Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It probably has more to do with the Iberia DLC being fairly recent.

Edit: Man, I'm doing a rome restoration run for the achievement, and the pope has taken so much of central Italy. Gotta do at least 5-6 wars against him, one county at a time, to get everything I need.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

I got the "win the iberian struggle aggressively" achievement and it's only 0.7% even though essentially it's just "conquer Iberia". Man.

Also they really need to loving sort the AI out. It's been too long now where kingdoms/empires are mega unstable and I really blame the partition laws. This doesn't apply to the Byzantines who are always fine but if I start in the earliest start date the likelyhood of ANY other AI empires existing other than the byzantines by say 1200 is super mega low. I had a Francia once, I think - and even then only because I helped them out.
It feels like this started whenever it was that they fixed the "sweden/gardariki conquers the world" problem early days of the game

It’s 1360 in my 867 Bosnia game and Umayyads have most of Iberia and all of Morocco and west Africa and can field over 100k levies. They did a compromise struggle ending which resulted in the Umayyads getting an empire, and K. of Leon turning into an empire around Galicia and Asturias. But they ate Leon afterward anyway and are moving into Aquitaine.

Arabs have the entire Arabian peninsula and all of Ethiopia. Egypt is separate though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Man, I'm doing a rome restoration run for the achievement, and the pope has taken so much of central Italy. Gotta do at least 5-6 wars against him, one county at a time, to get everything I need.

I did this recently and it was honestly easier just to restart as Haestein and kill him immediately. No I’m not mad, you are.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did a joke run where I quickly fired up a cheevo-compatible custom ruler, Norse with Wrathful/Vengeful/Brave, Poet and One-eyed. Quickly learnt that having all five virtues means nothing as there is literally no piety sink at all (other than reforming away from Astaru), and that you really really shouldn't do custom dynasties as Norse.

All of the default guys have their family halfway across the north sea and ready to unlock new legacies asap, but being a custom dynasty means that all the unlocks are ages away when you're trying to do all the cool raiding and adventuring stuff. Seriously most of that fun is done within a generation, long before a new guy can spawn enough kids to sell off to kings to make renown to get legacies to aid him in all the activities he finished doing 50 years ago. D'oh.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gotta say, having only recently gotten back into this game after a while, the culture stuff is a lot of fun to play around with. Lets you have somewhat different playthroughs even within the same religion.
Finding it a lot more interesting than the artifacts system.

Now we just need more region/religion/culture based events and court stuff to make the regions feel even more distinct.

Edit: My son was born 100+ years in debt apparently

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 29, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: My son was born 100+ years in debt apparently

Pay your bills, you dumb baby!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Are you secretly a weirdo libertarian guy who insists on charging rent to his kids?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Any advice on how to get a vassal to give up a title without being a tyrant about it? Dude's got no loving secrets -- I know, I checked, my Spymaster eventually came back saying it was the most uninteresting court imaginable, and even though I've got the perk that lets Find Secrets fabricate them, she never offered to make a secret up about the actual earl, just random courtiers. So that didn't work. I fabricated a hook on him, but I'm still a tyrant if I use it to make him give me the land.

Also, taking kingdom-sized bites remains frustratingly out of reach. It turns out you can't Buy Claim on a kingdom-level title if you're already a king, and all my efforts to fabricate a hook on the Pope are ending in frustration. They inevitably get discovered, dropping the success chance to nil, and then I'm outed as the guy running it and the scheme gets forcibly ended. And I'm not at High Medieval yet, so I can't even begin to make progress on the innovation that lets me press multiple claims at once.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Any advice on how to get a vassal to give up a title without being a tyrant about it? Dude's got no loving secrets -- I know, I checked, my Spymaster eventually came back saying it was the most uninteresting court imaginable, and even though I've got the perk that lets Find Secrets fabricate them, she never offered to make a secret up about the actual earl, just random courtiers. So that didn't work. I fabricated a hook on him, but I'm still a tyrant if I use it to make him give me the land.

