Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
e: never mind

Leraika fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
It's weird that Phoenix never loses his composure. He and Mia seemed to be very close but Phoenix is very blasé about finding her freshly murdered.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

wologar posted:

It's weird that Phoenix never loses his composure. He and Mia seemed to be very close but Phoenix is very blasé about finding her freshly murdered.

Him keeping his composure is him losing his composure.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm no composurologist, but it's a pretty common stress reaction to become ultra-focused in a traumatic situation and only actually react to it once you've removed yourself from it and are safe. It's not a physical altercation, but this is very much the "fight" option of the fight/flight/freeze response.

He's got a dead body to investigate and an unconscious girl who clearly needs attention. He can process the shock once those aren't priorities. Probably grateful for the distraction on some level, because actually absorbing the shock is not gonna be a picnic.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 3, 2022

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
I've seen it pointed out(/argued) before that he seems to deal with stuff that's deeply personally upsetting by thinking and talking about it as little as possible, except insofar as it involves the job he has to do. I didn't notice it when I played the game originally, because the overall impression he gives is not "this guy bottles up his feelings," but looking back at scenes like this one, it really does seem to be true. In another game I might write this off as "well, he's the PC, maybe it would make him less self-insertable to show him dealing with grief, so the writers just don't get into it," but he very much does have a distinct personality, so I don't know.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ghost Car posted:

I've seen it pointed out(/argued) before that he seems to deal with stuff that's deeply personally upsetting by thinking and talking about it as little as possible, except insofar as it involves the job he has to do. I didn't notice it when I played the game originally, because the overall impression he gives is not "this guy bottles up his feelings," but looking back at scenes like this one, it really does seem to be true. In another game I might write this off as "well, he's the PC, maybe it would make him less self-insertable to show him dealing with grief, so the writers just don't get into it," but he very much does have a distinct personality, so I don't know.
not sure if OP is planning on blind playthroughs of the other games so i'm spoiler tagging this just to be sure: in the second game "aggressively shutting down conversations when people try to ask him what's wrong" is like, his entire thing. And then in 3, when presented with evidence that his girlfriend was evil and a murderer, he chose to eat the evidence instead of dealing with that emotionally. He's real good at avoiding dealing with issues that he doesn't want to!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

not sure if OP is planning on blind playthroughs of the other games....[/spoiler]

Yeah I'll clarify - please no spoilers on future games either.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 13: Episode 2, Investigation: Meet Maya

Music: Silence

(That girl just now... where'd she go!?)

(Uh oh... I hope she didn't run on me.)

The girl pops up on the screen, apparently frightening us half to death.

(Don't scare me like that...)

Music: Investigation - Core

Excuse me but, who are you?

She can't be worse as a client than Larry, but she's not doing us any favors so far. I'll cut her some slack for having just found her sister's murdered body though.

Maya Fey.

Maya... Fey?

("Maya"...?)

(Maybe I should show her the receipt?)

Music: Investigation - Core

Looks like we have some more options for this investigation now.

So of course we're going to goof around poking at everything in the lobby instead.

A small writing desk cluttered with office supplies.

You couldn't cram more legal books in here, even if you wanted to.

Few can gaze upon the shelves without feeling insignificant.

I think Phoenix has some confidence problems.

The door to the chief's office. It's slightly open.

I'd better not touch the door knob.

That might be the smartest thing we've said all game. And yet...if we work here, wouldn't our fingerprints already be expected to be everywhere?

A large painting. I guess you'd call this "modern art".

I, on the other hand, call it a mistake.

I wouldn't be surprised if that line was a writer taking a dig at something he saw in some bigwig's office at the studio.

This sofa is for clients. It's leather... a real luxury model.

The reception desk. I usually sit here.

Phoenix, you're an attorney, and you... sit at the reception desk? How many people work at Fey and Co., anyway? Was Phoenix the first hire Mia had made, and the place here only had the one office?

Enough looking around, let's see what Mia has to say.

Looks like we only have two relevant topics here. Might as well start at the top.

Um... excuse me?

Can you tell me what happened?

I came in... The room was dark.

And Sis... Sis...!

Assuming we trust her, anyway. Luckily the game already showed us the killer, and it's definitely not her.

Once a topic is exhausted, we get a convenient check mark. I'm really liking this investigation interface. Anyway, next topic!

Sister. I'm her younger sister.

And you were here... visiting? This late at night?

