Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

buglord posted:

How does this movie (and Get Out) compare to Us? I havent seen Us yet but upon reflection I think Get Out was the more enjoyable experience for me.

I rewatched Us after Nope and it was a lot sillier than I remember. Winston Duke's character undercuts every scene he's in with comedy, even when he's fighting for his life. And you really have to suspend disbelief, even for a movie like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

buglord posted:

How does this movie (and Get Out) compare to Us? I havent seen Us yet but upon reflection I think Get Out was the more enjoyable experience for me.

I liked Us but it’s the weakest of the three. I think the screenplay could’ve used another round of editing because it’s trying to do a lot but the movie’s worth it for Lupita Nyong’o’s performance alone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I'd put this between Get Out and Us. They're all good but Get Out is just leagues ahead and as culturally important as is it good, while Us is just a good horror movie

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The Jean jacket remix is on the soundtrack

Also this is such a badass track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp7qHb9U-A

Compare this to Holst's Jupiter, from The Planets

Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Haven't seen Us, but I thought this was a lot less outright horror and outright comedy versus Get Out; there were jokes and there were horrific things but the jokes felt less THIS IS THE FUNNY GUY DOING THE FUNNY THING and for the most part it wasn't really a "horror" movie. The closer comparison is to a movie like Jaws but probably with more social commentary and less adventure. Like Get Out it meditates on characters' trauma and loss.

Be warned though, although for the most part it isn't so much a horror movie as Get Out there is one scene I found profoundly disturbing, that really stuck with me and hosed me up for the rest of the day.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Compare this to Holst's Jupiter, from The Planets

Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

This is cool as hell

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

buglord posted:

I really love Us but the more you think about it the less it makes sense. You kinda have to take it at face value and enjoy the ride.

I’d have to watch both Nope and Us again to tell you which I think is better. Right now I’d have it as a tie.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

I really love Us but the more you think about it the less it makes sense. You kinda have to take it at face value and enjoy the ride.

I’d have to watch both Nope and Us again to tell you which I think is better. Right now I’d have it as a tie.

Yeah, Us one really works if you take it on a nightmare logic level. The underground exists, and can exist, solely as a karmic necessity. The mechanics of it are impossible, but the, but if you think of it as like a version of Hell that any sufficiently rancid empire will eventually grow beneath itself like a tumor, it works.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never thought the logic or reason behind us was important. Only the themes and characters

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just saw this today and enjoyed it a lot. Get Out was probably a little tighter of a movie, but I think I enjoyed the two about equally (still haven't seen Us). I'm a big fan of UFO lore, and this was a neat take on it. I was actually thinking in some of the earlier scenes that they were presenting OJ hiding from it like someone avoiding a predator, so that was a well set-up reveal. As someone who's a wuss about horror, I like that for all the horror elements, much like its Spielberg influences this is a movie that's just as interested in provoking awe as it is in horror. Although on the horror side the Gordy scene definitely hosed me up.

Also loved every time Daniel Kaluuya said "nope".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Us didn’t work for me at all. As someone said, the more you think about it, the more it all falls apart. It really only works on an allegory level. It did however give us Winston Duke’s thighs, and they were more than welcome.

Where did people think it was going to go as the film unfolded?

From the opening scene: the empty studio first made me think this was taking place after the events of the film, that an invasion or mass abduction had taken place, and we’d loop back around to this point again.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
I think I liked this one the best so far of Peele's movies.

Jesus loving christ that digestion tube scene was some of the most horrific sound design I've ever experienced in a film. The constant rubbery stretching and snapping noises juxtaposed with the screams of 40+ people was so unsettling. I consider myself pretty tolerant of crazy and hosed up poo poo in films, but for some reason that scene was almost too much for me to stomach:smug:.

Also I was a bit disappointed in my fellow audience members, because I was the only person that lost my poo poo laughing when the TMZ dude endo'd his motorcycle and let out that shrill scream.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I laughed at that too. gently caress that person lol

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My whole theater laughed at that. A very well placed comedic moment that somehow both undercuts and increases the tension.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Where did people think it was going to go as the film unfolded?

From the opening scene: the empty studio first made me think this was taking place after the events of the film, that an invasion or mass abduction had taken place, and we’d loop back around to this point again.