Also, taking kingdom-sized bites remains frustratingly out of reach. It turns out you can't Buy Claim on a kingdom-level title if you're already a king, and all my efforts to fabricate a hook on the Pope are ending in frustration. They inevitably get discovered, dropping the success chance to nil, and then I'm outed as the guy running it and the scheme gets forcibly ended. And I'm not at High Medieval yet, so I can't even begin to make progress on the innovation that lets me press multiple claims at once.

If you use your court chaplain to fabricate a claim on a vassal's title, revoking it is not tyrannical (because you have a "rightful" claim to its ownership). This only works for counties (usually, you can get duchy claims sometimes with fabrication if your court chaplain is really good, but it's unreliable). They also might still fight you for it, but they will be considered in the wrong for doing it. Fabricating a hook just means you can guarantee that they won't fight you for it; it's getting the claim on the land itself that makes it tyranny-free.

Kingdom sized bites are really a late game thing, the only way to reliably get them earlier is to breed a claim on to your heir, and the AI tends to not like to marry off claimants that way (although with tricky plotting you can marry someone lower down the line of succession, then arrange a series of "accidents" to get them bumped up the list).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 30, 2022

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I’d just take the tyranny hit. A little bit of tyranny is healthy, since it reduces over time anyway.

Re: kingdoms, the main repeatable ways are being an emperor and fabricating hooks on title claimants or taking by the sword. Or becoming greatest of the khans. By the sword is probably the most convenient method tho.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I think all tribal and clan governments get invade kingdom CB, or having the warmonger tenet in your religion let’s you invade kingdom too.

I’m assuming you’re catholic and trying to take over Italy, then I’d go for the scholarship tree and get buy claim. At least you can take duchies at that point. Better than county by county at least.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Quarrelsome is a nice shortcut to conquest CBs that cost next to nothing and don’t require claims.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m assuming you’re catholic and trying to take over Italy, then I’d go for the scholarship tree and get buy claim. At least you can take duchies at that point. Better than county by county at least.
England and Scotland, actually. I want to form Britannia.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I unlocked Primogeniture and went on a title-collecting spree... and neglected to realize I had not actually implemented Primogentiure yet. I also didn't expect to die at 45 from natural causes, but haha that's CK.

It's not the worst thing in the world, I lost Wales but they'll probably come in when I get Britannia, and my loving uncle who inherited my prized Essex holdings decided to immediately rise up in revolt, so I'll get those titles back nice and easy when his traitor rear end is in jail.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What are the rules/tendencies for culture conversion of vassals when you personally swap/reform/diverge? I'm thinking of trying out that munchkin strat of having a single-county culture, but am unsure if vassals will jump ship (and instantly swap their counties?) and ruin it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Serephina posted:

What are the rules/tendencies for culture conversion of vassals when you personally swap/reform/diverge? I'm thinking of trying out that munchkin strat of having a single-county culture, but am unsure if vassals will jump ship (and instantly swap their counties?) and ruin it.

They generally won't instantly swap their counties. Even if they switch to your culture, their county will probably remain the old culture for quite some time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is minmaxing culture that much even necessary? In my Africa game, I hit high and late medieval well before the date you're allowed to switch, and Africa doesn't exactly start with the highest development. That was with 20+ regions having my culture as well.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Is minmaxing culture that much even necessary? In my Africa game, I hit high and late medieval well before the date you're allowed to switch, and Africa doesn't exactly start with the highest development. That was with 20+ regions having my culture as well.

It speeds things up slightly, if you only have a few high development counties of your culture it doesn't require many Scholar-kings to stay ahead of the game.

The place where it becomes more release is when you are reforming a culture. As you get more counties adding/swapping Traditions becomes an extremely lengthy process.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Servetus posted:

It speeds things up slightly, if you only have a few high development counties of your culture it doesn't require many Scholar-kings to stay ahead of the game.

The place where it becomes more release is when you are reforming a culture. As you get more counties adding/swapping Traditions becomes an extremely lengthy process.

