Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
This has been a divisive issue in Chicago. Property values go down. :qq:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/0...ity-land-trust/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WaryWarren posted:

lucky folks.

there was an amazing house for sell back when the wife i were looking near the 606. but it was ~150k out of budget, that same home today is "worth" 1.2mil, less than two years later :/

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

WaryWarren posted:

What if RV parks, but for everyone? I cannot wait to get to the point where America is like Victorian England with landowners collecting rents from paupers. Well, even more like it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

What if RV parks, but for everyone?

growing up in an RV park was legitimately great. community events, lots of grandmas, all sorts of activities (wood working, weaving, etc), pool hall, community center to hold events, shuffle board, playground, bocce, fire circle...

lol now site rent is like 2000+ lmao

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
drat, the trailer park boys would opt for life in prison in 2022.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I think bubbles might be there already iirc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the rent is too drat high!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

quote:

The national median rent hit another record in June of $1,876 per month, up 14 percent from a year ago, according to Realtor.com. Nonetheless, renters don't have to contend with soaring mortgage rates. "June's median rental rate was $561 a month less, or 30 percent lower, than the typical monthly starter homeownership costs." The gap was just $78 in January, when the average mortgage rate was 3.22 percent. Borrowing to buy a home today is about $416 a month more expensive than it was a year ago. In Austin, the cost of homeownership last month was 98 percent higher than the median rental price in the city. Buying does cost less than renting in some cities, such as Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Hey PFC, you been moonlighting at The Week?

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Jul 31, 2022

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
closed on a house yesterday, officially one more month of renting and then im loving out of here :toot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Hey PFC, you been moonlighting at The Week?

Buying is cheaper wrt monthly payment than renting here buttttttttt
A> a down payment is always a barrier, especially when you’re paying too much for rent
B> You’re buying a century old house that probably needs a lot of work

Cheap areas are cheap at the low end. Desirable homes here are just as much as anywhere else, I can walk a mile to the south and be among $600k+ houses.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Maxwells Demon posted:

My mortgage was sold to this company back in Nov 2020. They are a collection of idiots and I have no idea how to get away from them.

pay the mortgage off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maintenance of a house when you own it is more than $0 and its hard to fit it into a comparison between renting and owning. You do get the principal back when you sell later so maybe that just all equals net 0 in the end. idk.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

maintenance of a house when you own it is more than $0 and its hard to fit it into a comparison between renting and owning. You do get the principal back when you sell later so maybe that just all equals net 0 in the end. idk.

Assuming I had continued to rent the place I was renting and that my rent had never gone up in the intervening time period (lol), I have saved a hair under $60K in seven years on my mortgage versus rent. That's enough to have paid for all the projects I've done so far and have almost half left over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah but it gets tricky figuring in the big ticket items like “new roof “ and “new kitchen”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

new kitchens probably pay for themselves at sale .

roofs do not afaict

Apr 7, 2003

I put a new roof on, new siding, a new front porch in total, added central air, and I'm at $46K or so for all of that. Underestimated what I spent but it's still below the difference between rent and my mortgage.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

yeah but it gets tricky figuring in the big ticket items like “new roof “ and “new kitchen”

The landlerd has to do these too, so you're at least recapturing their profit margin.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

new kitchens probably pay for themselves at sale .

roofs do not afaict

I don't think anything pays for itself 100%

Apr 7, 2003

The "pays for itself" is the part where your house doesn't collapse from water or wind damage and your living space is pleasant to use, any sort of fake paper value increase or actual sales benefit is just nice to have if it happens.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This is fine:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

El Mero Mero posted:

This is fine:

capitalism!!!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

roofs do not afaict

depends. we just bought, previous owners two back out the wrong type of roof on the house and the plywood underneath is going. we are putting a metal roof on and will almost certainly get the money back from it.

so if it’s a “is this a visible problem?” thing you can.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my friends just bought a $600k house in June and it needs a $30k roof and I'm like, why did you buy this dumb house then

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my friends just bought a $600k house in June and it needs a $30k roof and I'm like, why did you buy this dumb house then

the owner becomes the owned

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

oh they found out their neighbors are all cops and parole officers

so extra owned

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

just borrow against the equity in their house

:)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Crusty Nutsack posted:

That's only 5% of the purchase price, not bad for the most important part of the entire house in terms of making it keep value.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Salt Fish posted:

That's only 5% of the purchase price, not bad for the most important part of the entire house in terms of making it keep value.

well the foundation, but roof is 2nd

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
FOUNDATIONS ARE FOR NOOBS!! ROOFS RULE MOTHERFUCKER

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://i.imgur.com/BSSBWgF.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is nothing. i bout a 103,500 house and within two years it needed a $30k roof

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

As for me, I just went ahead and bought a $30,000 roof in case I ever buy a house that needs one

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that cost is mostly labor at least

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

roofing is the worst job in the world

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Stockpiled my roof with a tarp.and then another roof on top. I am prepared.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I just bought 5 $6000 roofs and swap them out as needed

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

we knew going in, had the money, and got a discount on the sale.

bunch of the ones here that sold people got hosed like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it would have been better to increase the price by 3o odd k and have the sellers fix it before closing . alas

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

it would have been better to increase the price by 3o odd k and have the sellers fix it before closing . alas

probably but that can get complicated here. they don’t want to know about it because then if the sale falls through they have to put it on the disclosure. and you won’t get the house over something like a roof if you want them to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

probably but that can get complicated here. they don’t want to know about it because then if the sale falls through they have to put it on the disclosure. and you won’t get the house over something like a roof if you want them to deal with it.

Also depending on the part of the country roofing is seasonal work and even if not right now people can be booked out six months so that’s going to seriously delay a deal