Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I wonder how viable that would be, for the distributors to handle extra shipping payments directly. That might help soothe the mob for Darkest Dungeon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/detestablegames/dodos-riding-dinos-dodo-dash/description

Expansion for Dodos Riding Dinos out. These games are a lot lighter than most of the stuff posted here but it makes for a pretty cool present or intro game for kids. Or just for casual games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Oathsworn showed up out of nowhere today (Nebraska, USA)! I didn’t see a tracking email for it, but it’s great that this huge loving pile of game has finally arrived.

I just wish it hadn’t done so right as I’m traveling out of town :smith: Guess I’ll read the rulebooks on my flight!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I literally just did Darkest Dungeon for the minis because I run a lot of dark fantasy buy grimDARK play grimDARK and I'm waiting for the needle to move before I pay into the fuckin, trust fund or whatever. Super pissed though, because I saved a LOT of money for that complete pledge.

eta: Aaagggghhh this poo poo is gonna gently caress the Monsterpocalypse board game that's a 2e of the original, isn't it? fuuuuck.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My Vaesen Mythic Britain and Ireland pledge has arrived! Free League always makes the best stuff and delivers on timish.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

lol the Divinity Original Sin board game Kickstarter actually updated for the first time and apparently the game is actually happening? It's not even remotely similar to the game they're showing on the campaign, but something is happening. It's more like Jaws of the Lion now I guess?

I pledged for the all in back in early 2020 and never bothered getting a refund. Still could, but at this point it's a kind of morbid curiosity.

Good news though, the reprint of Roll Camera has shipped! So that will be three games I've actually received this year (the others being Wolfenstein and Marvel Dice Throne). Looks like Final Girl is probably delayed until early next year though, which is a shame as I'd hoped to play that with my brother at Christmas.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

That is actually the best possible solution because backers won't have to fret over giving QML another penny.

I’m pretty sure QML has done this before on another project so there is precedence.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CODChimera posted:

I wonder how viable that would be, for the distributors to handle extra shipping payments directly. That might help soothe the mob for Darkest Dungeon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/detestablegames/dodos-riding-dinos-dodo-dash/description

Expansion for Dodos Riding Dinos out. These games are a lot lighter than most of the stuff posted here but it makes for a pretty cool present or intro game for kids. Or just for casual games

I backed it the first time around and it has become a huge game night staple. It's a pleasant contrast to all the placid worker placement and deckbuilders that are generally what's on the table.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol the Divinity Original Sin board game Kickstarter actually updated for the first time and apparently the game is actually happening? It's not even remotely similar to the game they're showing on the campaign, but something is happening. It's more like Jaws of the Lion now I guess?

I pledged for the all in back in early 2020 and never bothered getting a refund. Still could, but at this point it's a kind of morbid curiosity.

I pledged $1 for that with an inkling that the troubles were coming, so I'll wait and see.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Petersen games update video:
They are going to focus on one project at a time.
Cthulu Wars the Final Catacylsm is first because it’s in final assembly. No mention of planned order for other things which they are getting some flak for in the Hyperspace comments. No details about what this actually means for something like Hyperspace that is at a stage where it requires a day or whatever to respond to the factory’s next set of samples and then nothing for months. Are they just going to ignore this item for months while they focus on editing some rulebook for the “current” project? Or do they mean in terms of sinking money into production and fulfillment? The latter makes more sense but a few extra sentences of details and implications would have been real nice to hear.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yikes. I think this might be the end for them. Certainly not encouraging, but still more likely than Far West.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The kickstarter for the digital version of Sentinels of Earth-Prime released yesterday.

Sentinels of Earth-Prime is a compatible spin off of Sentinels of the Multiverse

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/handelabra/sentinels-of-earth-prime-digital-tabletop-game

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

And for a game that's an edition out of date it was shockingly well done.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Building in cross-compatibility by just having both installed is pretty nice.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

New Update from Blacklist Miniatures, regarding Fantasy Series 1. Mainly apologising for the GoFundMe mistake and saying how they're going forward - no new campaigns, focusing on getting the current campaigns out, QML still thinking about what to do, etc.

