Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I started redoing the plexiglass, I didn't have a perfect template to go off as the plexiglass on there was pretty haggard and broken all ready. This is the back, It's not perfect but it fits the frame perfectly. Going to put thin black rubber or something around the border to hide my not straight cuts and make it look a little nicer. Then gonna use some 3m window weld or black silicone to adhere and maybe a few self tappers just to be safe.

3 more to go, they should get cleaner as I get more experience.

If you have any ideas on a better way to attach the plexiglass id love to know.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fallows posted:

That front facing one looks like its gonna have a really good view. If the quality of your fab/mechanic work is any indication of your driving skill then some very nice video is gonna come out of those go pros!

Ahahahha no fab doesn't = driving skill. I'll be happy with not a danger to anyone else or myself. Autox will be fine if the car doesn't break anything. Track will start rough and end slow. I know the concepts but actually getting up to speed is a long process that takes seat time.

Fallows posted:

I started redoing the plexiglass, I didn't have a perfect template to go off as the plexiglass on there was pretty haggard and broken all ready. This is the back, It's not perfect but it fits the frame perfectly. Going to put thin black rubber or something around the border to hide my not straight cuts and make it look a little nicer. Then gonna use some 3m window weld or black silicone to adhere and maybe a few self tappers just to be safe.

3 more to go, they should get cleaner as I get more experience.

If you have any ideas on a better way to attach the plexiglass id love to know.

Does it have to be water tight? If yes window urethane and you're done.

If not foam and rivets. Foam being the kind of door or window foam you'd find at a hardware store. Don't 100% the rivets. Send them till the window is under tension then stop and cut the excess off.

Option b use rivnuts (aka nutserts) to add threaded female spots to bolt to.

Option c dzus fastners. These are 1/4 turn quick connectors. Extra fab, very fast to remove.

Option d put the stock glass back in. poo poo works great.

The big considerations are:
1. How much do you need lightness
2. Water proof?
3. How quickly do you want to be able to remove it. I.e. is this a common I need it out of the way panel.
4. Cost.

For example I need light and cheap, water is ok, don't have to remove it often = foam and rivets.

Light, water ok, remove constantly = dzus

Light no water, removal is hell = window urethane.

Just seal the back half, I'm not racing in a class? Stock.

I did get case mods done today.

They're all showing pass through charging so hooray. Cutouts are hacked af but whatever. Some protection from the cases and good enough.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

honda whisperer posted:

They're all showing pass through charging so hooray. Cutouts are hacked af but whatever. Some protection from the cases and good enough.

if it makes you feel any better I did this with a drill bit and hogged it out a bit tilting the drill sideways. My case looks way more hosed. :lol:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

if it makes you feel any better I did this with a drill bit and hogged it out a bit tilting the drill sideways. My case looks way more hosed. :lol:

Hahaha that's exactly what I did to the black case. The pictures definitely it's good side.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh boy, I'm so excited to get to drive this car this weekend!

gently caress.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ah gently caress. I was really excited to see the car in action too.

Hope you don’t have it too bad and recover quickly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BA5 gonna get everyone at this rate, it sucks. Hope your symptoms are mild and the recovery is quick, get the antibody injection if you can but if not the antiviral is pretty decent. Take it easy and rest.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks. Got an apt for proper test later today and maybe antivirals. So far it's mild.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I survived! Luckily it was mild.

Saturday. Tires finally showed up so I grabbed them. Once home musical cars again. Ffr goes out, brz goes up for an oil change.

That done the civic got pushed out and onto the lift, brz under, and ffr back on the floor and onto stands.

Now for a project that wasn't nessesary before autox. To be able to flirt with minimum weight when it was a spec class we adjusted with fuel. This meant running the tank near empty. A side effect was the fuel vent never had any full tank issues. Gonna try to make sure it's never an issue in the future too.

Earlier posts about switching to the Enduro cell I made a filler neck. That connects to a "le mans cap". Inside that is a normal mustang gas cap.

It'll make sense in a sec but step one was to make that stock cap vent in both directions.

The parts sitting outside the cap were the one way check valve. Normally air is pulled in through the cap, and pressure is pushed out of the charcoal canister. Now it should handle both.

Why do this? So I can run the vent to the fill tube.

