Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Serbia just doesn't learn from getting bombed by a superior military force. Apparently.

Classy. I guess these got dang sand slurs don't learn no matter how many weddings you drone.

Definitely cool and good takes about an exceedingly rare occurrence of a Balkans politician saying something outrageous, and not-at-all thinly veiled chauvinist hot takes about a politically acceptable target.

The "denazification" quote brought to you by a member of the party whose leader the EU breathlessly fawned over despite him being the minister of propaganda for the regime they originally bombed.

e: He said "for each serb we'll kill 100 muslims" back in the 90s then had his dick ridden by the west all the way to Putin-like rotating premiership/presidency, so he clearly correctly "learned" his lesson that the west rewards proclamations such as this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

He's not a minister, only an MP. But yeah it's pretty bad even for Serbia. He didn't get any reprimands from the Ruler, of course.

FWIW I don't expect Serbia to start any real poo poo. It's much more lucrative to continue balancing between EU, Russia, and China, and you can't do that if you start sending tanks to neighboring countries again.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Apologies, only thing I meant to point out in response to SlowBloke's post, that Serbia has been bombed in recent times for "doing that poo poo" so saying "Serbia is likely going to learn very fast that doing that poo poo without nukes stockpiles is a good way to have your capital and every urban centre turned into a crater." is quite redundant.

Using the wording of his post was probably unfortunate. I apologize.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

All this talk about Serbs reminded me of a story which is very EE I guess.

In Hungary (probably other countries too?) during parliamentary elections you can also vote for minority representatives, if you are part of said minority.
Now I have a family friend who is ethnic Serbian, and he really wanted to run for district representative. Only small problem was, there was no significant Serb minority in our district to elect one.
However, there was a decent amount of Croatian minority, so he decided to run as their representative.
What makes this story uniquely Easter European I guess is that he jumped on his bicycle, strapped a cooling box on it, filled it with canned beers and small bottles of spirits (0.05l bottles), grabbed a big pile of documents with which you can declare your self as part of a minority group and rode around the district. Giving people a beer and a bottle of small spirits, to sign up to be Croatians and vote for him.

And this is how I became Croatian minority and can vote on the minority representative every 4 years.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You fool! The German emperor can now call you to serve in his light cavalry!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Some very normal behaviour from Polish ski jumping organization toward female athletes:

https://www.vg.no/sport/hopp/i/8QedAr/lundby-reagerer-paa-polsk-kroppspress-ganske-oedeleggende-for-utoeverne

quote:

The Polish ski jumping federation has made an outrageous demand on female ski jumpers.

According to Polish journalist Mateusz Lelen, the federation requires its female ski jumpers to have a body mass index of less than 21 if they are to receive future funding from the federation.

If the index is over 21, the costs will have to be paid from their own wallet or the wallet of the club they represent," VG reports.

- It's one of those "can this really be true" situations, Norwegian ski jumper Maren Lundby tells VG.

Polish ski jumping legend Adam Malysz, 44, who is now the boss of the Polish Ski Federation, confirmed the news to the Norwegian media.

- We have set very strict rules for the national team. The sport is very brutal and weight is very important. If you have a body mass index of 24-25, you have no chance in this sport," Malysz explains.

Malysz, who has won FOUR individual world championships in his career, points out that the International Ski Federation (FIS) also has its own restrictions on ski jumping.

According to the FIS table, the lower the BMI, the shorter the skis an athlete can use.

Lundby, who has won an Olympic gold medal and two world championships in her career, rejects the Polish federation's restriction for another reason: the BMI requirement applies only to female athletes.

- It is very strange if that is indeed the case. It makes the order even more peculiar. I am shocked by this.

The Norwegian star believes that requiring a certain BMI for female athletes only will push people away from the sport.

If only there was some kind of metric to determine which athletes were worthy of the federation's support, so they could compete to earn the sponsoring... ah well, BMI will have to do :thunk:

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
I know that ski jumpers take weight almost as serious as f1 drivers, but come on Malysz.

