Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Thinking about it now Gaetz is exactly the kind of dude who probably followed Trump around and copied his style like Charlie Sheen did Michael Douglas in Wall Street. And when you look at Gaetz's behavior/comments he's pretty clearly attempting to ape Trump's belligerent, "always attack/never apologize" media persona.

Lmao, I wasn't sure when it was first brought up, but that picture on the left is 100% Robbie Rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Concerning Gaetz, in those photos he looks like a horrifying facsimile an AI would attempt to generate, for example:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Matt gaetz looks like both beavis and butthead

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone one of this right wing a-holes has the exact same look when they "smile": a massive straining grin, and an absolutely blank and lifeless shark-eyed stare bereft of the simple joy they're desperately trying to convey to you that they're ostensibly feeling. It's utterly chilling when you recognize it.

It's the exact look Homelander from The Boys is always giving, desperately holding back utter contempt for every other human being on the planet.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

VideoGameVet posted:

If they were SMS messages, then they exist on a server somewhere.

I got the impression that because they were sent using iMessage, the actual contents may not be retrievable, but I'm not real smart on encryption stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

He looks like Robbie Rotten from Lazytown.

Stefán Karl Stefánsson was a treasure and should not be slandered in this way.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Stefán Karl Stefánsson was a treasure and should not be slandered in this way.

Think of it as a testament to his acting skills that he could capture the essence of douchebag so completely.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

V-Men posted:

I got the impression that because they were sent using iMessage, the actual contents may not be retrievable, but I'm not real smart on encryption stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong, but having done messaging apps even iMessage's go to a server. Evidence? My iMessages on my phone also appear on my MacBook.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yep, this is fine.

Looks like we can add DOD to the list.
https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1554560529355706369

EDIT: An excerpt from the article for those who haven't yet read it.

quote:

A former Defense Department official from a previous administration told CNN that it is ingrained into new hires during their onboarding that their work devices were subject to the Presidential Records Act and indicated their communications would be archived. The source said it was assumed when they turned in their devices at the end of their employment, any communication records would be archived.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 3, 2022

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Plain, unencrypted SMS going through a cellular network won't be fully backed up because there's no monetary benefit. Messages may be backed up temporarily to permit sending in case of outages, but after they are sent those temporary copies would also disappear. The provider typically has a log, similar to a call log, with timestamp and destination, but those aren't necessarily retained forever either.

It's not impossible that downstream systems have copies of original text. Analytics systems may get messages to drive advertising, for example, but that data is sent without PII and cannot be connected back to the original senders.

The usual approach is predicated on specific legal requests, which provide a window of coverage and are filed quickly to avoid automated systems that dump data otherwise considered unimportant/routine. Data storage is not cheap, despite what you've heard. :/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Plain, unencrypted SMS going through a cellular network won't be fully backed up because there's no monetary benefit. Messages may be backed up temporarily to permit sending in case of outages, but after they are sent those temporary copies would also disappear. The provider typically has a log, similar to a call log, with timestamp and destination, but those aren't necessarily retained forever either.

It's not impossible that downstream systems have copies of original text. Analytics systems may get messages to drive advertising, for example, but that data is sent without PII and cannot be connected back to the original senders.

The usual approach is predicated on specific legal requests, which provide a window of coverage and are filed quickly to avoid automated systems that dump data otherwise considered unimportant/routine. Data storage is not cheap, despite what you've heard. :/

That might be true, but I also suspect an agency with the initials NSA might be keeping track of that as well.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

VideoGameVet posted:

That might be true, but I also suspect an agency with the initials NSA might be keeping track of that as well.

True, but if it turns out the nsa was 'spying' on trumps secret service then Maga beats the "deep state conspiracy" drum

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Uglycat posted:

True, but if it turns out the nsa was 'spying' on trumps secret service then Maga beats the "deep state conspiracy" drum

You know what? gently caress 'em. Let them beat their drum all the way to prison.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Uglycat posted:

Good.