Waiting on a fitting to run the vent line. Hopefully when the tanks near full I'll see gas shoot sideways in the fill neck and stop. And have enough vertical empty space that gas can't slosh out under cornering. And if it does slosh hopefully get stopped in what's left of the cap.

If it doesn't work I'll probably add a fuel discriminator. Basically a float checkball. The vent already had a rollover valve but it only stops fuel if the cars upside down.

Also added a ground strap and polished the le mans cap when putting it all back together.

If the fitting shows up tomorrow I can button it up.

Next up was diapers. Stupid vents.

The rear axle has a vent that didn't have slicks in mind when it was designed. It won't dump fluid like the gas tank but even a little drip of oil is bad form so...

The power steering has a similar problem caused by its cap being a poorly designed piece of crap.

Probably wouldn't be an issue without but it's cheap insurance.

Spent the rest of the day watching Nascar and cleaning the wheels.

Going to call around for prices tomorrow and hopefully drop them off Tuesday. I hate tossing the tires on the wheels but they were made in 2015. Not worth the risk.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Going to call around for prices tomorrow and hopefully drop them off Tuesday. I hate tossing the tires on the wheels but they were made in 2015. Not worth the risk.

Glad you got off easily.

2015s don't smoke when spun? Huh. I would have thought they worked well for a celebratory burnout.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Glad you got off easily.

2015s don't smoke when spun? Huh. I would have thought they worked well for a celebratory burnout.

Probably but I'm going on 3 years no cops at my house. And no plates to sneak elsewhere on.

:negative:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

honda whisperer posted:

Ahahahha no fab doesn't = driving skill. I'll be happy with not a danger to anyone else or myself. Autox will be fine if the car doesn't break anything. Track will start rough and end slow. I know the concepts but actually getting up to speed is a long process that takes seat time.

Does it have to be water tight? If yes window urethane and you're done.

If not foam and rivets. Foam being the kind of door or window foam you'd find at a hardware store. Don't 100% the rivets. Send them till the window is under tension then stop and cut the excess off.

Option b use rivnuts (aka nutserts) to add threaded female spots to bolt to.

Option c dzus fastners. These are 1/4 turn quick connectors. Extra fab, very fast to remove.

Option d put the stock glass back in. poo poo works great.

The big considerations are:
1. How much do you need lightness
2. Water proof?
3. How quickly do you want to be able to remove it. I.e. is this a common I need it out of the way panel.
4. Cost.

For example I need light and cheap, water is ok, don't have to remove it often = foam and rivets.

Light, water ok, remove constantly = dzus

Light no water, removal is hell = window urethane.

Just seal the back half, I'm not racing in a class? Stock.
Sorry about Covid, I thought it was a pregnancy test for a second. Glad you're ok!

I don't need water proof, the cars going full drag car. I was thinking of urethane in the back and the dzus fasteners in the front, but for continunity sake I'm gonna probably dzus front and back. They are pretty pricey but you pay for what you get. I haven't made my mind up and been driving the car with no windows right now. It's Florida and it's hot as hell so the wind is real nice. I have fabbed the back plexiglass and fitment is perfect.

Works been good so I could finally afford the cage https://swracecars.com/product/1992-1995-honda-civic-hatchback-10-point-roll-cage-ews/ and some PRP 5 point harnesses. Haven't installed it as I'm waiting for my titan hvlp sprayer to paint the interior. I've got it all clean and scuff sanded and welded a few small pieces of metal over holes in the floor board. My paint rep said it'd be at the store in a week and it's been like 2 weeks so far waiting, might just go get a harbor freight one to keep the project moving. I was going to use the new rustoleum cans that have the 12 inch fan but thinking ahead I need a fine finish sprayer anyway. I'm working as a auto tech right now but I have a paint business so it's a good investment regardless. I've got some really good friends/coworkers helping me at the shop with all these thing thankfully as this is all so new to me.

I took it to Bradenton speedway for opening night after they redid the track but tech cards were completly gone before the track even opened. But it was still a good time! My friend brought his 2600 hp GTR and I was hoping to see a good pass from him but he was even too late to get a card.

I have some fuel cell questions for you after seeing your fuel cell work but they will come a little later!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 26, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You ever get the fuel and tuning issues sorted? Turbo stock single cam to cage is a hell of a jump.