On the other hand, having just one county will lock you out of a lot of traditions that require a certain amount of county terrain/buildings to be established.
I can see the argument for swapping traditions, but I think even for the Byzantines, with Greek probably being the largest culture group in the game, it takes at most 20 years for a reform. And with the restriction of one reform every 50 years, I didn't find it much of a problem.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Broken Cog posted:

I mean no, it's hardly necessary, but it's a cute gimmick I wanted to try at least once. And since it was Norse, who have the whole "declaring war bankrupts you if feudal" problem, dropping onagers from 70 years away to 9 was kinda nice.

To answer my own question: when diverging, it only swapped my capital. If my capital wasn't the old culture (norse), it picked a seemingly random one which I suspect might have been geographically the closest one available. I also lost my longships (you son of a bitch) so I'm unsure how long the run will last once the Mann buff expires and I can no longer raid.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
To also try to answer your question, I've never seen a vassal convert a county culture outside of hybridizing, so it's probably not an issue.

Edit: Also, I tried hybridizing in my Rurik game, and it only converted the capital in my main duchy. When the AI hybridizes it converts a pretty decent sized area, is it just different rules for them?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 1, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

To answer my own question: when diverging, it only swapped my capital. If my capital wasn't the old culture (norse), it picked a seemingly random one which I suspect might have been geographically the closest one available. I also lost my longships (you son of a bitch) so I'm unsure how long the run will last once the Mann buff expires and I can no longer raid.

So you lost Longships when diverging? I never seem to lose them when hybridizing. Norse-Guanches get Longships and West African Canoes without needing to research anything.

When hybridizing I think it picks counties of your culture that are close to your Capital, unless you have no counties of your culture in which case it picks the counties of the other culture. I have to give Dublin Independence or else it gets hybridized when doing Isle of Mann runs. If I have no Norse counties though, the counties in the Canary islands get hybridized instead and I can research Camels after Onegars, before my second Hybridization. All those Camel riding mercenaries from the Isle of Mann.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Thanks for the reminder about the Canaries. I play almost exclusively norse-hybrid (usually involving the practiced pirates tradition) runs and I still somehow haven't gotten around to that one. :getin:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's a bit annoying that Buy Claim on a duchy-level title doesn't give you any of the earl-level titles associated with it; it means I can't redistritubte the title. I've learned to just buy an earldom in each duchy too; it raises the price but oh well. I miss invasions.

Also last night the Queen of Denmark sent a messenger to my court to ask me to hand over one of my knights, because he had a claim on a single earldom in her territory. I refused because he's my knight, so she sent me a very nasty letter in response. So I bought claims to her entire country, kicked her off the throne, and installed my cousin as a vassal king.

Just CK things.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PizzaProwler posted:

Thanks for the reminder about the Canaries. I play almost exclusively norse-hybrid (usually involving the practiced pirates tradition) runs and I still somehow haven't gotten around to that one. :getin:

Guanches are slow to hybridize with because of their Isolationist Tradition. Declare war on all three islands at once, conquer them and give them away to Guanches local nobles. Then stick the best Steward you can find on boosting cultural acceptance and hope you get the +10% cultural acceptance random boost from that. But you can get Mystical Ancestors this way, and it's much closer than the Akan.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Serephina posted:

I mean no, it's hardly necessary, but it's a cute gimmick I wanted to try at least once. And since it was Norse, who have the whole "declaring war bankrupts you if feudal" problem, dropping onagers from 70 years away to 9 was kinda nice.

I've been playing Mann based runs lately and I've found the most success by reforming culture for Practiced Pirates before the 100 years expires. I think this might be a DLC thing fwiw, but if you can get it it's incredibly powerful and raiding scales surprisingly well for a tribal mechanic that can otherwise only be kept alive through specific decisions, rare events, and a smattering of cultural traits. The trade-off for getting to raid forever with this trait is that raid loot drains prestige but... how much prestige are you really using as a Feudal, anyway? You still get full gains from combat so most feudal era norse toddlers will be living legends before they can shave

I'm currently fighting over Iberia in a game and any time my coffers get low (or I feel like being mean to the pope, or softening up a neighbor before a war) I'm sending out 8000 varangian veterans on a ruler in late game raid bonus artifacts, hitting development 70 fortified cities for 250 loot a click at the same rate I'd loot a city or a tribe at the start of the game. Hunting grounds scale raid progress by like 25% at level 8. Each! I think I have 12 of them in my domain right now

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 2, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Servetus posted:

Guanches are slow to hybridize with because of their Isolationist Tradition. Declare war on all three islands at once, conquer them and give them away to Guanches local nobles. Then stick the best Steward you can find on boosting cultural acceptance and hope you get the +10% cultural acceptance random boost from that. But you can get Mystical Ancestors this way, and it's much closer than the Akan.