Don't be such a fool. You are the literal hero of all ski jumpers in the world, especially the Slavic nations (with Peterka and Janda).

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

All this talk about Serbs reminded me of a story which is very EE I guess.

In Hungary (probably other countries too?) during parliamentary elections you can also vote for minority representatives, if you are part of said minority.
Now I have a family friend who is ethnic Serbian, and he really wanted to run for district representative. Only small problem was, there was no significant Serb minority in our district to elect one.
However, there was a decent amount of Croatian minority, so he decided to run as their representative.
What makes this story uniquely Easter European I guess is that he jumped on his bicycle, strapped a cooling box on it, filled it with canned beers and small bottles of spirits (0.05l bottles), grabbed a big pile of documents with which you can declare your self as part of a minority group and rode around the district. Giving people a beer and a bottle of small spirits, to sign up to be Croatians and vote for him.

And this is how I became Croatian minority and can vote on the minority representative every 4 years.

Lol, I heard the same but opposite story, with Croatians in some villages in northern Croatia declaring themselves Hungarians (I'm not 100% sure, maybe it was another minority) for a small reward, to help someone get elected on a minority ticket.

In Serbia two years ago on parliamentary elections Union of Vojvodina Hungarians had a great result in Vranje, much to everyone's amusement. Vranje is near Macedonia and as far from Vojvodina as you can get, and has no Hungarian minority. But some local politician paid a few villages to vote #4, which was his number on the ballot with individuals. The villagers duly voted #4 on the ballot with parties too, which happened to be the Hungarian party. A lot of jokes went around those days, with people imitating Vranjans speaking Hungarian.

Not elections-related but Hungary allows Serbians who can prove that their ancestors lived in Austria-Hungary, and who speak Hungarian, to get Hungarian citizenship. This was a very popular path to EU passport for some time, I know a few people who took Hungarian lessons for this purpose. Later they strengthened the language test from a formality to a proper exam so the interest waned.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not elections-related but Hungary allows Serbians who can prove that their ancestors lived in Austria-Hungary, and who speak Hungarian, to get Hungarian citizenship. This was a very popular path to EU passport for some time, I know a few people who took Hungarian lessons for this purpose. Later they strengthened the language test from a formality to a proper exam so the interest waned.

Oh it IS elections-related. As those people CAN vote in Hungarian parliamentary elections. This is exactly how Fidesz stayed in power for over 10 years.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Oh it IS elections-related. As those people CAN vote in Hungarian parliamentary elections. This is exactly how Fidesz stayed in power for over 10 years.

Those people just wanted to get the hell out of Serbia and go work in Berlin or wherever. Nobody moved to Hungary or cared about Hungarian elections. So I'd be careful about these conclusions. There is a similar sentiment in Croatia about Bosnian Croats voting in Croatian elections. They actually do care about Croatian politics, at least enough to steadily vote for the conservative ruling party (HDZ) but their actual influence, if you look at the numbers, is minimal. It doesn't however stop people from blaming Herzegovinars for HDZ victories every elections.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 2, 2022

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Doctor Malaver posted:

Those people just wanted to get the hell out of Serbia and go work in Berlin or wherever. Nobody moved to Hungary or cared about Hungarian elections. So I'd be careful about these conclusions. There is a similar sentiment in Croatia about Bosnian Croats voting in Croatian elections. They actually do care about Croatian politics, at least enough to steadily vote for the conservative ruling party (HDZ) but their actual influence, if you look at the numbers, is minimal. It doesn't however stop people from blaming Herzegovinars for HDZ victories every elections.

You misunderstand me. I'm sure there are people who just used this to get out of Serbia. Also I'm not saying its somehow Serbs voting in the Hungarian elections. I'm saying a lot of ethnic Hungarians who received citizenship vote in the Hungarian elections by mail in ballots, this is a fact. You don't have to move to Hungary for it. This year for example there is a small scandal because it turned out Fidesz activists delivered, collected and in some cases even helped fill the mail-in ballots in Vojvodina.

