Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I’m just accepting the doom at this point. Nothing good ever happens in this world, and especially Texas. Mark did his best but this is the demon nation that decided to grind the lives of a bunch of people to dust when Covid hit so the number could go up and Jones is a man who makes a number go up so he’ll be fine.

I feel so loving stupid for holding out any hope before. We truly live in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Alex is also like 2 million deep in sanctions so far, so that's good.

who gets the sanctions money? plaintiffs? Texas?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spinst posted:

I seem to recall Bankston saying that the previous batch of sanctions covered his firm's legal costs fairly nicely, but I'm unclear on the distribution details.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mr. Nice! posted:

Texas civil remedies code is pretty clear. Mark may have misspoke and meant to say two times not ten times, but even then it's only 2x economic damages, and the damages awarded in this case are, per the code, non-economic damages. I've found TX supreme court precedent on a defamation case from 2020 that supports this argument when I was looking on my phone earlier. Granted that was business defamation and the court overruled for different reasons, they acknowledge the caps in a footnote citing the civil remedies code I'm using.

edit: both of these cases support the caps I'm talking about :

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1437042/150056.pdf

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1448050/181211.pdf

Yeah, this is both my reading of the Texas law and experience with law in states with similar caps. If all the damages were non-economic compensatory then the cap is indeed 750k.

Texas 41.001.5 and 41.008:

quote:

(5) "Exemplary damages" means any damages awarded as a penalty or by way of punishment but not for compensatory purposes. Exemplary damages are neither economic nor noneconomic damages. 'Exemplary damages' includes punitive damages.

Sec. 41.008. LIMITATION ON AMOUNT OF RECOVERY. (a) In an action in which a claimant seeks recovery of damages, the trier of fact shall determine the amount of economic damages separately from the amount of other compensatory damages.
(b) Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of:
(1)(A) two times the amount of economic damages; plus
(B) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or
(2) $200,000.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

spinst posted:

Sanctions usually go to lawyers fees because they cause additional costs on the firm requesting them dealing with the shenanigans causing the sanctions. It’s a way to keep one side from wasting the other side’s time and money.

Realistically, the case will cost Alex a year or two of his regular fake home salary. He wants FSS to indemnify him and pay the damages so he can do some tax fuckery.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elderbean posted:

I’m just accepting the doom at this point. Nothing good ever happens in this world, and especially Texas. Mark did his best but this is the demon nation that decided to grind the lives of a bunch of people to dust when Covid hit so the number could go up and Jones is a man who makes a number go up so he’ll be fine.

Nah, don't be feeling like that! The punitive damages will be a multiple of what was awarded as compensation. Like a whole multiple, not something like 0.5 or whatever.

And then there's literally every lovely person who he's had secret contact with, like Roger Stone, who might also be in trouble because of whatever they talked about. Plus the January 6th stuff, which is very possibly huge.

There's so much poo poo on its way!!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Stoatbringer posted:

Not really “punitive” if he pays it out of pocket change and makes it all back next week in boner pill sales, is it?
and 1,000% this whole "trial" thing has been amazing for sales. he was pushing big numbers with "the deep state is after me" now he's pushing "here's the deep state rigged trial" numbers. he has actual proof that the deep state is after him so he needs more help than ever before!

lol and he's going to live another 20-30 years.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nah, don't be feeling like that! The punitive damages will be a multiple of what was awarded as compensation. Like a whole multiple, not something like 0.5 or whatever.

And then there's literally every lovely person who he's had secret contact with, like Roger Stone, who might also be in trouble because of whatever they talked about. Plus the January 6th stuff, which is very possibly huge.

you think anyone seriously said "THIS is a guy i'm going to share my secrets with"? he's uncontrollable on his best days. most likely it's a bunch of texts of him going "come on guys!! let's do something!!!" and people gently humoring him because they know he can't keep his mouth shut. it'd be like going through trump's phone hoping for incriminating texts from other countries.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 5, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Elderbean posted:

We do live in hell

But we have tomorrow, and still 2 other cases Jones is invovled in. The CT case and the other TX case.
Plus, the 1/6 potentinal is there as well.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

and 1,000% this whole "trial" thing has been amazing for sales. he was pushing big numbers with "the deep state is after me" now he's pushing "here's the deep state rigged trial" numbers. he has actual proof that the deep state is after him so he needs more help than ever before!

lol and he's going to live another 20-30 years.

he doesnt exactly look like a healthy 50 year old man

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Digital Jedi posted:

We do live in hell

But we have tomorrow, and still 2 other cases Jones is invovled in. The CT case and the other TX case.
Plus, the 1/6 potentinal is there as well.

As someone posted in the Knowledge Fight subreddit: It's an InfoWar, not an InfoBattle. This isn't the end.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ringo Roadagain posted:

he doesnt exactly look like a healthy 50 year old man
he's got the very very best comorbidity in america: mmmmmmoney.
50 rich is 30 poor.

lol ALL of my posts are "doomer" posts right up to the second they become real

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the phone has a chance to be catastrophic and it'd be hilarious if that happens

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Elderbean posted:

Yeah I was basically hoping for punishment for Alex Jones but it seems like we may not get a whole lot of it.