Interesting bit, a little ray of light for those who backed Series 2:

quote:

Lasting Tales/FS2: We are still in production with the factory and should not run into the same issues as FS1 because the costs are much different with containers, booking, and fulfillment now that the shipping crisis is more stable and not the mess it had been. We have remaining funds after manufacturing costs that are allotted only towards FS2 shipping, but honestly it’s cutting it very close.

One question was that if we have funds to ship these items, why can’t we just forget them temporarily, pool that money together and first put it into FS1? With the exception of FS2 (which funds can only be used for FS2 because we are already too tight as is), the combination of funds needed for shipping the other projects doesn’t come close to the $360k balance we currently owe. So efficiently, we have to prioritize what we can do in completion.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's weird to me that they're prioritizing later projects and those projects are collectively cheaper than FS1, but as someone who did not back FS1 and did back Tide of the Dragon and Dire Alliance, I am fine with it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

It's weird to me that they're prioritizing later projects and those projects are collectively cheaper than FS1, but as someone who did not back FS1 and did back Tide of the Dragon and Dire Alliance, I am fine with it.
I can't bring myself to believe anything that Alex Lim (the only person working at BLG) says anymore, but IF what he claims about actually keeping all funds separate is true, then perhaps this EasyShip company has acceptable rates. The other projects are smaller in physical size and amount of copies than FS1/2, so they might all go in the same containers together.

According to Alex, when FS1 was brought over in 10 containers in 2021, QML used some sort of expedited shipping method to put them in the front of the line, which turned out to be a gigantic fee that he didn't expect. That seems to be the amount of money (plus storage fees) that he's been trying to collect or haggle down for the past year to no success. He apparently had an influx of cash from an "investor" in early 2022, but was then sued for unpaid shipping from a previous partner and settled for an unknown amount (possibly the entirety of what he got from the investor).

What I don't like to see from this latest update is him stating that he's not currently in discussions with QML and that they're just doing their own thing without him. That makes no sense.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I sorta can't believe it but Katanas and Trenchcoats showed up at my door.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Oathsworn trip report

Played Friday night to Monday afternoon.
Covered 9 chapters in about 25 ish hours of play. Game has 21 chapters total so I've seen about half the game at this point.

It's been pretty great.

Oathsworn is a grim and gritty fantasy game set in a world where isolated cities exist surrounded by magical forests full of monsters trying to destroy them. You play Oathsworn, monster hunter death squads sent out to hunt monsters for cash (iron in this case).
The game is split between two phases, an adventure section where you are typically choosing locations to move to around a map on a tight turn limit to explore the story of what's going on. In this process your characters might get hurt, earn bonuses for the encounter or gain information about the opposition you will face in the encounter. The free app provides high quality narration of all the adventure text.
The encounter section is a fight against a boss monster. Your characters manage their resources of energy, cards and buff tokens to kill the monster while avoiding getting killed. Cards cost energy and have a cooldown of 0-3 arranged around the player board. Cards at cooldown position 0 return to your hand at the start of your turn, the others stay where they are until another ability card is played to the same location at which point they Battleflow to the next cooldown position or you use a Battleflow effect to move one of them. Cards are played to make attacks and can also be played when you are attacked to increase your armor against an attack. Monsters have multiple hit locations, each with 6 HP, reduce one to zero and you trigger the monster to either play its next AI card, or escalate its AI deck and play another AI card. Monsters otherwise play 1 AI card on their turn. AI cards are face up and can be studied to judge what the monster will do. If an Oathsworn goes to 0 HP, they get an injury card and the player brings a companion character in to fight in their stead. If all the Oathsworn go to 0 HP, you lose. You always have 4 characters, but they can either be run in full complexity with the hand full of cards, or as companions with simplified abilities. We usually had three players so we went with three full characters and one companion. Kill a boss and you lose some gear and get fresh loot.

