Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

almighty posted:

The chain of events often referred to as the Armenian Genocide took place before the modern day Turkey was established in 1923, and Turks weren't the only party that were involved in inter-communal violence and brigand activity; e.g. Kurdish Hamidiye Battalions are responsible for many Armanian civilian casualties and there've also been quite a lot of non-Armenian casualties inflicted by Armenian brigands and insurgents cooperating with Imperial Russian invasion efforts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

almighty posted:

Besides, advances in technology have shifted the paradigm of counter-terrorism into pinpoint, accurate surgical strikes against perpetrators of terror acts and the leadership cadres of KCK. Drone strikes, assassinations and hard intel work rarely don't really tend to polarize the localities KCK cadres blend into.

Pinpoint accurate surgical strikes on resorts full of innocent tourists.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

adebisi lives posted:

We don't know for sure that 12 year old boy wasn't a militant

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

almighty posted:

The thing you don't realize is that Kurds and Turks are very similar and there aren't huge cultural or religious differences between the two ethnic identities.

If it were any other poster I'd be like "yeah, that's pretty typical for old world ethnic conflicts, and it's an insight that I wish more people could see about eachother".

But since it's you here's my official response:

Would you perhaps even refer to Kurds as "mountain Turks".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
technically everyone's a turk. Desert Turks, Mountain Turks, Water Turks, Juicy Turks. It's turks all the way down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

almighty posted:

Besides, advances in technology have shifted the paradigm of counter-terrorism into pinpoint, accurate surgical strikes against perpetrators of terror acts and the leadership cadres of KCK. Drone strikes, assassinations and hard intel work rarely don't really tend to polarize the localities KCK cadres blend into.

Grover is back and he's speaking Turkish now!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Grover is back and he's speaking Turkish now!

Gröver Tepe

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

almighty posted:

The thing you don't realize is that Kurds and Turks are very similar and there aren't huge cultural or religious differences between the two ethnic identities.

I'm pretty sure "mortal worry the Turks will genocide us like they have for the last couple of decades" constitutes a cultural difference from the turks, but what do I know

E: oh he banned

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

almighty posted:

The thing you don't realize is that Kurds and Turks are very similar and there aren't huge cultural or religious differences between the two ethnic identities. You also fail to realize that KCK is a cult-like pseudo-Marxist group in which the worship of the great leader with huge Stalin like mustache is mandatory, and brain washing is a part of indoctrination not just into the ranks of cadres but also a rite of passage for integration into social life in areas they control in Syria. Being a subject of KCK is neither fun or popular. And since TR is allied with nearly all other Kurdish political parties outside TR in their fight against KCK/PKK, I wouldn't really jump to the conclusion of TR counter-terrorism strategy is bound to create a generation of Kurds hating TR.

I see you, and I hear what you have to say, and the only thing I’m left wondering is what’s your problem with mustaches? They can really accentuate the right face. In case they didn’t let you know when you signed on, you’ve always been allowed one in Turkish government service even before AKP liberalized the facial hair guidelines. November is 3 months away — I recommend the traditional “almondstache” for our times as it should fit nicely under a high-quality mask. The right mustache can unlock incredible career opportunities in Türkiyé.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

?

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1554213511101911046

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did they finally get the guy who blew up that car?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ayman Al-Zawahiri has been compromised to a permanent end. It really feels like something from a different lifetime at this point, to where even as someone who closely followed all the War on Terror stuff it's like :shrug:, but good I guess.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

i say swears online posted:

did they finally get the guy who blew up that car?

The drone pilot? I thought they exonerated him?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cornpop could run but he couldn't hide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm surprised that he was still alive

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1554216524637937664?s=20&t=hqCBwe-56KPKSIYIx-C4sQ

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Huh so it turns out occupying those places wasn't needed to fight al-qaeda

you live and you learn!

unless you're one of the million dead civilians that is

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

Huh so it turns out occupying those places wasn't needed to fight al-qaeda

you live and you learn!

unless you're one of the million dead civilians that is

well also the US didn't really learn so, neither counts?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hooray, that means terrorism is defeated forever! Big Macs all around!

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

adebisi lives posted:

That one is allegedly an artillery strike, not a drone attack. I hope it’s fully and throughly investigated and details about type of weapon used and party responsible are released along with all evidence available. I don’t know much about artillery, however it’s my understanding that remains of shell casing and shrapnel can be accurately traced to the type of ammunition.