Evidence...?

Yes... I-it was that clock...

It was "The Thinker".

That's it for conversation, let's go and shove all our inventory in her face now.

We still have our badge, for reasons unknown. I kind of hope this thing never gets used anywhere in the game. Anyway, we can "Present" it just like in court last episode.

Fair, fair.

How about these glass shards?

I know. I saw it there too.

I thought they might be pieces of the light stand.

Hmm. Maybe.

(Never heard of a glass light stand before...)

Phoenix you said you thought it was part of the light stand last update! Don't flake out on me now, you're doing so much better this episode!

Maybe she can tell us more about the statue/clock?

That was... Oh, Sis! *sob*

Sure, it was a little insensitive, but we got two new sprites out of it.

I doubt this one is going to go much better...

She wrote it on the back of this receipt.

!

Th-th-that's MY name!

W-why!? Why would she write my name?

W-why would Sis write my name?

(Uh-oh. Now I've done it...)

Sirens start playing over the music here. This scene starts playing once we've both attempted to use the phone in Mia's office (to see the scene with the caller from across the street), and shown Maya the receipt with her name in blood. If you show Maya the receipt before checking the office phone, then this scene instead plays as soon as you come out of Mia's office again after looking at the phone.

!

A common theme in Japanese detective stories is an incompetent police force. I'm not sure if that's a parody or more reflecting reality, but let's see what we're dealing with here...

Both "Dick" and "Gumshoe" are old American slang terms meaning "detective". It's a double pun!

(Gumshoe...? What an odd name.)

He probably changed his name when he got that job.

I already like this guy's expressions.

Got a person saying they saw a murder.

Now that I take a closer look, she seems to resemble the killer that we saw briefly a couple updates ago. Definitely related somehow.

(Great. Just great.)

Detective Gumshoe disappears, probably headed into Mia's office.

We're quick to dismiss the obvious conclusion. Phoenix doesn't have the advantage of seeing the murder happen like we do, but it's pretty easy to see that Maya's innocent here. Unless she's a sociopathic killer, of course.

Eek!

...!

That's my name...

Gumshoe tends to look around a lot while he's talking...

It's a cool "thinking" animation, as Gumshoe speculates on what the bloody note means...

Yup, it's going to be one of "those" police forces. Although, while "case closed" might be a little premature, it certainly seems fair to bring her in for questioning at this point.

I was taken in for questioning and didn't get out until the next morning.

My eyes were heavy... but I couldn't sleep.

I sat around, waiting for visiting hours to begin at the detention center.

Looks like next time we'll be headed to the detention center! In the meantime, some new character profiles for you:

Haven't seen that smiling sprite yet. Hopefully soon!

This guy already looks clueless.

DKII fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 4, 2022

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Friendly PSA:

quote:

Sirens start playing over the music here. This scene starts playing once we've both attempted to use the phone in Mia's office (to see the scene with the caller from across the street), and shown Mia the receipt with her name in blood. If you show Mia the receipt before checking the office phone, then this scene instead plays as soon as you come out of Mia's office again after looking at the phone.

Pretty sure the two bold ones should be Maya.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Ah, Dick Gumshoe, one of the best and most frustrating characters in the whole series. I love the big dumb lug.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I appreciate Dick Gumshoe even more now that I've seen some Columbo :allears:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

SMaster777 posted:

Friendly PSA:

Pretty sure the two bold ones should be Maya.

Thanks. That probably won't be the last time I get the wrong name in there. To make matters worse, in a few updates a third similar name will get thrown in. :)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Good old Detective Detective Detective. :allears:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Cartel Boss- will you join my organization?

Goon- How many people are in your gang?

Boss- um…. Including yourself, were you to join?

Goon- sure.

Wannabe Cartel Boss- Two!

Thx to Scott Kurtz for that one.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Gumshoe's eyebrows are my favorite character in the series.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, Dick - one of the many good characters in this series.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

DKII posted:

A common theme in Japanese detective stories is an incompetent police force. I'm not sure if that's a parody or more reflecting reality, but let's see what we're dealing with here...