Also street cage is insanely dangerous. Steel tubes next to your head without a helmet can be a bad time.

Are you building it for a specific class?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

You ever get the fuel and tuning issues sorted? Turbo stock single cam to cage is a hell of a jump.

Also street cage is insanely dangerous. Steel tubes next to your head without a helmet can be a bad time.

Are you building it for a specific class?

I have been talking to my tuner(ted baker local honda tuner) for a while to get ready for the tune but not yet tuned but he's helping me a lot to get prepared. I had a date set but I got sick and well with my new job back at a shop I've decided to go ham and build the shell for a full drag car. I mean it's what I've always wanted to do with it. I'm not reckless anymore and understand the risks I'm taking driving the car on the street and am semi careful right now.

I am going to build it for a comp class for heads up racing.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/honda_and_turbo/2913725278335096729/

This is from earlier today.

I did some pulls against an unknown mod beemer and a 450whp AMG e55 and i left the beemer behind but the e55 pulls on me. He has long tubes, 2.82gears with MK ultra trans tune, killer chiller, gutted, stock pulley and from a 20 he got me by about 3 cars when we let off at 100.

I am young and dumb with cars.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fallows fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 27, 2022

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

I am eyeing a H22 longblock for sale locally too! A NA build would be awesome and is possibly a goal in the future.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You are definitely young and dumb with cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far

My poo poo don't run right
Fix that here's tuning stuff
I bought a cage!
Does it run right? Class?
No! Street racing. Comp?

I'm assuming street racing because I don't have an Instagram and can't see that link without one.

We've all been there, to one extent or another. I get it. But from an old tired car nerd, please hear me.

1. Street racing is dumb and insanely dangerous. It seems harmless until it's a tragedy. The only thing you learn is who has a bigger wallet.

2. The absolute minimum to start having a performance car is stock. Your goal is better than stock, and stock took the time to make sure everything worked perfectly. If anything is off, at all, you're not doing it. Fix the issues first.

3. Rules make the game. I don't care if it's auto cross, time trial, wheel to wheel, rally, or drag racing. My cars faster WITHIN THE RULES is what makes it interesting. No rules and start saving for your underground racing turbo lambo build. It's just purse slapping.

That rule book is your build guide. Pick a flavor, pick a class, and build to it. Or decide its a street car. If you just yolo mods you'll be in unlimited class and all Hondas get dunked there.

I'm not being harsh to be mean. I'm hoping to save you some of the pain and expense of learing all these lessons the hard way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fallows posted:

I'm not reckless anymore and understand the risks I'm taking driving the car on the street and am semi careful right now.

Oh good, you'll only be semi-dead then. Or the people you hit street racing will only be semi dead.

Get your head screwed on straight or gently caress off out of here. We're not going to help you kill yourself or others.

https://imgur.com/a/mZr29pM

Fallows posted:

At least you're somewhat self aware.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So, early August auto x canceled due to covid.
Last Thursday was supposed to be the first track day, canceled due to the owner having an issue at work.
There is an auto x tomorrow. Went to pick up the truck and trailer and the trucks dead.

Something electrical. Easy mode is the battery, hard mode is the wiring. Either way auto x canceled. Once sorted gonna test drive a few days because getting a tow with a trailer sucks.

I did manage to cancel my registration in time. I think I'm gonna go to the local kart track tomorrow as a consolation prize. For the same money as an auto x I can get 4x the seat time and the whole thing might take 2 hours including the drive to and from.

I did put the final final polish on the cobra today though. Timing set, fuel pressure set, and I threw another 5 gallons of gas in it.

Behold!

Sending unit must not reach anywhere near the bottom of the tank. Even so it'll come in clutch.

Also swung by cars and coffee this morning. Pics will have to be another post though.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Oh good, you'll only be semi-dead then. Or the people you hit street racing will only be semi dead.

Get your head screwed on straight or gently caress off out of here. We're not going to help you kill yourself or others.

https://imgur.com/a/mZr29pM

At least you're somewhat self aware.

Bro I’m building the car for the drag strip. I drive the car on the street right now yes, and trying to make it safe for me. and the insta link isn’t street racing at all it’s me smiling going the speed limit.

I did do some pulls at night with a friend and it was the first time on an empty street but yes I understand even that is stupid.

