Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Kazvall posted:

What would go a long, long way, especially for co-op would be if everyone didn't teleport when one person went through a portal. Then, you could kind of split up and find the right crap to press, in teams. None the less, as charming as Hexen is, that is why I usually play Heretic instead.

I'm with you on this, but only in spirit. The issue with actually doing this is the players aren't being "teleported" per say, that's the level changing. So to keep players where they are you would need to give the game the ability to simulate multiple levels at once, and by extension you would have to give the level scripting (the ACS) awareness that what used to be deferred events that wouldn't occur until you changed levels are now being executed immediately, which changes the expected flow of events. Running multiple levels at once is a tall order, and actually not something any source port has accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wonder how possible/hard it would be to actually just smoosh the levels in a hub into a single huge map and modify the scripts to activate at the correct time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volte posted:

I wonder how possible/hard it would be to actually just smoosh the levels in a hub into a single huge map and modify the scripts to activate at the correct time.

Lemme go pull out my old computer and see if that kills it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

dr_rat posted:

Did Vin Diesel have anything to do with getting that made? I know he loves the franchise and games, and I think I remember reading he had some input into it, other than just VO stuff.

iirc he helped set up starbreeze specifically for it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Serephina posted:

As an aside, I will argue with you about the 4 weapons vs Doom's 10 weapons nonsense. Hexen has a ton of combat consumables, and a lot of doom's arsenal suffers from obsolescence or lack of ammo on the default wads.

only the pistol gets truly obsoleted in doom, everything else still has use. hexen's combat consumables are not particularly interesting, especially with the lack of tome of power. you get to restore health and armor and ammo, teleport to the start of the level, teleport an enemy to the start of the level, push an enemy away a little, try to summon a dark servant which never works because the levels really aren't suited for it, and uhhhh. the only interesting items are maybe the flechette and definitely the porkolator.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Did Vin Diesel have anything to do with getting that made? I know he loves the franchise and games, and I think I remember reading he had some input into it, other than just VO stuff.

Disproportionation posted:

iirc he helped set up starbreeze specifically for it.
Tigon was Vin Diesel's Games Thing, and was founded in 2002. Starbreeze was formed in 1998 by demoscene nerds.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Starbreeze was formed in 1998 by demoscene nerds.

This explains so much

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
QuakeCon schedule is up. Nothing that looks much like a place for anything to be announced though, unless they slip something into Marty Stratton's opening address on 1pm ET on the 18th.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cyriak/Mouldy's back!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

It's a challenge I've considered taking in the past, and I have a few ideas, but I'm too goddamn lazy to edit out the shield on all the centaur sprites.

Just retint the shield parts to bright plastic red, and add a comment to say 'perhaps these were not as spellproof as Korax expected'

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh snap!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Lovely stuff. A lot of very fast paced push/pull gameplay just like the best of going down. I really enjoyed getting kicked around the level from trap to trap and then finally getting the tools to control the chaos. Short maps, not very difficult but very aggressive fun.

There's a new game+ hidden away on the thanks for playing map which looks to be a remixed levels.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An Actual Princess posted:

just finish ultrakill before releasing it. sick of early access tbh
if you hate early access you probably won't get to enjoy many of the current boomer shooters for a while, lol

ultrakill, gloomwood, blood west, dread templar, viscerafest, hrot, cultic, extraneum, turbo overkill. all early access

even Adaca which is supposed to be 1.0 is missing its final act

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DUSK was Early Access and I'm very glad I waited. I already bought Ultrakill and HROT and will buy Gloomwood but won't play until they're done.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Just have 5 hours of Carmack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I845O57ZSy4

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Unfortunately it's also 5 hours of Lex Fridman

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

if you hate early access you probably won't get to enjoy many of the current boomer shooters for a while, lol

ultrakill, gloomwood, blood west, dread templar, viscerafest, hrot, cultic, extraneum, turbo overkill. all early access

yeah and it loving sucks. won't be playing any of them til they're done. early access is terrible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I hate it as a model for larger developers but I also understand how someone like the developer for cultic, which I believe is pretty much one guy, would see it as an opportunity to fund later game development that wouldn't be possible under a traditional model.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Every time Doom 3 comes up I need to remind everyone.The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay did everything Doom 3 tried to do, both in terms of gameplay and technology, before Doom 3 and better than Doom 3. The fancy stencil shadow system is used for gameplay purposes instead of just obscuring what you're shooting at. It doesn't flood you with boring PDA poo poo, instead you just talk to people, with voice acting that's still surprisingly good. There is actual variety to the gameplay and the environments, a distinct lack of monster closets and a crescendo to the story with a real payoff. It did this on an original XBOX months before Doom 3 hit PC, I played it close to release and it really did set me up to be deeply disappointed in id's game.

