Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Guy Axlerod posted:

It's not really a server if it doesn't have a Tolkien name.

My network still has an ISENGARD and BARADDUR listed in the server records in the AD DNS. God drat I cannot wait to dumpster that entire domain and move to AAD forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I have a client with a really overdone naming convention that keeps spitting out servers that start off with ‘oval office’ and it will never stop cracking me up

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

i am a moron posted:

I have a client with a really overdone naming convention that keeps spitting out servers that start off with ‘oval office’ and it will never stop cracking me up

Australia has computers?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Australia has computers?

Sure, they put spiders in a box.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Wibla posted:

Sure, they put spiders in a box.

Does that make them 8bit computers?

*ducks rotten tomatoes*

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TWBalls posted:

Does that make them 8bit computers?

*ducks rotten tomatoes*

Nah, but they have the market cornered in SaaS offerings, both Spiders as a Service, and Services accomplished amidst Spiders. The competition doesn't have a leg to stand on!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought all the SaaS offerings were right outside Vegas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the best thing about enterprise java apps is watching the logs and just being :stonk:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sirotan posted:

We had a device naming convention that started with the acronym for the department that owned the device. This allowed us to quickly determine which support group was responsible for it just from the name. Worked great and saved a lot of time.

As of last month the official policy is that all device names are to be (e.g.) "N-[serial]" and to figure out who the gently caress owns the thing we have to rely on our 100% manual input 0% automated inventory system. We've got, like, 9k end user devices. This also broke several scripts that were dependent on device name to allocate devices into groups for certain load balancing tasks and permissions management. I only learned about the naming change once those scripts started breaking, because nobody actually announced this change until a month after it was made official. Why yes I'm still incredibly mad about it.

If you work for someone named Ron, I will feel disproportionately vindicated.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Australia has computers?

Yes, but our keyboards are upside down

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If you work for someone named Ron, I will feel disproportionately vindicated.

Luckily (?) no Ron's here.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Guy Axlerod posted:

It's not really a server if it doesn't have a Tolkien name.

That nerd poo poo is embarassing

*proceeds to name all the demo users in our test PBX poo poo like "ianthe tridentarius"*

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Luckily (?) no Ron's here.

That's good for you anyway. At Umich in the late 90s, I had a boss who decided one day that our naming scheme based on beers was not good enough and we needed something new. I don't think we had even a dozen servers all told back then, but he was convinced this was a problem and not taking pushback. The sysadmin culture in place at the time was, "we are well below market pay, everyone knows it, and so we're allowed to be idiosyncratic." The meeting culminated at

Boss: "It's just... There's such a thing as looking professional."
SA: "And there's such a thing as being a loving idiot."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So after my disastrous proposal that I take charge of helpdesk because they are loving awful and not following processes, and after the owner and operations director informing me that everything is fine, I decided to cut tie with babysitting service desk. I'm focused entirely on my onboarding clients and developing processes for my department. They can sink or swim on their own if that's how they want it.

Literally a week after I stopped hand-holding them the customer I am STILL ONBOARDING is being placed in a Service Improvement Plan because both help desk and the project team are basically ignoring them and they're rethinking their decision to hire us.

Unreal.

The operations manager is having me join him on a meeting with the client to smooth things over and develop our SIP. No one on service desk. No on on projects.

Me.

The person they told to gently caress off when it comes to managing helpdesk.

Gonna submit twice as many job applications today :rolleyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They are taking the piss, they only want your involvement when there's poo poo to clean up

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Basically. I'm giving them bare minimum. Camera is off, mic is off. I'll attend cause that means I can charge the company 2 hours of admin time and gently caress off the rest of the day.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Sounds exactly why I changed roles at my current company. Gave me gently caress all for day to day work or even acknowledged my SME status, but when poo poo hits the fan, my name is the one on everybody's lips to fix it.

Then after the crisis is over I am once again sidelined and my boss was hard pressed to think i know anything

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you can convince them to pay you a retainer to be the poo poo-fixer and do nothing else for your time that'd be pretty sweet though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

That's the dream and it's honestly what I excel at. Show me an absolute poo poo-show, whether it's a one -off or a business as a whole and I can have it fixed up and whipped into shape in no time.