Note: I'm the founder of Deep State Games :-)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can't they just subpoena the NSA to get the texts?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Uglycat posted:

They have been beating that drum for years and will continue to do it no matter what happens so who cares?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Ynglaur posted:

Can't they just subpoena the NSA to get the texts?

Maybe? If it's end to end encryption, you'd just have the Metadata and encrypted message.

Also, nsa won't reveal that stuff in public channels - famously, they listen, they don't speak.

But there could be something useful for parallel reconstruction by a prosecutor or investigator with adequate clearance ???

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Yep, this is fine.

Looks like we can add DOD to the list.
https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1554560529355706369

EDIT: An excerpt from the article for those who haven't yet read it.

Chris Miller and Kash Patel (and Ezra Cohen Watnick) have been in on all this from the very beginning, via Mike Flynn.

https://daniel-ed-morrison.medium.com/the-whole-history-of-weaponised-unreality-1c2f987bcbed

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Chris Miller and Kash Patel (and Ezra Cohen Watnick) have been in on all this from the very beginning, via Mike Flynn.

https://daniel-ed-morrison.medium.com/the-whole-history-of-weaponised-unreality-1c2f987bcbed

And they all swore oaths, yeah?

Unhung.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Uglycat posted:

And they all swore oaths, yeah?

I’m pretty sure they did, Uglycat!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Justice Dept. Subpoenas Pat Cipollone, Trump White House Counsel

Mr. Cipollone is the highest-ranking White House official working for President Donald J. Trump during his final days in office who is known to have been called to testify by federal investigators.

Pat A. Cipollone, the White House counsel under former President Donald J. Trump who tried to stop some of his more extreme efforts to overturn the 2020 election, has been subpoenaed by a federal grand jury investigating activities in the lead-up to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, a person familiar with the subpoena said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/02/us/politics/pat-cipollone-subpoena.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

VideoGameVet posted:

Justice Dept. Subpoenas Pat Cipollone, Trump White House Counsel

Mr. Cipollone is the highest-ranking White House official working for President Donald J. Trump during his final days in office who is known to have been called to testify by federal investigators.

Pat A. Cipollone, the White House counsel under former President Donald J. Trump who tried to stop some of his more extreme efforts to overturn the 2020 election, has been subpoenaed by a federal grand jury investigating activities in the lead-up to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, a person familiar with the subpoena said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/02/us/politics/pat-cipollone-subpoena.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Here we loving GO!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
They need to subpoena Flynn, and DOJ needs to charge him with treason.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

They need to subpoena Flynn, and DOJ needs to charge him with treason.

Can't they recall him to active duty then court martial him? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere.

Yeah, here.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This MIGHT be an important development:

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1554903595258191872

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I was watching this live and it was glorious. The platiniff's lawyers locked it up. He was even on a hot mic in the break after throwing this down "Here is something nobody has thought about yet. What happens when law enforcement gets their hands on this phone?" Because it shows he's been lying and hiding his financials, his testimony during the trial, his employees were lying, and so on.

It's literally doomsday for Alex Jones. He's losing a lot of money at best, and going to prison at worst.

And I'm glad those January 6th folks move fast. Because this is 2 years worth of texts and emails so it covers January 6th.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I was watching this live and it was glorious. The platiniff's lawyers locked it up. He was even on a hot mic in the break after throwing this down "Here is something nobody has thought about yet. What happens when law enforcement gets their hands on this phone?" Because it shows he's been lying and hiding his financials, his testimony during the trial, his employees were lying, and so on.

It's literally doomsday for Alex Jones. He's losing a lot of money at best, and going to prison at worst.

And I'm glad those January 6th folks move fast. Because this is 2 years worth of texts and emails so it covers January 6th.

Not only does it cover January 6, it covers the build-up to the 2020 election. I'd almost certainly guarantee there's Steve Bannon-level premeditation for crimes there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The plaintiff's lawyer just had the best day he's ever going to have in his professional career, might as well just retire and go out on top.

