Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pattonesque posted:

Freelancer voice: "We don't *run* Revachol, but we have an *understanding* with the people who do"

Just popping in to laugh at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Empty Sandwich posted:

you must compress your poo poo before venturing forth

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Suzerain of Revachol straddled Elysium like a coked up colossus for hundreds of years, which resulted in ethnicities and cultures from all over the world winding up in its apricot-flavored melting pot, even long after its fall to the Commune and then to the Coalition. Why on not-Earth would you expect it to only have "authentic" French or UK accents?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So guess whose 3rd playthrough (and 4th playthrough I'm involved in) found out your case file can tell you your scores on sorry/communism/etc.

And I don't mean I didn't notice it, I mean I never found the case file or wasn't playing when it was found so I never knew that did things. I always thought it was weird your case notes had a blank rectangle that never filled in/didn't show kims notes.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Alchenar posted:

My only query about the sequel is that DE feels like a pretty complete manifesto and that manifesto is what makes it special (otherwise it's just a trivially easy point and click adventure game). Where do you go from there?

lol if there is one thing you shouldn't worry from a crack team of communist writers is their output and what they can develop from there

expect 10k words on random lore blurbs. Rhetoric and Encyclopedia will tag team to provide a complete grundrisse on the political economy of Revachol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

lol if there is one thing you shouldn't worry from a crack team of communist writers is their output and what they can develop from there

expect 10k words on random lore blurbs. Rhetoric and Encyclopedia will tag team to provide a complete grundrisse on the political economy of Revachol

Counterpoint:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
DE2 will be the Das Kapital to DE1's Communist Manifesto

ten times the length and full of way too many words about the market price of fabric

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I just finished this masterpiece yesterday after about 6 months, baby, so am finally allowing myself to post in this thread! Disco.

I immediately want to play it again. I feel like I must have missed so much.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 3, 2022

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I went to a concert last night and someone recognized my Star And Antlers shirt so that was nice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

RubberLuffy posted:

I went to a concert last night and someone recognized my Star And Antlers shirt so that was nice.

Was it a British Sea Power concert?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s just Sea Power now.

Also i previously said the sequel should be named Jamrock Shuffle but I’ve reconsidered. You should play as a paledriver and the game should be titled Motorway South

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s just Sea Power now.

Also i previously said the sequel should be named Jamrock Shuffle but I’ve reconsidered. You should play as a paledriver and the game should be titled Motorway South

Disco II: Aerostatic Boogaloo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Disco Elysium 2: Boogie Street

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
An Armistice With The Furies

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hope the next game is about wömen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why do you want it to focus on the bourgeoisie

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

jiggerypokery posted:

I immediately want to play it again. I feel like I must have missed so much.

Discoers: post your highly curated list of can't-miss, iconic moments that warrant going back and making sure you experience if you didn't in your first playthrough.

Mine:

1. Full conversation with the cryptid. I actually missed this the first time (god forbid I make Harry take a loving shower now and then), and as a result I felt like the game's ending was kind of abrupt and unsatisfying. I had to go back and edit my save to finally get it, but man was it worth it. Of all the things to culminate in this incredibly human moment of hope and surrealism, that stupid loving bug fetch quest had to be it. The game's last sequences are incredibly incomplete without this.
2. Payphone calls from the boardwalk. My IRL version of Harry's relationship ended years ago, and I'm in a much better one now, but man did this scene bring it all back and gently caress me up. You don't really have a clear sense of what happened to Harry or who That Woman was at this point in the game, but the nigh-impossible Volition needed to stop you from making the call immediately makes it clear, and it's only more torturous from there. It's amazing not so much from the writing, but from the fact that a game mechanic itself can be used to communicate something emotionally devastating.
3. Graffiti, yours and Cindy's. I just think this is one of those moments that may seem small in the scheme of things, but it's another place where the game tips its hand: it's about failure, yes, but it's also about hope.
4. The island dream. If the payphone scene cuts deep, the dream rips your heart out. Heartache and broken relationships are not exactly new ground in art, but I've never personally experienced something that so acutely brings back the idiotic desperation of wanting this thing back in your life. Especially a thing you know is fictitious and idealized, but some part of you doesn't loving care and will never completely let go of wanting it back.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Brosnan posted:

Discoers: post your highly curated list of can't-miss, iconic moments that warrant going back and making sure you experience if you didn't in your first playthrough.