I assumed some sort of mind control by the aliens.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked this quite a bit. There's a lot going on in every shot and I'm not going to pretend to have completely understood everything it was trying to say. I am glad I braved a theater for this because there's a lot of absolutely beautiful cinematography, even as self-conscious as I felt laughing at the little jokes that no one else was. I felt like it really captured what was going on in my imagination in all those tiny offramps north of Southern California, and about what happened to the sitcom stars of my youth on less popular shows. I loved the callbacks to old westerns, blockbusters, and the shout outs to brand circling the drain right now. There was a lot here to like and I want to see it again.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
chimp tore that poor little girl's face off :barf:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

chimp tore that poor little girl's face off :barf:

Chewed her face off, actually.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

SlimGoodbody posted:

Chewed her face off, actually.

it sounded more like a yanking / pulling off very slowly noise

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

Haven't seen Us, but I thought this was a lot less outright horror and outright comedy versus Get Out; there were jokes and there were horrific things but the jokes felt less THIS IS THE FUNNY GUY DOING THE FUNNY THING and for the most part it wasn't really a "horror" movie. The closer comparison is to a movie like Jaws but probably with more social commentary and less adventure. Like Get Out it meditates on characters' trauma and loss.

Be warned though, although for the most part it isn't so much a horror movie as Get Out there is one scene I found profoundly disturbing, that really stuck with me and hosed me up for the rest of the day.

Yeah. I see a lot of Jaws comparisons which seems fair, though I felt like it also leans pretty close to Jurassic Park both in the type of "horror" and themes.

I don't handle horror movies well at all, but this is very much more about scenes that are disturbing or unsettling than jumpscares or anything. There's only one scene that I felt was genuinely "scary" and it quickly turns around into one of the funnier moments in the film because OJ loving decks a kid.

If you're looking for classic slasher vibes, this ain't it. But if you're like me and can't handle that stuff, this is much closer to wild sci-fi ride with a creepy edge to it without being outright scary.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think it's largely missing the majesty of Jurassic Park, which wants you to think about how these are beautiful and magical animals rather than a singular abominable predator that does not belong here and must be put down.

I think there are some structural similarities to Jaws too, with the Gordy sequence taking the place of Quint's monologue about the Indianapolis and the kids in the stable filling in for the night dive.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I think it's largely missing the majesty of Jurassic Park, which wants you to think about how these are beautiful and magical animals rather than a singular abominable predator that does not belong here and must be put down.

I think there are some structural similarities to Jaws too, with the Gordy sequence taking the place of Quint's monologue about the Indianapolis and the kids in the stable filling in for the night dive.

And the filmmaker coming in in the last third and joining the team, hanging out with their "Hooper" and ending up pretty much the same. And the way the alien dies by eating something and exploding. It's very structurally similar to Jaws.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think I'll have to rewatch. I felt very underwhelmed at the story and characters, but the more I think about the allegories present in the film the stronger the movie feels.

I am especially struck by the consumption allegory, and how we consume and crave mass death through our smartphones 24/7. for the last few months even my parents have become junkies of "Oprah level" Ukrainian war snuff films

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, that ties in to the idea of spectacle - our addiction to it as an audience (or viewer) and the industry's obsession with providing a spectacle; Holst and Jupiter, Em and OJ wanting their Oprah shot, Angel, even the MAD Magazines and Chris Kattans of the world.

"And I will cast abominable filth upon thee, and make thee vile, and will set thee as a spectacle"

Of course towards the end Jean Jacket literally also casts a bunch of abominable filth upon them.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Really enjoyed this one, almost don't feel like I have a lot to add but I hunger for analyses of the film. This one clicked with me much more than US did, though I do want to revisit it. Joining with everyone saying that this film really puts on display how much Peele loves film, there are so many homages to Spielberg and Hitchcock and other titans of the medium, the dude just loves movies. And yet there's an ambivalence in the film about spectacle, much in the same way that Inglourious Basterds has a sort of ambivalence about what it itself was doing.

One small thing I love is that Kaluuya definitely embodies Keith David here. He's not doing an impression, but you can definitely see in his mannerisms and vocal style an irreducible Davidism. Its great.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It just hit me that Keith David was killed by a nickel through the eye, because one of the major early venues for motion picture media was the nickelodeon. You put your eyes into one end of a dark viewing tube to see the image on the other side and put a nickel in the slot, just like the initial imagery of the movie we don't realize yet is JJ's throat. The monster is a reverse nickelodeon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Re: consumption of mass violence as spectacle, this put me in mind of all those compilation videos of the Beirut explosion, and of the idea of something being so awful you can’t look away. It feels like a suggestion that we really should, ultimately, be looking away. The videos of the Beirut explosion wouldn’t have been viral if they’d included people squashed under rubble, screaming and vomiting, because that’s too discomforting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Magic Hate Ball posted:

something being so awful you can’t look away. It feels like a suggestion that we really should, ultimately, be looking away.