Maybe I should just freelance as a consultant :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Larches Industries: Professional Fan Cleaning.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Larches' Professional Cleaning: What We Do Is Not Your Concern.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

larchesdanrew posted:

So after my disastrous proposal that I take charge of helpdesk because they are loving awful and not following processes, and after the owner and operations director informing me that everything is fine, I decided to cut tie with babysitting service desk. I'm focused entirely on my onboarding clients and developing processes for my department. They can sink or swim on their own if that's how they want it.

Literally a week after I stopped hand-holding them the customer I am STILL ONBOARDING is being placed in a Service Improvement Plan because both help desk and the project team are basically ignoring them and they're rethinking their decision to hire us.

Unreal.

The operations manager is having me join him on a meeting with the client to smooth things over and develop our SIP. No one on service desk. No on on projects.

Me.

The person they told to gently caress off when it comes to managing helpdesk.

Gonna submit twice as many job applications today :rolleyes:

What the actual gently caress?
That's just... are they blind AND stupid?

Arquinsiel posted:

I loving love that. It says so much for those that get it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Darchangel posted:

I loving love that. It says so much for those that get it.

I guess I'll ask for what this is a reference to then. I assume it's something along the same lines as the "$5 to kick the machine, $95 to know where to kick the machine" story

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Data Graham posted:

I guess I'll ask for what this is a reference to then. I assume it's something along the same lines as the "$5 to kick the machine, $95 to know where to kick the machine" story
The machine is yourself, as you will soon realise. What might get on a fan that would result in it needing to be cleaned? Possibly at high velocity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ha. OK lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arquinsiel posted:

:hmmno:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Larches' Professional Cleaning: What We Do Is Not Your Concern.

:hmmyes:

Arquinsiel posted:

The machine is yourself, as you will soon realise. What might get on a fan that would result in it needing to be cleaned? Possibly at high velocity.

I would honestly assume that it's less the fan that needs to be cleaned as it is everything around the fan in the splash zone.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

larchesdanrew posted:

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for you and the customer you're onboarding to ask some difficult questions of the operations manager.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Volmarias posted:

I would honestly assume that it's less the fan that needs to be cleaned as it is everything around the fan in the splash zone.
That's just business process stuff. The "fan" in this metaphor is the IT infrastructure and the IT processes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Completely irrelevant to anything else, but I just discovered that the outlook mobile app has pride themes

you know, if you want your email to be pink and blue or something

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO LARCHES

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Completely irrelevant to anything else, but I just discovered that the outlook mobile app has pride themes

Been rocking the pink and blue for years and I'm gonna be real sad when they get rid of it

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

you know, if you want your email to be pink and blue or something

I had no idea this existed. Rocking the lesbian theme thanks.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

theparag0n posted:

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for you and the customer you're onboarding to ask some difficult questions of the operations manager.

It may not be the right call in this situation (that's for larches to decide) but I've certainly showed up to customer meetings and (semi-)politely laid into my company alongside them.

I've also eventually used my reputation for doing this to get out of clusterfucks I don't want to be involved in by pointing out that I won't be toeing a bad company line in front of the customer and they will end up fielding questions they don't want to answer if I'm there.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
- User expenses Windows Home laptop because it was $100 cheaper
- User can't use their work account to log in
- Me, working for an MSP that charges $200/hr 1hr minimum to fix their poo poo 😑

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

oh memories of small business consulting and selling windows pro licenses + labor for a reload hand over fist because someone wanted to save $200 on a desktop

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It got better.

The person who used the laptop before the current user forgot their password, which was required to be entered to do the Pro upgrade. So I had to reset the system, set up a temporary account, do the Pro upgrade, join Azure and switch over to the user account, then set up their software all over again, all while on the clock.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A text message from a client comes in.

"Our email isn't working at all, did you not get our email?"

I tell them, no, I didn't get their email if their email isn't working.

"Oh, that makes sense, what do you think the problem is?"

I ask them what error they are seeing or if they can explain the problem.

"We sent you screenshots"

I inform them they haven't come through the text yet.

"We emailed them, did you not get them?"

:bang:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

larchesdanrew posted:

That's reminiscent of when a director publicly demanded that we give 24 hour notice of unplanned service outages.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

larchesdanrew posted:

That's a classic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a term for software that people are using but IT has no knowledge or documentation of?