Mine:

1. Full conversation with the cryptid. I actually missed this the first time (god forbid I make Harry take a loving shower now and then), and as a result I felt like the game's ending was kind of abrupt and unsatisfying. I had to go back and edit my save to finally get it, but man was it worth it. Of all the things to culminate in this incredibly human moment of hope and surrealism, that stupid loving bug fetch quest had to be it. The game's last sequences are incredibly incomplete without this.
2. Payphone calls from the boardwalk. My IRL version of Harry's relationship ended years ago, and I'm in a much better one now, but man did this scene bring it all back and gently caress me up. You don't really have a clear sense of what happened to Harry or who That Woman was at this point in the game, but the nigh-impossible Volition needed to stop you from making the call immediately makes it clear, and it's only more torturous from there. It's amazing not so much from the writing, but from the fact that a game mechanic itself can be used to communicate something emotionally devastating.
3. Graffiti, yours and Cindy's. I just think this is one of those moments that may seem small in the scheme of things, but it's another place where the game tips its hand: it's about failure, yes, but it's also about hope.
4. The island dream. If the payphone scene cuts deep, the dream rips your heart out. Heartache and broken relationships are not exactly new ground in art, but I've never personally experienced something that so acutely brings back the idiotic desperation of wanting this thing back in your life. Especially a thing you know is fictitious and idealized, but some part of you doesn't loving care and will never completely let go of wanting it back.

I missed all of these but the first one on my first playthrough, although the worst thing I missed was Joyce's explanation of the Pale. I already knew the Pale was a thing from reading about the game beforehand, but I'm still really mad I didn't get to hear her explanation blind.

Also a very important question: how would you map the 4 possible combinations of shaved/unshaved and expression/no expression to the four different ideologies? It's hard to limit dead inside no sideburns no expression Harry to just one of them. I do have my own answers but I'd like to hear other people's first...

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

midnight lasagna posted:

I missed all of these but the first one on my first playthrough, although the worst thing I missed was Joyce's explanation of the Pale. I already knew the Pale was a thing from reading about the game beforehand, but I'm still really mad I didn't get to hear her explanation blind.

Also a very important question: how would you map the 4 possible combinations of shaved/unshaved and expression/no expression to the four different ideologies? It's hard to limit dead inside no sideburns no expression Harry to just one of them. I do have my own answers but I'd like to hear other people's first...

shaved no-expression | shaved expression
------------------------------------------------------------------------
unshaved no-expression| unshaved expression

Shaving is a concern towards bowing towards society as an authority rather than a participant

The Expression is being delusional. And an expression of pain.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
One thing I really appreciate about the writing in this game is that it's so *easy* to write up any piece of media in Disco Elysium style. Like all you really have to do is imagine if what you're writing is something the narrator would say and it fits.

Pattonesque posted:

ASHLEY: You've got to choose, commander. Which one of us do you want?

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: You're the *love commander*, boss. You *need* to do this. A spicy blueberry pie with the chief and the doctor.

VOLITION: This is a *bad* idea. It's a bad idea all around. You need to focus on the mission. On *Ilos*

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: Don't you gently caress this up for us, crownhead. You'll be much more focused after a *space threesome*

EMPATHY: The doctor will probably go for it. The chief will not.

SUGGESTION: Let me at least try. You're Commander Rafael Ambrosius Cousteau. You bend reality to your will.

AUTHORITY: YES

LOGIC: This would have been far less complicated had you left the chief on Virmire.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: You can't love *atoms*.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Brosnan posted:

1. Dancing in the church & ordering Kim to join you.

2. Shooting yourself in the head to "make a point".

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Brosnan posted:

I was utterly convinced this whole thing was an exercise in futility even as I dutifully did everything and the end came as a complete surprise to me

the necktie didn't talk to me on my first complete run, and then I took it off without thinking just before the tribunal

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

church and a lot of my other can’t-misses have already been touched on but the conversation with La Revacholiere after losing yourself to the ecstasy of anodic dance hits hard as well. I got it on my second playthrough as ultraliberal apocalypse cop

