Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol yea that's pretty funny when FSS is just him in a wig right

Yup.

BigglesSWE posted:

Did Jones also default to a guilty verdict in CT or is that case still to be decided?

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think Mr. Nice said earlier in the thread he also defaulted there

I did, indeed, because he was defaulted in both cases due to excessive abuse of the discovery process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Who's suing him in CT?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

BigglesSWE posted:

Did Jones also default to a guilty verdict in CT or is that case still to be decided?
He also defaulted there, and iirc the case in CT is way, way more focused on Jones' profit motive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Who's suing him in CT?

Other parents. Erica Lafferty and William Sherlach.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol yea that's pretty funny when FSS is just him in a wig right

I will never forget one of the depositions that Knowledge Fight covered where Mark Bankston was interrogating one of their lawyers about the layers of corporate bullshit they were trying to put up. The lawyer mentioned some shell company that was named "AEJ" and tried to act like it was this unknowable entity that Alex had no control over... only for Mark to just calmly ask him what Alex Jones's middle name was, betting that it probably starts with an E. (Spoilers: His full name is Alex Emerick Jones.)

That is the level of guile that we are dealing with here.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Can someone link me up to the stream if its started?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This guy is in the CT courtroom.

https://twitter.com/FrankieGCT/status/1554465480919883776

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Generic American posted:

(Spoilers: His full name is Alex Emerick Jones.)

NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS I SEE ALL THIS LOVE, THIS GAY FROG LOVING, BLOOMING ALL OVER THE BATTLEFIELD OF OUR AMERICAN SOULS, AND THE GLOBALISTS CLAIM THEY AREN'T PUTTING ANYTHING IN MY CHILI BUT (death rattle but it's just a long drawn-out chili shart)

wit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oidaP0MM6dE

E: hah vvv

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

wit posted:

Started a couple minutes ago:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

neato burrito posted:

I completely forgot about this loving sideshow yesterday, and now I find out the big beefy pressure cooker of a human being is going to take the stand? el oh loving el.

I've seen lawyers say "permission to treat the witness as hostile, your honor" in media before; does this really ever happen and if it does what's the over/under on how fast it happens?

Personally I'm hoping the judge just spits in his face before the day is over.

Hostile witness just means adverse to your interests, which is automatically anyone the other side calls. Asking to treat someone as hostile occurs in the rare instance a "friendly" witness isn't. A common example of this are reluctant domestic violence victims.

The main difference is that you're allowed to ask leading questions. Questions for friendly witnesses must be open ended: "What happened after your wife spilt the soup?" versus the leading "and then you hit her, right?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just like how he should have been able to put up a better legal defense if he wasn’t a stupid rear end in a top hat, Jones should have been able to get away with hiding all the money and important assets behind a weird corporate structure like that, he can afford to pay people to set that up for him, but instead he did it stupidly and badly.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Alex Jones looking really smug playing a shell game with only one shell.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As mentioned yesterday, this will be a tough day. Don’t be afraid to take a breather and cry or yell or yell into the thread, just nothing that will have me talking to any cops of any country.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cosigning Teen Witch.

Mr. Heslin's testimony is already brutal, I doubt it'll get less intense this morning

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a good legal strategy to allowing a default judgement instead of actually trying to avoid it?

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the link goons, you're doing god's work. I'm guessing his lawyers either chained him to the floor to stop him "helping" or he'll be standing outside with a bullhorn protesting his own trial. Or you know, he knows exactly what he's doing and is keeping a low profile.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a good legal strategy to allowing a default judgement instead of actually trying to avoid it?

No, I don't think so? To my understanding it means that the jury is to assume you are guilty on every count, and the defense is no longer allowed to present anything indicating innocence, only attempt to limit the scale of guilt

Maybe if the evidence you are refusing to produce would contain evidence of other, unrelated crimes to the ones that the discovery is for? Like if your crooked books during an embezzlement case included line items for murder-for-hire or something. Beyond that I don't think there are any advantages.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Azuth0667 posted:

If for some reason Discovery is so bad for you that it's better to refuse to participate and get defaulted, I could see it

Edit: Usually you would be settling, but these are weird circumstances

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Is that rancid steamed ham going to be in the courtroom with those parents testifying?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If you're judgment proof because you have no assets, you might default because it will simply cost less to not do anything when the result is going to be the same

Also maybe the suit might be so small that you think the winner won't bother to track down your assets if they're at all a pain in the rear end to get to

those are the examples my civil procedure textbook gave anyway, I have no idea how often they would occur in the real world

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Doesn't look like it. He isn't there now. And Neil already called him a Coward for not being there.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Azuth0667 posted:

I kind of assumed that they knew the default was coming and just let it happen in order to avoid providing damaging documents about finances or internal policies. Imagine if Alex Jones was using company funds to pay hush money to a mistress or something similar like there being payouts for sexual harassment. If they hadn't somehow produced documents that were not asked for during discovery (along with stuff they couldn't identify the origin of to this day) it would almost be a reasonable conclusion. The fact that he's potentially suing his lawyers for providing inadequate services indicates it was incompetence more than anything that got him here. I would accept that some documents were held back due to there being more damaging information on them than what has come out already, but I don't think this was some sort of master stroke move on his part.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Devor posted:

If for some reason Discovery is so bad for you that it's better to refuse to participate and get defaulted, I could see it

Yeah, if FSS hypothetically had a bunch of evidence of way worse crimes that they though they could suppress by not willing participating in discovery and getting a default, maybe. In that case, settling would be the correct response in 99.9% of situations. I guess there could be some situation where they didn't want information to get out and were willing to roll the dice that a default judgment against them and subsequent damages would still be less than a settlement.

