Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Re: summer drinks:

Scythe posted:

PSA: it might sound like it won't work, but scotch and coconut water is a sleeper hit of the summer for me. You want a fairly aggro blended scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

re: Campari and amari

so, I get that amari is a fairly broad class of drinks. My wife picked up a bottle of Amaro d'erbe which I haven't tried yet, but in general, are they fairly similar taste-wise or do they cover a radically different spectrum? Like I've been told that generally Campari and Aperol are fairly interchangeable in cocktails, but beyond that I have no idea.

My dad's from Argentina and he drinks Fernet-branca every night but I've actually never tried it yet, I should change that ASAP

The Polish Pirate posted:

Oh poo poo that sounds great. Might whip one up tonight

hope you enjoy lmk what you think!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oh yeah I forgot we've been rocking Spaghetts for a couple weeks now and they own

crack a miller high life, take a swig, fill it back up with Campari, drop a lime wedge in :hai:

This is a Camparty. A spaghett is with Aperol

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Snow Cone Capone posted:

so, I get that amari is a fairly broad class of drinks. My wife picked up a bottle of Amaro d'erbe which I haven't tried yet, but in general, are they fairly similar taste-wise or do they cover a radically different spectrum? Like I've been told that generally Campari and Aperol are fairly interchangeable in cocktails, but beyond that I have no idea.

My dad's from Argentina and he drinks Fernet-branca every night but I've actually never tried it yet, I should change that ASAP

Amaro is a very broad class. Fernet tastes NOTHING like Campari or Aperol, and completely different from Cynar, etc. Jagermeister is an amaro if that tells you anything.

Amaro just means "bitter" in Italian, iirc. That's about where the similarities end.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

gently caress me I need to have a camparty.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah Fernet has a very licorice flavor which isn't present in Aperol and Campari. I wouldn't make an Americano with Fernet or Jaeger, but I have a ton of Amari in the more bitter vein, and that's what I sub out Campari for (Nonino, Bruto Americano, Montenegro, Cynar, etc)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is a Camparty. A spaghett is with Aperol

I'm seeing both versions called a spaghett, and the camparty is coming up as this but also some kind of bourbon campari punch?

I should try it with Aperol though!

thank you for the info! Got some taste tests to do this weekend :hellyeah:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oh yeah I forgot we've been rocking Spaghetts for a couple weeks now and they own

crack a miller high life, take a swig, fill it back up with Campari, drop a lime wedge in :hai:

Wait no it’s this. A friend introduced me to this like last month and I went through a bottle of Campari and a 30 rack of high life drinking them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm seeing both versions called a spaghett, and the camparty is coming up as this but also some kind of bourbon campari punch?

Whitemommyblogosphere will tell you all kinds of stupid poo poo that is wrong

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Snow Cone Capone posted:

thank you for the info! Got some taste tests to do this weekend :hellyeah:

Learning new stuff is always a good time. It's my favorite part.

To someone above, I don't get licorice from Fernet, but I get a ton of mint. I could be a little desensitized to that flavor, however, as I used to drink a lot of Jager and did some pretty heavy experimentation with absinthe in the past.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, the Fernet-Branca overtone for me is “toothpaste”

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, the Fernet-Branca overtone for me is “toothpaste”

Fernet n OJ is a real sleeper of a cocktail

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Fernet con coca just didn't work for me. Fernet actually has a lot of sugar in it, it's bittersweet. It amplified the insane sweetness of Coca Cola.

I use Menta Fernet in a cocktail. I tracked down the Vittone brand instead of the Branca brand to a liquor store in New York state where my cousin lives. It was so similar it really wasn't worth the effort.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Argentines maintain that their Fernet tastes different than US/Italian Fernet. Supposedly theirs isn't minty. Whether or not this is true or not I don't know.

I personally think Fernet is the worst bottle I've ever bought.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Thank you! This Spaghett nonsense has been making me feel like a crazy person.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Argentines maintain that their Fernet tastes different than US/Italian Fernet. Supposedly theirs isn't minty. Whether or not this is true or not I don't know.

Neither one is particularly minty- the aftertaste is primarily aloe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

my kinda ape posted:

I have drunk gallons of fernet both in Argentina and in the US - they are the same and delicious. I even keep it in a fancy decanter on my bar cart, next to my good scotch and good rum.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

lol i'm gonna ask my dad about this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At my usual bar that has outdoor seating I like to do a double G&T with lime juice. The real flex is to do the one from the original Dr. No novel: a small Persian lime cut in half, squeezed into the drink, and dropped in.

To drink like Bond, have at least two before dinner.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Fernet slaps.