I’ve been keeping track of various Turkish drone strikes against PKK cadres in Syria and Northern Iraq, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but they tend to be conducted with Hellfire analogues that are in Turkish inventory named MAM. Almost all drone strikes I’ve tracked so far targeted cadres traveling in vehicles, with no discernible collateral damage to the surroundings. There were reports of civilian casualties who were unrelated to the militant or political bodies of the KCK/PKK in two instances, and those were reported to be traveling along in the same vehicles as the intended targets. I can share my compilation of details with location, targets, date and photographs if requested.

quote="Grape" post="525233201"]
Would you perhaps even refer to Kurds as "mountain Turks".
[/quote]

No, and anyone who seriously refers to Kurds as Mountain Turks is a pants on retard. Although Kurdish culture in general is almost indiscernible from rural Turkish identity, there are easily discernible cultural and clear linguistic differences. However, anecdotally I can say with confidence I’d be unable to discern someone in the street with a Kurdish background from someone else identifying as Turkish unless the former decides to speak Kurmanji or Zaza, the two dominant Kurdish dialects prevalent among 20 million or so Kurds living in Turkiye.

Tias posted:

I'm pretty sure "mortal worry the Turks will genocide us like they have for the last couple of decades" constitutes a cultural difference from the turks, but what do I know

“Mortal worry the Turks will genocide us” is not really a prevalent concern. For instance, KRG in Northern Iraq is sustained through trade with Türkiye, and plenty of you would be surprised by the visibility of Turkish signs, brands, products and culture in Northern Iraq. These are adopted by the local Kurds and have become increasingly visible over the last decade. Most prominent factor behind this is common religious identity between Turks and Kurds on top of the extreme similarity between Turkish and Kurdish cultures. Arguably, in a political sense, KRG is closer to Turkish government over any government in Baghdad. As for Turkiye itself, those who self identify as Kurds are well integrated in all aspects of society. For instance, the head of MIT, the intelligence agency responsible for drone strikes and assassinations against PKK cadres in Syria and Iraq is basically a former Turkish Army intel officer with -surprise-, a Kurdish background. Istanbul actually is the most crowded city in the world with a Kurdish population. We’ve had a president with a Kurdish background. Almost half of the estimated 20 million of so Turkish citizens with Kurdish backgrounds vote for the ruling AKP and the opposing CHP, which are Turkish mainstream political parties. (Among those most vote for AKP with the exception of Kurds belonging to Alevi branch of Islam living in and around Tunceli, who traditionally vote for CHP)

I’d also point out that academic research on voter behavior I’ve read clearly indicate that the absolute majority of Turkish citizens who identify as Kurds are cultural conservatives rather than irredentists. Most Kurds are demanding to have Kurdish classes in government schools or Kurdish curriculums sanctioned by the state rather than breaking away from Turkiye or establishing an autonomous region. The current ruling party receives a big chunk of votes from culturally conservative Kurds that are almost always also religious conservatives.

Oversimplification of realities with regards to Kurdish identity in Turkiye and outright inaccurate narratives paddled around as propaganda for KCK’s political benefit is part of the reason why some outsiders really and sincerely believe some sort of apartheid regime crushes Kurds in Turkiye and ever lasting genocide is perpetrated to exterminate Kurds. While Kurds have legitimate historic grievances, especially against the military junta established in 1980 after the September 12 coup, talk of apartheid and perpetual genocide is rather bombastic and has no basis in reality.

There’s plenty of academic research on Kurdish identity and politics in Türkiye conducted by Turkish and Kurdish academics. I’d recommend outsiders to prioritize that as source of information over any other medium. Majority of said research is also translated to English and can be found on various Western academic journals. I’ll be happy to recommend specific academic articles to those who are interested.

As for myself, I’m sick and tired of this conflict and the loss of life caused by it. I believe absolute military containment and deterritorialisation of KCK/PKK will lead to it’s eventual disintegration, in a way similar to how LTTE collapsed in Sri Lanka. Alongside the eventual realization of legitimate cultural and political demands of my Kurdish compatriots, hopefully then we will have finally left all the suffering and the blood shed behind.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

almighty posted:

[...] As for myself, I’m sick and tired of this conflict and the loss of life caused by it. I believe absolute military containment and deterritorialisation of KCK/PKK will lead to it’s eventual disintegration, in a way similar to how LTTE collapsed in Sri Lanka. Alongside the eventual realization of legitimate cultural and political demands of my Kurdish compatriots, hopefully then we will have finally left all the suffering and the blood shed behind.

If you stopped deterritorialisating them and instead reterritorialisated them it would actually stop. The day you accept loosing is when it stops. Turkey winning genocidal subjugation/colonization is not an option.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

almighty posted:

No, and anyone who seriously refers to Kurds as Mountain Turks is a pants on retard.

