Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ground beef doesn't belong in chili.

Personally, I'm hoping Alex Jones goes full on loving crazy tomorrow in the court room and there's a non 0 percent chance that he does so I'll be tuning in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Each day brings more coughing and hacking. I worry for some of them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Ground beef doesn't belong in chili.

Personally, I'm hoping Alex Jones goes full on loving crazy tomorrow in the court room and there's a non 0 percent chance that he does so I'll be tuning in.

He'll be his meekest, sanest self, claim he's just a put-upon entertainer also totally broke and maybe sick and why is everyone singling him out, wasn't it a free country?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't intentionally cause your own mistrial , but uh he may try.

Yeah I didn’t think so, they probably teach that in year 1 of law school, so of course maybe his lawyers think you can.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think we're working ourselves up to the idea Alex is gonna be crazy tomorrow but he likes to disappoint. Lets dial back expectations.

That way if he is crazy it'll be even better.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I can guarantee I'm going to be disgusted by every second of it especially after having the parents up there.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

catching up on the glenn greenwald "interview"

glenn truly is a pathetic weasel lmao

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I've been listening to a lot of KF and JFC.

I signed up for their Patreon but good-loving-gawd Alex Jones and his people are completely insane!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah if it was going to be a meek defense to shore up issues in his deposition, that would be one thing, but I'm kinda leaning towards the insanity presentation. They're trying to press for a whiff of negligence instead of intentional distress. It's already defaulted, but I'm told you can get out of negligence charges via bankruptcy, but intentionality isn't dischargeable. Idk it's gonna be nuts.

My memory of AJs deposition, through the lens of KF and OA, was that Alex was the "best" of the Infowars cast at representing himself and dealing with the lawyery questions and deflecting, claiming ignorance, and relying on short answers better than Owen did. OA in particular roasted the depo attorney for his approach and ineffectuality. They've had a lot of time to prepare since then, though.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It's trivially easy to get Alex to step on a conversational rake. It happened a bunch during depositions.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

finally catching up on trial footage.

thoroughly enjoying watching jones' bullshit get torn to shreds by amos from the expanse

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Froghammer posted:

It's trivially easy to get Alex to step on a conversational rake. It happened a bunch during depositions.

As true as this is, he was still very slippery and managed to successfully avoid having to answer any actual questions about anything. All that Farrar and Ball know about the case come from sources other than Alex himself.

Because he successfully dodged the discovery process, for good or ill, there is still a lot about InfoWars we don't know about. Even if what we've pieced together thus far is that it's a place who genuinely should not have had an audience of that size given their utter disregard for their own content and editorial process, some elements of InfoWars internals have been successfully hidden from us even now.

For example, our guesses as to Alex's true net worth is just an estimate at best. Even with InfoWars circling the drain as it is now, he still managed to pull at least 60 million dollars out of it in liquid value only recently. There is likely more.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
At the very least there's an award in there someplace for fitting a shaved gorilla into a suit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Plan R posted:

At the very least there's an award in there someplace for fitting a shaved gorilla into a suit.

gently caress that, I wanna see them try to shave the gorilla.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
All he did was stare at the picture of a tree. Never at Daria, no!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wit posted:

I think the DSM-I's definition of PTSD is "an imbalance of the four humours treatable with with a cocaine-opium tincture in men. And nymphomania in women treatable with witch burning."

It's the 50's, not the 20's, so they're a little bit more restrictive with the party drugs.

Having read a single paragraph while quickly trying to find the relevant part of the original DSM, the big shift in later DSMs was apparently when they recognised that enduring symptoms was a natural effect instead of a sign that it had brought up latent pre-existing problems. Thus, the DSM-I version is basically "people will be out of it for a little bit after a shocking event":

quote:

TRANSIENT SITUATIONAL PERSONALITY DISORDERS

This general classification should be restricted to reactions which are more or less transient in character and which appear to be an acute symptom response to a situation without apparent underlying personality disturbance.

The symptoms are the immediate means used by the individual in his struggle to adjust to an overwhelming situation. In the presence of good adaptive capacity, recession of symptoms generally occurs when the situational stress diminishes. Persistent failure to resolve will indicate a more severe underlying disturbance and will be classified elsewhere.

quote:

000-x81 Gross stress reaction

Under conditions of great or unusual stress, a normal personality may utilize established patterns of reaction to deal with overwhelming fear. The patterns of such reactions differ from those of neurosis or psychosis chiefly with respect to clinical history, reversibility of reaction, and its transient character. When promptly and adequately treated, the condition may clear rapidly. It is also possible that the condition may progress to one of the neurotic reactions. If the reaction persists, this term is to be regarded as a temporary diagnosis to be used only until a more definitive diagnosis is established.

This diagnosis is justified only in situations in which the individual has been exposed to severe physical demands or extreme emotional stress, such as in combat or in civilian catastrophe (fire, earthquake, explosion, etc.). In many instances this diagnosis applies to previously more or less "normal" persons who have experienced intolerable stress.
The particular stress involved will be specified as (1) combat or (2) civilian catastrophe.

From http://www.turkpsikiyatri.org/arsiv/dsm-1952.pdf .