I mean, I won't shut it down, since it's not like I have the experience to say one way or the other, but I'd imagine it's just as much that it's hard to have a detective story when the police are good at their job. Like if that were the case, who needs the detective? Kinda like town guards in western RPGs, they have to be unhelpful so that the hero can do his thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Haar_Dragon posted:

I mean, I won't shut it down, since it's not like I have the experience to say one way or the other, but I'd imagine it's just as much that it's hard to have a detective story when the police are good at their job. Like if that were the case, who needs the detective? Kinda like town guards in western RPGs, they have to be unhelpful so that the hero can do his thing.
Have the hero be a police detective?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
how would making me play as the detective lead to a story in which the detective would be competent?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Haar_Dragon posted:

Sure, but there's different levels of competence. Usually the point of a detective story is that the crime is particularly unusual and tricky, you can have the police be pretty good at their jobs and still fail to solve it (especially if there are time sensitive elements.)

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

the holy poopacy posted:

Sure, but there's different levels of competence. Usually the point of a detective story is that the crime is particularly unusual and tricky, you can have the police be pretty good at their jobs and still fail to solve it (especially if there are time sensitive elements.)

That is true, too. Most authors just can't quite pull it off, I guess. Especially nowadays where you can get just about anything published, and if that doesn't work you can self-publish, where back in Ye Olden Dayse(tm), publishers had a lot more curation of what they were willing to put out there, for...a lot of reasons that just don't really hold any more.

It's a matter of how much more product exists now, is what I'm getting at.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This has mild spoilers in that it uses the sprites of two characters who haven't appeared yet (both will appear in the current case), but it's just too perfect:
Phoenix Wright Catches Alex Jones Committing Perjury

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

how would making me play as the detective lead to a story in which the detective would be competent?

[Disco Elysium intensifies]

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah I don't have a lot of breadth of experience but it seems to me like the Japanese flavor on these stories is usually over-the-top comedic incompetence in the police. I mean, it's not a problem, it's still entertaining.

I'm also probably more used to detective stories where you're working with law enforcement to solve a crime, which is really a whole different genre.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, do I have a ga-

Quackles posted:

[Disco Elysium intensifies]

God-DAMNIT!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lol that was the one game where I actually wound up being hyper competent and zooming past all the side content in order to do a proper job entirely because Kim was mildly disappointed with my progress after day one.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 14: Episode 2, Investigation: Enter the Detention Center

It's the next morning, and we're down at the detention center. I gather we're here to talk to Maya?

Yes, she was arrested, that's what happens. Anyway, here's some sad prison music for you:

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

It's you! The lawyer...

G-good morning.

Good morning!

Finding your sister has been murdered, getting arrested for it, and then spending the night in jail doesn't sound like an easy night's sleep to you?

Um...

Nope just here to look Mia's killer in the eye and go take over her business! We've got another trial to get to.

Another choice that appears to be just for flavor. Pick your conscience. For me, really, the choice is up to Maya.

It's up to you.

Up... to me?

Yes. I don't think this is something I should decide.

They're never going to believe me... are they?

quote:

How about the joke option? "Sorry, not a chance."

(Maybe if I joke a bit she'll cheer up...)

Literally; this option is Phoenix joking around, not us walking out on the case and ending the game early.

Hah hah! No way, Jose!

Just kidding...

:geno: Good one.

She can't even look at us.

(Eh heh. Whoops. That didn't go so well.)

...Heh...

Huh?

M-Maya...?

Was that a... chuckle?

What?

N-no!

It wasn't very believable, was it?

She's better at the jokes than we are.

(Not really...)

I-I'm sorry!

I just thought, since you'd made a joke...

Please, don't mind me! You're doing just fine!

(Who's trying to cheer up who here!?)

I knew it.

No one will believe me.

What?

Even you--when you found me in the office. You looked at me like I had done it!

Not sure that cheered her up real well.

quote:

The gung-ho option: "Of course I will."

(First things first, I better get her cheered up...)

Yeah, of course I will! Cheer up!

R-really...?

(Whoa! Did I say the wrong thing? She looks sadder now!)

Um... what... what's wrong? You don't think I can do it?

No... no one could!

Who would believe me?

Even you, when you found me in the office. You looked at me like I had done it!

That path didn't seem to help much, either. Oh well!

It's probably a natural reaction? After the initial shock anyway, seeing a stranger in there would tend to provoke a "What did you do?!" response.

I-it's okay. I understand.

Ah, there's the smile!

Heard...? Heard what about me?

We're her junior partner? There really was no one else at this firm?

Wow! Really? How'd that go?

"Honestly, I was on edge the whole time. It's been a while..."