Yup that game is badass. Too bad they hosed up the "rerelease" with drm, discontinued the sequel , and now you cant get it digitally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can torrent it easy peasy. a legendary poster from this very thread sent me their GOG exe. I have it on PC DVD and the loving thing doesn’t even install any more. I was so desperate for a while that I bought it on PS3. I actually think Dark Athena is underrated. The start is weak but it gets really good. Butcher Bay is GOAT

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

Unfortunately it's also 5 hours of Lex Fridman

lol my thoughts exactly. Carmack is a moron outside of programming but if they stuck to that it's probably fine.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Known Quake Toucher has some cert jokes today

https://twitter.com/ModernVintageG/status/1555584524414701568?t=inhd5M3T0fCdwT15rivRvA&s=19

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finally got around to trying the Metal Hellsinger demo and my gawd, it makes BPM look like a proof of concept. I mean I greatly enjoyed BPM but Metal Hellsinger is, in its single level demo, so much more polished. About the only thing that BPM has over it is boss musical finishers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Console cert went out the window with cyberpunk

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Console cert went out the window with cyberpunk

I wonder if Cyberpunk maybe brought it back for major titles that were previously skating

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess we'll find out when starfield comes out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can download games on Game Pass right now to your xbox that helpfully recommend clicking the middle mouse button and using the escape key, so I struggle to believe cert is consistent.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

You can download games on Game Pass right now to your xbox that helpfully recommend clicking the middle mouse button and using the escape key, so I struggle to believe cert is consistent.

You need to use the middle stick to evade Joker's bullet!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

DUSK was Early Access and I'm very glad I waited. I already bought Ultrakill and HROT and will buy Gloomwood but won't play until they're done.

early access boomer shooters and their demos are wonderful because most of them are episodic. it feels a lot like the shareware days. play the episode and be done until the next one comes out, I'd space them out like that anyway since I have a bad attention span and video games are awful garbage for idiot children with no value other than as momentary distraction from the gnashing maw of this soul devouring hell world

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

treat posted:

early access boomer shooters and their demos are wonderful because most of them are episodic. it feels a lot like the shareware days. play the episode and be done until the next one comes out, I'd space them out like that anyway since I have a bad attention span and video games are awful garbage for idiot children with no value other than as momentary distraction from the gnashing maw of this soul devouring hell world

:same:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I usually avoid Early Access but did that with Powerwashing Simulator and that worked out perfectly - every week or two had another little level to play.No regrets on that one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

started my fifth play through of DOOM 64 again. I love it so so much. Only downside is there’s about 90s of unskippable junk videos at the start on the switch port. It makes loading it up for a quick level a pain. Doom 1/2 you can get in to play in like 10s

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wonder how brutal doom 64 is going

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

The 7th Guest posted:

You just reminded me I need to perform my twice yearly check on Prodeus.

edit: Just did. lol.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 6, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pennsylvanian posted:

You just reminded me I need to perform my twice yearly check on Prodeus.

edit: Just did. lol.

if i had to guess which of those games will hit 1.0 this year, i'm thinking possibly blood west, dread templar, and viscerafest. hrot JUST released episode 2 but it's also been very gradual in its progress. i think blood west's plan was to hit 1.0 this year from the start, the others i'm just assuming based on their rate of progress

idk what's up with prodeus because they have only made small teases of content. they don't seem to be in a hurry

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They just reconfirmed Prodeus for Switch so maybe 1.0 will be along with that. I thought it already hit 1.0.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

started my fifth play through of DOOM 64 again. I love it so so much. Only downside is there’s about 90s of unskippable junk videos at the start on the switch port. It makes loading it up for a quick level a pain. Doom 1/2 you can get in to play in like 10s

There's too many barons

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

treat posted:

I played DUSK in one day I could not put it down. And I rarely game nowadays.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

In Training posted:

There's too many barons

I mean if your playing it right by the end there shouldn't be any barons. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

that image was being thrown around like, two weeks ago

and probably long before that actually