Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean "dedicated legal professional otherwise unaffiliated and uninterested in the crime stumbles across stuff in the course of their life, says that there are crimes" is about as probable as you can probable cause.

Compare that poo poo to a cop saying "yeah, I think I might've smelled weed and it's not legal in this state, yet" as far as levels of evidence, and yeah, no poo poo, the January 6th Committee is gonna be able to get a subpoena for it. No poo poo.

And another law firm already has the information and has seen it so there's no going "well that doesn't exist don't know what you're talking about" or hiding anything now
Just a hilarious all-time blunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KitConstantine posted:

Mission impossible theme to open this newest segment

The family of Lalo Schifrin should sue.

Edit: nm, holy gently caress, Schifrin is still alive!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I feel like this is just the beginning of a months long texas court circus where the judicial system as a whole in that state has to decide if "please disregard" constitutes privilege. This has probably not been a big enough problem to figure out but it seems to me that now actual case law has to exist.

Does congress give a gently caress about privilege? Can you dump blatantly stolen poo poo in congress and have them use it? I think the answer is yes because different branch of government.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

xarph posted:

I feel like this is just the beginning of a months long texas court circus where the judicial system as a whole in that state has to decide if "please disregard" constitutes privilege. This has probably not been a big enough problem to figure out but it seems to me that now actual case law has to exist.

Does congress give a gently caress about privilege? Can you dump blatantly stolen poo poo in congress and have them use it? I think the answer is yes because different branch of government.

congress is not entitled to pierce attorney-client privilege

of course if your massive incompetence waives it, they get to read all that poo poo

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I wonder if anyone under oath on the stand has ever been asked a normal question and then gone off on a rant about "transhumanists" before

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Barnes is on!

Also Alex would have gotten hugs and kisses from the Sandy Hook plantiffs if their lawyers hadn't "snapped their fingers at them like dogs "GET OVER HERE"""

Bankston is "an ambulance chaser thoroughbred"
"a leprechaun on meth"
"Jumping around like a maniac yelling BOBBY BARNES BOBBY BARNES"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Frank Frank posted:

I think that wasn't it but I dunno. I turn it off because it's loving annoying.

It's the jewish charity thing. A few states sued them for not disclosing that the overwhelming amount of their proceeds went to programs for jewish children without explicitly stating that was the case. At no point in any of their commercials do they state where the money goes, just "for kids." People wanted to know which kids, so they sued.

I just assumed it was a scam anyhow, because of how vague the advertising is. It reeks of scam tactics. I wouldn't be surprised if they were target advertising the gullible elderly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

xarph posted:

I wouldn't call any of the phone stuff blatantly stolen. It's like a murder weapon dropped off at the prosecutor's place, prosecutor says 'you left this here!', defense does nothing to formally request it back, and then, due to the laws (or whatever), ten days later, it becomes the property of the prosecutor. :shrug:

Edit: if not the property of the prosecutor, then it becomes something the prosecution/plaintiff can full document, test, and provide as evidence.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

That's enough alex straight for me for today. Barnes is back after this commercial break if anyone else wants to punish themselves

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's kind of amazing how confident Alex can be that his listeners will never check anything he says. It would take zero effort to find out that every word he's saying about the trial is a lie since it's literally all on YouTube, but none of his audience will.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
so what was Alex's overall take on the phone being handed over?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

so what was Alex's overall take on the phone being handed over?

it's not his phone, but they illegally obtained all that information that isn't actually real and he's being railroaded because the evil judge let them do it

They never actually told his lawyer but if they did his lawyer told them they couldn't use it but they did anyway but none of it is actually Alex's so it shouldn't matter

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Grand Fromage posted:

It's kind of amazing how confident Alex can be that his listeners will never check anything he says. It would take zero effort to find out that every word he's saying about the trial is a lie since it's literally all on YouTube, but none of his audience will.

Not really amazing at all. Trump did this all day every day as President.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

"Jumping around like a maniac yelling BOBBY BARNES BOBBY BARNES"

I was once in couple's counseling with an ex and she kept complaining about me. I was trying to defend myself and, at one point, my ex stood up and started stomping back and forth around the room, waving her hands over her head, and putting on a "dumb guy" voice going like "OH LOOK I'M CATASTROPHE I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT LOOK AT ME" to try to make me look bad or dumb or something.

