Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duckman2008 posted:

Hello.

We are having issues with our property manager (we rent).

Is this a thread ti ask about legal advice on what rights we have as renters ?

There’s the legal questions in A/T but we’re all just gonna tell you to hit up a local attorney who specializes in LL/Tenant law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
After reading your post, def talk to the lawyer and good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Never forget that a lovely landlord retaliating in dumb ways is what ultimately led forums superstar Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud/Citizen Tayne/Tori CMOS/annoying bastard to be a homeowner. If your lawyer thinks you have a case, they’ll get you moving in the right direction.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, for sure lawyer sounds right.

We’re in Illinois if anyone happens to know renters rights here

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The only IL lawyer I can think of off the top of my head is mastershakeman but he doesn’t post in these parts much nor do I know what type of law he’s currently practicing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, for sure lawyer sounds right.

We’re in Illinois if anyone happens to know renters rights here

Are you Chicago or downstate? There are renters assistance groups in Chicago that may at least be a resource.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Are you Chicago or downstate? There are renters assistance groups in Chicago that may at least be a resource.

Other Illinois , I’m near st Louis but thank you !

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I can understand your legal issue, but a maid service might be cheaper than an attorney.

and all HOAs can rot in hell.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

This in no way at all legal advice even a little bit, but if the HOA is so friendly I wonder what would happen if you got a letter from them confirming that they have no problem with these things and wish you all the best, and gave it to the property manager?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

I can understand your legal issue, but a maid service might be cheaper than an attorney.

and all HOAs can rot in hell.

If it came to it like yeah, I would. I’ll avoid going E/N on this, we just had a bunch of stuff the past 6 months and it affected us. That said, it’s not like, disgusting bad or something , it’s def fixable either way.

Organza Quiz posted:

This in no way at all legal advice even a little bit, but if the HOA is so friendly I wonder what would happen if you got a letter from them confirming that they have no problem with these things and wish you all the best, and gave it to the property manager?

That’s what I’m working on getting today, and I’m hoping that this cools everything down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Lawyer up, document everything, and get a front door camera.

My guess is the new neighbors are complaining but it could be anything. Make sure you can prove your side of the story.

Also, realistically, a lot of the ways this can end land on some version of you moving away, so it can't hurt to look for places to move to.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 1, 2022

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Muir posted:

And this is why I think people critiquing people for using Esq. is dumb. Some people do it because they're self-important douches, sure, but other people do it because that's the prevailing custom in their area or field, or because they're required to.

TO THE HONORABLE JUDGE OF SAID COURT:

COMES NOW, Plaintiff Muir ("Muir"), by and through his counsel, the undersigned,, and hereby submits, on the basis of attached evidence and information and belief, Muir's Response and Arguments in Opposition to, and Memorandum in Support, of Plaintiff Muir's Motion in Support of Opposition to Non Use of Esquire, by and through his counsel, the undersigned,, and HEREBY REQUESTS from Said Honorable Court a ruling in blah blah blah blah

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

COMES NOW,

:gizz:

Lol

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

EwokEntourage posted:

COMES NOW, Plaintiff Muir ("Muir"), by and through his counsel, the undersigned,, and hereby submits, on the basis of attached evidence and information and belief, Muir's Response and Arguments in Opposition to, and Memorandum in Support, of Plaintiff Muir's Motion in Support of Opposition to Non Use of Esquire, by and through his counsel, the undersigned,, and HEREBY REQUESTS from Said Honorable Court a ruling in blah blah blah blah

I have an OC I have 3 cases against who files all of her motions like this and refuses to accept service by email. :negative:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Putting esquire in a document actually means "douche."

I always feel obligated to agree with these discussions.

Do forum posts count as documents?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If it isn't written on papyrus I burn it as affront to Sobek and curse the line of the person who sent it me to the 7th generation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Toona the Cat posted:

I have an OC I have 3 cases against who files all of her motions like this and refuses to accept service by email. :negative:

I write that crap in every motion I file through local counsel. So they can bill to edit it out.