Looking at things because you feel you have to and getting hurt because of it seems to be a theme.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
But they only succeed when they look at it. OJ refused to leave early and then went back after they escaped to Angel's apartment. And then they were able to get it to Jupe's by both looking at it. In the theater, I assumed Peele was saying something about trauma/grief and having to acknowledge it.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

There's a way of looking at things that takes, and there is a way of looking at things that exchanges. OJ can engage with the horses more than all the hollywood folks because he has a relationship with the horses.

Which is definitely a lesson for dealing with grief / trauma. To share your own deep pain with others isn't good or bad, but it is risky. You might trigger someone else's own memories of trauma, or your own, and cause more pain. But you can also carefully, respectfully connect over a shared understanding of pain.

OJ's motivations w/r/t Jean Jacket are a little bit about getting a picture, getting the shot, etc -- but I think he's more motivated by making sure that whatever killed his father won't hurt other people. I don't think we've talked much about how hard the scene of OJ and his dad in the truck was, at the beginning of the film.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Roctavian posted:

I don't think we've talked much about how hard the scene of OJ and his dad in the truck was, at the beginning of the film.
definitely was thinking "well, at least he's talking" until that blood squirt came out and 😬

It was bizarre for me how long it took OJ to react to his dad falling off the horse. I tend to be pretty slow reacting to things these days, but OJ was looking right at him and if I saw somebody fall off a horse like that I'd be running immediately.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My take on that is that Peele is an exacting director so if something grabs your attention, it's supposed to. I think he's showing us that OJ viewed his dad as basically invincible and couldn't comprehend him being hurt. Seeing him fall like that short circuited his brain.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Phy posted:

And poor Jupe, imagine being so traumatised that part of your coping mechanism is thinking Chris Kattan is funny

Only real 90's kids remember Mr Peepers
https://youtu.be/kK82bEEFPck

For some reason I had never realized that his career was cut short by breaking his neck during a Golden Girls sketch. adds another layer of nuance to that scene imo

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This movie was very good, but guys: can we talk about the god drat sound design? This movie looked great but sounded amazing. I don't know if I've ever been as aware of a movie's soundscape the way I was of Nope's.

Lifepuzzler posted:

I think I liked this one the best so far of Peele's movies.

Jesus loving christ that digestion tube scene was some of the most horrific sound design I've ever experienced in a film. The constant rubbery stretching and snapping noises juxtaposed with the screams of 40+ people was so unsettling. I consider myself pretty tolerant of crazy and hosed up poo poo in films, but for some reason that scene was almost too much for me to stomach:smug:.

Like this. loving hell the sound of that scene is unsettling all by itself, even without the visuals.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

War and Pieces posted:

Only real 90's kids remember Mr Peepers
https://youtu.be/kK82bEEFPck

For some reason I had never realized that his career was cut short by breaking his neck during a Golden Girls sketch. adds another layer of nuance to that scene imo

Apparently he only started talking about it recently, well after everyone stopped caring about Chris Kattan.

Also apparently the injury was during a sketch about a kid getting hurt imitating Golden Girls, playing off kids getting hurt imitating Jackass. Guess he went a little hard imitating an injury.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One subtle bit I really liked was when Em does her speech in the beginning and forgets that extra "great", you think it's just a little joke, but then later she puts on her dad's video and you hear him doing the spiel and I realized she didn't exactly forget, she just memorized his version after no doubt hearing it hundreds of times

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ConfusedUs posted:

This movie was very good, but guys: can we talk about the god drat sound design?
since watching I have found certain videos of thrill rides to be somewhat triggering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLTdt-j-ais&t=96s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Jean Jacket Experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Something else that really tickled me was after the kid's alien prank went wrong, one of them still had their voice changer on and really quickly said 'GIVEUSBACKOURPROPERTY' in a monotone robot voice as they scurried off.

I don't know why, but that line stuck with me and kept making me laugh at random points during the day.

Also, when the kids show up without their masks on for their Dad's big show, the one who got punched had a bruise on his cheek. This also elicited laughter from me.

I think it's funny how varied the opinions are about this film, because I personally thought it was Jordan Peele's best so far, but I've been seeing a lot of people say that they didn't like it and I just don't understand. I thought it was kind of a mess, with lots of ideas that don't really go anywhere, but that seems pretty par for the course with Peele. NOPE was, at least, a solid 8/10 for me, but an enjoyable one that I can forgive its shortcomings for being so unique and well-made.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 2, 2022