I don't think any of that calculus is present in this case though. Alex Jones is just a baby-man who has thrown multiple tantrums and thinks he's smarter than everyone else and will win with his shell games.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

There are options besides receiving a default ruling instead of just constantly fumbling.

quote:

On Friday, an attorney representing ShotSpotter, a gunshot-detection technology company, made the unusual request that a judge in a criminal case hold the company in contempt of court to prevent ShotSpotter from being compelled to release documents about how it assesses gunshot alerts.

https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics/shotspotter-held-in-contempt-of-court/

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

There are options besides receiving a default ruling instead of just constantly fumbling.

https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics/shotspotter-held-in-contempt-of-court/

That's a different situation though, they aren't the defendant, that's a criminal case where they're being asked to turn over evidence

the thing about asking to be held in contempt in a civil trial instead of turn over evidence actually did happen in at least one very important case that originated the work product doctrine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickman_v._Taylor

but no legitimate issues are going on here like that I don't think

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 2, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/status/1554470189567442944?s=20&t=NwpIRFZTawF6rNaDHyHK9w

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I guess that's a reasonable decision if their product works on a system protected by trade secrets rather than patents.

Or they know their product is utter bollocks and they have no way to explain how it could function that would stand up to 5 minutes of study by an intelligent person.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Oh man KF brings up a good point today: what will Alex Jones answering questions from the jury look like? :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Via video so they can pull the plug if he starts winding up?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

loving chickenshit piece of garbage.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

LOL, the call out of him being a coward was so on the money earlier.

drat, I wish any of my clients could pretend to have medical issues so they could avoid testifying in person and having a jury watch them sweat.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh man KF brings up a good point today: what will Alex Jones answering questions from the jury look like? :allears:

I hope that one juror asks the lizardmen question again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wondering why he is choosing to use video instead of being in person.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

:haibrower: Its this. For whatever reason AJ is completely terrified of discovery. Normally a corporation would settle, but a - don't know if the Sandy Hook parents are inclined to settle at any price and b - settling damages the overall AJ gay-frog narrative. Plus AJ is obviously deranged-greedy, so paying out anymoney is anathema to him.

Instead he's going to hire the cheapest lawyers possible who will play along with his utterly dumb bullshit, and probably go full conspiracy theory in his testimony today, and keep trying to run out the clock on legal theatrics while framing all of this to his followers as evidence of the globalist conspiracy in general and against him specifically.

and quite frankly, it would have worked if AJ weren't quite so stupid & cheap.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrower: Its this. For whatever reason AJ is completely terrified of discovery. Normally a corporation would settle, but a - don't know if the Sandy Hook parents are inclined to settle at any price and b - settling damages the overall AJ gay-frog narrative. Plus AJ is obviously deranged-greedy, so paying out anymoney is anathema to him.

Instead he's going to hire the cheapest lawyers possible who will play along with his utterly dumb bullshit, and probably go full conspiracy theory in his testimony today, and keep trying to run out the clock on legal theatrics while framing all of this to his followers as evidence of the globalist conspiracy in general and against him specifically.

and quite frankly, it would have worked if AJ weren't quite so stupid & cheap.

they tried to settle and the families turned them down every time

to be fair they were really lowball offers though so I mean they might have taken a few million or something I dunno

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/30/sandy-hook-newtown-alex-jones-infowars

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Hollismason posted:

Wondering why he is choosing to use video instead of being in person.
Because he's too much of a bitch-rear end to look the people suing him in the face

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

goatface posted:

Via video so they can pull the plug if he starts winding up?

Considering how long he's been on air and still can't make his phones work, I see a random tech issue happening so suddenly he can't testify and five minutes later he's on air.

Also I can't hear this guy at all, but the bits I do hear I'm probably better off.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, Mr. Heslin seems rather soft spoken and this is him speaking off the cuff, plus crappy audio as a whole throughout. It might be for the best.

Poor guy looks just…done. He’s lived a hell I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. It’s just something I cannot fathom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lawlicaust posted:

LOL, the call out of him being a coward was so on the money earlier.

drat, I wish any of my clients could pretend to have medical issues so they could avoid testifying in person and having a jury watch them sweat.

So the odds are very low, but there's a non-zero chance he'll try to skype into the trial while still hosting his show.