I am job creator.

Worship me.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

To follow up from earlier, I decided to stay at Oklahoma. My study buddy transferred to a similarly ranked school as Texas, and he instantly got interviews at almost all of the V10 firms, which is nuts. Really shows the advantage of going to a top law school.

OCIs are going very well for me though, and I am cool with my decision. I have an offer for next summer at my top choice firm, as well as some interviews at some biglaw firms that I am a little curious about. Barring unforeseen poo poo, it should be ok. Knock on wood.

Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread, I took it seriously.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hope it works out for you.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Celot posted:

To follow up from earlier, I decided to stay at Oklahoma. My study buddy transferred to a similarly ranked school as Texas, and he instantly got interviews at almost all of the V10 firms, which is nuts. Really shows the advantage of going to a top law school.

OCIs are going very well for me though, and I am cool with my decision. I have an offer for next summer at my top choice firm, as well as some interviews at some biglaw firms that I am a little curious about. Barring unforeseen poo poo, it should be ok. Knock on wood.

How close are you to your study buddy?

Hope it works out!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Good luck, friend. And good luck to your friend, as well. I hope both of y'all succeed in your legal careers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Celot posted:

Guest posting in the thread to say:

lmao. just lol.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

thanks y’all

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is anyone here nerdy enough to go to Defcon? And if so will you be at the lawyer happy hour?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is anyone here nerdy enough to go to Defcon? And if so will you be at the lawyer happy hour?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Celot posted:

thanks y’all

Good luck!

We're not liable if this was a bad idea!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

please view the below clip, thank you

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1554877272070529024

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Beautiful

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

:golfclap:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Can Texas law goons explain the 10 days? Do you have a procedural or statutory obligation to assert privilege on discovery within 10 days? Does the other side need to provide opportunity or notice on intent to use?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

*Pounding table* More! We need more of this!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pook Good Mook posted:

Can Texas law goons explain the 10 days? Do you have a procedural or statutory obligation to assert privilege on discovery within 10 days? Does the other side need to provide opportunity or notice on intent to use?

quote:

Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 193.3(d), commonly known as the “snap-back” provision. The snap-back provision provides that:

“A party who produces material or information without intending to waive a claim of privilege does not waive that claim under these Rules of Evidence if-within ten days or shorter time ordered by the court, after the producing party actually discovers that such production was made-the producing party amends the response, identifying the material or information produced and stating the privilege asserted.”
https://jrjoneslaw.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/texas-snap-back-provision-protects-inadvertent-disclosure-of-privileged-material/

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

thanks y’all

well, I THINK you made a fine decision, and I support you/.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
And OIDS is almost always hiring.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Are any of you nerds in benefits/exec comp work? Pondering a terrible idea career change. Background in spoilers below because it's not revealing too much about myself on the internet if it's in spoilers.

Used to do basic corporate tax biglaw poo poo, currently doing general corporate KM in biglaw but I'm bored and want to return to tax and kind of want to return to practicing. Benefits always seemed interesting, and if I'm going to make the shift now would probably be the time, but I'm trying to make up my mind.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Come join me in family law insanity bliss

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Words you thought you'd never see:

"I'm bored and want to return to tax"

I concede that the Smokey Yunick aspect of tax law could be fun and interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQlCOmXuHM

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Also Comp is like being a tax lawyer but less interesting and less lucrative - you're at the beck and call of M&A lawyers leading the deal, generally, and are going to be given stuff at the last minute and told "fix this by three hours ago."

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I mean that matches my experience with tax anyway, so I might as well learn a new to me and exciting field of law with it.

And I'm not being sarcastic either, I like tax stuff. Have an LLM and everything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you like tax go work for the IRS they’re hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you like tax go work for the IRS they’re hiring.

Pay might be disappointing after working corporate big law. Not that it's bad pay (unless you're in a high COL area like San Francisco) but it's not big law pay. On the other hand it's true 40 hour work weeks with an expectation to actually use your vacation time.

Note that IRS counsel work outside DC is mostly litigation.