Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah, The Russian economy looks good if you only look at Ruble to USD exchange rate and absolutely nothing else. Prices are skyrocketing, production has fallen off a cliff, and imports and nongas exports are basically nonexistant. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or has no idea what they're talking about. (or both)

The Russian economy looks great if you view it through the savings on consumers by not providing ABS or Seatbelts in the vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Russia's economy has basically been like North Dakota circa 2014 since the 90's. When oil and natural gas are doing well, then about 20% of the population does very well. The rest of them are slightly impacted by whatever is going on with that 20%, but mostly in their own world.

It's gotten slightly worse recently because so many international companies have pulled out of Russia in the last year.

Looking at the currency valuation and oil/gas industry doesn't really give an accurate glimpse of how Russia (as in the collective of people and not the state) is actually doing economically since about 80% of people participating in the economy are doing so in their own semi self-contained economic ecosystem in the larger urban areas that doesn't dramatically change with the amount of oil/gas extracted elsewhere.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to view the poop in person, but I'm looking forward to hearing them whine about the abortion ban failing in Kansas nearly 2:1. I voted this morning around 8 and even then there was a line to vote, which I've never seen before around here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Does Freep take Pelosi’s side or Xi’s?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vahakyla posted:

Does Freep take Pelosi’s side or Xi’s?

They probably go with Xi because they think he's an evil genius and Nancy is minor demon in their universe.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Vlaphor posted:

I don't want to view the poop in person, but I'm looking forward to hearing them whine about the abortion ban failing in Kansas nearly 2:1. I voted this morning around 8 and even then there was a line to vote, which I've never seen before around here.

For you, I do this thing.

Kansas voters voter to keep abortion rights enshrined in state constitution

First step: Denial

quote:

To: Trump20162020
26% reporting.

2 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:36:28 PM by posterchild

quote:

I’m really surprised Kansas is a red state what gives

5 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:40:40 PM by Sarah Barracuda

quote:

To: napscoordinator
The Kansas numbers make no sense.

More people voted in the GOP Primary than voted in the Democrat Primary and the No vote is winning by a large margin?

Where did all the No votes in Kansas come from because we know very few Republicans would have voted No?

83 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:50:19 PM by Round Earther

quote:

People are pretty stupid. The wording may have confused some.

10 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:42:38 PM by Romulus
THESE ARE YOUR PEOPLE, but then again Rom's not wrong so...

quote:

Incredibly sad. Expected in California or New York or Chicago (Illinois). But KANSAS???

15 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:50:06 PM by madprof98

quote:

These results cannot be right, they just cannot be right.

As it looks right now, far more people voted in the Republican Primary for Governor than voted in the Democrat Primary.

There is just no way, it is impossible that close to majority of GOP voters voted for abortion.

38 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:06:54 PM by Round Earther

Some people start to glean a shade of buyer's remorse

quote:

To: Sarah Barracuda
I’m really surprised Kansas is a red state what gives?
You cannot strip away a half century old “right” without consequences. My guess is that the Republican wave is barely going to be a trickle.

27 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:59:36 PM by thegagline (Sic semper tyrannis )

quote:

To: fidelis
I’m not in Kansas, but my understanding was that there were two initiatives on the ballot there having to do with abortion, one of them not pro-life.
No. One initiative only concerning abortion.

This is a common tactic with the Left. That, and the confusing language on the real pro-life initiative probably left voters befuddled.

Leftist tactic? If you wanted to stack the deck in favor of changing the constitution to remove the abortion protections you could not have done better than Kansas did. Arrange to have the vote during the primary election, in a state where the primaries are closed and Republicans outnumber Democrats and independents would have nothing to vote for other than the referendum. Low turnout made up primarily of your base should have guaranteed a win for abortion opponents. Then came Dobbs...

37 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:06:14 PM by Lower Deck

quote:

“Protection”.

“Rights”.

LOL.

What feminazi Democrat was in charge of the wording of the ballot measure?

On the bright side this was voted upon in the primary instead of the general election in November, otherwise Democrats would have run the table. Are people still convinced that the abortion issue is some kind of big “winner” for Republicans this year?

But let’s not give up hope, this is just one state and you can’t infer much from the results on this issue in some far-left state like Kansas. Oh wait....

