6 month review for further salary increase
  • 15 Paid Vacation Days
  • Health Insurance with 50% matching
  • Eligible for 401k on January 1st, 2024
  • Flexible start date
  • Flexible Hours
  • No busy season; just a little busier at month end close

That's a 50% raise from my current base before bonuses and it's a better commute to boot and the bosses all seemed really nice and laid back. Plus, it's out of public accounting so I won't have any busy seasons or long hours anymore. This will be my first job that is mostly just 9am to 5pm every week.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Covok posted:

• $90,000 Base
  • Christmas bonus
  • 15 Paid Vacation Days
  • Flexible start date
  • Flexible Hours

That's a 50% raise from my current base before bonuses and it's a better commute to boot and the bosses all seemed really nice and laid back. Plus, it's out of public accounting so I won't have any busy seasons or long hours anymore. This will be my first job that is mostly just 9am to 5pm every week.

Nice dude, congrats. That's the payoff you're supposed to get from public accounting experience grind.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thinking about it, it's an even bigger pay increase. Because, before, I worked sometimes up to 100 hours a week during busy season. So my hourly rate was low than if I worked straight 9 to 5 all year. So, now that I am working basically 9 to 5 (I'm sure I'll have to do overtime on occasion because that's how reality works) all year, my hourly rate goes up even further.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

:slick: :krad: :slick:

Chanting "you deserve it" like when a wrestler wins a championship for the first time

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Congrats covok!

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

That looks great overall. Awesome!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Covok posted:

• $90,000 Base
  • Christmas bonus
  • 15 Paid Vacation Days
  • Flexible start date
  • Flexible Hours

Congratulations mate!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I don't want to steal Covoks thunder, but I got promoted from Finance Director to CFO Friday with a 20% pay increase retro to July 1 (though we use a COLA system, so 8.9% of that was pure soda).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't want to steal Covoks thunder, but I got promoted from Finance Director to CFO Friday with a 20% pay increase retro to July 1 (though we use a COLA system, so 8.9% of that was pure soda).

Congratulations to you too. Hy yhat dounds like a major promotion.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Nice bro!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Should I consider taking up local county accounting internship? I been trying more job hunting but lately the only one I got as possible accept was Robert Half. 40 hours work for 20k a year pay. World I just want some part time internship or starter stuff while I finish college.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Annointed posted:

Should I consider taking up local county accounting internship? I been trying more job hunting but lately the only one I got as possible accept was Robert Half. 40 hours work for 20k a year pay. World I just want some part time internship or starter stuff while I finish college.

I worked briefly for Robert Half as an SPS consultant (i.e. like I worked directly for Robert half, got benefits and stuff and then was farmed out to do work for companies somewhere between a real consultant and a contractor worker).

They are basically the Walmart of the contract worker world, but they charge insane prices. Their recruiting staff is a revolving door of people who don't give a poo poo and don't know anything about finance or accounting and don't care to learn. The good ones leave RH and go to work for boutique firms. I don't source candidates from RH at this point, I tried, and everyone they proposed to me both sucked and was the most expensive.

That being said, you need any kind of experience it sounds like. I would worry less about how much money you are going to get paid and more about how much exposure to full cycle accounting you'll get. You really want to be working somewhere that does "real" accounting, with a true accounting system and a month-end close. Even if you just end up working in AP or whatever, someplace that is doing things "right" and not just QuickBooks or whatever.

A county internship would be okay, they do full cycle accounting, but governmental accounting is really weird and is a form of fund accounting, which has a lot of overlap with cost accounting (not cost per unit stuff but allocation stuff). It's also impossible to propose or make changes in government work, generally. Things are run the way they are run. If you like that kind of thing, it might be good exposure, and state or federal accounting jobs have good benefits and you work 40 hours a week and for accounting jobs are generally pretty low stress.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

I worked briefly for Robert Half as an SPS consultant (i.e. like I worked directly for Robert half, got benefits and stuff and then was farmed out to do work for companies somewhere between a real consultant and a contractor worker).

They are basically the Walmart of the contract worker world, but they charge insane prices. Their recruiting staff is a revolving door of people who don't give a poo poo and don't know anything about finance or accounting and don't care to learn. The good ones leave RH and go to work for boutique firms. I don't source candidates from RH at this point, I tried, and everyone they proposed to me both sucked and was the most expensive.

That being said, you need any kind of experience it sounds like. I would worry less about how much money you are going to get paid and more about how much exposure to full cycle accounting you'll get. You really want to be working somewhere that does "real" accounting, with a true accounting system and a month-end close. Even if you just end up working in AP or whatever, someplace that is doing things "right" and not just QuickBooks or whatever.