The counselor just turned to me and went "Well, you're being mature." because I was just silently sitting there letting my ex make a fool of herself when she thought she was owning me. Anyway, Alex's tactic there just reminded me of how doing that just makes you look like the one in the wrong 100% of the time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

KitConstantine posted:

it's not his phone, but they illegally obtained all that information that isn't actually real and he's being railroaded because the evil judge let them do it

They never actually told his lawyer but if they did his lawyer told them they couldn't use it but they did anyway but none of it is actually Alex's so it shouldn't matter

That's about as consistent as I expected it to be, thank you.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That's about as consistent as I expected it to be, thank you.

I tried to convey an accurate level of hinged-ness

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Grand Fromage posted:

Fact-checker is a derogatory term to them. Facts don't factor into whatever subject they're talking about. It's pure confirmation bias.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's like the terrible spelling in those Nigerian e-mail scams ; the people who'd be fooled are the ones remaining beyond that filter.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Grand Fromage posted:

He has years and years of evidence they don't check what he says. He should be extremely confident.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Alex Jones has not learned anything from this trial :thunk:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's the jewish charity thing. A few states sued them for not disclosing that the overwhelming amount of their proceeds went to programs for jewish children without explicitly stating that was the case. At no point in any of their commercials do they state where the money goes, just "for kids." People wanted to know which kids, so they sued.

I just assumed it was a scam anyhow, because of how vague the advertising is. It reeks of scam tactics. I wouldn't be surprised if they were target advertising the gullible elderly.

IIRC it's specifically some sort of "Isreali heritage" type thing that pays for jewish kids to visit Isreal, rather than something that actually benefits their life situations or anything. I might be misremembering though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Grand Fromage posted:

ummmm you listen to youtube? anyone can put anything on there and YouTube can take down anything they don't like! It's full of lies!!!!! - Good Listeners

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm aware of all this. It's still amazing and beyond my comprehension how someone can be so dumb. It's like trying to understand the mind of an animal.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Alex Jones has not learned anything from this trial :thunk:

Thank gently caress Susan Collins isn’t the judge.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

congress is not entitled to pierce attorney-client privilege

of course if your massive incompetence waives it, they get to read all that poo poo

Are the security services allowed? Can the secret service just demand everything because there's good chance he's made active threats against the president?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

KitConstantine posted:

Yet somehow at the same time Alex complied with all requests and gave them his phone last year and two other phones too and it’s only six months of texts and he looked at it last night and there’s nothing bad on it anyway.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm aware of all this. It's still amazing and beyond my comprehension how someone can be so dumb. It's like trying to understand the mind of an animal.

Alex is a revivalist preacher in every way except what he calls the building where he works. He tells these people exactly what they've been trained to believe their entire lives, and he does it with emotional flair. This is why they accept what he says uncritically and why they love him.

It's brain washing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

goatface posted:

Are the security services allowed? Can the secret service just demand everything because there's good chance he's made active threats against the president?

you could get a court order requiring a trusted third party review the claims of privilege rather than trust the person's attorney (which is the usual way its handled) if you're really concerned

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC it's specifically some sort of "Isreali heritage" type thing that pays for jewish kids to visit Isreal, rather than something that actually benefits their life situations or anything. I might be misremembering though.
The Kars4Kids people mostly run Jewish affiliated programs in the Northeast, as in "an explicitly Jewish after-school program and explicitly Jewish summer camp," but I think you're thinking of the "Birthright" people.

The "free vacation voucher" is a timeshare hustle, though

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's called "Iron Dome" when you get head while on Birthright.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think you're thinking of the "Birthright" people.

Yah, an ex of mine went to Israel via that Birthright thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really hope this phase of the trial is over today.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the next episode of Knowledge Fight will just be Dan, Jordan, Mark and Bill laughing for 3 hours straight

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

bigperm posted:

I genuinely appreciate having a forum in events like these. I remember being a teenager and deciding that I wanted to be on the best forums on the internet and this is what I chose and the fact that it's still here to watch Alex Jones get snapped with his pants down in TYOOL 2022 is a blessing.

same

more events should have what amounts to a twitch chat for people to ogle, gawk and dunk on the people involved

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Goddamn, I didn't think there'd be more to this trail. Thankfully I caught the last bit of the stream where the January 6 committee got mentioned.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He show up in jus overalls with the rear end out saying "me bankruptcy your majesty!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Thank gently caress Susan Collins isn’t the judge.

I appreciate this.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

duz posted:

It's called "Iron Dome" when you get head while on Birthright.

:lol:

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I am presently stream-less and distraught. I take it nothing much is happening yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Plan R posted:

I am presently stream-less and distraught. I take it nothing much is happening yet?

jury's still deliberating