8 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:42:22 PM by PermaRag (We have SO many targets, and -- for now -- the means to see they get what they deserve.)

quote:

To: Leaning Right
The biggest take away from this is the sheer number voting. It’s going to double what a normal primary does. If this happens across the country in November. We’re absolutely done.

62 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:35:05 PM by napscoordinator (Trump/Hunter, jr for President/Vice President 2016 democratic )

quote:

Let’s face it. The turnout today in Kansas was driven solely by the abortion referendum. People who don’t think the Dobbs decision will motivate people to go to the polls in November may have to think again.

74 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:42:57 PM by Lower Deck

Gotta admit, good burn here

quote:

The counties large enough for people to be able to find sex partners are voting to leave abortion legal.

14 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:48:52 PM by babble-on

America Cowboy just has an indefatigably sunny disposition

quote:

To: napscoordinator
Republican canidates still outpolled Democrats.

80 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:45:34 PM by cowboyusa (America Cowboy up!)

quote:

To: dfwgator
Hispanics tuning Red will open up districts that were unreachable before. The Karen’s have gone all in for Communism.

87 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:55:21 PM by cowboyusa (America Cowboy up!)
However...

quote:

To: dfwgator
Almost no Hispanics in KA.

89 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:55:54 PM by cowboyusa (America Cowboy up!)

quote:

To: Jim Noble
I did a deep dive of Congressonal redistricting. The Housr looks like 27 pickups at least. It’s the Senate that is very dicey.

110 posted on 8/2/2022, 11:46:20 PM by cowboyusa (America Cowboy up!)

Wait, Dan in Wichita has deciphered the issue: people voted!

quote:

To: Round Earther
Unaffiliated (i.e. independent) voters were allowed to vote in the primary. The only thing they could vote on was the abortion amendment. Apparently, a large percentage of them voted to retain abortion in Kansas. Really sad.

92 posted on 8/2/2022, 10:58:47 PM by Dan in Wichita

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

No RHINO blame? :sad:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 3, 2022

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

No RHINO blame? :Trumpsad:

Aww, buck up buddy.

quote:

To: nutmeg
Kansas is RINO heaven, and always has been.

119 posted on 8/3/2022, 12:15:48 AM by dfwgator (Endut! Hoch Hech!)

quote:

To: Bayard
How rigorous was the pro-life advocacy in the state of Kansas?
Sounds like the usual lame effort we've come to expect from the GOPe.

95 posted on 8/2/2022, 11:01:26 PM by dfwgator (Endut! Hoch Hech!)

quote:

Kobach will probably lose too. Kansas is as nuts as Utah these days.

97 posted on 8/2/2022, 11:09:54 PM by montag813

quote:

To: Sarah Barracuda
Kansas is Republican but not too conservative.

16 posted on 8/2/2022, 9:50:43 PM by cotton1706

All better!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OAquinas posted:

Aww, buck up buddy.

All better!

Ah much better yes thank you

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vlaphor posted:

Countdown to the Supreme Court deciding that states don't have the right to choose...

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Countdown to the Supreme Court deciding that states don't have the right to choose...

I'm sure the mental gymnastics would make contortionists second fiddle. Wouldn't be the first time I suppose, as they do lean authoritarian

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine states rights only applying to things they want, where have I heard this before

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

OAquinas posted:

First step: Denial

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Just loving the idea of using primaries as a proxy for how states vote in a ballot referendum.

That's like treating ISIS as a proxy for what people in the Middle East think... oh wait, Freep does that too don't they?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I lived in Kansas for about five years, working at a loving Nazarene University.

Their recent vote is breaking my brain in the best way possible. While the cities are plenty bits more liberal than the rest, that's not a lot of the state. The bulk of Kansas City is across the border in Missouri, with it being the biggest city in the state. I'm not saying Kansas is quite as severe as the Bible Belt, where I've also spent most of my life in Tennessee and Kentucky, but God drat if it isn't close.

If I'm having a hard time squaring how this vote came down in favor of abortion, some Freepers must be having aneurysms.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Log posted:

I lived in Kansas for about five years, working at a loving Nazarene University.