My friend lost his eye in a street race 10 years ago and I still remember it vividly what he looked like. I need to be more mature. I posted the insta link just so you could see what the car looks like.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 27, 2022

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

You are definitely young and dumb with cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so far

My poo poo don't run right
Fix that here's tuning stuff
I bought a cage!
Does it run right? Class?
No! Street racing. Comp?

I'm assuming street racing because I don't have an Instagram and can't see that link without one.

We've all been there, to one extent or another. I get it. But from an old tired car nerd, please hear me.

1. Street racing is dumb and insanely dangerous. It seems harmless until it's a tragedy. The only thing you learn is who has a bigger wallet.

2. The absolute minimum to start having a performance car is stock. Your goal is better than stock, and stock took the time to make sure everything worked perfectly. If anything is off, at all, you're not doing it. Fix the issues first.

3. Rules make the game. I don't care if it's auto cross, time trial, wheel to wheel, rally, or drag racing. My cars faster WITHIN THE RULES is what makes it interesting. No rules and start saving for your underground racing turbo lambo build. It's just purse slapping.

That rule book is your build guide. Pick a flavor, pick a class, and build to it. Or decide its a street car. If you just yolo mods you'll be in unlimited class and all Hondas get dunked there.

I'm not being harsh to be mean. I'm hoping to save you some of the pain and expense of learing all these lessons the hard way.

I’m at work but Im so confused by the different classes for racing and all the rules. And I have really bad add so i get excited about an idea and just start doing it then get excited about another idea and so on. I want to compete and run fast times is my end goal and have no idea right now how to get there. I appreciate the harshness. There’s no street racing on my insta at all. I’ll reply more to you tonight after work. I have no one I can go to irl to guide me the right way.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fallows posted:

I have been talking to my tuner(ted baker local honda tuner) for a while to get ready for the tune but not yet tuned but he's helping me a lot to get prepared. I had a date set but I got sick and well with my new job back at a shop I've decided to go ham and build the shell for a full drag car. I mean it's what I've always wanted to do with it. I'm not reckless anymore and understand the risks I'm taking driving the car on the street and am semi careful right now.

I am going to build it for a comp class for heads up racing.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/honda_and_turbo/2913725278335096729/

This is from earlier today.

I did some pulls against an unknown mod beemer and a 450whp AMG e55 and i left the beemer behind but the e55 pulls on me. He has long tubes, 2.82gears with MK ultra trans tune, killer chiller, gutted, stock pulley and from a 20 he got me by about 3 cars when we let off at 100.

"I did a street racing"

Fallows posted:

Bro I’m building the car for the drag strip. I drive the car on the street right now yes, and trying to make it safe for me. and the insta link isn’t street racing at all it’s me smiling going the speed limit.

I did do some pulls at night with a friend and it was the first time on an empty street but yes I understand even that is stupid.

My friend lost his eye in a street race 10 years ago and I still remember it vividly what he looked like. I need to be more mature. I posted the insta link just so you could see what the car looks like.

"Its not for street racing"
"I did a street racing"
"I personally know a dude who hosed around and found out"

Fallows posted:

I’m at work but Im so confused by the different classes for racing and all the rules. And I have really bad add so i get excited about an idea and just start doing it then get excited about another idea and so on. I want to compete and run fast times is my end goal and have no idea right now how to get there. I appreciate the harshness. There’s no street racing on my insta at all. I’ll reply more to you tonight after work. I have no one I can go to irl to guide me the right way.

I don't give a poo poo whats on your insta. I cant even see it. I'm just reading your posts lol. It's street racing.

Ok how to class your car. Step one, find all the local tracks in your area and go to some races there. Talk to the people racing. There may be the perfect class on the other side of the country for your car and it wont matter. Find something with a lot of people in it that seem friendly that a civic might be competitive in.

Odds are pretty good though that it'll be NHRA or based on NHRA rules. I dont know poo poo about drag racing so i cant be more specific.

The 2022 NHRA rulebook is here.

https://nationaldragster.s3.amazonaws.com/Rulebooks/2022_NHRA_Rulebook_22_08_02/2022_NHRA_Rulebook_22_08_02.html

It's a lot of loving reading. A LOT A LOT. That's ok though. If you find a class, that class rules will be like 5-10% of that mess.