Fernet haters, if you've got a bottle that you don't know what to do with, try a Toronto, and maybe try a Hanky Panky or a Fanciulli when it's cooler out. I prefer a few other duo shots (M&M, Maserati, etc.) to the Ferrari (it's worth trying once, though) but the Hard Start is underrated (even though it's simple as poo poo).

I like a fernet con coca also, but I want it to be half fernet, for real. Fernet also is technically bittersweet (bone dry I think it'd be undrinkable) but it's got to be one of the driest amari out there, definitely the driest I can think of.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Thank you! This Spaghett nonsense has been making me feel like a crazy person.

I ordered "a [lovely pilsner] and a shot of Campari" at a dive a year or so ago and the bartender did a double take and said "oh! you're gonna make a spaghett?" and I had no idea what he was talking about. Where did that name start?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope it is the Tim & Eric thing because that's perfectly nonsensical

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I never heard of spaghett and can’t find a good reference online. Definitely going to try it though because MHL is my summer beer of choice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's more fun to say than camparty so I'm gonna keep saying it

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's more fun to say than camparty so I'm gonna keep saying it

Drink kinda spooks me but other than that it's great

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Made my second batch of lime super juice. Did the Kevin Kos formula but did 75% of his water. Based on ~160 g peel. Very nice result. It just barely fit in my large blender. This time I'm freezing most straightaway in only jars, just will thaw the a jar to feel my squeeze bottle. The ice cube thing was a pain.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Has anyone got any suggestions for what I can do with Strega? It's the middle of winter here so it doesn't need to be refreshing, just interesting.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

cptn_dr posted:

Has anyone got any suggestions for what I can do with Strega? It's the middle of winter here so it doesn't need to be refreshing, just interesting.

This is probably a stretch but it's what I've used Strega for the most

https://kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/womans-work

1 oz strega
3/4 oz slivovitz
1/2 oz lemon juice
top with prosecco
float with 3 dashes peychaud's bitters

(the recipe says plum eau de vie but I've never had any and I find Maraska slivovitz is plenty dry)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've got half a bottle of raspberry eau de vie which might go nicely. Or it might be a disaster, but that's half the fun I suppose.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So btw I built a tiki bar in my house.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg0UPHrJAj2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who is hiding the Green Chartreuse?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Uhh that's amazing! Really well done!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Waltzing Along posted:

Who is hiding the Green Chartreuse?

Oh no don't tell me this, I just ran out the other day. I was trying to attempt the "greenya colada" but didn't have nearly enough, so I just made a little "taste test shot" version and it was amazing. Was looking forward to getting another bottle so I could try it for real.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When are the Goons coming to drink?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Aight so I made a High Life with lime and Campari and another with lemon and Aperol and while both were great I gotta give the nod to the Aperol version for pure summery taste.

I decided to name it an Aperol Schmitts after this: https://youtu.be/hCOSejS1SSY

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

obi_ant posted:

When are the Goons coming to drink?

Whenever they come!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

There is a particular wonder getting back behind the bar after more than half a decade away. We are drinking espresso martinis again? A bottle of Blantons is banker bait? One of the 20-something new kids asked me if I’d heard of PDT and now they work there? The world is full of magic (my feet hurt and our ticket times need work).

86 Hendricks. Some things never change.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

There is a particular wonder getting back behind the bar after more than half a decade away. We are drinking espresso martinis again? A bottle of Blantons is banker bait? One of the 20-something new kids asked me if I’d heard of PDT and now they work there? The world is full of magic (my feet hurt and our ticket times need work).

86 Hendricks. Some things never change.

Same. I’m not slow, it’s the set up, and the menu, and it was just bad timing, and

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Polish Pirate posted:

Aight so I made a High Life with lime and Campari and another with lemon and Aperol and while both were great I gotta give the nod to the Aperol version for pure summery taste.

I decided to name it an Aperol Schmitts after this: https://youtu.be/hCOSejS1SSY

I know it'd be worse, and this is a stupid idea, but I now need to do this as an Aperol Schlitz, just because.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

JohnCompany posted:

I know it'd be worse, and this is a stupid idea, but I now need to do this as an Aperol Schlitz, just because.

The pun alone demands it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I actually did try it with Aperol yesterday too and I agree it's a better summer drink, though on neutral ground I much prefer it with Campari

Also I tried making a Vesper yesterday and it was pretty meh. Although my palate isn't super-well developed (I can barely ever actually taste the vermouth in a martini). I made 2 of them at once and ended up dumping the 2nd one in with some tonic and a little more Lillet, which much improved it.

Lillet blanc on the rocks, on the other hand, is freakin delicious and is definitely going into my "home from work relaxation drinks" rotation.