A while since what? Since Mia was in court herself?

Did we watch the same episode?

"One of those 'strike fear into the hearts of evil' types..."

:sigh: :sadwave:

Huh, sounds like it was fun!

Well, I know who to go to if I ever get into trouble now!

"I don't know, Maya."

"That is, unless you want to be found guilty."

Hey now. I mean, fair, but still. Unfortunately, Maya didn't get in trouble three years later, but just a month after our first trial.

I didn't mean to insult you...

No, it's okay. It's true, I guess.

When I think of the person who did this to Mia...

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

Looks like we're free to explore again. I can't imagine what we'd get out of examining the visiting room at the detention center, but let's start there anyway.

Pretty empty room, as one might expect. The camera here lights up, though.

Sheesh that wasn't even funny.

How about this guy?

He hasn't moved an inch. A real pro, this guy.

Is that a joke about having a static background for this scene? Eh, let's move on to conversation.

We've got a couple new options here. Maybe we can learn a little bit more about our prospective client.

Yes?

What's with that outfit?

Somehow I managed to avoid commenting on the outfit at all; I guess it didn't really phase me compared to everything else we've already seen.

This is what all acolytes wear. It's my uniform, you could say.

A-acolytes? Like people in religious training? What is it you do?

I'm a spirit medium. ...In training.

A s-spirit medium!? (I'm pretty sure that qualifies as strange.)

Phoenix is mirroring my thoughts perfectly in this conversation.

We could follow up on spirit mediums right away, but I am compelled to complete this checklist in order.

Yes!

Let's see... That morning, I got a call from my sister.

She wanted me to hold onto a piece of evidence for an upcoming trial.

Evidence?

(The one Larry made...)

How could that have been evidence in a case?

Do you want to hear it in her own voice?

Are you going to...commune with her?

Yes.

Oh, that's much less weird. Though why are you recording phone calls with your sister? Wait, was Maya the one who made the recording from the prologue? No, the killer had to also have one; otherwise how did they know about the statue holding evidence, and when to show up to frame Maya?

Yeah! I forgot how to delete those things.

More conversation topics open up as we discover more information. Now let's follow up about the cell phone.

Let's hear it!

Right!

Oh!

Sorry.

Oh, right. (Of course...)

I'll write you a note so you don't forget, okay?

Sure, thanks.

This piece of evidence seems like an awkward way to be able to "present" evidence that is just "hey this other person said this", but I guess it works?

The checkmark is gone on this topic, I guess that means she has more to say now?

Sorry... I know it must be hard.

No, it's okay.

I've kind of gotten used to it...

She wanted me to hold onto a piece of evidence for an upcoming trial.

(That's "The Thinker" clock that Larry made.)

It practically qualifies as a serial murderer by now.)

Isn't it actually the second statue? Anyway...

It was right around 9:00.

That time is eight minutes before our arrival, and three minutes after the killer showed up. Pretty tight window all around there.

That's all I need to hear for now.

Okay, we'll finally follow up on this spirit medium business.

That's right.

Wait a second, you said the "Fey Family"?

So, Mia was into this stuff too?

She left the mountain to "follow her career," she said.

The mountain?

Powers?

Hmm...

Wait...!

What?

Yes. ...In training.

Well, can't you contact Mia's spirit, then?

We can just ask her who killed her!

Phoenix is very open to the idea of spirit mediums, apparently.

I-I'm sorry...

I couldn't do something on that level...

(Hmm... I thoguth that would be too easy.)

Seriously I am way too in-tune with Phoenix for these conversations. Half my comments I just deleted because Phoenix said almost the exact same thing in the next screen. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one.

Here's one that didn't get deleted, but maybe should have been given the thread already made this joke earlier: Sounds like Maya is a mini-medium! Say, that reminds me of a joke: What do you call a psychic dwarf who escaped from prison? A small medium at large! :dumbrim:

Huh? Something the matter?

Once you've gone through all four conversations, Maya starts up her own topic here.

...?

My sister gave me this a long time ago.

She said if I was ever in trouble, I should call him.

And, well, I'm in trouble.

That's a little cold, asking a defense attorney to go contact another probably better defense attorney to represent you. Granted, Mia did literally tell her to only let us represent her right now if she wanted to be found guilty.

I'm pretty sure Phoenix would accept, let's go with that.

Instantly made her day.

For a moment, anyway.

...?