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I missed this on my first playthrough: The encounter with The Pigs is one of the best set pieces in the whole game. It really leans into all of DE's strengths, and hammers home the danger inherent to your weapon in a way that adds real weight to the later tribunal. Plus the resolution/Hardie epilogue adds important depth to the Hardies/the local community.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

midnight lasagna posted:

US/E: Communism
US/NE: Moralism
S:E: Ultraliberal
S/NE: Fascism

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aoi posted:

US/E: Communism
US/NE: Moralism
S:E: Ultraliberal
S/NE: Fascism

I go back and forth on the first two, but the last ones are spot on.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I want to do a bad cop run but I can't handle fully voiced Kim Kitsuragi being mad at me.
I'd pay good money to have his voice actor read an audio book or something. Am I part of the homosexual agenda?! :gay:

An iconic moment I didn't see mentioned yet:
Testing the intercom and getting the spooky ghost/recording/echo lady on the other end. I'm not sure how it connects exactly to anything else but it was the first thing in the game that really set the tone for me on how strange the game can get.

One of my favorites is Volition (I might have that mixed up) cutting in on your interrogation of Klaasje and calling out how compromised your thought processes are, and then all of them talking back denying that anything is wrong. Making your skills your literal thought process is so loving good.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

One of my favorites is Volition (I might have that mixed up) cutting in on your interrogation of Klaasje and calling out how compromised your thought processes are, and then all of them talking back denying that anything is wrong. Making your skills your literal thought process is so loving good.

I also love that after this if they realize something's going on, they all overcompensate. All the skills helping you deal with people is so good, but somehow when someone completely outmaneuvers you, leaving you with no tools for genuine conclusions, it's even better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I want to do a bad cop run but I can't handle fully voiced Kim Kitsuragi being mad at me.
I'd pay good money to have his voice actor read an audio book or something. Am I part of the homosexual agenda?! :gay:

Testing the intercom and getting the spooky ghost/recording/echo lady on the other end. I'm not sure how it connects exactly to anything else but it was the first thing in the game that really set the tone for me on how strange the game can get.

Oddly enough I think you're getting the truth when Electrochemistry says it hasn't been compromised. The problem is that Electrochemistry's just like that with everyone.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Oh yeah, that last one was just amazing. It kinda hits you between the eyes in a "oh poo poo" kind of way and pulls the rug from under you. All of a sudden you don't know how much you can trust your instincts, if at all, when it comes to this topic. It's even better when you talk to Kim and he's like "I assure you, I am not compromised"

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

extremely good one

so, Pale interferes with electric transmission and once the information there becomes past, said interference can be "stuck" in circuits, leading to be manifest from the past elsewhere. That was a call from very, very long ago that got there

even better is that there is pale radiation phenomena happening in Martinaise when the collapse limit is like thousands of miles away, though!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My iconic game moments worth doing a replay for:

1) the culmination of the necktie's narrative at the tribunal if you've made all the passive checks talking with it all along

2) speaking with La Revacholiere

3) the ferris wheel

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My iconic game moments worth doing a replay for:

1) the culmination of the necktie's narrative at the tribunal if you've made all the passive checks talking with it all along

2) speaking with La Revacholiere

3) the cock carousel

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

3) the ferris wheel

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: Smell that, baby? That's the scent of missed content. You're not sure what this is but suddenly it's the only thing that matters. You need to know all about it, yesterday.

Seriously though the only scene I found was Kim mentioning a Ferris Wheel but apparently there's more?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I guess more of a significant moment than an iconic one but Kim's 'just don't tell her you know how she feels. You don't' is the one line that's stuck with me over anything else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think I got exactly 0 of any of these moments. Hoping someday to see them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If you say 'two days maybe' it will be etched in her mind forever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I never got the ferris wheel one but it looks like its added in the last big update as a cheevo for the working woman quest, which was one of my favorites and a real gut punch.

Need to do another playthrough I think

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

One of my favourite things was just deciding to sober up but having my loving necktie constantly tempting me with how much fun we could be having. It's subtle but incredibly poignant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm paused in the middle of a Bad Cop playthrough and I've got the spirits and the necktie yelling at me and I'm PUMPED