Their recent vote is breaking my brain in the best way possible. While the cities are plenty bits more liberal than the rest, that's not a lot of the state. The bulk of Kansas City is across the border in Missouri, with it being the biggest city in the state. I'm not saying Kansas is quite as severe as the Bible Belt, where I've also spent most of my life in Tennessee and Kentucky, but God drat if it isn't close.

If I'm having a hard time squaring how this vote came down in favor of abortion, some Freepers must be having aneurysms.

I don't think we've ever had freedoms stripped away like this before in America, at least not ones that were enshrined for half a century. We may be entering new territory here in terms of how people come out for elections. At the very least, the conventional wisdom of liberals only turning out for the big elections may be over, at least I hope so.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vlaphor posted:

I don't think we've ever had freedoms stripped away like this before in America, at least not ones that were enshrined for half a century. We may be entering new territory here in terms of how people come out for elections. At the very least, the conventional wisdom of liberals only turning out for the big elections may be over, at least I hope so.

Liberals in general have been pissed and energized in some form or another since 2016. The 2018 midterms saw the highest turnout in almost a century. Apropos nothing, I suspect it might have been wearing off in some areas, but the SCOTUS decision has almost certainly put more gas on that fire--Kansas seems to confirm that hypothesis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That probably depends on whether the democrats actually do anything about it, I don't the endless milking of the fear of the republicans for donations followed by a profound lack of action once in office, can be sustained indefinitely.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Vlaphor posted:

There was that little matter of the 18th amendment.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lots of gop voters, especially women, support some measure of abortion restriction but far beyond "total ban."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Liberals in general have been pissed and energized in some form or another since 2016. The 2018 midterms saw the highest turnout in almost a century. Apropos nothing, I suspect it might have been wearing off in some areas, but the SCOTUS decision has almost certainly put more gas on that fire--Kansas seems to confirm that hypothesis.

Not to mention attempting a coup has really pissed off a lot of people. January 6th investigation may be a show story for what's happening in Congress, but emptywheel coverage/legal analysis has shown that behind the scenes things are directly linked to Trump by now.

This country could not incentivize more people to vote than they have through trying to shove through all this poo poo in one term.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Safety Dance posted:

There was that little matter of the 18th amendment.

There was also the 13th amendment, a blatant woke attack on property rights which arguably wasn't even needed to end slavery. Mississippi was the last to ratify it in 1995 so they could have just waited...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lots of gop voters, especially women, support some measure of abortion restriction but far beyond "total ban."

Yes, they want it to affect the bad dirty (brown) sluts that don't deserve access to reproductive health, but when their daughter makes a mistake, she needs to be able to do what's necessary and be forgiven for her minor mistake.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Alex Jones ordered to pay $4.1 million to Sandy Hook parents in defamation case

quote:

To: navysealdad

Because he voiced his personal opinion? This country sure as hell isn’t free anymore.

10 posted on 08/04/2022 2:57:30 PM PDT by mass55th ("Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." ~~ John Wayne )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: mass55th

Exactly right. I was shocked about how many here on FR said jones is getting what he deserves b/c he’s a loon or a jerk, or whatever...

So easy to sit here and say the left is dragging this country down but drat it, I see folks here doing the same poo poo.

This man is getting sued for exercising free speech and folks here are cheering it.

60 posted on 08/04/2022 3:51:35 PM PDT by Jonny7797
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

:pathetic: bootlicking from DesertRhino

quote:

” after the radio host and conspiracy theorist said the Sandy Hook massacre, the deadliest mass shooting at a U.S. elementary school, was “completely fake” and a “giant hoax” during a 2017 radio show.”

I keep hearing that, but nobody ever seems to post that video. Wonder why?

33 posted on 08/04/2022 3:24:06 PM PDT by DesertRhino (Dogs are called man's best friend. Moslems hate dogs. Add it up..)

quote:

To: Truthsearcher

“He said it was a hoax and all the parents were actors.”

And you of course, have the video where he said this?

35 posted on 08/04/2022 3:25:21 PM PDT by DesertRhino (Dogs are called man's best friend. Moslems hate dogs. Add it up..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Boogieman

Laughable. Utterly laughable. If such a video ever existed, it would be trumpeted to high heaven. It would lead every new story. It doesn’t exist sport. The supposed centerpiece of the lawsuit, and it doesn’t seem to exist.