Googling fwd drag racing pulled up something called Sport Front Wheel Drive or SFWD. Idk if its still active or active in your area. That's why you should start with going to local events and talking to the people that race there. They'll know what's active in your area.

EXAMPLE

I worked on one father/son project MK3 supra. Their goal was an 11 to 12 second car. That required a roll bar, and that's where I came in. Step one in quoting it was finding the rules that the local strip used (nhra) and then finding the specifics.

Here was the main rub. I could very easily make a roll bar that would allow them to keep the rear interior in the car. BUT it wasn't as good of a roll bar. It was legal though. If the back seats went away I could make them a safer setup. Same price, same effort on my end. I asked them if they wanted the back seats. Was there a specific class I should reference.

Their answer "no we're just going to run it test and tune night. Lose the rear interior."

About a month later after running it a bunch. "hey so we found this street class that looks perfect for our car what would it take to get the rear interior back in. gotta have it for the class"

I threw a ratchet across the shop.

Summary
1. Stop street racing
2. Start talking to people with front wheel drive cars and permanent numbers on the doors
3. Ask them if they like the class they're in
4. Post about it
5. Pick a class and get the rule book for it. Read it cover to cover. Read it again.
6. Post about it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lmao I think that's the first probation in the thread. I would take an honorarry sixer. "Oh my god shut up about fords in the honda thread" maybe? I couldn't think of any joke about being a negative influence on a kid that didn't read way way wrong out of context.

Cars and coffee from this morning. Used the nice camera so linked images vs thumbnails. Description above the link.

I stopped at the first cobra I came across.

How the exhaust should look.
https://imgur.com/uUu1jaK

Same cobra. Very clean. I talked to the owners for a while. Grandpa, dad, and son project, all there. When I told them about the one I was working on they got really excited. I guess they stumbled across an auto x on accident and had questions. I told them about tomorrows event, I might still swing by in case they show. Once the brand new paint gets a little chipped they want to compete with it so very cool. Coyote motor too!

https://imgur.com/mKUSX5a
https://imgur.com/YT8I1zs
https://imgur.com/ClyuX0h

More cobras!
https://imgur.com/tyDGNS2
https://imgur.com/moLen2F

Hey they have the same power steering leak issue but a different solution
https://imgur.com/29TjE1u

Factory Five Roadster
https://imgur.com/ZRTbnLp

Hmm MR2, looks a little rough
https://imgur.com/IJvFOuf
Oh poo poo MR2
https://imgur.com/ShXPi3g

Nice manifold on an Evo
https://imgur.com/o5Y996d
https://imgur.com/AWi3gqi
https://imgur.com/r5h7QNL

Pretty datsun
https://imgur.com/F820YMf
https://imgur.com/jAOH9N7
https://imgur.com/BiBgPEw

76? 77? ish? Trans Am
My dads first sports car was a 76 Trans AM. Got stolen after smoky and the bandit came out.
https://imgur.com/tfjHA3H
https://imgur.com/N8EWkQ2

Vette Kart
https://imgur.com/UM3iEIZ

VW making friends
https://imgur.com/752W44O

Tons of cool cars there, but there's no shortage of better pics of cool cars on the internet so I'll leave it here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

honda whisperer posted:

Lmao I think that's the first probation in the thread. I would take an honorarry sixer. "Oh my god shut up about fords in the honda thread" maybe? I couldn't think of any joke about being a negative influence on a kid that didn't read way way wrong out of context.

I totally realise the probation image is not a Ford but I dont care. Gorgeous car

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

https://imgur.com/mBRPPkH

Saw a bunch of super fast hondas last night at a restaurant meet. It was front wheel drive shoot out at sunshine speedway, and while weather kept me from going I at least got to see some of the cars that would be there and meet some of the drivers.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

More to come but got try out the gopro today.

Owner of the cobra in front. He's got the skull and crossbones on the back of the helmet. Race starts at 2:45.

https://youtu.be/OAJAr9fAaTM

The image stabilization is really aggressive. It was very rigidly mounted to my helmet but it floats in and out of frame the whole time.

Fallows posted:

https://imgur.com/mBRPPkH

Saw a bunch of super fast hondas last night at a restaurant meet. It was front wheel drive shoot out at sunshine speedway, and while weather kept me from going I at least got to see some of the cars that would be there and meet some of the drivers.