Hopefully the compensation will help out the parents but the only other thing that could have come out is making Jones’ life a bit harder. I think other posters are right in that pretty much no amount of damages would have sunk Jones.

IDK I could be wrong on this one, but I feel like he’s fairly replaceable, with respect to ridiculous theories. Like anonymous shitposts on 4chan can do a pretty good job of spreading conspiracies, we’ll never be rid of that kind of poo poo. It’s more a question of whether one person who’s the lightning rod/platform/enabler for a lot of it will get punished briefly.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Elderbean posted:

I’m just accepting the doom at this point. Nothing good ever happens in this world
Rush Limbaugh is dead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

InsertPotPun posted:

he's got the very very best comorbidity in america: mmmmmmoney.
50 rich is 30 poor.

lol ALL of my posts are "doomer" posts right up to the second they become real

I mean isn’t the point of doomer posts to wallow in your own self pity? So whether they come true or not isn’t important

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"self pity"? the gently caress?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
if they find his nudes on the phone and he has a tiny hog, that will do him in. nothing else could be on there that will matter to his audience.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
He's going to poo poo himself and die on a Livestream and it's going to own.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/kellan/status/1554973117507854336

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hahahahahahaha

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Will this have any effect on his representation? I mean, will Reynal stick around, or will he be dropped? I'm not sure of the possibilities here.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This whole fiasco cost him less than half a week of sales of supplements and I will toxx that nothing is going to come from his texts at least in regards to the jan 6th committee. The American judicial system is set up to protect the rich not prosecute them

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
good thing condoleezza rice left dropbox last year. would've been awkward for her if her company had inadvertently been involved in the takedown of rightwing media.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Terminal autist posted:

This whole fiasco cost him less than half a week of sales of supplements and I will toxx that nothing is going to come from his texts at least in regards to the jan 6th committee. The American judicial system is set up to protect the rich not prosecute them

Ok, to be clear, you're saying that the J6 committee won't find anything incriminating of anyone on Alex Jones's texts, right? And you're willing to toxx and eat a ban if it's the case they find something that incriminating on someone?

I'm not going to be like IN ONE MONTH THEY MUST FIND SOMETHING, I'll say the end of this is the end of the year. You cool with that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elderbean posted:

So at least 2 jurors were already pilled, right?

The other 2 might have disagreed because they wanted more.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok, to be clear, you're saying that the J6 committee won't find anything incriminating of anyone on Alex Jones's texts, right? And you're willing to toxx and eat a ban if it's the case they find something that incriminating on someone?

I'm not going to be like IN ONE MONTH THEY MUST FIND SOMETHING, I'll say the end of this is the end of the year. You cool with that?
what happens to you if nothing happens?

or are you only comfortable making bets for other people?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Sure works for me and to clarify if that works there wont be a conviction from the contents of the alex jones phone. Also if possible instead of a ban if I fail I'd rather just donate $10 to a charity and provide proof but up to you

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

You move on with your life and keep fighting for another day

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

Sure works for me and to clarify if that works there wont be a conviction from the contents of the alex jones phone. Also if possible instead of a ban if I fail I'd rather just donate $10 to a charity and provide proof but up to you

Ok that's a fine modifier

If there's no conviction by the end of this year based on the contents of Alex Jones's phone, you'll donate $10 to a charity of your choice

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

InsertPotPun posted:

Do you not know how Toxx clauses work?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
we all had to read the post, that's our end of the toxx clause fulfilled

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

InsertPotPun posted:

"self pity"? the gently caress?

Yeah? Doomerism is just self important woe is me posting to get attention. It doesn't mean anything or have value.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It sucks but I wasn't expecting a texas jury to not have at least one chud-adjacent member, and the juror questions kinda gave it away that there was one on the bench.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I've been powering through this thread and I have to say that this hearing has unseated the previous "funniest court-related thing I've ever experienced", which was this:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/741945274901200897/962480263315734528/e621_tagging_system.mp4

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok that's a fine modifier

If there's no conviction by the end of this year based on the contents of Alex Jones's phone, you'll donate $10 to a charity of your choice

I thought their position was that there won't be anything from the phone, so the :10bux: condition is if something does happen by the end of the year.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Eeyo posted:

I thought their position was that there won't be anything from the phone, so the :10bux: condition is if something does happen by the end of the year.

They cleared it up in the second post I quoted, which I accepted

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Seth Pecksniff posted:

They cleared it up in the second post I quoted, which I accepted

Is there a charity for the Sandy Hook parents thats legit or anythig?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Bad Purchase posted:

we all had to read the post, that's our end of the toxx clause fulfilled

Lol I’m using this if it ever comes up again. Hell of a question to ask a mod lmao

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

Lol I’m using this if it ever comes up again. Hell of a question to ask a mod lmao

It’s something a first year goon knows about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Jones said anything over $2 million will take info wars off the air so good job everyone!