The game is of the complex boss battler family, the daddy of which is Kingdom Death. I'll throw some comparisons to Kingdom Death: Monster in the Ups/Downs as its the closest relative. It's a grim and gritty game, but its nowhere near as disturbing or perverse as Kingdom Death: Monster, you can play this one in public and people will probably only "ooo" over the giant minis.

Our team was initially the Warden, Witch, Exile and Ursus. Warden is a great tank, the Ursus hit hard and handed out some solid buffs, the Exile was very hard hitting and the Witch was often MVP hitting for big damage, culling minions or putting down hazards for bad guys to run into. A few adventures in the Exile subbed out for the Ranger and she added some needed additional range power.

Ups:
Fights have pretty excellent diversity, almost every encounter so far has had a unique boss miniature and a different hook for every fight. They don't trend towards being samey at all.
Narration on the app is excellent and the writing is of decent quality, board game stories can be a bit hackneyed, but this setting is interesting, they don't beat you over the head with infodumps, mostly you figure out the world through context clues and playing the game.
Characters feel very distinct due to their card decks.
Which characters you help out seem to ripple through game and often crop up later affecting later story events.
Minatures are excellent and gigantic, three boxes equal in size to the core game hold all the boss and terrain miniatures. You even get to customise your character models with different weapons.

Downs:
Loot is not nearly as defining as it is in some games, its very important adjustments to raw combat stats, but the abilities are much smaller in scope compared to your action cards. The crafting in Kingdom Death: Monster is much deeper from this point of view.
You add lots of event cards to the City and Deepwood event deck, but you draw very few cards. In 9 chapters I think we've drawn 4 or 5 event cards in total.
Total table hog, the minis and central board are big

Marmite:
The adventures are quite time constrained if you want to maximise your results and you are often guessing about where to go which can be a bit frustrating. There is good diversity of puzzles and choices there, but some of them did raise the old blood pressure as we agonised over where to go. 1966 era Batman logic was occasionally put to work with surprisingly good effect.

Hints and Tips:
The Battleflow aspect of managing your cards is critical to performing well in encounter mode. It may take you a fight or two to fully understand it, but managing the flow and finding cheeky ways to trigger Battleflow is paramount.
Damage is based on the rolls of exploding dice/cards, so it can spike above the expected range sometimes. HP is your most critical resource in fights as its very rare to get back. If a boss hits you for 11 damage and you have 2 armour, you divide the damage by your armor to see how many HP you lose, in this case 5 HP. However you can play a card from your hand down to increase your armour by its armour value for free when you get attacked and after damage is calculated you can spend armour tokens to increase your armour by one per token spent. So if my Witch got attacked and I played an action card with 3 armour, my armour goes to 5 and I lose 11/5 = 2 HP. If I used an armour token after seeing it was 11 damage, I'd only lose 1 HP.
Play the scenario and the boss. Reading the encounter card carefully and studying the bosses AI card is the third key to victory. You can neutralise many of the bosses strengths by careful play, going head to head with them in a DPS race is usually the dumb option.
You can either roll dice or flip cards for player attacks. The cards are 18 card decks replicating the distribution of the dice, card counting is encouraged and very potent.

Conclusion:
I really dig it, if you are looking for a good decently complex boss battler with a cool story, this is an excellent option.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

dwarf74 posted:

I sorta can't believe it but Katanas and Trenchcoats showed up at my door.

Lol drat, that's amazing. That's what, like a 6 year turnaround time?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jimbozig posted:

Lol drat, that's amazing. That's what, like a 6 year turnaround time?
The campaign was tyool 2016 so... Yeah!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's an excellent write-up for Oathsworn, a game I have been curious about but didn't have much to go on. Great focus on the gameplay experience, which I really appreciate.

Enjoy your absurd probation, I'll miss your contributions :smith:
E: oops I mistook this for the TG boardgames discussion thread, for which KDM is a forbidden topic with zero tolerance. Whoops.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 2, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

E: oops I mistook this for the TG boardgames discussion thread

Lol I had the same exact thought before realizing this is the kickstarter thread.