Dis you ask them about the class they run in?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

It was a Spanish meet a coworker invited me to so it was very hard to converse, I was the only non-spanish speaking person there. Had a lot of people making fun of my spanglish all night. But I'm getting in with the right crowd, these guys all trailered their cars in so I know they're the right kind of people I want to meet.

I know ford speech is taboo but that red faux body was a LS swap with a turbo the size of the block.

I spent my downtime at work today starting to read the NHRA rule book. You're right it's super long, but full of good info.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Those gokarts look fun as heck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

More to come but got try out the gopro today.

Owner of the cobra in front. He's got the skull and crossbones on the back of the helmet. Race starts at 2:45.

https://youtu.be/OAJAr9fAaTM

You need to practice your pit maneuvers. He obviously has already.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Attempt 4 was a success! Finally got to do an autox. Car worked, truck worked, the weather was threatening but held off all day.

Sound warning turn it down. It's fine till some body v tire rub that the gopro decided was THE SOUND. It did not sound like that in the car.

https://youtu.be/FFB3NK2_oyM

The good:
1. Nothing leaked
2. Nothing was loose or broken
3. It felt right and drove right as far as we could tell outside its natural habitat.
4. Constant power gopro worked perfectly for 1.5hrs

The bad:
1. Body rub when cornering + bumps. Needs raised or stiffer rears. Was able to see it from outside. Asked the owner if he'd heard it on road courses and he had but it was extremely rare.
2. High idle after a run. It would hold at 2k rpm for a few minutes then settle down.
3. It started getting hot after one run when idling. Shut it off and it did not want to hot restart. Starter was just lol fu.

Behold my all time record for shortest push start.

https://youtu.be/EFJwaT1Yw3Q

It currently has an old stock late 80s starter. Googling suggests it can be easily replaced with a better lighter modern starter. Cold start has never been an issue.

It's still in the trailer and I have a garage spot back too! New, hopefully quick, probably not project incoming.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, I was going to say, that tire rub sounded like a seized wheel bearing through the GoPro.

Glad everything worked out for you :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks, me too.

All I can figure is the body touches the chassis in a way it could resonate against it, and the gopro is mounted to that. Bone conducting hearing aid vs nails on chalk board?

Bonus neat craft from that day.

It was quick and seemed well sorted. I think ls swapped.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Accord got oil and filter today. Much as I love the ffr it's nice to have some space back for other projects...

Speaking of.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Awww yeah :getin: Assume that's for the brz?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Uh-oh, haha.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I wish. Friends car.

Mostly stock 06 sti. Got another long block and has had it buit on the side. Going to swap it in and add the upgrades the factory block couldn't handle.

Iirc it's rods, pistons, cams, slightly de-stroked. I think an fp blue turbo, front mount, flex fuel, and accessories.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got the garage cleaned up, car squared up and on stands, battery out, the bumper off and the radiator out.

gently caress mishimoto forever. Drain? Nah have a perpendicular bolt. It'll be a koyo soon enough.

Going to try and make a time lapse of it. Tried the default gopro setup and that was meh. Then tried pics on a timer. Still fighting software to convert it. It'll probably start weird then settle into ok as I figure it out.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

:allears:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

gently caress that nut. What the hell.

Also there have been some install errors.

That can't have helped. One nut was missing off the downpipe too.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Attempt 4 was a success! Finally got to do an autox. Car worked, truck worked, the weather was threatening but held off all day.

Sound warning turn it down. It's fine till some body v tire rub that the gopro decided was THE SOUND. It did not sound like that in the car.

https://youtu.be/FFB3NK2_oyM

The good:
1. Nothing leaked
2. Nothing was loose or broken
3. It felt right and drove right as far as we could tell outside its natural habitat.
4. Constant power gopro worked perfectly for 1.5hrs

The bad:
1. Body rub when cornering + bumps. Needs raised or stiffer rears. Was able to see it from outside. Asked the owner if he'd heard it on road courses and he had but it was extremely rare.
2. High idle after a run. It would hold at 2k rpm for a few minutes then settle down.
3. It started getting hot after one run when idling. Shut it off and it did not want to hot restart. Starter was just lol fu.

Heck yea dude! Glad you had a good day out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

New hotness. What a weird engine.