Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah you right, I assumed it wasn't glued in. I'm a comfortable computer toucher but replacing MacBook pro batteries was a pain. This looks equally annoying but this kind of tinkering is a therapeutic for me tbh.

Regardless I wouldn't modify my behaviour too much and baby it. Seems most people aren't exactly doing multiple full discharge recharge cycles daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

forest spirit posted:

Seems most people aren't exactly doing multiple full discharge recharge cycles daily

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Trip report using a cheap usb c to hdmi adapter I had laying around. Plugged it up to my deck, connected my 8bitdo controller via Bluetooth and was playing Mass Effect on my old 1080 tv. I had to switch the controller template a couple of times before it stopped forcing kb and mouse control, after that it worked great.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

there should be a thread poll on how much use anyone's deck gets, because I either hear people love them for planes or they don't touch them after the initial setup and new toy factor

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

forest spirit posted:

there should be a thread poll on how much use anyone's deck gets, because I either hear people love them for planes or they don't touch them after the initial setup and new toy factor

it's the only way i play games op

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m really surprised they didn’t work harder to make the battery more replaceable. An easily swappable battery would go so far to make the system long lasting for people.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Should have made the batteries hot swappable so you could be a real technomancer and have a spare in your hidden jacket pocket

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was surprised that it’s not glued to the back case. Not sure why that wasn’t an option?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Question Time posted:

I keep trying to get back into Terraria/Stardew Valley/Crosscode/ similar good-for-deck games I enjoyed years ago but never beat, but I just end up lost. I think I need to start over instead of trying to pick up 5+ year old save files.

OMG no. Terraria and Stardew have both changed hugely in the last few years. Start over.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

forest spirit posted:

They are insane. I basically play everything while laying down on a coach with god's two perfect consoles: the Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck. My home computer is basically a headless server for Steam Link gaming now that I got the Deck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

forest spirit posted:

I turn it on frequently to keep all the games I don't play up to date, thank you :colbert:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

ShaneB posted:

it's the only way i play games op

actually genius, valve has made corporeal and exploited the tractor beam of endless videogame modding. I can't wait for mine

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

HopperUK posted:

OMG no. Terraria and Stardew have both changed hugely in the last few years. Start over.

And for Terraria at least start in tmodloader with some QoL mods

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Every time I start either I get so overwhelmed I don't know what I'm doing and I give up

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Every time I start either I get so overwhelmed I don't know what I'm doing and I give up

Stardew - relax. Plant your parsnips. Follow the little quests given to you. It's fine. You cannot fail in a way that matters. Potter around the town. Make a little farm. It's all right.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't like time sensitive missions because I'm that guy who is told "average time to beat this game is 20 hours and you can beeline the story in 10" and I spend 60 hours instead

Same reason why I didn't like majoras mask or atelier or lightning returns because having a timer on completing a segment makes me neurotic

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For stardew, it has a similar thing with Harvest Moon where your grandpa's ghost comes back and gives you 1-4 thumbs up or whatever. But it's pretty much meaningless, if you get 4 stars then you get a special statue that gives free iridium ore but that's literally it. You can keep playing indefinitely regardless of the score.

But I vividly remembered when I played Harvest Moon 64 just loving around and not taking it seriously, I got judged at the end of the game and it was like "your farm sucks, you didn't make enough money, and everyone in town hates you. game over" and it loving sucked.

But at least in Stardew it wasn't really too hard to get the 4 thumbs up ending so I just pushed for it for my first playthrough.

But the constant pressure to move as fast as possible is my biggest complaint, definitely makes it less relaxing to me. It's not so bad since I finished the game but it's definitely there. I wish someone would make a game where you just get some number of actions you can complete throughout the day and it's not timed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I understand hating timers but Stardew is so chill that like - it's not a real thing. There's no consequence. You can get your farm re-evaluated by grandpa later on. There are also mods to change the passage of time and such if that's really stopping you but honestly, as someone who can't *stand* ticking clocks, I find Stardew deeply relaxing. I'm sorry it doesn't work for some folk though that sucks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Deck arrived. It feels nice. It’s installing a biggish update. How do I get all the emulation running asap so I can never play with it again?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I understand hating timers but Stardew is so chill that like - it's not a real thing. There's no consequence. You can get your farm re-evaluated by grandpa later on. There are also mods to change the passage of time and such if that's really stopping you but honestly, as someone who can't *stand* ticking clocks, I find Stardew deeply relaxing. I'm sorry it doesn't work for some folk though that sucks.

It's the daily timer that bothered me most. Made me feel like I had to scramble and prioritize to get what I wanted done, which wasn't that relaxing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinook posted:

Deck arrived. It feels nice. It’s installing a biggish update. How do I get all the emulation running asap so I can never play with it again?

https://www.emudeck.com/

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sweet. Thanks

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

forest spirit posted:

I have some games installed on mine that i really do mean to play but this thing has been a binding of isaac machine for me. it's the default, what i play when i want to play something, and i'm putting probably 2-4 hours a day in it.