It is pretty outdated, nobody uses it for several decades and I’ve only seen it in old texts and western commentators, agreed.

quote:

Although Kurdish culture in general is almost indiscernible from rural Turkish identity, there are easily discernible cultural and clear linguistic differences.

What do you mean? Besides seeming contradictory to me, I don’t understand how you can say Kurdish culture and rural “Turkish identity” are “almost indiscernible.” The culture and language of rural people in Çankırı is very different from culture (and to a lesser extent language) from Trabzon is very different from culture and language somewhere like Erciş.

quote:

“As for Turkiye itself, those who self identify as Kurds are well integrated in all aspects of society. For instance, the head of MIT, the intelligence agency responsible for drone strikes and assassinations against PKK cadres in Syria and Iraq is basically a former Turkish Army intel officer with -surprise-, a Kurdish background. Istanbul actually is the most crowded city in the world with a Kurdish population. We’ve had a president with a Kurdish background.

This isn’t particularly meaningful as they are only allowed to attain such a position if they do not threaten Turkish supremacy. It’s a small step in the same way Colin Powell and Barack Obama attained positions of power in the US, yet racism and white supremacy are dominant in that country.

quote:

About half of the estimated 20 million of so Turkish citizens with Kurdish backgrounds vote for the ruling AKP and the opposing CHP, which are Turkish mainstream political parties. (Among those most vote for AKP with the exception of Kurds belonging to Alevi branch of Islam living in and around Tunceli, who traditionally vote for CHP)

It’s funny you don’t mention HDP. Why are they still holding Selahattin Demirtaş? What about the democratic rights of people who voted in HDP mayors who were removed and replaced by AKP mouthpieces?

quote:

Oversimplification of realities with regards to Kurdish identity in Turkiye and outright inaccurate narratives paddled around as propaganda for KCK’s political benefit is part of the reason why some outsiders really and sincerely believe some sort of apartheid regime crushes Kurds in Turkiye and ever lasting genocide is perpetrated to exterminate Kurds. While Kurds have legitimate historic grievances, especially against the military junta established in 1980 after the September 12 coup, talk of apartheid and perpetual genocide is rather bombastic and has no basis in reality.

Yeah, tell that to the people in Cizre and Suruç.

quote:

There’s plenty of academic research on Kurdish identity and politics in Türkiye conducted by Turkish and Kurdish academics. I’d recommend outsiders to prioritize that as source of information over any other medium. Majority of said research is also translated to English and can be found on various Western academic journals. I’ll be happy to recommend specific academic articles to those who are interested.

It’s very hard to conduct serious academic research when you’re arrested and for your research, for your teaching activities, for what you say in class, and for your publicly expressed views. (e.g., https://www.science.org/content/article/turkish-academics-pay-price-speaking-out-kurds) It’s very hard for graduate students when half their faculty gets purged or leaves. Most of my Kurdish and Turkish acquaintances who did research on Kurdish people and minorities in Turkey have left to pursue their research in the US and Europe because it’s hopeless and increasingly dangerous for them to do that back home.

quote:

Alongside the eventual realization of legitimate cultural and political demands of my Kurdish compatriots, hopefully then we will have finally left all the suffering and the blood shed behind.

What distinguishes legitimate demands from ones that aren’t?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mawarannahr posted:

It is pretty outdated, nobody uses it for several decades and I’ve only seen it in old texts and western commentators, agreed.

What do you mean? Besides seeming contradictory to me, I don’t understand how you can say Kurdish culture and rural “Turkish identity” are “almost indiscernible.” The culture and language of rural people in Çankırı is very different from culture (and to a lesser extent language) from Trabzon is very different from culture and language somewhere like Erciş.

This isn’t particularly meaningful as they are only allowed to attain such a position if they do not threaten Turkish supremacy. It’s a small step in the same way Colin Powell and Barack Obama attained positions of power in the US, yet racism and white supremacy are dominant in that country.

It’s funny you don’t mention HDP. Why are they still holding Selahattin Demirtaş? What about the democratic rights of people who voted in HDP mayors who were removed and replaced by AKP mouthpieces?

Yeah, tell that to the people in Cizre and Suruç.

It’s very hard to conduct serious academic research when you’re arrested and for your research, for your teaching activities, for what you say in class, and for your publicly expressed views. (e.g., https://www.science.org/content/article/turkish-academics-pay-price-speaking-out-kurds) It’s very hard for graduate students when half their faculty gets purged or leaves. Most of my Kurdish and Turkish acquaintances who did research on Kurdish people and minorities in Turkey have left to pursue their research in the US and Europe because it’s hopeless and increasingly dangerous for them to do that back home.