I don't have my copy of oathsworn yet but I'm hoping it'll come soonish. Been waiting on it a while and I don't have any tracking numbers so I've just gotta keep a lookout for if they arrive or not.

In other news, I received a couple other kickstarter things over the past week. Both of them are some rpg zines. First one is a sequel to Secrets of the Vibrant Isle called Secrets of the Vibrant Sea. Those are solo pen & paper rpgs and while they can be standalone, you can also carry your character from Isle over to Sea. They're from a company called NerdBurger Games and are written by Craig Campbell and Sharene Gilchrist with artwork by Gema Moratilla. I do not know if any of them have worked on anything else or the quality of any of their other work if it exists. Maybe someone here will recognize them. Anyway, the back of both books read as follows.

Secrets of the Vibrant Isle posted:

Secrets of the Vibrant Isle is a solo, tabletop, roleplaying game where you portray a character shipwrecked on a fantastical island. As you play the game, you'll scavenge the shipwreck, protect your camp, improve yourself, and explore many dozens of the island's beautiful wonders and dark corners.

And you'll meet the island's inhabitants.

The island is a mystical place that only allows those it deems worthy to stay. Your character has a limited time to discover all they can, befriend the inhabitants, and prove they are worthy to remain on the Vibrant Isle.

Secrets of the Vibrant Sea posted:

Secrets of the Vibrant Sea is a solo tabletop roleplaying game where you portray a character exploring a fantastical ocean. As you play the game, you'll improve your boat, improve yourself, and explore many dozens of the sea's beautiful wonders and dark caves.

And you'll meet the inhabitants who call the ocean their home.

This ocean is a mystical realm filled with the spirits of those who died seeking the magic of this place. Your character will join forces with locals to face these ghosts and stop their plans... plans that would destroy the island and lay waste to The Vibrant Sea.

You can play this game stand-alone or play the first game in the series (Secrets of the Vibrant Isle) and then continue your character's adventures in this game.

The other thing I got in the mail was Tiny Tome 1. Tiny Tome 1 is a collection of 50 one-page rpg zines from several different creators collected from a zine jam. It was compiled by Long Tail Games. Long Tail did another thing like this once before but it was Tiny Library, a deck of cards where each card had the rules for playing a very small and simple game, also collected from a bunch of different people. The back of the book says this.

Tiny Tome 1 posted:

Tiny Tome is a book of 50 single-page RPGs from dozens of different creators.

This edition collected from submissions in December 2021.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Euthia looks like Mage Knight. Tell me it’s bad so I save my money. Many blessings on you.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

djfooboo posted:

Euthia looks like Mage Knight. Tell me it’s bad so I save my money. Many blessings on you.
Looks way too pricey, fiddly, and takes up a huge amount of table/shelf space. I'd say just stick with Mage Knight (not to say that Mage Knight isn't fiddly either).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

djfooboo posted:

It is often compared to Mage Knight but for my money it's far less interesting. (And way more expensive.) For starters, Mage Knight advancement involves getting a variety of types of powerful cards that you build around as well as support units for your forces in addition to skills specific to your Mage Knight. Euthia's advancement primarily comes in the form of buying randomly available gear tokens from merchants which have one or two pretty boring stat upgrades and/or support a gem slot and the gems are very much "get a little bit more of an effect". There's very little gear variety from what I've seen and it makes you manage tightly restricted slot limits. You do also get character specific skills from a small set occasionally and these are slightly more exciting but not infrequently are competing with a better weapon - weapons are also character specific and are one of your two choices for that XP rank. I'm sure there are people for whom these systems are exciting but I am definitely not one of them.

Secondly, combat is much less puzzly, involves dice roll-offs, and has substantially less individual character to the enemies because they consist of health, damage range when they roll, and possibly having tokens to buy rerolls (with a bonus) or additional powerup cards from a shared deck (characters also get both the tokens and the cards over time). Instead of an intense puzzle modified by a bunch of unique special effects, it's dice. Woo.