Isn't there also a random court event where you can buy +20% or +40% acceptance for a culture within your domain? Could help

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I was informed by the game that I could form the Kingdom of Lithuania title for myself, which is a kingdom title with...5 counties.

I honestly don't know if I should give a poo poo about it since I have 3 much larger kingdoms and an empire title. Should I give this to a family member for the Dynasty bonus? If so, what's the best way to determine who gets it? Someone with an heir in my house so it stays in the family?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Create it and hold it, so that one of your second sons can inherit it (and only it)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Samadhi posted:

I was informed by the game that I could form the Kingdom of Lithuania title for myself, which is a kingdom title with...5 counties.

I honestly don't know if I should give a poo poo about it since I have 3 much larger kingdoms and an empire title. Should I give this to a family member for the Dynasty bonus? If so, what's the best way to determine who gets it? Someone with an heir in my house so it stays in the family?

I'd recommend picking as distant of a dynastic relation as you can with the best possible traits/stats you can find for an independent ruler, marrying them to one of your children, and then granting them independence. This gives way way way more renown than keeping them as vassals, and handing out kingdoms to your vassals (as an empire) is generally not a good way to maintain long term realm stability anyway. Cementing a permanent alliance with the queen/king prior to splitting them off insures that you can protect your investment in the independent ruler during the short reign phase, when the new independent kingdom is most likely to be steam rolled by a peasant revolt or an opportunistic neighbor. Once the kingdom is stable, you get a powerful ally with strong family ties and +2 (3?) renown a month for an independent king

Small kingdoms are awesome for this - they are generally unlikely to ever get a serious troop count so if they form an independent house you don't have anything to worry about. Eastern Europe is absolutely jammed full of small kingdoms that you can prop up with a family member and abandon for long term renown gains.

edit: recommend disinheriting anyone in your dynasty you grant an independent kingdom to, btw: they don't need any claims on titles in your kingdom anymore and the negligible hit to their opinion of you will be obliterated when you grant them independence. Ideally do this before granting them titles or it will cost more. Disinheriting gets really affordable really fast when you have a few independent kings.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2022

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Mirthless posted:

I'd recommend picking as distant of a dynastic relation as you can with the best possible traits/stats you can find for an independent ruler, marrying them to one of your children, and then granting them independence. This gives way way way more renown than keeping them as vassals, and handing out kingdoms to your vassals (as an empire) is generally not a good way to maintain long term realm stability anyway. Cementing a permanent alliance with the queen/king prior to splitting them off insures that you can protect your investment in the independent ruler during the short reign phase, when the new independent kingdom is most likely to be steam rolled by a peasant revolt or an opportunistic neighbor. Once the kingdom is stable, you get a powerful ally with strong family ties and +2 (3?) renown a month for an independent king

Small kingdoms are awesome for this - they are generally unlikely to ever get a serious troop count so if they form an independent house you don't have anything to worry about. Eastern Europe is absolutely jammed full of small kingdoms that you can prop up with a family member and abandon for long term renown gains.

edit: recommend disinheriting anyone in your dynasty you grant an independent kingdom to, btw: they don't need any claims on titles in your kingdom anymore and the negligible hit to their opinion of you will be obliterated when you grant them independence. Ideally do this before granting them titles or it will cost more. Disinheriting gets really affordable really fast when you have a few independent kings.