Say, what about your parents?

Holy poo poo this trial is moving even faster than the last one. That's, what, 37 hours after the murder?

W-what!? Tomorrow!?

Tomorrow.

What if this guy refuses!?

When will that happen?

They're giving me until 4:00 this afternoon.

Right, I'll be back!

quote:

What if we had refused?

I'm sorry...

I think this is the kind of thing you should really do yourself.

...You're right.

Something wrong?

Actually, I asked the police to contact him, and they tried calling a few times.

Nobody could get a hold of him...

They couldn't find him?

I have no one left to ask!

...?

Say, what about your parents?

O-okay! Don't worry, I'll go ask him for you.

Y-you will? Thank you so much!

I'm just worried what will happen if I can't find him.

They told me that if I don't find one, the state will pick an attorney to defend me.

When will that happen?

They're giving me until 4:00 this afternoon.

(And visiting hours are almost up... I'd better hurry!)

Right, I'll be back!

So we end up in pretty much the same place. But in this branch, instead of finding out that the trial is tomorrow morning, we learn that this other attorney has apparently gone missing.

Before we run off, we can throw our evidence in her face again.

Poor Sis... *sniff*

(Hmm. Better not ask her about this now.)

We haven't officially learned that the statue was hollowed out to hold the evidence yet; I guess we need to go get that cell phone recording first.

I saw that too.

They said they thought these were pieces of a broken light stand.

Yeah, that seems about right.

(Though I'd never heard of a glass light stand before this...)

Subtly different from when we showed the same thing to her the night before, but no new information.

Y-you mean the one with my name on it?

Any idea why she...

Absolutely none!

Um...

Uhh, sure? Interesting to get a dialogue choice in what I thought was going to be a throwaway evidence reaction.

I trust you.

Why?

Don't you think I did it, too?

No, I don't.

That detective thinks I did it.

quote:

Alternate dialogue, if you prefer being a heartless monster:

I didn't think you'd believe me.

You're just like the detective.

I'm sorry...

I don't like lying just to make people feel better.

But it doesn't mean that I've decided you did it!

(She seemed so lost at the crime scene.)

Which version do you prefer?

The last piece of evidence is the new note we just got.

That detective took it when they brought me in.

(I'll have to try to get it back next time I see him...)

I think we've exhausted everything we can do here. Time to go somewhere else!

We can head back to the crime scene, or go check out this other lawyer she wanted us to find for her. We also have to locate Detective Gumshoe at some point to ask about Maya's cell phone, but I don't really see an option for that. I assume we'll have to visit both of these places at least once, and there's probably a more efficient order for it, but since I have no clue which one to pick, why don't you decide?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You canonically picked the option where you learned that time is of the essence, you gotta go find this other lawyer. Why is this even a question? There's no need to investigate this case yourself unless it somehow turns out this guy is not going to represent her, Phoenix gets back to her before the deadline, and she chooses to go with him over a more experienced public defender.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go see this Grossberg. My guess is we can’t find him or he will want us as co-counsel.

In most real life courts, I’m not sure Phoenix would be allowed to work this case, btw. Ties to the victim and defendant like former employment can be grounds for exclusion.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Jailer's Elegy is such a good song

really, the entire soundtrack is great, but that one really sets the tone

also now that we've gotten to this scene, I can post this comic to lighten the mood

achtungnight posted:

In most real life courts, I’m not sure Phoenix would be allowed to work this case, btw. Ties to the victim and defendant like former employment can be grounds for exclusion.
now, i know next to nothing about actual real life law, but i feel like that should only apply to the prosecution, because that would mean they'd be extra biased against the defendant.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blaziken386 posted:

Jailer's Elegy is such a good song

really, the entire soundtrack is great, but that one really sets the tone

also now that we've gotten to this scene, I can post this comic to lighten the mood

now, i know next to nothing about actual real life law, but i feel like that should only apply to the prosecution, because that would mean they'd be extra biased against the defendant.