There are things that could be interesting ideas: elementals that affect things in their immediate radius and can be raided to maybe (randomly) get an elemental gem; mining; having tokens for different types of action on your turn that are also what you spend for movement. That kinda thing. But I don't think they add up to a game I'd want to own or are implemented in a compelling way.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I heard Mage Knight and got all excited about clicky bases and Black Powder Rebels.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

djfooboo posted:

It's way too expensive, even compared to other big box games and SFG being involved isn't super reassuring

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Echophonic posted:

Man, I heard Mage Knight and got all excited about clicky bases and Black Powder Rebels.

Preach, brother. Heroclix feels like it's on life support atm, perhaps we'll get a proper reboot if the IP gets sold off in a firesale.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
My brother and his wife just launched their Fantasy Feasting cookbook on kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/youmaytry/fantasy-feasting

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Thanks for talking me off the ledge goons.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

djfooboo posted:

Thanks for talking me off the ledge goons.

Just to double down: 100% of Steam forge games have been absolutely dog poo poo and had disastrous fulfilment with hugely expensive shipping. Given the track record, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Just to double down: 100% of Steam forge games have been absolutely dog poo poo and had disastrous fulfilment with hugely expensive shipping. Given the track record, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

While I don't disagree with you, it's worth noting that Steamforged is only handling production. The game itself isn't their design.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's also worth noting gently caress Steamforged forever for killing Guild Ball so they could become CMON junior.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

rydiafan posted:

It's also worth noting gently caress Steamforged forever for killing Guild Ball so they could become CMON junior.

Yeah that was a real dick move

redegglamp
May 24, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Ah crap i backed animal adventures: the faraway sea and i think theyre producing the minis on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rydiafan posted:

Wasn't that because of the reason "We don't like the way everyone is playing the game!" which was, like, making good lists?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't that because of the reason "We don't like the way everyone is playing the game!" which was, like, making good lists?

Yup, basically they had an initial idea of making lots of teams that never got expanded, however it was a faction based soccer/football inspired games, so very quickly people were clamoring for more stuff for "their" faction.
So they printed more players, the problem was if they printed someone sub par, the community correctly panned it as unplayable and if they printed something too good, it was broken*.
Balancing for a competitive game is a tricky business** so Steamforged after making ludicrous bank on a Dark Souls boardgame*** kickstarter instead decided to become CMON light and make licensed boardgames and D&D minis.

The killer was, they lied to the player base about Guild Balls future, then put out an incredibly passive aggressive news post where they blamed the player base for being toxic for trying to win games and it was the players fault they had to can the game. Then in the last fictions they have the characters comment that the game has gotten too cruel because of the terrible terrible fans in the terraces.

They aren't a terrible good company for mechanics at all, however they are only acting as publisher for Euthia, so if you want the game, it'll be as good as the last printing of it.

*= Corbelli was released and was immediately busted, Miners Guilds core concept was just broken etc
**= I played Alchemists, the faction was ground up redesigned once a year for the games lifespan
***= A board game with an alright concept that was just terribly bad in actual play, grindy and RNG tastic, just unpleasant. They more recently did a cash in Dark Souls RPG which is a 5E reskin of terrible mechanics and astounding laziness with D&D monster stat blocks just renamed as Dark Souls monsters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HidaO-Win posted:

***= A board game with an alright concept that was just terribly bad in actual play, grindy and RNG tastic, just unpleasant. They more recently did a cash in Dark Souls RPG which is a 5E reskin of terrible mechanics and astounding laziness with D&D monster stat blocks just renamed as Dark Souls monsters.

The Dark Souls boardgame was honestly a great boardgame translation of being bad at Dark Souls.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Moon Monster posted:

The Dark Souls boardgame was honestly a great boardgame translation of being bad at Dark Souls.
There's apparently a complete overhaul variant on BGG that I've wanted to try as the "definitive" version of the board game, fixing a lot of the grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

redegglamp posted:

Ah crap i backed animal adventures: the faraway sea and i think theyre producing the minis on it.

I haven't had any problems with any of the Animal Adventures projects in the past