A county internship would be okay, they do full cycle accounting, but governmental accounting is really weird and is a form of fund accounting, which has a lot of overlap with cost accounting (not cost per unit stuff but allocation stuff). It's also impossible to propose or make changes in government work, generally. Things are run the way they are run. If you like that kind of thing, it might be good exposure, and state or federal accounting jobs have good benefits and you work 40 hours a week and for accounting jobs are generally pretty low stress.

Thank you for that advice. Been a bit busy since trying to figure out something I can do before I graduate. What is your experience and opinion on part time internships while I finish my last semester of college?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 1, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

It isn't a competition. I am supre happy for you too! Awesome job!

Frankly, I am just worried as hell about resigning today. The recruiter says the written offer is coming. I have my letter written up but I know I'll have to tell my manager and I have a knot in my stomach today. Recruiter sent me tips and said he'll talk to me before and after but still. Yick.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Good luck Covak! I wouldn't turn in that resignation until you've got the ratified offer letter btw.

Also, I feel like this question was asked recently but I looked back s few pages and couldn't find it...what are the best places to do free CPE? Preferably the self study type as opposed to live webinars or whatever...this is the first year I've had to do it and predictably I blinked and it's suddenly August and I have zero hours done.

Covok
May 27, 2013

untzthatshit posted:

Good luck Covak! I wouldn't turn in that resignation until you've got the ratified offer letter btw.

I got a written offer letter today and just put in my resignation. It went extremely well. My boss said she was sad to see me go and that she wished me the best and that they were lucky to have me as long as they did and they had nothing bad to say about me. God, I was terrified all day but it went really well.

As of 8/12, I leave public accounting for good.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Hell yeah! Its never as bad as we tend to hype it up in our heads. If your boss is a decent enough human being, they're going to understand that employees sometimes move on! And that it's not something to take personally.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Got another interview for sitnsleep. Mainly clerical work. Will keep looking if they don't want me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My departure reminds me of some of the weird stuff about my office and I wanted to talk about something that always bugged me. I want to know if I'm right that this was scummy.

My boss has weird policies. The one I wanted to talk about is, if someone leaves, we refuse to tell anyone they did so they don't leave the firm. They don't learn until they come in for their appointment. The hope being they'll just let it go then and meet with whoever is there. That always struck me as scummy. And I know she'll do the same with me.

I feel really, really bad for my replacements, but it is what it is. I was so sick of being forced to do it for others.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I wouldn't get too hung up on it. People leave jobs all the time. Their services are with the firm, not the individual.

I would do the same thing.

Hell, I reached out to our external credits contact yesterday after not hearing back from them after a few weeks. Still nothing so i Googled their name. Dead from COVID in the last few months. Such is life.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Covok posted:

My boss has weird policies. The one I wanted to talk about is, if someone leaves, we refuse to tell anyone they did so they don't leave the firm. They don't learn until they come in for their appointment. The hope being they'll just let it go then and meet with whoever is there. That always struck me as scummy. And I know she'll do the same with me.
Right or wrong, this is pretty typical policy for public accounting firms.

Audax posted:

I wouldn't get too hung up on it. People leave jobs all the time. Their services are with the firm, not the individual.
Agree with the first part, but anyone who plans on sticking around in public for a while needs to realize the bolded part isn't quite right. The firm wants its staffers to have that attitude, but the partners handling those clients know that's not exactly the case. If you know a partner who has ever switched firms or started their own firm, ask them how many clients they took with them from their old firm. If Covok were switching to a different public accounting firm rather than going private, I'd be advising them to give some of their favorite/best clients a call once they got settled in at the new firm and see if any of them wanted to stick with Covok and switch over, too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

Right or wrong, this is pretty typical policy for public accounting firms.

Agree with the first part, but anyone who plans on sticking around in public for a while needs to realize the bolded part isn't quite right. The firm wants its staffers to have that attitude, but the partners handling those clients know that's not exactly the case. If you know a partner who has ever switched firms or started their own firm, ask them how many clients they took with them from their old firm. If Covok were switching to a different public accounting firm rather than going private, I'd be advising them to give some of their favorite/best clients a call once they got settled in at the new firm and see if any of them wanted to stick with Covok and switch over, too.

Our firm requires us to sign a two year nonsoliciation agreement when we join the company. So, I couldn't do that our the firm could request one year of profits from the clients from me. Which would ruin me. That's why I went private.