Nah, it makes sense for the defense as well. For a good chunk of the planet, having to look at the all the evidence including photos of your murdered boss (that just very professionally asked you out for drinks) would provoke an emotional reaction that could compromise your decision making skills and prevent you from mounting the best defense possible. Especially if the defendant is said close relations sister and a memory trigger for the deceased.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't think that kind of conflict of interest applies to the defense - after all, you're allowed to defend yourself, which seems like the biggest possible conflict there could be. If the defendant approves them, and they're qualified, it's hard to imagine anyone in the judicial system objecting to it. It definitely exists for most of the other courtroom positions, though, and is at least a potential disqualifying factor for jurors, in universes where juries exist.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

I don't think that kind of conflict of interest applies to the defense - after all, you're allowed to defend yourself, which seems like the biggest possible conflict there could be. If the defendant approves them, and they're qualified, it's hard to imagine anyone in the judicial system objecting to it. It definitely exists for most of the other courtroom positions, though, and is at least a potential disqualifying factor for jurors, in universes where juries exist.

I somehow get the feeling that no one in the Ace Attorneyverse has heard of conflict-of-interest laws for any legal position.

Just call it a hunch.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 15: Episode 2, Investigation: An Empty Office

Maya's on a tight deadline to find a better option for a lawyer than us, so let's head over to their office first.

Note how since we haven't been there, we just get a big "?" for the location preview, with a fancy static effect.

Fancy.

(She couldn't say when he'd be back.)

Whelp, guess Maya's out of luck then. I knew we should have gone down the location list in order!

(Not to mention run an office like this.)

(I guess I'll just have to come back later.)

We're still given free reign to snoop around, so let's get that out of the way now while we're here.

I thought I was clicking on the lamp here, but...

Hmm... Funny... They don't look like they've ever been read.

Apparently the highlight was for the bookshelf behind the lamp instead.

How about the desk?

A solid mahogany desk.

The wood's been polished to a deep luster.

Bo-ring.

Maybe this painting will induce a better comment.

That painting has been bugging me ever since I stepped in here.

The oil paint is so thick it's practically giving me a stuffed nose.

I'm sure the price is nothing to sneeze at either, for that matter.

Is that a thing? I guess I don't hang out enough around expensive oil paintings to know.

An expensive potted plant.

No idea what kind of plant it is, but it's probably the most expensive one available.

No idea here, either.

A table for clients.

Hmm... an elegant ebony case, and if I'm not mistaken, that lighter's made of solid gold.

Even I can tell someone here's got money to burn.

If you're interested, I found a solid gold lighter online for $18,000. Can't imagine it's all that durable, either.

Nothing really to do here, so I guess we were supposed to head over to the crime scene first after all. Though I suppose we could head back to the Detention Center to give Maya the bad news. Take your pick. Your punishment for choosing incorrectly is a short update today, sorry! I'll make it up by posting the next one tomorrow.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Scene of the crime. Maybe we can pick up a clue we missed.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
If we've gotta give Maya the "your lawyer has fallen into the ether" bad news, might as well give her the "but I have evidence" good news! To that end, we should investigate the place of our employment.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Haar_Dragon posted:

If we've gotta give Maya the "your lawyer has fallen into the ether" bad news, might as well give her the "but I have evidence" good news! To that end, we should investigate the place of our employment.
This seems like the kind of thing a smart lawyer would do, so I voted the exact opposite - go talk to Maya first.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i dont recall the specific details of every case, but i assume that going to see maya right now will result in a big fat "you can't talk to her again until you've finished investigating, dummy" message. so, y'know, maybe go poke around the office

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

i dont recall the specific details of every case, but i assume that going to see maya right now will result in a big fat "you can't talk to her again until you've finished investigating, dummy" message. so, y'know, maybe go poke around the office

I'm not totally sadistic, I won't put up an option for voting that has zero new content. There just might not be a lot of new content. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 16: Episode 2, Investigation: Back to the Scene of the Crime

Let's head back to the crime scene and see if it looks any different in the daylight.

Looks quite a bit cheerier in here, with the bright sunlight and the lack of a dead body.

Oh maybe that detective we need to find is here.

I suppose I should find it heartening that they're still looking for clues after arresting someone they're already sure is guilty, and is going to trial tomorrow morning.

Whoops, busted. We're at an active crime scene, I suppose; are we even allowed to be here?

Not sure what's with the "???" again here, didn't we meet this guy last night? He's not one I'm likely to forget, either.

He doesn't really remember us, either, I guess.

What?! No! Frankly I'm insulted.

Maybe this detective also questioned Larry last month? But still, he's as bad with names as...well, we are.

At least this guy is a good bit friendlier today.

(He WAS proven innocent...)

I'm going to play this one straight, even though I really want to see what he says to "Suedeshoes".