Chinook posted:

Do this: https://www.emudeck.com/

Some systems need a BIOS in /home/deck/Emulation/bios, put your roms in /home/deck/Emulation/roms/ in the subfolder for the system, and you're gold. Run the SteamRomManager desktop icon that gets placed, tap "Preview" on the top left, tap "Generate App List" then "Save App List" and you can go back to gaming mode with art for everything all set up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's the daily timer that bothered me most. Made me feel like I had to scramble and prioritize to get what I wanted done, which wasn't that relaxing.

Aw I understand the feeling for sure. I don't find it too onerous just because I'll do the Other Thing tomorrow. I was having terrible anxiety back when the game first came out and it really helped.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Dinkum is a great Stardew/Animal Crossing hybrid that would probably be a joy to play on the Deck.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I just unboxed, plugged into power, and booted my new 512, and it went through the language and time zone choices, and then displayed a progress bar as it downloaded the OS or an update.
The Steam OS I was expecting never appeared and instead it showed a sideways text menu that had SteamOS as the first option. Choosing this option just displays an error messages about bash or some poo poo. Every option in the menu fails. Every restart sends me to the same place. This Deck was new out of the box today

I think I used up my free time today getting this far, so I hoped you guys would have a suggestion until I can start a dialogue with valve tomorrow. Sorry for the phone pics formatting, I'm sure they are properly huge.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 2, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Rossman Repair Group are repairing a steam deck that doesn't charge. Interesting to watch if you wanna see how all that is done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2qCj6howEE

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not seeing any pics OP

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

by the by, I'm planning on getting a USB-C pcie card, is there a way to connect the switch to the windows PC to transfer stuff that way?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

I just unboxed, plugged into power, and booted my new 512, and it went through the language and time zone choices, and then displayed a progress bar as it downloaded the OS or an update.
The Steam OS I was expecting never appeared and instead it showed a sideways text menu that had SteamOS as the first option. Choosing this option just displays an error messages about bash or some poo poo. Every option in the menu fails. Every restart sends me to the same place. This Deck was new out of the box today

I think I used up my free time today getting this far, so I hoped you guys would have a suggestion until I can start a dialogue with valve tomorrow. Sorry for the phone pics formatting, I'm sure they are properly huge.

That's the bootloader. On a regular Linux box, you would boot by hitting Enter, or you get to the prompt in your second screenshot by hitting "c".

It should be configured to just auto-boot into Steam after a brief pause. Your first screenshot cuts off the bottom of the screen--was there any text down there?

(I don't have a Deck, but I've been dealing with GRUB for years)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The user is never supposed to see that boot loader in normal circumstance. Something is wrong.

Copper Vein posted:

First thing to get out of the way: Are you pressing the power button and only the power button? The user normally only sees that boot loader when powering on the system while holding the "volume down" button. Make sure that button isn't stuck down or anything. Do a full power down (hold down the power button for a while) and then power it back on while making sure no other buttons are depressed.

If that doesn't work, then you may somehow have a corrupt OS install out of the factory (or it somehow corrupted itself during the update). You can try following these instructions here to essentially reinstall SteamOS on the deck: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 3, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's the bootloader. On a regular Linux box, you would boot by hitting Enter, or you get to the prompt in your second screenshot by hitting "c".

It should be configured to just auto-boot into Steam after a brief pause. Your first screenshot cuts off the bottom of the screen--was there any text down there?

(I don't have a Deck, but I've been dealing with GRUB for years)
It's weird though, the Deck comes with a pretty nice graphical grub config but that's just, straight rear end stock text mode grub. Seems like something hosed up in the update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Pkv4tr8Ho

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Is there a way to factory reset this thing and have it fetch another update? Or do I have to find a way to connect a USB stick to it and provide the software to it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

Is there a way to factory reset this thing and have it fetch another update? Or do I have to find a way to connect a USB stick to it and provide the software to it?

There is an in-OS factory reset, but that relies on a functioning OS to begin with. If you can't even boot, then you'll have to go through the process in the link I provided in my previous post.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Wait, can you stream games from your main PC on the Deck? I was not that interested in buying one of these, since I just upgraded my main PC a few months ago. Can I play Elden ring, for example, streaming from my main PC with a higher quality than if it were installed natively?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

forest spirit posted:

The funny thing is I've been playing no mans sky on it nearly exclusively because the load times are better than my pc's

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use the Deck exclusively, partially because of a recent move but also because it's just plain better and funner

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Wait, can you stream games from your main PC on the Deck? I was not that interested in buying one of these, since I just upgraded my main PC a few months ago. Can I play Elden ring, for example, streaming from my main PC with a higher quality than if it were installed natively?
Yeah, but you can also do that with a phone or, a hacked Vita, or a cheapo Anbernic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Worst things about it: only about 80% of games are on it, and I like to play games that aren't controller-focused, such as total war games.

Another bad thing about playing on the deck almost exclusively: I want a more high quality version, with more quiet fans and a better screen. No, the fans and screen are not bad. They could just be better.

Also, TF2 should run better on this thing, Lost Ark should be able to run on it, Vermintide 2 absolutely should be able to run it. I haven't even tried L4D.

Also, Kingdom Hearts should be on Steam.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 3, 2022