An interesting read below:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/breaking-fresh-evidence-hungary-vote-rigging-raises-concerns-fraud-european-elections/

quote:

Under the changes to the law brought in by Orbán, ethnic Hungarians outside Hungary are supposed to cast their party list votes by post. In 2018, Fidesz won 96% of these votes. This follows long-standing concerns that the registration, balloting and vote verification for postal ballots from ethnic Hungarians in Serbia, Ukraine and Romania is open to wholesale manipulation.

quote:

Serbian press reports claimed that the activists of these local Fidesz affiliates opened mail-in ballots for inspection and destroyed those that were not cast for Fidesz.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Apologies, only thing I meant to point out in response to SlowBloke's post, that Serbia has been bombed in recent times for "doing that poo poo" so saying "Serbia is likely going to learn very fast that doing that poo poo without nukes stockpiles is a good way to have your capital and every urban centre turned into a crater." is quite redundant.

Using the wording of his post was probably unfortunate. I apologize.

It's all good. I get a little triggered by people (seemingly) cheering on bombings like that because cluster bombs fell literally in front of both my grandparents' houses. Luckily nobody from my family was killed but not everybody was so fortunate. Apologies for insinuating you were an American jingoist.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I know you guys love Orban photos so here is a fresh one.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I know you guys love Orban photos so here is a fresh one.

I have long forgotten what the original loss.jpg looked like and just can't decipher the edits anymore.

e:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 3, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1554798241245446144
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1554831915630202885https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1554852639086678017

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

You misunderstand me. I'm sure there are people who just used this to get out of Serbia. Also I'm not saying its somehow Serbs voting in the Hungarian elections. I'm saying a lot of ethnic Hungarians who received citizenship vote in the Hungarian elections by mail in ballots, this is a fact. You don't have to move to Hungary for it. This year for example there is a small scandal because it turned out Fidesz activists delivered, collected and in some cases even helped fill the mail-in ballots in Vojvodina.

An interesting read below:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/breaking-fresh-evidence-hungary-vote-rigging-raises-concerns-fraud-european-elections/

Ah, so it's widespread and not only in Serbia. I'm not surprised Orban is using every dirty trick available. Still, it would be good to see what percentage the mail-in ballots take of the total voters number.

And the party fighting this... Jobbik :(

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Doctor Malaver posted:

Ah, so it's widespread and not only in Serbia. I'm not surprised Orban is using every dirty trick available. Still, it would be good to see what percentage the mail-in ballots take of the total voters number.

And the party fighting this... Jobbik :(

Good news! Jobbik is dead. They lost the majority of their supporters when they stopped being openly racist, and the other half when they teamed up with the other opposition parties.

Bad news is, their supporters moved to Mi Hazánk (Our Fatherland) who are openly racist, anti-vaxxer, pro-Russia. They tried to start a referendum to leave the EU, they want to reintroduce capital punishment, open labor camps for criminals (one of their plans was to send them to Siberia...), criminalize LGBTQ+ so all the "good stuff".

These fuckers got 5,88% of the votes this election, which got them 6 seats in the parliament.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Good news! Jobbik is dead. They lost the majority of their supporters when they stopped being openly racist, and the other half when they teamed up with the other opposition parties.

Bad news is, their supporters moved to Mi Hazánk (Our Fatherland) who are openly racist, anti-vaxxer, pro-Russia. They tried to start a referendum to leave the EU, they want to reintroduce capital punishment, open labor camps for criminals (one of their plans was to send them to Siberia...), criminalize LGBTQ+ so all the "good stuff".

These fuckers got 5,88% of the votes this election, which got them 6 seats in the parliament.

Well at least they got 5,88% compared to our 17,4% for Lega (which pretty much has the same ideas).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thank you, monkey paw!