What distinguishes legitimate demands from ones that aren’t?

"the chain of events often referred to as the Armenian Genocide"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hm, the head of islamic studies in my country says that AQ is running out of veterans, and may have to elect their next leader from a couple of senior operatives left in Iraq. Any thoughts?

almighty posted:

As for myself, I’m sick and tired of this conflict and the loss of life caused by it. I believe absolute military containment and deterritorialisation of KCK/PKK will lead to it’s eventual disintegration, in a way similar to how LTTE collapsed in Sri Lanka. Alongside the eventual realization of legitimate cultural and political demands of my Kurdish compatriots, hopefully then we will have finally left all the suffering and the blood shed behind.

That sure was a lot of words for "I think kurds should assimilate if they don't want to be murdered" but you do you my guy

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tias posted:

Hm, the head of islamic studies in my country says that AQ is running out of veterans, and may have to elect their next leader from a couple of senior operatives left in Iraq. Any thoughts?

I can't comment on the statement directly but the implication is that AQ has recruitment issues and I would bet that's true. The cool kids go to an IS offshoot which has much better propaganda.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh yeah, there's definitely a subtext that the young lions are seeking other orgs

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
AQ is the Facebook of terrorism to IS's Tiktok.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

almighty posted:

a pants on retard.

:decorum:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you're wondering why Erdogan suddenly made nice with MBS, this appears to be the answer.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1557326197142470662

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If you're wondering why Erdogan suddenly made nice with MBS, this appears to be the answer.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1557326197142470662

Why aren't we offering him money in exchange for being a bit less lovely? Seems like letting hims strengthen ties with these shitheads would be pretty bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Why aren't we offering him money in exchange for being a bit less lovely? Seems like letting hims strengthen ties with these shitheads would be pretty bad.

Beyond the way that bribing authoritarians tends not to work out for us in the long term, I think Erdogan's demonstrated a career-long strategy to reduce American influence on his country for almost two decades now, and getting in a bidding war to try to win him back this late in the game would be pretty strange.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Remember when Europe paid him billions so he'd stop sending/prevent migrants crossing from Turkey?

Erdogan's whole game is playing countries off against each other, and he's pretty good at it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I do wonder if Turkish voters will be disgusted seeing him going hat in hand to people he treated like enemies very recently, especially now that the motive is clear. Obviously the ultranationalists weren't his support base to begin with, but he's obviously leaned into nationalist rhetoric and militarism to maintain his popularity over the years, and having to make concessions now because Turkey's economy is bad doesn't seem super popular with Turks from what I can see on twitter at least.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

almighty posted:

No, and anyone who seriously refers to Kurds as Mountain Turks is a pants on retard. Although Kurdish culture in general is almost indiscernible from rural Turkish identity, there are easily discernible cultural and clear linguistic differences. However, anecdotally I can say with confidence I’d be unable to discern someone in the street with a Kurdish background from someone else identifying as Turkish unless the former decides to speak Kurmanji or Zaza, the two dominant Kurdish dialects prevalent among 20 million or so Kurds living in Turkiye.

Are you... are you making the super American fallacy of "hey those people look the same? how can there be racism and hate?".
Greeks and Turks look identical, Brits and the Irish look identical, so loving what. Absolutely irrelevant.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Grape posted:

Are you... are you making the super American fallacy of "hey those people look the same? how can there be racism and hate?".
Greeks and Turks look identical, Brits and the Irish look identical, so loving what. Absolutely irrelevant.

He's chauvinisticly Turkish. You're talking to someone who supports it. If he was American he'd say the trail of tears was necessary.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Grape posted:

So, here we are. I'm a native Turkish speaker who can also speak one dialect of Kurdish. I live in Turkiye. I have ethnic Kurds in my extended family. But somehow, fantastically, you think that I'm dabbling in super American fallacy of people who look the same must be the same? :wtc:
Really? :doh:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He's chauvinisticly Turkish. You're talking to someone who supports it.

What makes you think that I'm chauvinisticly (sic) Turkish? And what precisely do you think I'm supporting?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If he was American he'd say the trail of tears was necessary.