“I guess it got taken down from YouTube”. ROFLMAO.

Please get serious. The internet is forever, especially for conservatives.

121 posted on 08/04/2022 6:22:04 PM PDT by DesertRhino (Dogs are called man's best friend. Moslems hate dogs. Add it up..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 100 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Jonny7797

By the way, he never said it was a hoax. Not even once. Along with a stack of other news stories that day he read a story from daily hedge that asks some very pointed questions about it. You’ll notice that nobody can provide a video of him saying it was fake. It was discussed whether or not that story may be accurate, and if the fax made sense, but he never declared that it was a false flag. Don’t believe me? Try to find a video of him saying it. You know and I know that would be centerpiece everywhere.

122 posted on 08/04/2022 6:23:57 PM PDT by DesertRhino (Dogs are called man's best friend. Moslems hate dogs. Add it up..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

:qq: my lovely opinions

quote:

To: ought-six

He said it was a hoax and all the parents were actors.

15 posted on 08/04/2022 3:03:22 PM PDT by Truthsearcher
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Truthsearcher

Which looks an awful lot like opinion. Statements of opinion can not be “defamatory”. Only statements of fact can be

This should be appealed

28 posted on 08/04/2022 3:16:21 PM PDT by jpp113
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

:lol:

quote:

To: Roadrunner383
Jones isn’t a hero. He’s a money grubbing con man.

Who happens to be right a lot of the time.

I don't keep up with him, but i've seen a list of stuff he predicted and when, and he usually turns out to be correct.
48 posted on 08/04/2022 3:37:43 PM PDT by DiogenesLamp ("of parents owing allegiance to no other sovereignty.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

quote:

If he has to pay $4.1 million imagine how much Trump should be paid for the Russia-Russia-Russia lies.

44 posted on 08/04/2022 3:34:10 PM PDT by libertylover (Our biggest problem, BY FAR, is that almost all of big media is agenda-driven, not-truth driven.)

quote:

To: libertylover

Excellent point!

57 posted on 08/04/2022 3:48:29 PM PDT by Rurudyne (Standup Philosopher)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

quote:

To: V_TWIN

Bear in mind that this sets president for law suits against the provocateurs on the left. Sometimes these victories get pyric. It will be hard for this or the coming punitive damages to stand well on appeal.

12 posted on 08/04/2022 2:59:45 PM PDT by Steamburg (Other people's money is the only language a politician respects; starve the bastards)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Steamburg

To be honest, there isn’t a person on the right that has the guts to go after leftists for the horrid things they say and do. There also aren’t many fair courts left that will go after them.

The left wins because they are mean and nasty and have no sense of decency.
The only way to deal with that is like fighting fire with fire and that won’t happen.

66 posted on 08/04/2022 4:06:26 PM PDT by dforest
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Steamburg

“Bear in mind that this sets president for law suits against the provocateurs on the left.”

You must not be paying attention. Provocateurs on the left skate every time. Just ask Steve Bannon about Eric Holder.
Notice Ray Epps. Notice all the thugs at the FBI who skated over framing Trump, while Roger Stone was raided one morning with a 100 man swat team with weapons drawn.

80 posted on 08/04/2022 4:36:35 PM PDT by odawg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Jonny7797

“Saying a shooting is a hoax is not defamation.”

Well, the jury decided it was.

105 posted on 08/04/2022 5:35:05 PM PDT by Boogieman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Boogieman

And they said Biden got 81 million votes.

106 posted on 08/04/2022 5:37:37 PM PDT by Jonny7797
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 105 | View Replies]

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Real crack legal team they have on Freep. The "It's just my opinion, man!" defense.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Real crack legal team they have on Freep. The "It's just my opinion, man!" defense.

It’s interesting that they can’t tell the difference between opinions and lies.

Saying something is true when you know it is false is not an opinion.

“Post truth society” or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I see they really paid attention to the trial.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
They’re just citing prior president, and ultimately it’s just a pyric victory

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Iron pyric, or "fool's victory."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Who cares what his defense would or wouldn't have been, he lost the judgment by default for disobeying court orders.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Clarste posted:

Who cares what his defense would or wouldn't have been, he lost the judgment by default for disobeying court orders.