Um... Gumshoe, wasn't it? Dick Gumshoe?

I enjoy the many faces of Dick Gumshoe.

quote:

All right, let's call this guy "Detective Suedeshoes":

Um... Suedeshoes, wasn't it?

That's me! Don't step on my blue suede shoes...

Wait! That's a song, pal!

My name's Dick Gumshoe...

W-wait!

That's Detective Gumshoe to you, pal!

Hey, I never said "blue", don't pin that one on me!

quote:

How about "Detective Gumtree"?

Um... Gumtree was it? Detective Gumtree?

G-Gumtree...?

Gum doesn't grow on trees, pal!

And I'm the one in charge here so don't push your luck!

(Whatever you say, Detective...)

Hey, he doesn't actually tell us his name on this branch...

And don't go calling me "Dick"...

Okay, that one was funny.

B-be right there!

Who's the boss of the detective? A captain? Would they normally be at a crime scene the next day?

I don't know what brought on that animation, but this guy is adorable, can we keep him?

You're her lawyer, right, pal?

If you got business here, you'd better do it quick!

That little lie of omission probably won't matter, right?

Time to investigate!

Music: Investigation - Opening

I imagine the police have already found everything that could be a clue here, so let's get looking around out of the way first.

Mia's favorite potted plant.

I remember it had this bizarre name no one could ever remember.

"Cordyline stricta", pal!

(Who was that!?)

Cordyline stricta: An evergreen Australian plant, also known as the Slender Palm Lily or Narrow-leaved Palm Lily. :science:

The sky is blue, and so am I...

There's that hotel, right across the way.

Mia's desk.

Perfectly clean, as always.

The only thing it's missing is... Mia.

There's a horrendous amount of legal books here.

Scarier still is that Mia probably read all of these.

Mia was only 27. Most people are, what, 25 when they get out of law school? Phoenix I think you need a better work ethic.

An old movie poster.

Apparently, this was the first movie that made Mia cry when she saw it.

I'll have to check it out one of these days.

The movie poster was in the scene last time we were here, but wasn't clickable. The plant has made quite the recovery since last night, however; it was looking a little ragged earlier.

We're more likely to get information out of this guy, so let's chat him up first.

Hmm? You want to know the results, eh?

...What's with the puppy dog look yourself?

It's no use!

Alright, alright. You can see the report, but that's all!

Not that we're ready for trial yet, but I think we're ready for the first contradiction, at least.

quote:

I missed it the first time around, but despite the topic getting a check mark, this conversation changes if you select it again. Something to do with not being able to receive the autopsy report twice, maybe?

So, Mia's death was instantaneous.

That's right, pal.

She was... a beautiful person.

You knew her, Detective?

Sure. All of us down at the precinct knew Ms. Fey.

Much as it pains me to say this, she was a darn good lawyer.

Hey, what are you looking at? I just got a little dust in my eye, that's all.

:smith:

Um, about Maya...

Sorry, pal, but this is one trial you aren't going to win!

W-why do you say that?

That name looks familiar. I think he gets his own games later? I wasn't expecting to see him in this one, let alone so soon.

(Edgeworth...)

I'm sure you know what that means, you being a lawyer and all.

Music: Investigation - Opening

New topic to ask about the edgy guy!

Prosecutor Edgeworth...

Technically, no, not really...

Never heard of him.

Only barely. Did you see us at our last trial?

About four years ago, this Edgeworth guy became a prosecutor at the age of 20!

Everyone says he's a genius. Surprised you don't know him!

Dude, we didn't know who our client was last trial.

Never mind, Phoenix is just too good at "playing" dumb.

(He's a cold, heartless machine who'll do anything to get a "guilty" verdict!)

(There are rumors of back-alley deals and forged evidence...)

quote:

We really do know him, apparently, so let's just go with that here.

I know him. He's a feared proscecutor. He doesn't feel pain, he doesn't feel remorse.

He won't stop until he gets his "guilty" verdict.

Aww, don't talk about him that way. You make him sound barely human!

Still, I'm afraid this pretty much decides the case.

(So, Edgeworth is on this one...)

(He hasn't lost a case since he became prosecutor at the incredibly young age of 20.)

(Of course, there are rumors of back-alley deals and forged evidence...)

Mostly the same information, though it seems like Phoenix doesn't care for the guy....

I bet he's not fond of defense attorneys, either.