Thanks. I just reformed Astaru to have equal gender roles so should I gift it to a distant female relation and marry to a male member of the house? That way I don't have to deal with the negative acceptance of a Matrilineal marriage request?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Is there anything like Invasions from CK2? A claim/CB where I also automatically get every title under the one I'm warring for?

I feel like I've won this game, and I'm in the mood to do some celebratory map-painting. I'm also in the mood to found my own religion, if that helps, because let's be real, this dude is not human. (Also I want to allow equal inheritance so my giant, hale, beautiful, and intelligent granddaughter can inherit.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CapnAndy posted:

Is there anything like Invasions from CK2? A claim/CB where I also automatically get every title under the one I'm warring for?

The closest is "Invade Kingdom", because it gives you the title of whatever you are occupying. Unlike CK2 there is a time limit for grabbing territories after you hit 100% War Score. I don't know how long it is, but at a certain point the game will automatically press your demands.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Samadhi posted:

Thanks. I just reformed Astaru to have equal gender roles so should I gift it to a distant female relation and marry to a male member of the house? That way I don't have to deal with the negative acceptance of a Matrilineal marriage request?

You might get some better partner options but if you're matchmaking in the house as the house head and you start with unlanded characters, as long as everyone is on the same page with the new faith you can set the checkboxes however you want without it really hurting acceptance odds. I recommend marrying the characters prior to landing, marry in favor of the stronger independent ruler, and then landing them. You will have an alliance automatically from marriage once the character is given titles as long as one of the partners is close family.

Edit: hilariously you can double dip for a generation by doing this with two small kingdoms side by side; give each partner in the marriage their own independent kingdom and you will get two independent kings and then an additional two independent kings by marriage

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 2, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

The closest is "Invade Kingdom", because it gives you the title of whatever you are occupying. Unlike CK2 there is a time limit for grabbing territories after you hit 100% War Score. I don't know how long it is, but at a certain point the game will automatically press your demands.
That'll do just fine. How do I get access to that?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Its a feature of religions with pursuit of power/warmonger and certain cultural traits (quarrelsome?)

Holy wars can get a lot of clean territory too if your religion has access to them

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CapnAndy posted:

I think the CB is only available to certain faiths. I know Astaru has it, and I believe the other unreformed faiths have it . Certain Islamic faiths may also have it (like Ash'ari).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CapnAndy posted:

You need to be Clan or Tribal, or your faith to have Warmonger or Pursuit of Power. Since you're Catholic (so you don't get Clan) and already feudal, the only way is probably to include Pursuit of Power in the new faith you're planning on making (I don't THINK Christians can take Warmonger).

edit: also yeah, Quarrelsome could work, I'd forgotten that. I don't know if Quarrelsome gives access to Invasions but it definitely gives access to the Conquer County/Duchy CBs and those usually go together

edit2: the tooltip for Quarrelsome only mentions Conquest, while the tooltip for Warmonger/Pursuit mentions both Conquest and Invasion, so Quarrelsome might not be an option here.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 2, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mirthless posted:

Its a feature of religions with pursuit of power/warmonger and certain cultural traits (quarrelsome?)

Holy wars can get a lot of clean territory too if your religion has access to them
I'm not sure of the viability of holy wars since I'm currently Catholic and in Europe; I plan on beating up a lot of fellow religionists. Pursuit of power sounds great, though, I'll reform to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

So I started an ironman game as the duke of Minsk in 867 with the goal of reforming the Slavic religion and then seeing what happens. I have formed a now very expansive White Rus and have 3 holy sites but can't reform because it costs loving 4k religious points. I've read that this is due to its 100% fervor. but I literally have like 45 counties in the kingdom and the size penalty of the religion is -71% but fervor is still at 100!

Holy wars are not an option for me apparently so how do I get the fervor down? I am in probably the last decade of my ruler's life (he's 55 now but temperate and hale) and he couldnt stop loving and his wife wouldnt stop getting pregnant even into her 40s so he has like 4 sons which will be a hassle to manage after he dies with confederate partition.

I have 2k piety now but it really is like 4k piety to reform with 100% fervor. I'm trying to get this poo poo done and form the empire of Russia before this guy dies. tips?