I'm not sure what PKK and counter-terrorism operations might have anything to do with trail of tears, so perhaps not assuming what I might think about a completely irrelevant aspect of history would be more productive.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Like 2/3% of Turkish liberals are exactly like this moron too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

almighty posted:

So, here we are. I'm a native Turkish speaker who can also speak one dialect of Kurdish. I live in Turkiye. I have ethnic Kurds in my extended family. But somehow, fantastically, you think that I'm dabbling in super American fallacy of people who look the same must be the same? :wtc:
Really? :doh:

Why did you bring it up lol, why did "hey you can't tell who is Turk or Kurd if they walk by on the street" seem like a zinger to you.
Do you think in Northern Ireland people gave off green or orange anime auras, so that paramilitaries knew who to shoot in an alley?
No one is impressed by the prejudice not being racial except clueless North Americans.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Another precise surgical strike on the extremely dangerous PKK by our esteemed NATO colleagues

https://twitter.com/CJTFOIR/status/1560707118562512896?t=67EwFaMu_5cbwolsVQyBwQ&s=19

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's fighting between Sadr's militia and Iranian backed militias in Baghdad today, which seems to be the result of Sadr's mentor (presumably under pressure from Iran) saying Sadr isn't true to his father's legacy and that he should support Iran. How insane would it be if the US ended up supporting Sadr to prevent Iran from taking over? He'd probably refuse our open assistance at least since it would cut against his whole Iraq for Iraqis nationalism thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some quiet intelligence support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

There's fighting between Sadr's militia and Iranian backed militias in Baghdad today, which seems to be the result of Sadr's mentor (presumably under pressure from Iran) saying Sadr isn't true to his father's legacy and that he should support Iran. How insane would it be if the US ended up supporting Sadr to prevent Iran from taking over? He'd probably refuse our open assistance at least since it would cut against his whole Iraq for Iraqis nationalism thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some quiet intelligence support.

Saw this in GiP:

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/abualienglishb1/status/1564235002388353024?s=21&t=4qW4b6q2f4d7K4HdXZleGA

Iraqi 1/6?

Granted that would rank low on the list of poo poo Iraqi’s have had to deal with.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-62719497

quote:

At least 15 people have been killed in clashes between Iraqi security forces and supporters of a powerful Shia cleric in the capital, Baghdad.

Officials say dozens more were injured after protesters loyal to Moqtada al-Sadr stormed the presidential palace.

The violence began after Mr Sadr announced his retirement from politics.

His bloc won most seats seats in parliament last October, but he has refused to negotiate with Iran-backed Shia groups to form a government.

There has been a year of political instability as a result.

Street fighting erupted overnight, as fighters exchanged gunfire and tracer rounds illuminated the night sky in some of the worst violence to hit the Iraqi capital in recent years.

Much of the fighting has been concentrated around the city's Green Zone, an area that houses government buildings and foreign embassies. Dutch embassy staff were forced to move to the German mission due to the clashes.

Security officials said some of the violence was between the Peace Brigades, a militia loyal to Mr Sadr, and members of the Iraqi military. Videos shared on social media appeared to show some fighters using heavy weaponry, including rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs).

Iran has closed its borders with Iraq amidst the fighting, and Kuwait has urged its citizens to leave the country immediately.

Medics said 15 supporters of Mr Sadr had been shot dead and about 350 other protesters injured, according to AFP news agency.

A spokesperson for UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said he was alarmed by events and called for "immediate steps to de-escalate the situation".

And Mustafa al-Kadhimi, Iraq's caretaker prime minister - and Sadr ally - has declared a nationwide curfew after unrest in several other cities.

He has suspended cabinet meetings and has pleaded with the influential cleric to intervene and stop the violence.

For now, Mr Sadr has announced a hunger strike until the violence and use of weapons by all sides stopped.

In his statement on Monday, Mr Sadr said: "I had decided not to interfere in political affairs, but I now announce my final retirement and the closure of all [Sadrist] institutions." Some religious sites linked to his movement will remain open.

Mr Sadr, 48, has been a dominant figure in Iraqi public and political life for the past two decades. His Mehdi Army emerged as one of the most powerful militias which fought US and allied Iraqi government forces in the aftermath of the invasion which toppled former ruler Saddam Hussein.

He later rebranded it as the Peace Brigades, and it remains one of the biggest militias which now form part of the Iraqi armed forces.

Mr Sadr, one of Iraq's most recognisable figures with his black turban, dark eyes and heavy set build, had championed ordinary Iraqis hit by high unemployment, continual power cuts and corruption.

He is one of a few figures who could quickly mobilise hundreds of thousands of supporters on to the streets, and draw them down again. Hundreds have been camped outside parliament since storming it twice in July and August in protest at the deadlock.

Once an Iranian ally, Mr Sadr has distanced himself from Iraq's Shia neighbour and repositioned himself as a nationalist wanting to end US and Iranian influence over Iraq's internal affairs.

I don't understand Sadr's endgame. He actually performed pretty well in the last parliamentary elections, but he didn't do anything with his votes and now is willing to throw all of that away, plunging his country further into chaos?