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
A recent essay by a Croatian historian and Ottomanist, in which she examines her own personal and family history. She is of mixed Croatian-Serbian heritage. Her scholarship and social media are in English, worth following if you like Balkan and Ottoman history. https://twitter.com/dr_anasekulic

Through her twitter I also found this essay by a writer from a mixed Greek-Macedonian heritage that's very resonant with the first one.

They both remind me, in broad strokes, of my parental grandfather and his two brothers. They were all born in a small village < 5 km. from the Serbian-Bulgarian border. The oldest brother ended up living in Bulgaria and my cousins from that side are "Bulgarian", my grandfather ended up staying in Serbia and we are "Serbian", and the youngest brother ended up living in Istria and my cousins from that side are "Croatian", for whatever value you care to assign to the three terms in quotation marks.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

A recent essay by a Croatian historian and Ottomanist, in which she examines her own personal and family history.

This was a nice read, thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/sankuperis/status/1555198240634576898

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Seems like pro level trolling to order food delivery to a hunger strike?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Could be, extreme :discourse: if so

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Who are these constitution defenders? Is this still about vaccines?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Who are these constitution defenders? Is this still about vaccines?

As per OP in replies, vaccines, gays, government, and some other stuff.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

One of the interesting side-effects of Russia's incompetence in Ukraine.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Honorary Eastern European i.e. Finnish media has been having a field day regarding a proposal by the European Commission to require that major EU funded railway corridors be built in standard gauge.

Nevermind it's obviously not about Finland at all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Honorary Eastern European i.e. Finnish media has been having a field day regarding a proposal by the European Commission to require that major EU funded railway corridors be built in standard gauge.

Nevermind it's obviously not about Finland at all.

Seems a reasonable ask, surprisingly enough for the latest series of regulations. I hope it doesn't become the usual intermodal nothing burger like their previous attempts in western eu.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I hope this does actually happens eventually

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's vastly more likely than finally standarizing on the same voltage and control protocol.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I hope this does actually happens eventually

For EE that seems like a great move for integrating with rest of the EU, but for Finland it's much work for practically no benefit.
Our main foreign rails go to Russia, which has close enough rail-width for mutual use.
There's connection to the Swedish rails up north, but that's 10+ hour trip away from Helsinki and another 10+ hours to reach inhabited more densely populated areas of Sweden.
Maybe if there was a rail-tunnel to Tallinn or Stockholm, there would be a point.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

alex314 posted:

That's vastly more likely than finally standarizing on the same voltage and control protocol.

Signalization already has a common European standard and multi system rolling stock aren't really new.

EE trains, however, are physically bigger than Central European or puny Western ones.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

adhuin posted:

Maybe if there was a rail-tunnel to Tallinn or Stockholm, there would be a point.

Rail Baltica project specifically is angling to get that done. It would own, I almost vomited on my last ferry to Helsinki.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rail Baltica project specifically is angling to get that done. It would own, I almost vomited on my last ferry to Helsinki.

Either drink more or less next time, friend

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Either drink more or less next time, friend

I just have a crappy vestibular apparatus, and can get seasick on a pedalo

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

adhuin posted:

For EE that seems like a great move for integrating with rest of the EU, but for Finland it's much work for practically no benefit.
Our main foreign rails go to Russia, which has close enough rail-width for mutual use.

And this is pretty important for Finnish industry. Right now there isn't much trade because :blyat:, but I expect the day to come when Russia is not a pariah anymore and trade can resume.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nenonen posted:

And this is pretty important for Finnish industry. Right now there isn't much trade because :blyat:, but I expect the day to come when Russia is not a pariah anymore and trade can resume.

Russia?

Not a pariah?
:ussr::tito::poland:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Having access to most resources and 140 million market tend to make people forget about stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If Russia withdraws from Ukraine and ends the war then I can see a detente coming, though it will take a return of democracy, free media, independent judiciary and all that before things will normalize. And even then Europe will not make itself dependent on Russian energy again (it doesn't need to after this shock transition is done). Even if it takes decades before Russian lumber trains are travelling to Finnish pulp mills again, it's worth keeping that gauge compatibility.