Settle down, Maya's still trying to hire that other guy. Gross-dude.

We're out of conversation topics, so let's head into our evidence collection now. I'm going to try this badge on everything until it works!

Hmm? What's that?

Sorry, pal, but I got no info for the likes of you!

I think that was a generic "no info" response, or was it Gumshoe declaring he doesn't talk to defense attorneys?

I was wondering, do you know anything about this?

That statue? That's the murder weapon.

(Huh? He thinks the clock is just a statue, too...)

(I'm starting to wish I'd never seen this thing.)

There was broken glass at the crime scene, right?

Hmm? Oh, that?

We're given a flashback to the crime scene as it was the night before. Mia's legs appear to be on top of some of the glass shards here. So did the light stand fall over first?

Seems like a glass stand next to the victim fell over.

The glass shards were pieces of the broken stand.

There was a piece of paper next to the victim, wasn't there?

Yeah. The one with the killer's name written on it!

Are you sure that Mia wrote it herself?

Given the condition of the writing, it's hard to say if it's her handwriting or not.

(So there's no proof that Mia wrote it.)

I don't really expect much from showing him the evidence he just gave us, but I feel compelled to see what he says anyway...

Thanks for this!

Don't mention it, pal.

There is no way that's true.

(I don't know how I feel, seeing everything written up like this...)

(It makes Mia's death seem so... routine.)

We've done literally everything else possible, let's get what we came here for.

I was wondering... did you see Maya Fey's cell phone?

Should call this guy "Glumshoe" with that face.

Do you think you could give it back?

Tricky lawyer!

On to what? We just directly asked him for it. Anyway, Gumshoe has been good to us with the autopsy report, so I guess we'll be straight with him here.

Or we would, if the game let us...

Something the matter?

Oh, no, it's just... You know, Detective!

Nope. I know nothing, pal!

A cell phone holds all a little girl's sweetest and spiciest secrets!

This is telling him straight?

Sorry, pal. I already checked all the numbers in memory!

Impressive! You're quite the detective.

Uh huh. Oh, here, you can have the phone back.

What would even qualify as a suspicious call here?

quote:

And if we're not-so-straight with him...

(Okay, I can't be straight with this guy... but what should I tell him?)

Something the matter?

Oh, no, um...

T-that carrying strap on the cell phone...

This? Hmm... it says "The Steel Samurai: Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo"...

"The Steel Samurai"... that action hero on TV?

Yeah, you see that strap is a collector's item...

She... was worried it might get lost if it went down to the precinct.

That what she said?

Um. Yes.

Okay, pal.

I wrote down all the numbers she called anyway.

Here you go.

Guess we lie to poor sweet Gumshoe either way.

(Seems he didn't notice the recorded conversation...)

We get our first piece of evidence that is more than it appears. We'll look at it in a moment.

Getting this far triggers an extra conversation.

You all done, pal?

Um, yes, thank you. I'll be heading out now.

Oh, wait.

I don't suppose you're planning on talking to that witness.

I wasn't, until you brought it up. How could we, anyway?

Anyway you'd better not.

The... witness?

Lawyerly tricks #1: Acting confused so the detective volunteers information he shouldn't. Also, April May? What's the killer's name, Mr. June July?

I'm sorry 'bout this...

But I can't tell you anything about her!

(Well, you just told me her name. Miss May, huh?)

So, you've sent her home already, then?

She's not to go outside her room until the trial!

Lawyerly tricks #2: Saying something incorrect so that the other person will correct you and give you the real information. That one's actually not bad; most people can't resist showing off something they know. Detectives I would think would be a bit too experienced to fall for it, though.

Looks like we've got another location to visit!

You got that right, pal!

(Time to pay a visit to Miss May!)

First, let's present the cell phone back to Gumshoe, just for kicks.

(Seems he didn't notice the recorded conversation...)

Not much there, but did you notice there's something more we can do with that evidence with the "Enter" button in the previous image? Let's do that now:

It's just the same as what we already saw in the prologue, but now Phoenix knows what we know. The statue/clock was hollowed out to hold evidence, that evidence is now missing, and only someone who had heard this phone call would be able to know that. (Right now, that kind of implicates Maya more than anyone, doesn't it?)

That's all for the crime scene redux. I'll caveat that Grossberg is still unavailable, so we have two options. We can go try and track down the witness at the hotel, or go back and see Maya. Where should we go?