My company is kind of cruel. I once felt so bad for this one firm she bought. All the top performers quit when the non-solicitation agreement reached them. One bookkeeper did sign and quit later and they threatened to sue this single mother to the stone age if she dared to take one client.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Covok posted:

Our firm requires us to sign a two year nonsoliciation agreement when we join the company. So, I couldn't do that our the firm could request one year of profits from the clients from me. Which would ruin me. That's why I went private.

My company is kind of cruel. I once felt so bad for this one firm she bought. All the top performers quit when the non-solicitation agreement reached them. One bookkeeper did sign and quit later and they threatened to sue this single mother to the stone age if she dared to take one client.

Ok, now that's lovely and less typical, in my experience (which is not in New York/the northeast, so maybe things are different there). It sounds like its a good thing that you got out of there.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Non-solicitation agreement is extremely common and I'm making my staff sign them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I mean, you do you, pal, but they're exploitative as gently caress. Basically, a bunch of people got rich stealing clients and, now that new people are coming in and they realize other people might do the same, they pull up the ladder. Let's be real, that's the problem with this entire industry: accountants just keep pulling up the ladder on younger accountants then act suprised when everyone goes into programming instead. Like, the national accounting shortage is only going to get worse. The boomer die-off/retirement is here and we have fewer younger accountants then ever. It's a microcosm of everything wrong with captialism in the long term: endless pursuit of short term profits eroding the entire system over time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Huh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sorry, I have some strong opinions on the industry. Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with my current firm. I also posted on reddit and people are coming out left and right going "yo, this place is toxic as gently caress; it was good you bounced." So, I think I just have weird opinions I kept inside this whole time.

To explain myself, however, my boss literally tells me all the time how she stole all the clients to start her old business from a former employee then turns around a does lawsuits against people for stealing the firm's clients. And she does this all the time. And she is so proud of how she "made herself" that it just is like "okay, but can't you see the hypocrisy?"

As for the national accountant shortgage thing, it's mainly in tax prep but covid caused people to drop like flies. People who could retire quick, others died, and getting anyone to do tax prep is even harder because we have the fewest accounting graduates we ever had in like 20 years since 2011. There are a lot of tax pros leaving, a lot dying, and very very few people coming in. And those who do get treated like poo poo. My boss hired a girl out of college then fired her two months later for not "knowing enough" as I mentioned earlier.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I haven't seen one or signed one at the two firms I've worked at, but I've also worked only in at-will employment states and have never once in my life signed a long-term contract for any of the jobs I've held. Is this something that's more typical than I realize from my own experience, or is this something that varies a lot based on location/market? I was under the impression that they're somewhat common, but often unenforceable for accounting/tax services (and I've yet to hear of someone threating to sue some poor bookkeeper over one.) Are y'all at least getting/offering employment contracts that go along with this, or are y'all just getting at-will employees to sign these?

e:

Covok posted:

To explain myself, however, my boss literally tells me all the time how she stole all the clients to start her old business from a former employee then turns around a does lawsuits against people for stealing the firm's clients. And she does this all the time. And she is so proud of how she "made herself" that it just is like "okay, but can't you see the hypocrisy?"

That would certainly chap my rear end to listen to. There's no shortage of folks like that in the industry, but there's also no need to keep working for someone like that, there's enough opportunities out there working for people who don't pull the ladder up behind them and rub it in your face.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

I haven't seen one or signed one at the two firms I've worked at, but I've also worked only in at-will employment states and have never once in my life signed a long-term contract for any of the jobs I've held. Is this something that's more typical than I realize from my own experience, or is this something that varies a lot based on location/market? I was under the impression that they're somewhat common, but often unenforceable for accounting/tax services (and I've yet to hear of someone threating to sue some poor bookkeeper over one.) Are y'all at least getting/offering employment contracts that go along with this, or are y'all just getting at-will employees to sign these?

Nah, they are very clear this is not an employment contract and we are still at-will employees.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Is there really as shortage right now? When I graduated (back in 2011) I was the only one of my friends able to get an actual accounting job and that was only because I went to work at my uncles tax prep firm. My other friends with degrees in accounting could not find jobs in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Epi Lepi posted:

Is there really as shortage right now? When I graduated (back in 2011) I was the only one of my friends able to get an actual accounting job and that was only because I went to work at my uncles tax prep firm. My other friends with degrees in accounting could not find jobs in the field.

The situation now is almost incomparable to 2011. The talent pool isn’t matching with demand and it’s a great time to be entertaining other offers (I’m almost surely going to this year as well)