Nah the court's just not letting him defend himself, because the woke judge is a woman and mad at him for illogical emotional bullshit like "refusal to comply with discovery" and "suggesting she helps pedophiles" and "showing an image of her burning in fire on his show".

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Yeah the jury didn't rule about guilt or innocence at all. Jones refused to cooperate in that trial and was subsequently found guilty by default. The best part is that Jones very obviously did this because he figured paying damages would be better for him than cooperating with discovery because he's a slimy piece of poo poo with a lot of skeletons in his closet and wanted to avoid outing them. And then his lawyer accidentally handed the plaintiff's counsel all the emails and texts he lied under oath about not having. Incredible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I listen to a podcast called Knowledge Fight, which uses his Info Wars show as a jumping off point for dissecting the conspiracy movement. Which means I know way too much about Jones and his ilk.

I'm a little surprised he only got four million in damages. I've not read the articles about it yet. But considering how fundamentally he destroyed these parent's lives with his bullshit, four million feels like chump change. That better be in addition to paying their court costs, as well.

The sad thing? He won't have an issue paying that in the slightest. poo poo, he recently got a bitcoin donation that totaled over a million.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I'm a little surprised he only got four million in damages. I've not read the articles about it yet. But considering how fundamentally he destroyed these parent's lives with his bullshit, four million feels like chump change. That better be in addition to paying their court costs, as well.

The $4 million was just compensatory (the "this is the price of your mistake" amount). Now they'll consider punitive damages (the "we want to punish you for your mistake" amount) which will probably be much higher. Here's a good little thread on it

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1555303864152117249

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I listen to a podcast called Knowledge Fight, which uses his Info Wars show as a jumping off point for dissecting the conspiracy movement. Which means I know way too much about Jones and his ilk.

The sad thing? He won't have an issue paying that in the slightest. poo poo, he recently got a bitcoin donation that totaled over a million.

4 million in compensation to one family. The compensatory damages don't take into account Jones' shenanigans. There will be a punitive damages phase which could be up to 10x the compensatory damages. In the punitive damages phase they will evaluate how willful Jones was and whether he's shown remorse and did he cooperate and did he even try not to hurt these people and etc... 10X seems unlikely but I think it could be substantial, maybe even 5X. I know some doomers are out there saying he's just going to get another 500k tacked on but I don't think so. I think the total from just this trial is going to be 20+ million.

And then there is another trial in Connecticut with 8 families participating and much higher awards on the table and they have his phone contents now.

And then and then it appears he is now open to a whole lot more poo poo that will come after this because phone.

This is just the first shot landing home, not the whole broadside.

edit: threadreader of the above popehat tweet: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1555303864152117249.html

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 5, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Scratch Monkey posted:

The $4 million was just compensatory (the "this is the price of your mistake" amount). Now they'll consider punitive damages (the "we want to punish you for your mistake" amount) which will probably be much higher.

I don't think it can be; Texas caps punitive damages to twice the compensatory damages plus up to $750k, if I'm reading things right (which I may not be, not being a lawyer). This was a big part of why his lawyers spent so much time implying the jury should save their wrath for the punitive stage, knowing they hadn't been told this (and I think weren't allowed to be told this).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tragically tort reform was passed to protect people like Alex Jones and large corporations that poison people.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't think it can be; Texas caps punitive damages to twice the compensatory damages plus up to $750k, if I'm reading things right (which I may not be, not being a lawyer). This was a big part of why his lawyers spent so much time implying the jury should save their wrath for the punitive stage, knowing they hadn't been told this (and I think weren't allowed to be told this).

I think it can be more, but there is definitely a formula that caps it, and from what ive read if over 10x more has to be reviewed by a separate judge.

Captain Log posted:

Highly recommend knowledge fight, as an exhaustive (as in you will get exhausted from listening to that much jones. They have not recommended binging their back catalog) resource on the subject. I would recommend going over the Formulaic objection episodes for trial related stuff including interviews with the plaintiffs lawyers.

quote:

it was 8 million

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Basically, Jones is inconvenienced and going to lose money. But I have doubt it these cases will do anything to slow his bile seeping into the American consciousness, nor will they dramatically impact his standard of living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Once you hit a certain tier of rich nothing (legal) can touch you short of prison time. Jones will die fat and happy, and his damage has been done.