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 2, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And honestly even that definition would arguably work here - "extreme emotional stress" caused by "a civilian catastrophe" that has "progressed to one of the neurotic conditions".

With a huge caveat about whatever the DSM-I has to say about the "neurotic conditions", which I imagine is a whole bucket of worms.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So what would happen is Alex starts ranting. It goes on for far too long and judge asks him to stop but he keeps going. Do they get guards to take him off the stand and throw him in jail for contempt of court?

If so that would be a perfect ending to this.

I’m imagining this, before they do something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9gQ9JOe3Y
(Last minute is worth it)

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 2, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think he can keep it together enough not to go full 'Devil Robot Overlords gonna kill 90% of humanity' where he's in a situation that's not gonna fly.

Look at the Q&A he did for the film.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

MAGA CHUD with mouth full of ants: Leftists eat bugs :smuggo:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tired: Horseshoe theory.
Wired: Bugspoon theory.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is ant powder a good chili ingredient?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
You use fire ants for chili, obviously

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Listening to stuff i missed, Daria says "..after I got out of the military" in her testimony on day two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkvT22EUn70&t=15524s

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Imagine the guy who posted his MANLY CHILI recipe on SA but it was full of bigotry and 00s-era edginess and he insisted women would line up to give him blowjobs after eating it, but instead of french onion powder it's ant powder.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Is ant powder a good chili ingredient?

Only if you soak them in water overnight to turn them gay.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI the Connecticut trial is going to be starting as well, they're doing jury selection today.

https://twitter.com/Middletownpress/status/1554401666023038976

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

wit posted:

Only if you soak them in water overnight to turn them gay.

Wait, ants are a subspecies of frog?

it all makes sense now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Piell posted:

FYI the Connecticut trial is going to be starting as well, they're doing jury selection today.

This'll be interesting. Probably not as many outright dumb chuds to screen out of the pool, but CT has a ton of right wingers who seem totally normal for hours before they throw out "They call it monkeypox because it came from black people." and you just wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Grand Fromage posted:

Someone will link it but if you just search Travis county court livestream on youtube it's the first thing that'll pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF_rPoUGrNEGiqEtiAPTLEg

Here's a link to the channel for anyone who loves to F5 like me. The new livestream should appear on this page a minute or two before 10am eastern

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

I think he can keep it together enough not to go full 'Devil Robot Overlords gonna kill 90% of humanity' where he's in a situation that's not gonna fly.

Look at the Q&A he did for the film.

Glenn Greenwald was not, to put it mildly, an antagonistic interviewer.

Bill and Mark aren't being paid to promote his film. They're being paid to make Alex look like an uncaring monster. Different dynamic.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I completely forgot about this loving sideshow yesterday, and now I find out the big beefy pressure cooker of a human being is going to take the stand? el oh loving el.

I've seen lawyers say "permission to treat the witness as hostile, your honor" in media before; does this really ever happen and if it does what's the over/under on how fast it happens?

Personally I'm hoping the judge just spits in his face before the day is over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Piell posted:

I just pulled up the docket before I came here to see this post.

The judge, after receiving the notice of bankruptcy for Free Speech Systems, issued an order noting that Alex Jones himself is not in bankruptcy and thus jury selection will begin today as planned. Additionally, they'll hear the motion to strike the cross complaint and will likely officially disregard with Jones' LLCs officially.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 2, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also FYI for those who haven't been watching before but are going to tune in because Alex Jones is going to be a witness - there are two witnesses before him, Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, who are parents of one of the children who was killed at Sandy Hook. If you don't feel up for watching that, I'd suggest either following a livetweet thread or just this thread until Alex comes on, which will probably be this afternoon, maybe late in the morning.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 2, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It does not appear that the CT hearings will be publicly streamed. :smith:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just pulled up the docket before I came here to see this post.

The judge, after receiving the notice of bankruptcy for Free Speech Systems, issued an order noting that Alex Jones himself is not in bankruptcy and thus jury selection will begin today as planned. Additionally, they'll hear the motion to strike the cross complaint and will likely officially disregard with Jones' LLCs officially.

what was the cross complaint? who all exactly sued whom in CT?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stefan Prodan posted:

what was the cross complaint? who all exactly sued whom in CT?

Jones sued Free Speech Systems, LLC saying that FSS promised to indemnify him for any liability for defamation as an attempt to shirk liability. The CT judge is not buying it, from the looks of things. The docket is gone, though, because jury selection has begun.

They're not actually starting voir dire yet as they have hearings to dispense with. I'm sure someone must be livetweeting, but I don't know who. The actual jury selection starts at 10.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jones sued Free Speech Systems, LLC saying that FSS promised to indemnify him for any liability for defamation as an attempt to shirk liability. The CT judge is not buying it, from the looks of things. The docket is gone, though, because jury selection has begun.

They're not actually starting voir dire yet as they have hearings to dispense with. I'm sure someone must be livetweeting, but I don't know who. The actual jury selection starts at 10.

lol yea that's pretty funny when FSS is just him in a wig right

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Did Jones also default to a guilty verdict in CT or is that case still to be decided?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Did Jones also default to a guilty verdict in CT or is that case still to be decided?

I think Mr. Nice said earlier in the thread he also defaulted there