The hot mic was great, he was just musing aloud about the possibilities, and probably fully erect while doing so. Jones' lawyer by contrast was white as a sheet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

making_it_rain_but_indictments.gif

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mdemone posted:

The plaintiff's lawyer just had the best day he's ever going to have in his professional career, might as well just retire and go out on top.

The hot mic was great, he was just musing aloud about the possibilities, and probably fully erect while doing so. Jones' lawyer by contrast was white as a sheet.

Jones himself, on the stand, called it a "Perry Mason Moment" and he was unwittingly 100% correct. This could very well be the moment where good unexpectedly triumphs over evil, quite roundly in fact.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Are you saving backups, of a criminal fuckin' conspiracy...?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

nine-gear crow posted:

Jones himself, on the stand, called it a "Perry Mason Moment" and he was unwittingly 100% correct. This could very well be the moment where good unexpectedly triumphs over evil, quite roundly in fact.

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1554876349680173057

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jones's lawyer has got to be turbofucked here too, right? He knew this stuff existed during discovery and deliberately hid it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jones's lawyer has got to be turbofucked here too, right? He knew this stuff existed during discovery and deliberately hid it.

I think that may be giving the guy too much credit, to be honest.

Saved by your own utter incompetence has to be the opposite of the saying 'hoist by your own petard.'

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

He's worse off than Jones as a result of this. He'll get sanctioned and probably disbarred. Maybe even prosecuted if the DA wants his scalp.

Jones is hosed in a wider scope of ways, but those aren't all clear yet.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oracle posted:

I think that may be giving the guy too much credit, to be honest.

Saved by your own utter incompetence has to be the opposite of the saying 'hoist by your own petard.'

They had ten days to declare it privileged, and try to have it excluded, and they didn't.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

He's a rich white man in America with conservative political connections. I'd love for that to be true, but it's far from certain.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He doesn't have political connections; he's one of the parasites.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

He doesn't have political connections; he's one of the parasites.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/04/28/alex-jones-sandy-hook-january-6/

quote:

Trump received support from Jones during his 2016 presidential campaign.

Former Trump adviser and Republican strategist Roger Stone was a paid Infowars host in 2015, and Stone connected Jones with Trump for an Infowars interview in December that year in which the soon-to-be president lauded Jones.

“Your reputation is amazing,” Trump told Jones on his show.

Jones likely played an outsized role in Trump’s election, according to Elizabeth Williamson, author of “Sandy Hook: An American Tragedy and the Battle for Truth.” The book investigates how the shooting warped into an attack on the truth from Jones and online conspiracy theorists.

Williamson said Jones was able to foresee how disaffected individuals who were also highly distrustful of the government could propel Trump to a primary victory.

“He became something of a kingmaker in the race, and with that came a really high profile that he didn't understand completely,” Williamson said. “I think he's reaping the results of that.”

Listen I don't like how dumb this reality is any more than you, but you're wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

He's a rich white man in America with conservative political connections. I'd love for that to be true, but it's far from certain.

I'm gonna trot out a post someone else made that I absolutely agree with about this last night.

quote:

"For those of you claiming nothing will happen, he's white and he's rich: your logic is sound but your conclusion is incorrect. Yes, he's white and he's rich. But he's also making a joke of the legal system, and courts cannot abide that. Especially when thousands of dumbfuck yokels are watching. If AJ fans figure out they can gum up the works like this -- hire the dumbest lawyer you can and play dumb as an affirmative defense -- and suffer no consequences? The system falls apart. The system is extremely interested in making sure there is no question as to who gets the last laugh, and it's always them.

AJ can gently caress around a bit, but it is clear the judge is done with him and is preparing punishments that go beyond the scope of the trial itself. Sanctions, contempt, jail time, all of that is on the table"

And today he got found out committing at worst a criminal conspiracy and at best misrepresenting his financial assets and perjury. He's hosed and going to be losing a lot of money. At worst he's looking at jail time.