Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Call me a Swedish elitists but jury-rulings are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1555302445265440772

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
5 Mil or one candy coated apology from Mr Jones will do :shobon:

soft jury

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Remember that he has a long way to go with a whole lot of probably much worse poo poo coming his way than just this judgment

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sure hope the CT case can hit him harder

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Main Paineframe posted:

eh, it makes sense

if the jury was gonna do "gently caress-em-up" numbers you'd see that in the punitive phase, not in the compensation phase which is p clearly supposed to be based on hard numbers of financial harm done

I had glanced somewhere the max for punitive is $750k. Maybe in this thread. Someone prove me wrong, please.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Lol

just

lol

America fails again

red19fire
May 26, 2010

One dollar per person who viewed jones’ lies about sandy hook is too much to ask. gently caress these jurors.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol worse than even i thought.
"would you take a check today judge?" type money

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

welp

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Hopefully the phone stuff completely destroys Jones in the long run. Either that or he farts himself to death.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Yeah, no idea how much better/worst the next few cases will go, but Alex has a lot more coming for him after this regardless.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Punitive are capped at 2x economic damages plus $750k, so if economic damages were $4m the max punitive could be would be $8.75 million if I'm understanding this right

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beefed Owl posted:

Remember that he has a long way to go with a whole lot of probably much worse poo poo coming his way than just this judgment

True, I guess it’s key to remember that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

I hope Neil and Scarlet have some loving peace. Just let them live a happy life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That sucks but I feel like the phone drop has unlocked levels of schadenfreude only theorized before now.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Regarding damages, as per Dan Solomon:

https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1555304329573273600

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Morter posted:

I had glanced somewhere the max for punitive is $750k. Maybe in this thread. Someone prove me wrong, please.

Nope, that’s not wrong. Texas Civ Pro 41.008

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

gently caress I missed it what happened

Judge says that Jones has to be the butler for all the plaintiff families

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
It was quite the ride while it lasted! Now we'll have to find some other drama to occupy our waking hours.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
:sigh:
:bahgawd: TORT REFORM :bahgawd:

quote:

The main difference between Connecticut and most of the states that allow punitive damages is the amount of the award. By limiting punitive damages in most cases to litigation expenses, Connecticut's punitive damages tend to be lower than other states especially those that view punitive damages as a method of punishing the wrongdoer. These states allow much higher punitive damages based on such considerations as the defendant's wealth and finances. As previously noted, some Connecticut statutes allow punitive damages for certain situations in the amount of two or three times the victim's actual damages. While this sometimes can be a sizeable amount where the victim's actual damages were significant, it does not compare to states that do not put similar limits on their punitive damages awards and instead focus on such things as punishment and the defendant's financial situation.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Plan R posted:

It was quite the ride while it lasted! Now we'll have to find some other drama to occupy our waking hours.

Oh good news, it's not done. Jones' is back on the stand tomorrow.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Be very very careful about taking any legal advice by third party goons

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1555304329573273600?t=6Vg0EZX2_fGk8fjJ8Vwy4w&s=19

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
plus, sanctions. Maybe this is a death by a thousand cuts.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah but punitive is capped at $750k so... it's not much

that's why Texas capped punitive and not compensatory. because punitive is where the jury's supposed to bust out the "gently caress you" numbers

if the jury knew punitive was capped, it'd be a different story. but that's exactly why they're not allowed to be told

but the defense lawyer accidentally leaking Jones' phone data makes this so loving worth it. that's gonna sting a lot more than 5 million bucks

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If we didn't get the phone out of this case I'd be legit mad. Of course I wanted as much money as possible for that family but hopefully something even bigger than that can come out of all this.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

:shrug:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Plus not for nothing, I bet Jones is still going to loving whine about it. Somehow this is the greatest injustice

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Still gonna be capped at 750k no matter what they award.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
another "ah! well. nevertheless," moment

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lawlicaust posted:

Still gonna be capped at 750k no matter what they award.

IANAL, but according to https://www.mcminnlaw.com/damage-caps-in-texas/

quote:

In Texas, punitive damages may not exceed more than two times the amount of economic damages plus the amount equal to non-economic damages not to exceed $750,000 or $200,000, whichever is greater. For instance, if someone sues a corporation for a brain injury case after suffering an injury due to gross negligence and this person is awarded $1.5 million to cover economic loss and $3 million to cover non-economic loss, then the total amount possible for punitive damages would be $3,750,000 (two times $1.5 million plus the $750,000 maximum amount from non-economic damages).

So if that's the case then the cap is at least 10 million.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Texass

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

This is what I was talking about yesterday, that as lovely as Alex Jones is it's really hard to prove he defamed the plaintiffs. Reynal is a terrible lawyer, and AJ is a lunatic with a large mic but only one of those is punishable. At the end of the day there's not a ton of hard evidence (the psychological assessments are valuable but only with more concrete evidence and testimony) that Jones or his followers caused the emotional harm and financial/reputation damage.

I don't know what the moral is to be gained here, sometimes lovely people get to do lovely things. I think if there's anything we can learn from this it's to be aware and try to catch people we know before they fall down that conspiracy theorist/truther rabbit hole.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ashpanash posted:

IANAL, but according to https://www.mcminnlaw.com/damage-caps-in-texas/

So if that's the case then the cap is at least 10 million.

I need to see the breakdown of charges and which were economic or not but all pain and suffering or mental anguish is non-economic. Someone have a link to which charge was which #.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

What I'm gathering so far from Bankston, random twitter users and this thread is that I have no idea what the final damages will be at all

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
This was going to be the case no matter what but the sheer amount of fundraising he can and has been doing for 5 years off this trial is worth way more to him than 5 million. This case arguably made him money.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

gently caress, just feeling down now. Not holding out any hope from here on out that anything will happen to him.

Lol and as soft as the jury was he’ll probably call them all child molesters.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/Guinebow/status/1555302302143086595?s=20&t=m_h4G6VnxNh02eGQ9gFKiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Main Paineframe posted:

that's why Texas capped punitive and not compensatory. because punitive is where the jury's supposed to bust out the "gently caress you" numbers

if the jury knew punitive was capped, it'd be a different story. but that's exactly why they're not allowed to be told

but the defense lawyer accidentally leaking Jones' phone data makes this so loving worth it. that's gonna sting a lot more than 5 million bucks

Alex is going to make more than 5 Million today alone. His fan base won't care about anything that came out during the trial. Honestly, AJ got away without any real consequences.